Mind Fixers

Read any good books lately?
Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Mind Fixers

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:28 am

Mind Fixers: Psychiatry’s Troubled Search for the Biology of Mental Illness, Anne Harrington, 2019, 366 pages
https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Fixers-Psyc ... oks&sr=1-1

In this well-researched, easy-to-read book, Anne Harrington describes the long history of the search for the causes of “mental illness,” particularly schizophrenia.

She describes the dichotomy between nature versus nurture mind fixers, the mainly psychiatrist wing looking at inherited brain chemistry for a cause, and the psychology wing, often Freudian, who look more to environmental issues and nurture as a cause.

My own opinion generally favors the nurture position, probably mostly due to my experience with owning, breeding, and observing, several breeds of dogs over a period of 70 years.

I have witnessed wonderful, playful puppies that were subjected to harsh and/or unpredictable behavior turn vicious and unpredictable or hang-dog, and unresponsive, often by well-intentioned, but ignorant, people.

On the other hand, it seems easier to make some dogs vicious (Pit Bull is one breed) and others hang-dog (Golden and Labrador Retrieves).

But, in any case, I found the book very interesting.

I also found Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by psychologist Lori Gottlieb, very interesting and entertaining, and highly recommend it.
https://www.amazon.com/Maybe-You-Should ... 151&sr=1-1
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Mind Fixers

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Hey........excellent review and lead in.

What do you think of the combo plate?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?