Unsheltered

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Unsheltered

Post by Lausten » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:42 pm

A surprisingly interesting read from Barbara Kingsolver. https://www.harpercollins.com/978006268 ... sheltered/
I mean, she's a great author, but the story was surprising. It starts out with a family that has done well, but is not exactly thriving. They inherit an old house with massive problems. This leads to finding out about the history of the house, which crosses paths with a woman who corresponded with Charles Darwin. So it keeps flashing back to that time and a teacher who is arguing with his admin about science vs the Bible. Those arguments are nothing new, but Kingsolver does an amazing job of showing the relevance of that discussion, which is now 150 plus years old.

The family is present time, including references to "the Candidate" that they are hearing in the news, who is obviously our current President. There are 4 generations in the home, so every generational argument gets played out with some amazing insight.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Unsheltered

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 pm

Nice review. I'd be (personally) surprised by any interesting bible based argument..............can you paraphrase one? It is interesting and enviable what a good author can do with a fresh premise.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:51 pm

As I said, "nothing new" in that. A couple good points were made on both sides, but I'm sure she was trying to write something that matched what would have been said in 1880 or so. The interesting part is to hear them talking as if this whole science thing is going to catch on and the Bible people will just fade away. I'm sure they thought that, but several generations since have also thought that. More interesting is the comparison of those two types of thinking being debated, then in our time, the capitalist type thinking being debated with whatever it is we will call the new economy. The millennial daughter carries that. She had lived a couple years in Cuba and tells how they had to learn to save everything from 1950, from cars to silverware because they were cut off from most of the trade with the rest of the world.

A more subtle comparison is made from the guy who financed and built the town they lived in the 1880 time. He is a blowhard, pompous, populist leader. Of course most people love him because he built the town. He eventually gets exposed. The comparison is to "The Candidate" in our time.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:52 am

Yes, if history is to teach us anything it is that religion will not be defeated by science. "Culture" could do that, "values" could do that....perhaps starting as Aquinas knew with public education?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?