No One Really Believes Their Religion

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
User avatar
TJrandom
Has No Life
Posts: 11779
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Custom Title: Salt of the earth
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by TJrandom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:51 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 pm
...she was also told her teen son would die....he did...
Of course she was overjoyed by that - knowing that he would be recycled. :roll:

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Makes me wonder if the gorgeous style of insanity is due to a natural DMT type substance inside the brain. Perhaps a fungus invading the brain ?

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 pm

don't be scared lance.....a woman's alien encounter---she was told her 2 sons would die...they soon after died in a car accident...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:01 pm

the doc was in icu and had another obe...she had no pain for two weeks when returned to her body....she checked her medical records later and found she wasn't on medication at all during that time..she refused to write about her experiences for years....then one day she felt God was there and she was literally dumped out of her bed and told 'now is the time to write it'...so she did and soon after it was finished her son died...seems God wanted her to write it before the son died...she said as a little kid her son said he would only live to 18 ...and he did...right when she completed the book she went out with another son to celebrate and got the news the other son had died....he was training as a skier for the olympics....wow...it happened that fast...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 pm

G

You are full of hearsay.

Focus on real evidence. Otherwise, all you are doing is repeating superstitions.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27455
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: No One Really Believes georgie

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm

:hmm: That's what georgie's here for, Lance.
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:47 pm

wiki------Types of legal evidence include -----testimony,---------- documentary evidence,[2] and physical evidence.[3]
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27455
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: No One Really Believes georgie

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:52 pm

Testimony by drugged people is usually not even worth the document it's recorded on.
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Legal evidence is often crap as well. When hearsay is sufficient to get a conviction, you know it is wrong.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 am

what if it is all true?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 am

What if what is all true ?

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:15 am

all the experiences nde,obes
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Wordbird » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:07 am

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:06 pm
all are not afraid of death...nders have no fear....they know the bliss that awaits them....
I actually have some serious questions for you.

The first is about people who are suffering. (I don't mean a little bit suffering, I mean, really, really, really suffering. Pointlessly.) Shouldn't we all go out and kill them? They get a free reset, right?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27455
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: No One Really Believes

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 am

Nah, you can't interfere like that with their "purpose". :roll:


Oh wait, getting killed by another could be a "purpose" too...
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 am

gorgeous wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:15 am
all the experiences nde,obes
Everyone who has a rational mind knows those things are not real. Near death experiences vary according to cultural background and can be induced by drugs or hypoxia, which shows they are simply a pathological action of a stressed brain. Out of body experiences have been tested in the laboratory. Those claiming to leave their body cannot read a note placed just out of their physical reach and report back on what it says after "reentering" their body.

Without good evidence, any person able to actually think will realise that those stories are actually fiction.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has No Life
Posts: 11779
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Custom Title: Salt of the earth
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by TJrandom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:46 am

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 pm
don't be scared lance.....a woman's alien encounter---she was told her 2 sons would die...they soon after died in a car accident...
Let me guess - she was driving? :roll:

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:45 pm

no she wasn't ...they were teens
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46 pm

lance, the doc is rational....scientists have had nde's, doctors, lawyers,...they know it was real...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Wordbird wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:07 am
gorgeous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:06 pm
all are not afraid of death...nders have no fear....they know the bliss that awaits them....
I actually have some serious questions for you.

The first is about people who are suffering. (I don't mean a little bit suffering, I mean, really, really, really suffering. Pointlessly.) Shouldn't we all go out and kill them? They get a free reset, right?
-----there might be deep reasons for the suffering...some have said if a person is terminally ill there are no repercussions if they end their life....you should ask God for specifics...in one nde I read about the person was shown souls preparing to incarnate who were given choices of parents and bodies...one rejected the option for a club foot, other options were to have ms or other disabilities....they were told the fast track in evolving is through suffering...they would have fewer lives on earth because of suffering in some lives....in a healthy, comfortable, easy life one doesn't learn much...in another nde the person was shown a homeless man in new york city...the spiritual guides said they greatly admired the man ...he was helping his friend learn compassion----his friend was a lawyer who walked by the homeless man everyday on his way to work...they had been friends in many lives....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10792
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Poodle » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 pm

That is almost disgusting. It would never happen in Pixieland.

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Wordbird » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:52 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm
Wordbird wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:07 am
The first is about people who are suffering. (I don't mean a little bit suffering, I mean, really, really, really suffering. Pointlessly.) Shouldn't we all go out and kill them? They get a free reset, right?
-----there might be deep reasons for the suffering...some have said if a person is terminally ill there are no repercussions if they end their life....you should ask God for specifics...in one nde I read about the person was shown souls preparing to incarnate who were given choices of parents and bodies...one rejected the option for a club foot, other options were to have ms or other disabilities....they were told the fast track in evolving is through suffering...they would have fewer lives on earth because of suffering in some lives....in a healthy, comfortable, easy life one doesn't learn much...in another nde the person was shown a homeless man in new york city...the spiritual guides said they greatly admired the man ...he was helping his friend learn compassion----his friend was a lawyer who walked by the homeless man everyday on his way to work...they had been friends in many lives....
If you really and truly believe that there is life after death, it's just another thing that happens. There's no special, "stop, ask God first" here when there isn't such a thing anywhere else.

If you see someone who is sick, you invent a cure. Imagine if the one who cured polio had said to himself, "Well, maybe I'd better not; there could be reasons for their suffering."

How can you speak in the same breath of learning compassion and then not practicing it? If there is a God, he gave us intellects. He intends people to think about the world around them. And according to you, he intends for people to use what they know to stop people from suffering.

If there is a reset button, and we ought to stop suffering, we ought to kill people who are suffering needlessly and can't be helped.

If suffering is the whole damn point, then we should not learn compassion. We should cause as much suffering as possible so all these poor saps get done with it and head off to Nirvana.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27455
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:58 pm

You're trying logic on georgie. Good luck with that. :paper:
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:12 pm

just telling what people have said...and salk who had polio vaccine did experiments on disabled kids lying to their parents about it...that's what 'rational' people do...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10941
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by landrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:12 pm
just telling what people have said...and salk who had polio vaccine did experiments on disabled kids lying to their parents about it...that's what 'rational' people do...
I haven't looked into the subject very much, but there is room for inquiry about how the polio vaccine came about. It might go better for you to support such claims a bit better than you do.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19012
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 pm

landrew wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm
It might go better for you to support such claims a bit better than you do.
Says the man who rarely (if ever?....at least not on request) supports his own claims. Yet, the statement is true.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:29 pm

look it up...true...they still test on vulnerable people in 3rd world countries ...look up medical crimes
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27455
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Aw, spare us your false sentiments, georgie. You don't care if people get hurt or even killed - as long as they aren't white right wingers...


Besides, according to you, all that suffering is part of the plan, ain't it?
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10941
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by landrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:39 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 pm
landrew wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm
It might go better for you to support such claims a bit better than you do.
Says the man who rarely (if ever?....at least not on request) supports his own claims. Yet, the statement is true.
Speaking of respect...
you're the one to talk.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19012
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:41 pm

Yes Landrew, I do talk of respect. I don't respect people like you who spout rules for other people to follow when you don't follow the same rules yourself. Now........just try to back up anything you say next with an actual link to anything or a consistent argument supported by a copy and paste of what you are basing your judgements, nay pronouncements, on. It would be nice to see.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34854
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Gord » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

All y'all is nuts.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46 pm
lance, the doc is rational....scientists have had nde's, doctors, lawyers,...they know it was real...
N.D.E.s are real in the same way schizophrenic hallucinations are real. Indeed, they have a very similar origin.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm

no evidence...keep making stuff up...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has No Life
Posts: 11779
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Custom Title: Salt of the earth
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by TJrandom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:47 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm
I have no evidence...I just keep making stuff up...
FIFY :lol:

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 pm

still no evidence...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27455
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: No One Really Believes georgie

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:55 pm

We know. You've got none. Zip. Zilch. Nada. :roll:
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 pm
still no evidence...
Ayahuasca, the Amazon drug that contains the hallucinogen DMT, can simulate the N.D.E. and has done so during scientific studies. Air Force personnel, who undergo anorexia training in a pressure chamber to the point of black out, also frequently experience the N.D.E.

How much evidence do you need ? It is clearly a brain defect due to drug or lack of oxygen stress.

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Wordbird » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:36 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:58 pm
You're trying logic on georgie. Good luck with that. :paper:
I'm demonstrating that Gorgeous knows full well that she shouldn't shoot people dead.

This is because she knows that dead is dead. She knows dead is not just a reset button.

She's a good person and wouldn't go out and kill people. The justification comes after, but she's acting on logic.

If she really believed death was a reset button, she would press it. For the people who she knows have suffered plenty, she would press that button.

Killing people because death is a reset button is the least of what religious people would do if they actually believed it all. They would walk off cliffs expecting to fly. They would drink poison and expect God to protect and/or heal them. But the worst they do is handle rattlesnakes... which are decently docile and actually make good pets if you don't mind mass murdering mice and having a pet that doesn't do anything.

They may say whatever, but if they didn't have logic and act on it instead of what they say they believe, they could not function.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27455
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:45 am

Wordbird wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:36 am
...wouldn't go out and kill people...
Perhaps not, but georgie surely enjoys the show when people get hurt/killed.
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10792
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Poodle » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:57 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm
... undergo anorexia training in a pressure chamber ...
Anoxia?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12987
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: No One Really Believes Their Religion

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:22 am

Poodle wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:57 am
Lance Kennedy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm
... undergo anorexia training in a pressure chamber ...
Anoxia?
Maybe hypoxia would be a better word. The anorexia is a stuff up slipped past my attention by an overactive spellcheck system,.
Last edited by Lance Kennedy on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.