Blessed are the poor....

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Blessed are the poor....

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Is there any limit to the hypocrisy of megachurch pastors? They get their own Gulf Stream jet airplanes, like Benny Hinn, or they live in sybaritic splendor like Joel Osteen of the Coprophagous Grin, and his wife, who insults and mistreats airline stewardesses (and gets away with doing so!).
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Blessed are the poor....

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 pm

The less-fortunate get all the breaks.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 am

...and cuts and dents and other damage...
Lard, save me from your followers.

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Televangelist Healed Plane Corrosion By “Laying Hands On It”
One Mile at a Time (aviation and travel)

“We went through that thing from…nose to tail and they did X-rays of the fuselage and everything looking for corrosion. And there was some—wasn’t all that bad—but the X-rays showed that there was some spots of corrosion. And so I was, I was praying over it. And just as plain, the Lord said to me, ‘Lay hands on it. I’ll heal it.’

“What?! And I’d heard it plain. ‘Well,’ he said, ‘Kenneth.’ He said, ‘Corrosion comes from the curse.’ He said, ‘I provided that airplane for you, didn’t I?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir.’ He said, ‘Lay hands on it.’ Okay. And I started praying in the spirit. And the more I prayed in the spirit, the happier I got.

“So I just went up—oh man, you talk about laying hands on that thing. I laid hands on it all over. And it’s a big old airplane. It took a while to do it, you know. Laid hands on that thing. Just laid hands on it all over it, and praised God and laid hands on that, and commanded that corrosion to leave in Jesus’ name.

“They did more X-rays and came back, and there was just one little old spot there. I said, ‘Lord, what –’ ‘No,’ He said, ‘I’m going to remind you.’ I said, ‘Uh, what are you reminding me of?’ He said, “They could have said, ‘Maybe the — maybe the X-rays were wrong.’

“Are you listening? So we laid hands on it again, and it was gone.”

Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:41 pm
... He said, ‘Corrosion comes from the curse.’ He said, ‘I provided that airplane for you, didn’t I?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir.’ ...
I'd have said or added something else entirely... :glare:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 am

Luckily God wasn't busy at the time, what with nothing else going on anywhere in the universe.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Pastor John Gray defends decision to buy wife Lamborghini for anniversary (ABC 7)
Pastor John Gray, who leads his own church in Greenville, South Carolina, and still preaches at Lakewood Church in Houston, is responding to people who criticized him for the lavish anniversary gift he gave to his wife for their eighth wedding anniversary on Dec.11.

In a video captured by R&B singer and actor Tyrese, Gray surprises his wife Aventer with a Lamborghini Urus. According to the Kelley Blue Book, the 2019 luxury SUV starts at $200,000.

Gray's wife screams when the vehicle is revealed as he is heard in the back saying, "You light my fire. Let this Lamborghini light your fire, baby!"

However, it appears that joy may have been lost in some of the comments from people who immediately questioned where the money came from to buy the vehicle, while others felt he was boasting.

Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:41 pm

“We went through that thing from…nose to tail and they did X-rays of the fuselage and everything looking for corrosion. And there was some—wasn’t all that bad—but the X-rays showed that there was some spots of corrosion. And so I was, I was praying over it. And just as plain, the Lord said to me, ‘Lay hands on it. I’ll heal it.’

“What?! And I’d heard it plain. ‘Well,’ he said, ‘Kenneth.’ He said, ‘Corrosion comes from the curse.’ He said, ‘I provided that airplane for you, didn’t I?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir.’ He said, ‘Lay hands on it.’ Okay. And I started praying in the spirit. And the more I prayed in the spirit, the happier I got.

“So I just went up—oh man, you talk about laying hands on that thing. I laid hands on it all over. And it’s a big old airplane. It took a while to do it, you know. Laid hands on that thing. Just laid hands on it all over it, and praised God and laid hands on that, and commanded that corrosion to leave in Jesus’ name.

“They did more X-rays and came back, and there was just one little old spot there. I said, ‘Lord, what –’ ‘No,’ He said, ‘I’m going to remind you.’ I said, ‘Uh, what are you reminding me of?’ He said, “They could have said, ‘Maybe the — maybe the X-rays were wrong.’

“Are you listening? So we laid hands on it again, and it was gone.”

And there is not ONE among Copeland's fans who will suggest that maybe we need more EVIDENCE than just his unsupported word to authenticate this "miracle."
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Gord wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 am
Luckily God wasn't busy at the time, what with nothing else going on anywhere in the universe.
Oh, there probably was, but God has, as we know, peculiar priorities. He's often busy watching sparrows fall from the sky when little children are starving or being incinerated in one of the volcanoes he put around in various places.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:24 am

I'm sure he has provided the report from the FAA concerning the disappearing rust.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 pm

I'm going to predict that they end up keeping the car.
There's always plenty of scripture that can be reinterpreted for the intended purpose.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 pm
There's always plenty of scripture that can be reinterpreted for the intended purpose.
And if he cannot find one, he could simply make one up. His groupies would never know.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:12 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 pm
I think you'll be proved right in your prediction. There's always that section of the Sermon on the Mount, which does a neat pole dance around the issue of "prosperity gospel." It starts out, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth...." and in the end comes round to "seek first the Kingdom of Heaven, and all these things shall be added to you." So, the prudent Christian will do whatever rigamarole is prescribed as the procedure for getting into the Kingdom of Heaven,* all the while having in mind a scriptural promise that this effort will lead to temporal prosperity.

*I'm not quite sure what the procedure is, but from what I can infer based on the communications from those who speak for God, it generally involves sending sizable chunks of money to evangelical preachers. They call it "seed money."

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:15 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 am
...and cuts and dents and other damage...
:lol: :lol: :lol: