Arguing against religion

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Lausten wrote:
Poodle wrote: You'll also notice an absolute absence of anything testable. Nothing holdable, nothing explicable. Just blatant insistence on a warped view of reality on, of all places, a skeptic forum. By Azania's logic, this forum doesn't exist, yet here he/she is, desperately dumping real {!#%@} into real posts. I mean, hypocritical doesn't really do Azania any justice.
Testable? What test would you put such profound knowledge to? It is beyond your puny tests. You can't hold it, you can't explain it. The real is just the one. Of course it seems warped to you, because all space and time is warped, it just appears solid from where you are. But that's just the nose on your face, it's not the real reality that is really reeling all around you all the time.

Wow, too easy.
And when you do not stand for one ~
you fall for all else.

WoW ~ even easier.... :lol:
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27471
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...

Anyway....I actually posted, to start with, a quibble: That indeed Azania is "here" on this forum but.........he is being roundly REJECTED on this forum. ...
That might be because of the board's history and, perhaps, the inclusion and role of said poster in it. To all appearances:
clarfyit4Az wrote:Information is cheap it is so cheap that you can even find it in your rear end. That sort of s@!t can only be based on your opinions and that of the others.
^that's S'kaka bleeding through again. And if so, projectile vomiting of verbal diarrhea will be splattered soon at nearly anyone and in any which way.
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:39 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: Why are you compelled to post on our science forum? :lol:
Azania wrote:Ive already told you, it all happens by itself .
The computer turns itself on and like a zombie you sit down and log onto the Skeptic Society forum and start posting?

Have you seen a doctor about your bizarre uncontrollable behaviour?
:lol:

Azania
Access Suspended
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Azania » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:55 am

Poodle wrote:
Azania wrote:... In my world there is nobody to do anything because nothing is being done ...
This is the first time in all of Azania's posts that I can actually agree wholeheartedly. All I can do is be thankful that Azania's world is surrounded by an impenetrable skull. Nothing's getting out of there. Certainly, nothing ever got in.

Ahh!! You see this is the paradox because you couldn't be further from the truth. On the contrary and in fact, you are in actuality referring to your own prison shell without even realising it. Were you not so foolishly ignorant you would break out and be free of it. In the embodiment of consciousness you are born to suffer and die. In an endless succession of events you believe to be real you do and then you undo. If only you paid attention to life as it is and how it happens rather than how it appears and how you imagine it you could learn so much more. The chick in its shell demonstrates more intelligence. For it knows that unless it breaks out there can only be death and suffering. Do not talk about my world like you know it, you know nothing apart from you own dream world.

Azania
Access Suspended
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Azania » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...

Anyway....I actually posted, to start with, a quibble: That indeed Azania is "here" on this forum but.........he is being roundly REJECTED on this forum. ...
That might be because of the board's history and, perhaps, the inclusion and role of said poster in it. To all appearances:
clarfyit4Az wrote:Information is cheap it is so cheap that you can even find it in your rear end. That sort of s@!t can only be based on your opinions and that of the others.
^that's S'kaka bleeding through again. And if so, projectile vomiting of verbal diarrhea will be splattered soon at nearly anyone and in any which way.
You said it! Now perhaps you should wipe bottom before you make a mess elsewhere . Lol!! Lol!!

Azania
Access Suspended
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Azania » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: Why are you compelled to post on our science forum? :lol:
Azania wrote:Ive already told you, it all happens by itself .
The computer turns itself on and like a zombie you sit down and log onto the Skeptic Society forum and start posting?

Have you seen a doctor about your bizarre uncontrollable behaviour?
:lol:

Actually some BODY turns on the computer, who and what is based on your obsession to name and shape events in time and space that you also imagine. For you it all started with your mother.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Poodle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:44 pm

Azania wrote:... Do not talk about my world like you know it, you know nothing apart from you own dream world.
Ah, there you are, Azania, completely and utterly hoist by your own petard. That single sentence of yours is blatantly self-contradictory and exposes you as what you truly are - a fraud. It's amazing how many levels of self-deception you have displayed in nineteen words. Within your uninvited command, I see that you instruct me not to talk about your world whilst insisting that I live in a dream world. Surely, even you must also live in your own dream world and thus have no knowledge of mine. Or is your world (and therefore you) a bit like a god, having a watching brief over all other worlds because you have some kind of dispensation to override your universal rules?

Your philosophy is illogical, Grasshopper. I too live in a special universe, one in which everyone who tries just a little can spot a megalomaniacal dickhead from a mile away. I don't really have to talk about your world. Your every word tells us that it's just your ego spewing trash. I won't talk too much about your world because there's so little of it - just you and your BS.

Why don't you close your eyes, cross your fingers, wish hard and then click your heels three times - you may be able to make me go away. Nah - just kidding. I always kid around with blatant but rather simple liars like you.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27471
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:04 pm

...and if Assania had even the slightest sincerity about the crap s/he's spreading, s/he wouldn't have said, "you know" but "I am nothing apart from you [sic] own dream world."
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5560
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Monster » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Azania wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: Why are you compelled to post on our science forum? :lol:
Azania wrote:Ive already told you, it all happens by itself .
The computer turns itself on and like a zombie you sit down and log onto the Skeptic Society forum and start posting?

Have you seen a doctor about your bizarre uncontrollable behaviour?
:lol:

Actually some BODY turns on the computer, who and what is based on your obsession to name and shape events in time and space that you also imagine. For you it all started with your mother.
That REALLY sounds like other users this site has had, who seemingly stopped posting here.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27471
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Monster wrote:
Azania wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: Why are you compelled to post on our science forum? :lol:
Azania wrote:Ive already told you, it all happens by itself .
The computer turns itself on and like a zombie you sit down and log onto the Skeptic Society forum and start posting?

Have you seen a doctor about your bizarre uncontrollable behaviour?
:lol:

Actually some BODY turns on the computer, who and what is based on your obsession to name and shape events in time and space that you also imagine. For you it all started with your mother.
That REALLY sounds like other users this site has had, who seemingly stopped posting here.
It's not like any single one of the self-declared enlightened no ones had no ego (quite on the contrary, many are the proud owners - and deniers - of quite massive afflictions), but there seems to be something eerily alike in the performance of many of those who come to sites like this one - or is it only our recurring navel lint observer (you know who we mean) again? And again. And again...
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Poodle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Yeah - but it's the language. It looks like it may mean something but, when you look closely, it has no content and extremely bad structure - like someone who has learned how to sound superficially clever but has no idea how to actually say anything. And then again, the attempted put-downs are extremely childish in form.

Someone's breeding the buggers somewhere. And it's nice to have a specimen to study.

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3910
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Lausten » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 pm

[ytube][/ytube]
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Azania wrote:
Poodle wrote:
Azania wrote:... In my world there is nobody to do anything because nothing is being done ...
This is the first time in all of Azania's posts that I can actually agree wholeheartedly. All I can do is be thankful that Azania's world is surrounded by an impenetrable skull. Nothing's getting out of there. Certainly, nothing ever got in.

Ahh!! You see this is the paradox because you couldn't be further from the truth. On the contrary and in fact, you are in actuality referring to your own prison shell without even realising it. Were you not so foolishly ignorant you would break out and be free of it. In the embodiment of consciousness you are born to suffer and die. In an endless succession of events you believe to be real you do and then you undo. If only you paid attention to life as it is and how it happens rather than how it appears and how you imagine it you could learn so much more. The chick in its shell demonstrates more intelligence. For it knows that unless it breaks out there can only be death and suffering. Do not talk about my world like you know it, you know nothing apart from you own dream world.
Who are you serving?
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:44 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Monster wrote:
Azania wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: Why are you compelled to post on our science forum? :lol:
Azania wrote:Ive already told you, it all happens by itself .
The computer turns itself on and like a zombie you sit down and log onto the Skeptic Society forum and start posting?

Have you seen a doctor about your bizarre uncontrollable behaviour?
:lol:
I claim to be nobody or nothing more or
less than anybody or anything else .
I think you should see the doctor I had.
He was one then he was cancer then
he was the lion and then he disappeared.
Most fun is had in a long time lol

Actually some BODY turns on the computer, who and what is based on your obsession to name and shape events in time and space that you also imagine. For you it all started with your mother.
That REALLY sounds like other users this site has had, who seemingly stopped posting here.
It's not like any single one of the self-declared enlightened no ones had no ego (quite on the contrary, many are the proud owners - and deniers - of quite massive afflictions), but there seems to be something eerily alike in the performance of many of those who come to sites like this one - or is it only our recurring navel lint observer (you know who we mean) again? And again. And again...
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Poodle wrote:Yeah - but it's the language. It looks like it may mean something but, when you look closely, it has no content and extremely bad structure - like someone who has learned how to sound superficially clever but has no idea how to actually say anything. And then again, the attempted put-downs are extremely childish in form.

Someone's breeding the buggers somewhere. And it's nice to have a specimen to study.
What bred you?

You try describing something that's
never even been heard of before ~ when
you can't show what it is. It's not easy.
Try describing nothing. Nothing is
something that everything comes from.


Ps~ your childish ego makes you look
likes ? Go look in the mirror cause I
can't describe it. :lol: :mrgreen:
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Poodle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:37 pm

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Thanks, George.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19020
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Angel says:

1. What bred you? /// My own review of Poodle's posts would say a good general education with perhaps a dip into the humanities with a life long experience of side interests and reading.

You try describing something that's
never even been heard of before ~ when
you can't show what it is. It's not easy. //// Totally dependent on what that something is. Critically important is why you can't show what "it" is. If the subject is something that is in physical reality, we have enough words to describe everything known so far...so in contest you are referencing something that doesn't exist in the real world. Yes...the fantasies of the insane are never easy.

Try describing nothing. Nothing is
something that everything comes from. //// Very easy to describe, perhaps difficult to truly understand. the good part of all that is that nothing does not need to be understood as it is nothing. Easy enough to wait for "something" to appear...and then THAT can be described.


Ps~ your childish ego makes you look
likes ? Go look in the mirror cause I
can't describe it. /// You did describe in as childish. Actually, a good description of your description.

Your first missive:

There's a huge difference between God
& religion. //// Very true...or not...depending on the issue to be discussed. God/Gods/Unicorns with certainty near absolute don't exist but according to the customs of science, they might. Even in your pants pocket, although with other customs of science your pants may not exist. (Sorry, the structure would not deny it) But the God of the Bible cannot exist due to Epicurus's Paradox. That leaves us with religion that exists in 1000's of various forms all claiming roughly the same thing. An obvious human construct with all the attendant ills.


Mostly the size of those
peoples wasted compared to God's jk lol /// Makes no sense to me. A few missing words?

God created.
People turned what God created into
a profitable business for the gov's
econ' .
God still creates.
Religious people grow old & die.
God creates more.
Hopefully one day all is gone
except God's creations.
For good. :-) //// I see several main allusions here all resulting in nothing of interest. No analysis, no application to anything relevant.

I don't remember much of my
childhood concerning God other
than I was looking for him. /// Someone told you about God. You got caught early in life as most of the religious are. A human construct.

I trusted him as my life had been
saved so many times. //// How so? You were lost and then you were found? You were lost because that was your interpretation of your circumstances...same with the save.

I probably
wanted to thanx him. Give God
the love he gives me. /// You are free to do that...all you wish.

You know ~
"I love him because he loved me first. "
bible. /// Thats a fair and proper initial response...for any child. As you grow into adulthood, you have a constant exposure to reasons to constantly review all your values and perceptions...to be continued as they are found of value and sense and comfort. To change otherwise.

God is love ~ /// Hopefully that is true. Happens not to be true in every religion I have heard about. Judgment and punishment if your God has any is not love.......in my book.

Life Omega V = point ~ balance Everything . /// Gibberish

He gave to me & I gave back so
it just keeps going. The more I give ~ the more
I get. /// A fine relationship...

This doesn't include money. God has no
money which really bugs me about religious
people saying give us ur money & God will
give u more. It doesn't work that way. /// I agree...and here of course you are talking about religion and not god.

Doh
I am the result of
the forefathers sins~//// Again religion. No loving God would impose such stupidity.

and you are the ones
who pay for the sins of
the forefathers. :lol: /// How's that? By you I assume you actually include yourself...the you being universal of which you are a part. Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

So......not a real clear argument against religion....but what you say, only has to be applied to see the stupidity of it all. More to be said to find the evil, unless one brings history to what "sins of the forefathers" has always meant. but I'm sure you have added your own private spin to what history and common understanding have it.

Plain gibberish.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:54 pm

Poodle wrote:"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Thanks, George.
Stupid creatures outside.
It's easy to tell them apart~
the pig can be trained.
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Angel says:

1. What bred you? /// My own review of Poodle's posts would say a good general education with perhaps a dip into the humanities with a life long experience of side interests and reading.

You try describing something that's
never even been heard of before ~ when
you can't show what it is. It's not easy. //// Totally dependent on what that something is. Critically important is why you can't show what "it" is. If the subject is something that is in physical reality, we have enough words to describe everything known so far...so in contest you are referencing something that doesn't exist in the real world. Yes...the fantasies of the insane are never easy.

Try describing nothing. Nothing is
something that everything comes from. //// Very easy to describe, perhaps difficult to truly understand. the good part of all that is that nothing does not need to be understood as it is nothing. Easy enough to wait for "something" to appear...and then THAT can be described.


Ps~ your childish ego makes you look
likes ? Go look in the mirror cause I
can't describe it. /// You did describe in as childish. Actually, a good description of your description.

Your first missive:

There's a huge difference between God
& religion. //// Very true...or not...depending on the issue to be discussed. God/Gods/Unicorns with certainty near absolute don't exist but according to the customs of science, they might. Even in your pants pocket, although with other customs of science your pants may not exist. (Sorry, the structure would not deny it) But the God of the Bible cannot exist due to Epicurus's Paradox. That leaves us with religion that exists in 1000's of various forms all claiming roughly the same thing. An obvious human construct with all the attendant ills.


Mostly the size of those
peoples wasted compared to God's jk lol /// Makes no sense to me. A few missing words?

God created.
People turned what God created into
a profitable business for the gov's
econ' .
God still creates.
Religious people grow old & die.
God creates more.
Hopefully one day all is gone
except God's creations.
For good. :-) //// I see several main allusions here all resulting in nothing of interest. No analysis, no application to anything relevant.

I don't remember much of my
childhood concerning God other
than I was looking for him. /// Someone told you about God. You got caught early in life as most of the religious are. A human construct.

I trusted him as my life had been
saved so many times. //// How so? You were lost and then you were found? You were lost because that was your interpretation of your circumstances...same with the save.

I probably
wanted to thanx him. Give God
the love he gives me. /// You are free to do that...all you wish.

You know ~
"I love him because he loved me first. "
bible. /// Thats a fair and proper initial response...for any child. As you grow into adulthood, you have a constant exposure to reasons to constantly review all your values and perceptions...to be continued as they are found of value and sense and comfort. To change otherwise.

God is love ~ /// Hopefully that is true. Happens not to be true in every religion I have heard about. Judgment and punishment if your God has any is not love.......in my book.

Life Omega V = point ~ balance Everything . /// Gibberish

He gave to me & I gave back so
it just keeps going. The more I give ~ the more
I get. /// A fine relationship...

This doesn't include money. God has no
money which really bugs me about religious
people saying give us ur money & God will
give u more. It doesn't work that way. /// I agree...and here of course you are talking about religion and not god.

Doh
I am the result of
the forefathers sins~//// Again religion. No loving God would impose such stupidity.

and you are the ones
who pay for the sins of
the forefathers. :lol: /// How's that? By you I assume you actually include yourself...the you being universal of which you are a part. Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

So......not a real clear argument against religion....but what you say, only has to be applied to see the stupidity of it all. More to be said to find the evil, unless one brings history to what "sins of the forefathers" has always meant. but I'm sure you have added your own private spin to what history and common understanding have it.

Plain gibberish.
I'll read it when I'm bored but it sounds
like a cheesy bot program that Prryho
created to test someone's .... LoL
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19020
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:09 pm

I bet myself your response would be dismissive.

One day....with a lot of work... you might appreciate just how transparent your "position" is.

Brains have better uses than as door stops. Try.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:04 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I bet myself your response would be dismissive.

One day....with a lot of work... you might appreciate just how transparent your "position" is.

Brains have better uses than as door stops. Try.
Try what?
You've already done it all wrong so
what's left for me to do except
to do it all right.
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19020
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Angel wrote:,,,what's left for me to do except
to do it all right.
We all look forward to that. Good luck. Expecting more of the same inanity...I'll stop posting ...absent God's direction otherwise.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:21 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Angel wrote:,,,what's left for me to do except
to do it all right.
We all look forward to that. Good luck. Expecting more of the same inanity...I'll stop posting ...absent God's direction otherwise.
I'll just chalk that one up to
something else you did wrong ;-)
You want to talk?
You know where I am. :lol:

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Cadmusteeth » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Poodle wrote:
Azania wrote:... In my world there is nobody to do anything because nothing is being done ...
This is the first time in all of Azania's posts that I can actually agree wholeheartedly. All I can do is be thankful that Azania's world is surrounded by an impenetrable skull. Nothing's getting out of there. Certainly, nothing ever got in.
More like something went in there and it snaped shut.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: Why are you compelled to post on our science forum? :lol:
Azania wrote:Ive already told you, it all happens by itself .
Matthew Ellard wrote: The computer turns itself on and like a zombie you sit down and log onto the Skeptic Society forum and start posting? Have you seen a doctor about your bizarre uncontrollable behaviour? :lol:
Azania wrote:Actually some BODY turns on the computer
That would be your body.

Have you lost control over your own body? Are you informing us your body is posting its own mystical nonsensical crap on our forum?

Then how do you know what your body is posting, you complete idiot!
:lol:

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27471
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:19 am

Maybe s/he is talking about nurse? :-P
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 am

Poodle wrote:"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which." Thanks, George.
Angel wrote:Stupid creatures outside. It's easy to tell them apart~ the pig can be trained.
It's a reference to Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:33 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Maybe s/he is talking about nurse? :-P
Well it is pretty obvious this another sock puppet of Shaka, Clarifyit4me, Placid and so on.

I think that he is compelled to post his fuzzy Vedic philosophy here, to self justify his own existence to himself. I doubt he has any friends and he bores to death, anyone he actually meets.

It doesn't matter what we post. He already hates himself and he tries to avoid dealing with his own incompetence by pretending to himself he is "teaching" us Vedic philosophy. In reality he is just another source of laughter for us.
:D

Azania
Access Suspended
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Azania » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:57 am

Poodle wrote:Just a bit, bobbo. Word salad IS one of the symptoms of schizophrenia but it also occurs outside the field of psychiatry. It always follows a certain kind of logic, though. In the case of the schizophrenic, the logic is what the broken mind has come up with as rules for today. In Azania's case, the logic is that of the wannabee wise guru. It's always easy to spot. One of its main tricks is the liberal use of juxtaposed opposites - " reality is unreal, man", "strangely strange but oddly normal" (I pinched that one from some early 70s band), "what is real is formless yet it is more solid than diamonds", that kind of stuff. Meaningless guff rather than word salad, I suppose.

You'll also notice an absolute absence of anything testable. Nothing holdable, nothing explicable. Just blatant insistence on a warped view of reality on, of all places, a skeptic forum. By Azania's logic, this forum doesn't exist, yet here he/she is, desperately dumping real {!#%@} into real posts. I mean, hypocritical doesn't really do Azania any justice.

Ignorance to is also a symptom of a broken mind only it is hardly noticed since it takes the user of the mind to recognise it. Needless to say as a mind you will recognise nothing but it's content.
Lol!! I like the way you speak of a broken mind as though yours is in full working order. Lol! In case you haven't notice Psychiatry is the study of the minds content, unless you know the minds working mechanisms what do you know of the mind apart from its content? The content of a mind is a conditioning to which it moulds itself. Certainly it would explain the level your incompetence, you fail to grasp even the simplest of logic.
All things occur inside the consciousness, outside is only in your imagination. Seriously it would help if you had a better understanding of your own language. Were I defending some stance or striking a particular pose you would have a point in regards to hypocrisy. In the field of consciousness the whole universe exists, yet it is not. I am nowhere to be found. I totally deny all that the five senses present to me for the reason aforementioned. Where then is the hypocrite and his hypocrisy? Lol!! You should look in the mirror, maybe there you will find your hypocrite. After all it is you that claims to be something in particular. But if you are going to be sceptical about it you should start with yourself. If you did you would be more weary of your mother and what she has told you lol!! Lol! Lol!!

Azania
Access Suspended
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Azania » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:05 am

Angel wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Angel says:

1. What bred you? /// My own review of Poodle's posts would say a good general education with perhaps a dip into the humanities with a life long experience of side interests and reading.

You try describing something that's
never even been heard of before ~ when
you can't show what it is. It's not easy. //// Totally dependent on what that something is. Critically important is why you can't show what "it" is. If the subject is something that is in physical reality, we have enough words to describe everything known so far...so in contest you are referencing something that doesn't exist in the real world. Yes...the fantasies of the insane are never easy.

Try describing nothing. Nothing is
something that everything comes from. //// Very easy to describe, perhaps difficult to truly understand. the good part of all that is that nothing does not need to be understood as it is nothing. Easy enough to wait for "something" to appear...and then THAT can be described.


Ps~ your childish ego makes you look
likes ? Go look in the mirror cause I
can't describe it. /// You did describe in as childish. Actually, a good description of your description.

Your first missive:

There's a huge difference between God
& religion. //// Very true...or not...depending on the issue to be discussed. God/Gods/Unicorns with certainty near absolute don't exist but according to the customs of science, they might. Even in your pants pocket, although with other customs of science your pants may not exist. (Sorry, the structure would not deny it) But the God of the Bible cannot exist due to Epicurus's Paradox. That leaves us with religion that exists in 1000's of various forms all claiming roughly the same thing. An obvious human construct with all the attendant ills.


Mostly the size of those
peoples wasted compared to God's jk lol /// Makes no sense to me. A few missing words?

God created.
People turned what God created into
a profitable business for the gov's
econ' .
God still creates.
Religious people grow old & die.
God creates more.
Hopefully one day all is gone
except God's creations.
For good. :-) //// I see several main allusions here all resulting in nothing of interest. No analysis, no application to anything relevant.

I don't remember much of my
childhood concerning God other
than I was looking for him. /// Someone told you about God. You got caught early in life as most of the religious are. A human construct.

I trusted him as my life had been
saved so many times. //// How so? You were lost and then you were found? You were lost because that was your interpretation of your circumstances...same with the save.

I probably
wanted to thanx him. Give God
the love he gives me. /// You are free to do that...all you wish.

You know ~
"I love him because he loved me first. "
bible. /// Thats a fair and proper initial response...for any child. As you grow into adulthood, you have a constant exposure to reasons to constantly review all your values and perceptions...to be continued as they are found of value and sense and comfort. To change otherwise.

God is love ~ /// Hopefully that is true. Happens not to be true in every religion I have heard about. Judgment and punishment if your God has any is not love.......in my book.

Life Omega V = point ~ balance Everything . /// Gibberish

He gave to me & I gave back so
it just keeps going. The more I give ~ the more
I get. /// A fine relationship...

This doesn't include money. God has no
money which really bugs me about religious
people saying give us ur money & God will
give u more. It doesn't work that way. /// I agree...and here of course you are talking about religion and not god.

Doh
I am the result of
the forefathers sins~//// Again religion. No loving God would impose such stupidity.

and you are the ones
who pay for the sins of
the forefathers. :lol: /// How's that? By you I assume you actually include yourself...the you being universal of which you are a part. Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

So......not a real clear argument against religion....but what you say, only has to be applied to see the stupidity of it all. More to be said to find the evil, unless one brings history to what "sins of the forefathers" has always meant. but I'm sure you have added your own private spin to what history and common understanding have it.

Plain gibberish.
I'll read it when I'm bored but it sounds
like a cheesy bot program that Prryho
created to test someone's .... LoL

Lol! It looks like a decrative role of toilet paper.

Azania
Access Suspended
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Azania » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:09 am

Angel wrote:
Azania wrote:
Poodle wrote:
Azania wrote:... In my world there is nobody to do anything because nothing is being done ...
This is the first time in all of Azania's posts that I can actually agree wholeheartedly. All I can do is be thankful that Azania's world is surrounded by an impenetrable skull. Nothing's getting out of there. Certainly, nothing ever got in.

Ahh!! You see this is the paradox because you couldn't be further from the truth. On the contrary and in fact, you are in actuality referring to your own prison shell without even realising it. Were you not so foolishly ignorant you would break out and be free of it. In the embodiment of consciousness you are born to suffer and die. In an endless succession of events you believe to be real you do and then you undo. If only you paid attention to life as it is and how it happens rather than how it appears and how you imagine it you could learn so much more. The chick in its shell demonstrates more intelligence. For it knows that unless it breaks out there can only be death and suffering. Do not talk about my world like you know it, you know nothing apart from you own dream world.
Who are you serving?

The self of course. There is only the self.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Poodle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:26 am

Oh, what a jolly wag you are, Azania. I haven't lolled so much for - oh - at least three seconds. Let's see what you're up to today, you little scamp! Lol.

"In case you haven't notice Psychiatry is the study of the minds content". Good one. BS, but the best of BS. Look up the word.

"Seriously it would help if you had a better understanding of your own language." Lollylollylol!

"In the field of consciousness the whole universe exists, yet it is not." There it is, bobbo - the negation conveying the impression of deep wisdom. In his dreams.

"If you did you would be more weary of your mother and what she has told you lol!! Lol! Lol!!" Weary? My Mum? She makes much more sense than you. Don't worry, though - I know you meant 'wary' and it's simply your bad English showing through. What is your native language, by the way?

Well, thanks for today's morning giggles, you zaney person (geddit?). I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's episode and more toilet references. Byeeeee.

Azania
Access Suspended
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Azania » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:01 am

Poodle wrote:Oh, what a jolly wag you are, Azania. I haven't lolled so much for - oh - at least three seconds. Let's see what you're up to today, you little scamp! Lol.

"In case you haven't notice Psychiatry is the study of the minds content". Good one. BS, but the best of BS. Look up the word.

"Seriously it would help if you had a better understanding of your own language." Lollylollylol!

"In the field of consciousness the whole universe exists, yet it is not." There it is, bobbo - the negation conveying the impression of deep wisdom. In his dreams.

"If you did you would be more weary of your mother and what she has told you lol!! Lol! Lol!!" Weary? My Mum? She makes much more sense than you. Don't worry, though - I know you meant 'wary' and it's simply your bad English showing through. What is your native language, by the way?

Well, thanks for today's morning giggles, you zaney person (geddit?). I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's episode and more toilet references. Byeeeee.

Lol!! I have not stopped laughing since... In fact my sides are hurting, so much so that I'm going to have to stop posting for a while otherwise you are going to burst my sides. Lol! But then again... I don't know about being a skeptics but you sure make a good comedian lol!!!


I knew I would have to give you the ABC at some point. Here is the definition of psychiatry :

The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders

Anybody with the slightest bit of intelligence would see that the definition presupposes or even implies if you like that there are various states to the mind. The mental and the emotional are quite simply states of mind . Which in turn qualifies them as content despite their order. A prelonged state of mind leads to a condition, mind is moulded to the conditions in which it is exposed to. Naturally if you are exposed to stupidity for too long your condition is bound to be one of unintelligence. Next! Lol!!

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3910
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Lausten » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Azania wrote:
Poodle wrote: A prelonged state of mind leads to a condition, mind is moulded to the conditions in which it is exposed to. Naturally if you are exposed to stupidity for too long your condition is bound to be one of unintelligence. Next! Lol!!
Well, there you go again. Describing reality, then claiming it supports your imaginary dream world of one consciousness outside the mind that we could all see if we figuratively open our eyes, but can't see with our literal eyes, but you can because, oh wait, there is not because from you, because it's not about causes, it just is.

You get it, but you don't get it. We are moulded by our experiences. <- period. That includes you. There's no way out of Munchausen's trilemma. We can build toward higher probability of knowing the truth, but we can't know when we have reached ultimate truth. Personally, I'm pretty sure we are way off at the moment. We need to worry more about this whole food and air deal for a while, then we can get back to ultimate truth.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by gorgeous » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:14 pm

here's a leading scientist who seemed to have trouble with reality... ...why did he say everything is made of things that aren't real??
--------"If quantum mechanics hasn’t profoundly shocked you, you haven’t understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.” -― Niels Bohr, Essays 1932-1957 on Atomic Physics and Human Knowledge
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Poodle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Azania wrote:I knew I would have to give you the ABC at some point. Here is the definition of psychiatry :

The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders
Very good, Azania! Take two gold stars. Keep doing as I ask and you'll soon be clever. Now - why didn't you say that in the first place? What's that you say? "Because I was BS". Was that it? Well, I'm going to have to take back one of the gold stars because your reasoning in the attempt to plead that "the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders" is the same as "content" is not very good. Comically bad, in fact. And then I'm going to take back the other one because you didn't admit to BS in the first place.

Now, go away and learn all about the big clue that nice man Lausten gave you - the Münchhausen trilemma. Make sure you know all about it because we'll be asking questions when you return.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10797
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Poodle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Gorgeous, here's something I'd like you to do. Read about molecules and you'll discover that they consist of atoms. Read about atoms and you'll discover that they're made up of electrons, protons and (all but one) neutrons. Keep reading until you discover that those particles aren't all squashed together in a single lump, but that most of the 'space' occupied by an atom is empty. Read about walls and you'll find out that they're made up of molecules which are made up of atoms and are therefore mostly empty space. And the same applies to your body.

Now, face the wall. Count up to ten and then sprint as fast as you can toward that wall. Keep going. You'll pass easily through so much empty space, won't you? After you've put ointment on your bumps and scrapes, tell us how unreal the wall was.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19020
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Münchhausen trilemma...first time hearing that. I actually knew the elements, thought it was just Greek Philosophy. Kinda denigrating the Greeks to put an 18th Century German name to it? Thats how we lose our cultural roots. Truth built on the logic of the axiomatic...is my takeaway.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3910
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Lausten » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:20 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Münchhausen trilemma...first time hearing that. I actually knew the elements, thought it was just Greek Philosophy. Kinda denigrating the Greeks to put an 18th Century German name to it? Thats how we lose our cultural roots. Truth built on the logic of the axiomatic...is my takeaway.
I don't think Agrippa expresses it as well. That's why. We lose nothing.

Dissent – the uncertainty of the rules of common life, and of the opinions of philosophers
Progress ad infinitum – All proof requires some further proof, and so on to infinity.
Relation – All things are changed as their relations become changed, or, as we look upon them from different points of view.
Assumption – The truth asserted is merely a hypothesis.
Circularity – The truth asserted involves a vicious circle (see regress argument, known in scholasticism as diallelus).
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3910
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Lausten » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Poodle wrote:Gorgeous, here's something I'd like you to do. Read about molecules and you'll discover that they consist of atoms. Read about atoms and you'll discover that they're made up of electrons, protons and (all but one) neutrons. Keep reading until you discover that those particles aren't all squashed together in a single lump, but that most of the 'space' occupied by an atom is empty. Read about walls and you'll find out that they're made up of molecules which are made up of atoms and are therefore mostly empty space. And the same applies to your body.

Now, face the wall. Count up to ten and then sprint as fast as you can toward that wall. Keep going. You'll pass easily through so much empty space, won't you? After you've put ointment on your bumps and scrapes, tell us how unreal the wall was.
I've been working on my golf game lately, which means I've been trying to pass a small round object through a tree often enough to get some data. Given my success rate, I'd say trees are 10% solid.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com