How to explain what happens after you die to an 8 year old

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: How to explain what happens after you die to an 8 year o

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 am

Martin Brock wrote:
nmblum wrote:Perhaps to someone to someone with an inflated sense of his own wit, or the quality of his amusements.

Well, I can't have an inflated sense of your wit. Only you can have that.
Of course you can't.
Because the operative word is "sense."

Some modicum of sense is required for even the simplest thought.. and without any at all, you are, quite understandably at a disadvantage.
And have been since even before you embarked on your "i'm nobody's straw man" song and dance I'n this Forum...

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Nucken Futs

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 am

Martin Brock wrote:It's called a sense of humor.
I got it.

Drugs as the ultimate solution to existential angst is a running joke. Up your lithium. And I get the double entendre of giving kids drugs to avoid difficult questions. Who would give a kid valium? And the triple entendre barb at the very real and legitimate concern over the over-diagnosed and over-prescribed culture of drugging children with "behavioural problems".

The thing I love about the English language is the economy of words. Not that one doesn't need to use many words to express an idea, but that the artful writer might couch many ideas in that same sparsity.

Read between the lines, so to speak. But don't take that literally, because it's blank there and there's not much to talk about.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:17 pm

For reasons in now way connected with the way in which various adults deal with the inevitable childhood questions about death, what it is, and who gets to try it, I just remembered that Philip Larkin, a favorite poet, had something to say in the matter....
and here it is (a fragment from "Aubade."):

"This is a special way of being afraid
No trick dispels. Religion used to try,
That vast moth-eaten musical brocade
Created to pretend we never die,
And specious stuff that says no rational being
Can fear a thing it cannot feel, not seeing
That this is what we fear – no sight, no sound,
No touch or taste or smell, nothing to think with,
Nothing to love or link with,
The anaesthetic from which none come round.

And so it stays just on the edge of vision,
A small unfocused blur, a standing chill
That slows each impulse down to indecision.
Most things may never happen: this one will,
And realisation of it rages out
In furnace fear when we are caught without
People or drink. Courage is no good:
It means not scaring others. Being brave
Lets no-one off the grave.
Death is no different whined at than withstood."
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Just tell him as a Skeptic where you will be going after the maggots get done with you and see if he wants to join you. Or tell him about the choice he has for eternal life if he is a believer. You cannot explain what happens after you die to an 8 year old when you haven't even thought about it yourself. You know you have to deal with that question and thought even sooner than he does and as a Skeptic your options are limited as is an Atheist. So what would you like to happen to your 8 year old after he dies? End up like you a confused optionless maggot leftover.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm

justinrapper wrote:Just tell him as a Skeptic where you will be going after the maggots get done with you and see if he wants to join you. Or tell him about the choice he has for eternal life if he is a believer. You cannot explain what happens after you die to an 8 year old when you haven't even thought about it yourself. You know you have to deal with that question and thought even sooner than he does and as a Skeptic your options are limited as is an Atheist. So what would you like to happen to your 8 year old after he dies? End up like you a confused optionless maggot leftover.
LOL... the most ungodly thought ever: that one has a choice in anything, much less what happens to us, or our children, or our house pets after death.
Am I mistaken?
Doesn't the omnipotence of god cancel out what any mere human might have in mind for himself?
Or those he loves?
Or hates?
But dear friend, thank you for your cheerful image: as food for the maggots at least we provide something positive on behalf of the continuum of life on the planet.
Am I mistaken?
Is a maggot not LIFE? On of god's creatures?
But there, I thank you again, no matter your reply: you have reminded me how nasty as well as what easy purveyors of untruths the ordinary believer can be.
And that's a good thing to remember... as it was to know in the first place.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 pm

nmblum wrote:
justinrapper wrote:Just tell him as a Skeptic where you will be going after the maggots get done with you and see if he wants to join you. Or tell him about the choice he has for eternal life if he is a believer. You cannot explain what happens after you die to an 8 year old when you haven't even thought about it yourself. You know you have to deal with that question and thought even sooner than he does and as a Skeptic your options are limited as is an Atheist. So what would you like to happen to your 8 year old after he dies? End up like you a confused optionless maggot leftover.
LOL... the most ungodly thought ever: that one has a choice in anything, much less what happens to us, or our children, or our house pets after death.
Am I mistaken?
Doesn't the omnipotence of god cancel out what any mere human might have in mind for himself?
Or those he loves?
Or hates?
But dear friend, thank you for your cheerful image: as food for the maggots at least we provide something positive on behalf of the continuum of life on the planet.
Am I mistaken?
Is a maggot not LIFE? On of god's creatures?
But there, I thank you again, no matter your reply: you have reminded me how nasty as well as what easy purveyors of untruths the ordinary believer can be.
And that's a good thing to remember... as it was to know in the first place.

Norma Manna Blum
There isn't much left to say to Skeptics who leave it to the maggots to decide what happens to them after they die. Maggots are not known to discriminate but I am sure all that Skeptic doubt and negativity is not only distasteful to critics but maggots as well and the possibility they leave some Skeptics to just rot is not what one would share with a 8 year old..
God made maggots to dispose of that which cannot enter heaven and that doesn't leave much of Skeptics and Atheist. It is rough enough being a Skeptic and even worse ending as one.
Last edited by justinrapper on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 am

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out, into your stomach and out your mouth.

Have you made plans for your double-concrete, triple-walled-copper or iron casket to make sure the maggots don't get you?

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Post by izittrue » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:40 am

I plan to outlive the maggots so far so good.
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Post by izittrue » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:42 am

I guess I need to update my sig as my son is now 14. Yikes.
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 am

This discussion reminds me of the song "Madeline" by Jonathan Coulton. It starts out "If it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger/But if it kills you you'll be dead."
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Nucken Futs

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:25 am

Chachacha wrote:The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out, into your stomach and out your mouth.

Have you made plans for your double-concrete, triple-walled-copper or iron casket to make sure the maggots don't get you?
Actually, I'm considering donating my body to forensic science so students can chuck my corpse under a shrub and study the decomposition process. That would be an ideal "burial" for me. You see, I want my nutrients to be re-dispersed into the Great Carbon Cycle as quickly and efficiently as possible. Slowly slumping into liquid putrefaction over a span of decades locked in a box six feet under is repellent to me. Cremation is no good, because it destroys all the nutrients I've worked so hard all my life to collect. If mincing me up into blood & bone fertiliser was an option, I might go with that. As it stands, the option I'll probably go for is a shroud burial in a shallow grave, with a tree planted on top of me. But there are still only a few places that do that.

Once this shell is spent, I'd like to give it back.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Anomaly
Poster

Post by Anomaly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:49 am

The idea of donating your own body to science is a good choice. By doing so you can continue to impact and influence the life of other people even in death, if research provides useful knowledge that is.

But remember the burial is in essence not a ritual intended to satisfy or benefit needs or desires of the deceased person. The ritual is one serving no purpose to the no longer existing self, but a ritual with purpose of influencing psychological aspects of those who must let go of the one that passed away.

Regardless. Once this shell is spent, it is not about giving back or not. The laws of Thermodynamics implies no option to choose if, only how.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:34 am

Sometimes religious folks forget what they are stomping and hollering and carrying on about:
"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." (Genesis 3:19)
And if on your way to returning to dust, a maggot or two gets to enjoy a square meal, what is so terrible about that?
Maggots have to live too.
For some humans it could be the last chance to show generosity in a good cause:
abetting the perpetuation of life on the planet...

NMB
Skepticism:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:34 am

I'm taking mine with me.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:05 am

izittrue wrote:I guess I need to update my sig as my son is now 14. Yikes.
Sneaks up on you, don't it? :)

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Martin Brock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 am

Chachacha wrote:Sneaks up on you, don't it? :)
Don't worry, Cha. You'll never outgrow your sig.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:55 am

Martin Brock wrote:
You're a mess, Martin.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Chachacha wrote:
Martin Brock wrote:
You're a mess, Martin.
And besides being such mess, if there's anything Martin knows nothing about it's outgrowing of one's signature: his own is that of a not-too-bright secondary school debater.

NMB
Skepticism:

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I think of the afterlife as an excellent opportunity for early retirement.

As far as the OP is concerned... it's pretty miraculous that so many of you can talk after you die and explain it to an 8 year old. Maybe you are already dead and your opinions are transmissions from your future state.

Based on my reading of the tea leaves here I would tell an 8 year old to:
"Ask your mother!"
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:39 pm

vanderpoel wrote:I think of the afterlife as an excellent opportunity for early retirement.

As far as the OP is concerned... it's pretty miraculous that so many of you can talk after you die and explain it to an 8 year old. Maybe you are already dead and your opinions are transmissions from your future state.

"Ask your mother!"
Will she tell the 8 year old the truth that the old man was not the father and that was no ordinary soup she fed him or show the kid the confused optionless maggot leftovers of him.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:48 am

vanderpoel wrote:I think of the afterlife as an excellent opportunity for early retirement.

"Ask your mother!"

LOL... applying a fine old tradition to the "death chat."

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:01 am

justinrapper wrote:

"Ask your mother!"
Will she tell the 8 year old the truth that the old man was not the father and that was no ordinary soup she fed him or show the kid the confused optionless maggot leftovers of him.
Now THAT'S a really morbid interpolation.... "your real father is..." belongs to another conversation entirely.
But about those maggots: insects, worms, maggots (dead of course) supply protein to a fair number of the earth's human inhabitants...
No reason really why we humans shouldn't return the favor when we no longer have any need... as in dead.. for the casing we came wrapped in.
Why the obsession with the maggot?
Compared to what Christian theology promises you...""And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death" (Revelation 20:14) being eaten by maggots or even a lion sounds quick and easy.
Go for the maggot!! See ya there!!

NMB
Skepticism:

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:41 am

Since the conversation has stalled on maggots, I will take advantage of an opportunity to share my favorite maggot story:

While walking my now-long-dead dog on the beach one day, we happened upon the carcass of a sea turtle, still in the shell, but flipped over so the turtle-part was exposed. Said dog, grabbed the turtle head and pulled, and the skin came of with the head and exposed the shell was FULL of maggots! Ewwwwwwww! I grabbed the dog to see if he had maggots on his face; and kept grabbing him throughout the day to check again!

I was lucky I had him on a leash or he would have taken a dive into the shell to eat AND roll in the maggots!

:lol:

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Post by Donnageddon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:40 am

Chachacha wrote:Since the conversation has stalled on maggots, I will take advantage of an opportunity to share my favorite maggot story:

While walking my now-long-dead dog on the beach one day:
Dear God, woman! Why the hell would you walk a long-dead-dog!

Are you some kind of monster?!?

Oh well, it is almost Halloween.
My name is not Donna.

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Post by Donnageddon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:45 am

Since I came out as an Atheist/Agnostic* to my sister-in-law, I have to answer the OP's question to full grown adults.

My answer to them is: I don't know. But I don't believe it is what you believe.

Could almost be anything.

But definitely not what you believe.

* Atheist because I do not believe in any god(*s). Agnostic because I don't know the answer to unknowable questions.
Last edited by Donnageddon on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is not Donna.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:48 am

Donnageddon wrote:
Chachacha wrote:Since the conversation has stalled on maggots, I will take advantage of an opportunity to share my favorite maggot story:

While walking my now-long-dead dog on the beach one day:
Dear God, woman! Why the hell would you walk a long-dead-dog!

Are you some kind of monster?!?

Oh well, it is almost Halloween.
C'mon now, Cha said it was a story.
Like Dear God.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 am

Oh no, I've been exposed as a person who drags a now-long-dead dog down the beach, and I thought I had so cleverly hid the truth!

I just hope no one figures out what REALLY happened with the maggots.

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Post by Donnageddon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:40 am

CCC Ha Ha Ha, that is a story best left for the grave.
My name is not Donna.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:29 am

Speak of maggots and dead dogs, a friend just told me that Billy Graham's web site has officially removed the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) from his list of cults.
Which brought a few questions to mind, and what better place to ask them but here?

Is Billy Graham still with us, well past his biblically allotted "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away." (Psalms of David 90:10)
"
And is there a specifically ordained Christian standard for what is and what isn't a cult?

Clearly there is more to this stuff than meets the eye of the scoffer who whom cult and religion are one and the same thing.
As in one man's cult is another man's Vatican.

Any help out there?

NMB
Skepticism:

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Post by Donnageddon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 am

No help here NMB, but there is this
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/1 ... y-meeting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a section of the website called Billy Graham's My Answer there had been the question "What is a cult?"

Answer: "A cult is any group which teaches doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith."

"Some of these groups are Jehovah's Witnesess, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spritualists, Scientologists, and others,"
and
The information about cults can be found on cached sections of the website on Archive.org from June 5, 2010
Is there a difference between "Christianity" and "Mormanism" cult-wise?

Nah. Cults are a few hundred people thinking impossible things, religions start that way, but are "fruitful and multiply" into millions.

That is where the Shakers went wrong. How can you grow a cult, when you are not allowed to {!#%@}? Ever?
My name is not Donna.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:47 am

Wow.. Billy Graham really has balls!!
By his definition of cult: "A cult is any group which teaches doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith." Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism,...in all their varieties.... are cults..
Numbers according to Billy have nothing to do with it.
And of course the Shakers violated the biblical "go forth and multiply" directive from god...abstinence is plainly bad for more than mental health.
But now.. praise Obama.. the Latter Day Saints have been removed from cult and elevated to Presidential..
Good job.

NMB
Skepticism:

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Terrible things happen when you Americanize things. Take Billy Graham he once said Richard Nixon was innocent. Billy Graham like Jerry Falwell has politicized religion. Mormonism was declared a cult but the church leaders are pressured to change their stance because the Mitt is their GOP candidate.
See what happens when you Americanize the priesthood...pedophilia.
See what happens when you Americanize the boy scouts...sexual abuse of young boys.
And then there are the sexual abuse in American schools and sports etc. etc.
What the OP should read. " How to explain to a 8 year old what Americans are like before they die."

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:10 pm

justinrapper wrote:Terrible things happen when you Americanize things. Take Billy Graham he once said Richard Nixon was innocent. Billy Graham like Jerry Falwell has politicized religion. Mormonism was declared a cult but the church leaders are pressured to change their stance because the Mitt is their GOP candidate.
See what happens when you Americanize the boy scouts...sexual abuse of young boys.
What the OP should read. " How to explain to a 8 year old what Americans are like before they die."
Nice try, troll.

To set the record straight, the above cited sexual abuses are not unique to the United States. It is a problem in many countries.

See for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting_sex_abuse_cases
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Cath ... buse_cases
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_sexual_abuse

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:31 pm

xouper wrote:
justinrapper wrote:Terrible things happen when you Americanize things. Take Billy Graham he once said Richard Nixon was innocent. Billy Graham like Jerry Falwell has politicized religion. Mormonism was declared a cult but the church leaders are pressured to change their stance because the Mitt is their GOP candidate.
Nice try, troll.

To set the record straight, the above cited sexual abuses are not unique to the United States. It is a problem in many countries.

See for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting_sex_abuse_cases
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Cath ... buse_cases
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_sexual_abuse
From your links every report points to America as the leader in all categories.
There were 2,000 US cases of abuse within the Boy Scouts of America prior to 1994, and one abuse incident was as recent as 2006.
In the United States, which has been the lead focus of much of the scandals and subsequent reforms
The US Department of Health and Human Services reported 83,600 substantiated reports of sexually abused children in 2005.[150][151] Including incidents which were not reported would make the total number even larger

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Hey Justinrapper, since you're bashing Americans I assume we denied your visa but just for the record you might reveal where you're from so we can return the favor by looking into your own national disgraces.

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:42 pm

vanderpoel wrote:Hey Justinrapper, since you're bashing Americans I assume we denied your visa but just for the record you might reveal where you're from so we can return the favor by looking into your own national disgraces.
What makes you think you are an American? No one accepts Hawaiian birth certificates as proof anymore.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Someone not worth mentioning wrote:Terrible things happen when you Americanize things
Yeah, like cheese. Take some cheddar, water it down, wrap it in plastic, and you have American Cheese. I hate that stuff.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:56 pm

justinrapper wrote:
vanderpoel wrote:Hey Justinrapper, since you're bashing Americans I assume we denied your visa but just for the record you might reveal where you're from so we can return the favor by looking into your own national disgraces.
What makes you think you are an American? No one accepts Hawaiian birth certificates as proof anymore.
What makes you think I had a Hawaiian birth? Are you using the same selective analytical skills you demonstrated above?

justinrapper
BANNED

Post by justinrapper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:15 pm

vanderpoel wrote:
justinrapper wrote:
What makes you think I had a Hawaiian birth? Are you using the same selective analytical skills you demonstrated above?
Are you prepared to release your long form birth certificate?

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:17 pm

justinrapper wrote:
vanderpoel wrote:
justinrapper wrote:
Are you prepared to release your long form birth certificate?
As soon as I hear you're not from a country on our watch list.