Methamphetamine America

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: Methamphetamine America

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 pm

And relevant to all of it, integrity, criminal tendency, addiction, even venality:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opini ... science-an

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Post by angawawa » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Page Not Found. You know when you call someone and it's pretty important, and the phone is busy? Have you ever found yourself overcome by irrational anger? Like, how dare you talk on the phone to someone else when I want you?
How dare they tell me the page is not found!!!

Maybe it's just me...
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 pm

angawawa wrote:Page Not Found. You know when you call someone and it's pretty important, and the phone is busy? Have you ever found yourself overcome by irrational anger? Like, how dare you talk on the phone to someone else when I want you?
How dare they tell me the page is not found!!!

Maybe it's just me...

No, it's me.... technologically impaired including the vocabulary AND the system that seems to serve others without fail.
Try this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opini ... ty.html?hp

But like everyone else in the world, I firmly believe that my anger is NEVER irrational but rather a response to some failure on the part of whomever I am dealing with.... OR society in general. Even, occasionally, nature.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:40 am

Welcome to our little BB fanblog, angawawa!
angawawa wrote:Omygod, omygod, omygod. I am totally freaking out. Is this just a feeling you have or have you heard a rumor?
Just a gess, but based on how much spirit Joss invested in the show, it woud be weird if he didnt try for a sequel or a new seriez. And considering the giant and growing obsessed fanbase, how coud he not succeed?
My favorite thing about BB is the transformation of Walter.
Its odd, but I dont see it az tranzformation. I know its how they intend and everybody seez it that way, but I see it az Walt giving up on a facade.

Money and power let people be who they really are. Facing death can enable the same freedom.

Norma, part uv your interpretation iz that Walter iz a milquetoast, a man uv weak character, an 'expert' ( an ex iz a hazbeen, a spurt iz a drip under pressure) under the ultimate pressure. Certainly valid. From watching the extraz and commentaryz, thats wuts intended. But I see it az him breaking the chainz uv oppression and doing thingz hiz way for a change. Good or bad, smart or foolish, he just duz it.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:54 am

nmblum wrote:And you, Jo? What do YOU think, two weeks into it
The 1st episode seemed a little subdued. I wuz even a little worried that maybe theyd hired a hack writer with action caper credentialz for a wile. But I got into it on the second viewing. I got into the 2nd episode from the start, plus it had more uv the dark humor element to it.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:24 am

Still catching up here -
angawawa wrote:I had an unfortunate and short-lived relationship with meth myself, and because of this - the 3 or 4 hour long trips from dealer to dealer, visiting some very scary places and people, the jaw-aching jonesing - I became acquainted with people just like those in Winter's Bone.
I dont want to offend anybody, but I actually envy your perspective on Breaking Bad. You are an insider like I can never be! I like to joke about taking drugz, but I'v alwayz valued my helth to an almost paranoid level. Last time I took any drugz at all wuz sum antibiotics after failing to shake a respiratory infection for 2 months.

I identify with Jesse on a personal level more than I do Walt. Probably bekuz I wuz a goofball in hi skool and like hiz muzik more. All I coud do to gear up for the new seazon wuz munch a bag uv Funyunz (Turnz out they contain hydrogenated oil, so I wont be having any more. But I keep the emty bag near the TV!). I considered buying a box uv Sudofed, but it woud be kind uv expensive for a lame prop. You get to actually remember being on meth!!!!!!

Congrats for kicking the habit. That takes sum strength.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:57 am

I'm not here. Just wondering if there is something appealing about the scientist being the badass thing. I like it.

I'm watching it through Amazon, and the guys are supposed to fix the internet soon. I get about 26 buffering breaks within an episode. So far, to be crass, my favorite scene was the birthday hand job. It could explain why we are inundated with erectile disfunction adds.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:19 am

Awww! dont do that, man! Unless youre totally destitute, buy the DVD or BR! Watch it on a real TV.

If youre liking the scientist badass thing, it just keeps getting better.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 pm

I bought the series on amazon, just no pesky DVDs to deal with. My service is supposed to be good enough to stream HD, and I have a 24", very nice monitor, and my wife owns the TV. But if they don't fix the service by time I finish season one, I'll go DVD for season 2.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:06 pm

JO 753 wrote:Awww! dont do that, man! Unless youre totally destitute, buy the DVD or BR! Watch it on a real TV.

If youre liking the scientist badass thing, it just keeps getting better.

I have to agree... although I myself don't keep a library of DVDs.... I have bough trouble keeping up with current films and tv programming,
(Although I do own "the Wire" which to me is like owning a dictionary... or a bible.)
Having started watching it late in the life of "Breaking Bad," I had other people's DVDs to use for the marathon catching up....
But the plot lines of BB are quite intricate and there are many times when I would like to go back to check on clues that I missed as the story played itself out so owning them would be a luxury that I am still contemplating.
And then of course, part of the charm of the series is the scenery - much of it suffused with the remarkable color unique to the landscape around Albuquerque , the fabulous sky, the mountains in the distance and the ominous but beautiful desert. In fact the desert is almost a character in the story....and so are the flat, almost deserted streets with the tract houses and strip malls contrasted with the natural habitat...
So viewing on less than the available optimum manner, would, I think, detract from the drama, and even the humor.
And one of the themes of the series is the American sense of entitlement, the "I want it and I want it now," that is really at the heart of our pervasive drug culture.... no satisfaction should be denied us. No discomfort tolerated even for an hour.
So be good to yourself.... you're a good guy... you deserve the luxury... splurge.....explain to your family why they may have to go without dinner for a day or two... or three..
They'll understand.

NMB
P.S. Do I have to SAY that that last is kidding? Sort of?
NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:20 pm

fromthehills wrote:I'm not here. Just wondering if there is something appealing about the scientist being the badass thing. I like it.

I'm watching it through Amazon, and the guys are supposed to fix the internet soon. I get about 26 buffering breaks within an episode. So far, to be crass, my favorite scene was the birthday hand job. It could explain why we are inundated with erectile disfunction adds.

You aren't just whistling Dixie... has there ever been a society so obsessed with sex, and enjoying it so little?

One of the disturbing elements in "Breaking Bad" is the joylessness of the personal relationships and that extends, of course, to the sex...
How could it not?
We are the sum total of our desires and what we accept to achieve them.
The scene you refer to is almost too sad to be watched ....
One of the less explored elements in "Breaking Bad"... (to me) is that it is essentially a story of Puritans breaking bad.
But we are so egalitarian that it isn't necessary for one's antecedents to have come over on the Mayflower to be a Puritan .. or a puritan.

NMB
Skepticism:

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:28 pm

When you're on meth, things like sex don't even cross the mind. And when it does, it has already lost it's beauty because by then, it is used as methods of payment and other loveless favors. I'm not surprised that the relationships are "joyless" in that show. It is clear and simple case of art imitating life.
trump is Putin's bitch

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Havent watched it, hav you, Aztexan?

From, From, From. Wut can I say? You people with your 'real livez' dont know how to appreciate a good movie or show!

I'm on Xfinity cable and I woudnt trust it to not ruin a show with %$&# buf fr ing!

Interrupting the flow uv the show iz not to be tolerated. Besidez, therez a bunch uv good stuff in the extraz. :D

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:30 pm

I missed the first season (I prefer The Walking Dead) but my girlfriend downloaded it for me and it's on my to-do list. As soon as I find time.
trump is Putin's bitch

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Walking Dead iz a good show. I think 15, 20 yirz ago it would hav qualified az great. But the bar haz been raized!

I used to think Airplane! wuz az funny az anything coud possibly get. I watched it around 1995, and only got a few grinz out uv it. I wanted to still laff myself sick, like I did in the theater* wen it first came out, but 5 seazonz uv The Simpsonz had set a whole new standard in funny.

*Do you remember that? People literaly falling out uv their seats at theaterz across the country! Then the Zucker brotherz made 6 episodez uv Police Squad and the 3 Naked Gun moviez based on that!

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:50 am

I just wanna say I really like it here.
I have always tried to live my life not regretting the things I have done, and trying not to do stuff that I WOULD regret. Wasn't that successful, but I do always try to be a good person. Whatever... wah wah.

But this, this is awesome:

"I identify with Jesse on a personal level more than I do Walt. Probably bekuz I wuz a goofball in hi skool and like hiz muzik more. All I coud do to gear up for the new seazon wuz munch a bag uv Funyunz (Turnz out they contain hydrogenated oil, so I wont be having any more. But I keep the emty bag near the TV!). I considered buying a box uv Sudofed, but it woud be kind uv expensive for a lame prop. You get to actually remember being on meth!!!!!!"

and this:

"A message from the horse's mouth,as it were, and thus more valuable than any conjecture."

You guys have made me think about this period in my life in a whole new way. I took a long drive after I read this. I guess I DO have a different perspective about BB and other things. I've met a few of those shark-eyed hispanic dudes. They probably scare me more than they do you. I'm gonna go with this. I'm actually going to try to look back and LEARN something from that time.
Wait, sorry, this isn't my group session...

Ok, so, I am pretty much alone in my sci-fi and science nerdness. I watch a lot of of anime, I like Grimm and I've seen the last Star Trek movie at least 20 times. Some day, my dream is to go to ComicCon in San Diego, and my other dream is to own the entire latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, the full-size real-book one. My kids are alright about it, I mean, my son Emmett is naming his son Ender. But friends and family, not so much. When I read "I missed the first season (I prefer The Walking Dead) but my girlfriend downloaded it for me and it's on my to-do list. As soon as I find time." from Aztexan I got a little warm feeling. Thanks.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:14 am

JO 753 wrote:Walking Dead iz a good show. I think 15, 20 yirz ago it would hav qualified az great. But the bar haz been raized!

I used to think Airplane! wuz az funny az anything coud possibly get. I watched it around 1995, and only got a few grinz out uv it. I wanted to still laff myself sick, like I did in the theater* wen it first came out, but 5 seazonz uv The Simpsonz had set a whole new standard in funny.

*Do you remember that? People literaly falling out uv their seats at theaterz across the country! Then the Zucker brotherz made 6 episodez uv Police Squad and the 3 Naked Gun moviez based on that!
Just a thought: the film didn't change,
You did.
It's true that comedy has grown freer and once forbidden subjects and even words are now common currency, but making adults laugh takes a certain kind of really hard work.
I think it's because when we laugh we are telling something about ourselves that makes us vulnerable.
One of the lousy things about adulthood, early, middle, late, is that the giggle is gone....
While a grown-up might laugh at the mention or the intimation of a fart, a kid can easily need oxygen after his/her bout of hysterical laughter...
Also no adult really knows what kids are laughing at.... it's called youth... and it's great...
My kids used to listen to Bill Cosby records in their room, when they were supposed to be in bed: even though they didn't want us to hear what was going on, they couldn't contain themselves even though they know the routines by heart.... mad laughter, like music.
Recently I went to a Museum showing of Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights.."
The theater was full of retired people... who else has time to see a move at noon? .... and no one LAUGHED, except me... sort of embarrassing , and i made a conscious effort to turn it down.
On the way out, a man smiled happily at me and said "Now THAT's comedy!!
And of course he was right - it is and will always be incredible, inventive, comedy.
So why didn't he laugh?
Because his giggle had gone up in the smoke of serious concerns and adult responsibility... and worse, self-consciousness.
I would give anything to laugh at Darla and Alfalfa again... but it's not in the cards: that was then, this is now.

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:21 am

Wait, sorry, this isn't my group session...
Another thing about BB... the group sessions Jesse attends are so heart stopping...and so harrowing.
Great drama, terrific writing...

NMB
Skepticism:

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:28 am

nmblum wrote: Just a thought: the film didn't change,
You did.
It's true that comedy has grown freer and once forbidden subjects and even words are now common currency, but making adults laugh takes a certain kind of really hard work.
I think it's because when we laugh we are telling something about ourselves that makes us vulnerable.
One of the lousy things about adulthood, early, middle, late, is that the giggle is gone....
While a grown-up might laugh at the mention or the intimation of a fart, a kid can easily need oxygen after his/her bout of hysterical laughter...
Also no adult really knows what kids are laughing at.... it's called youth... and it's great...
My kids used to listen to Bill Cosby records in their room, when they were supposed to be in bed: even though they didn't want us to hear what was going on, they couldn't contain themselves even though they know the routines by heart.... mad laughter, like music.
Recently I went to a Museum showing of Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights.."
The theater was full of retired people... who else has time to see a move at noon? .... and no one LAUGHED, except me... sort of embarrassing , and i made a conscious effort to turn it down.
On the way out, a man smiled happily at me and said "Now THAT's comedy!!
And of course he was right - it is and will always be incredible, inventive, comedy.
So why didn't he laugh?
Because his giggle had gone up in the smoke of serious concerns and adult responsibility... and worse, self-consciousness.
I would give anything to laugh at Darla and Alfalfa again... but it's not in the cards: that was then, this is now.

NMB
Please never stop laughing.
trump is Putin's bitch

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:30 am

nmblum wrote:Just a thought: the film didn't change,
You did.
Uv course. Also, therez the mood factor and the hi expectation effect. I watched Airplane! again sumtime in the mid aughts and bekuz I wuznt expecting so much and maybe I wuz in a certain mood, I did get a few laffs out uv it.
I'd gotten a hankering to see it after watching Police Squad, wich I watched bekuz they did a big tribute to it on an episode uv Family Guy.

And speaking uv farts, Seth McFarlane must hav an R&D department dedicated to fart humor.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:34 am

angawawa wrote:I just wanna say I really like it here. But this, this is awesome:
Thanks!

Do you know the Ender's Game movie openz next year?

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 am

[quote="nmblum" that was then, this is now.

NMB[/quote]

I read that as a kid. S.E. Hinton, I believe. There was a popular one by her; what was it?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:46 pm

fromthehills wrote:[quote="nmblum" that was then, this is now.

NMB

I read that as a kid. S.E. Hinton, I believe. There was a popular one by her; what was it?[/quote]

Interesting... because I have never ready anything by Hinton....
"That was then, this is now," just seemed a fitted end to my own sentence,
(It certainly does apply to much of life... the constant reminders to "grow UP!!) but since you made me think about it, I remembered (shows you who *I* am) a once Monkees song.... long forgotten.

The human mind works in mysterious ways...

NMB
Skepticism:

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:24 pm

JO 753 wrote:
angawawa wrote:I just wanna say I really like it here. But this, this is awesome:
Thanks!
Do you know the Ender's Game movie openz next year?
I know!! My kids and I are debating whether or not it will suck. Who is directing? My son said the actors are going to be olderr which will defeat the whole idea behind the story,

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Gavin Hood

Directed Wolverine, wich I didnt like that much. Cant remember why, so I gess I'll see it again.

Ender's Game

The kid playing Ender iz 15. Unless they are doing sumthing to make him look 5 for a big chunk uv the movie, the screen play will not be very close to the book. Funny thing - therez an actor named Han Soto in this and Harrison Ford iz top billed.

Hav you read all the sequelz?

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I liked Wolverine. But then again, I am a nerd. I have read most of the sequels. "Speaker for the Dead" blew me away. Card's creation of the piggies was incredible. It was a whole fresh new take on aliens, and one of the few times in my reading career when I got to the ultimate explanation and was completely shocked. I have only read a few of the "Shadow" subseries, mostly because the political theory and warfare kind of lost me. There is a new series of comics that I haven't read. I've read most of his books, Alvin Maker and the Earth series. I've not read much about the movie. I'm afraid I will just start hating before it even comes out, and I want to see it, even if it screws the whole thing up, like "John Carter" did.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:52 pm

It occurs to me to ask, albeit belatedly: do you guys really believe in aliens?
Jeez, bacteria are bad enough.....and we can't even control cosmic dust.
As to the political ramifications of the infiltration of aliens, we haven't figured out what to do about people who look just like us and cross the border, unarmed and on foot at San Ysidro....
What's so captivating about a battle that we are doomed to lose?
If we aren't wiped out by our incredible arrogance first?

NMB
Skepticism:

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:04 am

I'd like to think we aren't alone in all the billions of worlds out there, but I would not want to meet an alien say, out in the desert when I'm camping or something. I have seen some weird stuff, particularly the event in England a few years back, witnessed and filmed by soldiers. But I think if creatures from somewhere else came thousands or millions of light years across the universe they would do more than bob around in the woods freaking people out. (And this is an argument based on feelings, not logic.)

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 am

angawawa wrote:I'd like to think we aren't alone in all the billions of worlds out there, but I would not want to meet an alien say, out in the desert when I'm camping or something. I have seen some weird stuff, particularly the event in England a few years back, witnessed and filmed by soldiers. But I think if creatures from somewhere else came thousands or millions of light years across the universe they would do more than bob around in the woods freaking people out. (And this is an argument based on feelings, not logic.)
Oy...
Everybody has "an event in England..." and so far nothing seems to have landed from the stratosphere much less another galaxy...
But I was just asking... believe what you like: I am under no illusions that arguing with people who know all about aliens is any different from arguing with people who know all about god.. and what god wants..
And I have no desire to change anyone's mind - clearly there is a common ground for people who have interest in such matters, and such bonds do matter (although numbers are not, and never have been, evidence).
But I do have some curiosity about the phenomenon: I've met enough Americans who are completely acquainted with the literature of life on other planets and beyond, and dream of space travel while they haven't even been to Canada..
However, for what its worth, I DO believe that there are universes beyond our ken, and certainly there is life somewhere out there in the great beyond.
However life doesn't mean three-eyed men who have better means of transportation than we do, Caucasians who speak English no matter how stunted, and women with three breasts but not unattractive for all that...
Life .. as you probably know... could be that drop of water in one of Mar's deserts...
That's how you and I started, no?
So surely it can happen again.... but Pandora ain't it, blue folks who speak and reproduce as we do, ain't either.
Me.. I haven't been to Antarctica yet...

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:11 am

I believe. The alternate explanationz against all the sitingz dont make sense. Skeptisizm haz to be applied in all directionz, otherwize youre just back at square 1, believing wut you want to believ.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 pm

JO 753 wrote:I believe. The alternate explanationz against all the sitingz dont make sense. Skeptisizm haz to be applied in all directionz, otherwize youre just back at square 1, believing wut you want to believ.
What alternate explanations, for what sightings?
As a staunch believer in many things... too many, and most of them irrational, (who doesn't?) I am still confused and amused, too...by the passion that so called "aliens" strikes in the hearts of my fellow travelers through space and time.
But to each his own..... having spent my early, impressionable years in New York City, and in the subway, aliens, to me, were my fellow travelers... whew!! what a strange (alien) crew!!
But as I grew older I realized that who appeared completely alien to me was the child of a human mother, and vice versa.. the only thing alien about them is that they weren't ME.
Except that they were.
In other words, one COULD say, (and many of us DO say) "I have met the enemy (read alien) and he is us."
Just the word "alien" is a misnomer of sorts: even that drop of water out there that seems to hold real promise of LIFE, will consider US aliens when the ameba contained therein finally gets going.
I also have to wonder why - given MY existence AND yours -those "aliens" thus far at least - have chosen to show themselves only to people whose who seem one brick short of a load, the victims of too many six-packs.
(If YOU were an alien (which we are by the way to other forms of life) wouldn't you want to meet up with the Einsteins among us -as in "take me to your LEADER?)
One more thing: somehow the existence of aliens (and their intentions toward us) are inextricably entwined with conspiracy theory: our government knows things that we don't know OR it is itself complicit with the aliens.... either directed by them, or directs them.
Well, I'm all for that.. we should certainly cast a wary eye on our government, and ALL other governments as well.
However, reason intrudes: people IN government, much as people OUT of government ("we have met the enemy and he is US") are congenitally unable to keep a secret.
That more or less puts the kibosh on the connection between "aliens" from outer space and the "aliens" who run our military., and fill the halls of our Congress.

But of course, there IS Dick Cheney, that "man in black.." to bolster your argument.
So maybe there is something to alien talk after all.

NMB
Skepticism:

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:40 pm

nmblum wrote:
fromthehills wrote:
nmblum wrote:that was then, this is now.

NMB

I read that as a kid. S.E. Hinton, I believe. There was a popular one by her; what was it?
(It certainly does apply to much of life... the constant reminders to "grow UP!!) but since you made me think about it, I remembered (shows you who *I* am) a once Monkees song.... long forgotten.

NMB

The Outsiders
was the one I was thinking of.

It's not worth reading now, very simple stuff. It was good for a 10-11yo boy that was frustrated with life. They were all stories of "outlaw" teens. I think she wrote four or five such novels.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:18 pm

fromthehills wrote:
nmblum wrote:
fromthehills wrote:
nmblum wrote:that was then, this is now.

NMB

NMB

The Outsiders
was the one I was thinking of.

It's not worth reading now, very simple stuff. It was good for a 10-11yo boy that was frustrated with life. They were all stories of "outlaw" teens. I think she wrote four or five such novels.
I've never read Hinton... And come to think of it, I've never been a 10 year old boy.
But I certainly do know the angst of pre-adolescent confusion and the conviction that you are alone in the world - an nobody but you has felt as alienated or defenseless as you do..... although I do think that by and large girls are lighter hearted than boys, and less weighted down with the gloom of facing a future for which you are totally unprepared.. That comes later for girls.
"Frustrated with life..." is what life seems to be all about. 10-11 frustrations are huge because we are so small and defenseless when we are young.
Not that things really get better, it's just that most of us (who pass for sane) manage to sublimate the frustrations into our adult responsibilities...AND let them out to our mates, children, employees, co-workers, dogs, cats...,
Frustration, though, might be underrated as a propellant forward...... Who invents the better mousetrap than one who was frustrated by a low rate of mouse fatalities?
And not t to laugh, but it does have its bizarre humor: what if that 10-11 year old boy had heard the ethereal voice saying " kid, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!!!Think you're frustrated NOW? You don't know the meaning of the word!"
And with all that.. there are still people who have time for aliens!! What a luxury!!

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 pm

nmblum wrote:What alternate explanations, for what sightings?
The alternate explanation to claimz in general iz 'they are lying, or imbeciles, or were tripping on LSD'.

When sumwun sez they saw a large metalic ovoid hovering soundlessly then suddenly leave at 1000 mph they woud hav to be 1 or more uv thoze 3 or else giving an accurate account uv wut they saw.

Given that, the most likely & believable explanation iz that it wuz the product uv extraterrestrial beingz. The alternativez - secret military tek, tranz-alternate reality, vizitorz frum our future, advanced hidden terrestrial civilization are all far more incredible.

The scientific communityz objection to UFO claimz are based entirely on the speed uv lite limit (sul). This objection iz so feeble, it dizzolvez in plain water:

1. We aren't very smart and hav only been seriously working on physics for a few hundred yirz. How far coud a speciez thats 2 or 3 timez smarter than us get in a million or a billion yirz? In other wordz, we arent smart enuf and dont know enuf to say therez no way to exceed the sul.

2. Even if the sul cant be reached or exceeded,
A. We hav already speculated about hyperspace and wormholez, both natural and artificial.
B. Who sez the alienz coudnt just take their time getting here? If you are essentially immortal, wuts 1000 yirz? We already hav the tek to get humanz to other solar systemz. It duznt make any sense to think alien intelligent civilizationz coudnt possibly do it.
I also have to wonder why - given MY existence AND yours -those "aliens" thus far at least - have chosen to show themselves only to people whose who seem one brick short of a load, the victims of too many six-packs.
Not true.

Peter Jennings UFO report

A top network newz anchor with a sterling reputation decides to do a big project on UFOz after he learnz he iz going to die uv cancer. Duz he believe or iz he thinking 'that woud be totally halarious! Toss my legacy down the toilet! Ha Ha!'

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:37 pm

JO 753 wrote:
nmblum wrote:What alternate explanations, for what sightings?
The alternate explanation to claimz in general iz 'they are lying, or imbeciles, or were tripping on LSD'.

When sumwun sez they saw a large metalic ovoid hovering soundlessly then suddenly leave at 1000 mph they woud hav to be 1 or more uv thoze 3 or else giving an accurate account uv wut they saw.

Given that, the most likely & believable explanation iz that it wuz the product uv extraterrestrial beingz. The alternativez - secret military tek, tranz-alternate reality, vizitorz frum our future, advanced hidden terrestrial civilization are all far more incredible.

The scientific communityz objection to UFO claimz are based entirely on the speed uv lite limit (sul). This objection iz so feeble, it dizzolvez in plain water:

1. We aren't very smart and hav only been seriously working on physics for a few hundred yirz. How far coud a speciez thats 2 or 3 timez smarter than us get in a million or a billion yirz? In other wordz, we arent smart enuf and dont know enuf to say therez no way to exceed the sul.

2. Even if the sul cant be reached or exceeded,
A. We hav already speculated about hyperspace and wormholez, both natural and artificial.
B. Who sez the alienz coudnt just take their time getting here? If you are essentially immortal, wuts 1000 yirz? We already hav the tek to get humanz to other solar systemz. It duznt make any sense to think alien intelligent civilizationz coudnt possibly do it.
Not true.

Peter Jennings UFO report

A top network newz anchor with a sterling reputation decides to do a big project on UFOz after he learnz he iz going to die uv cancer. Duz he believe or iz he thinking 'that woud be totally halarious! Toss my legacy down the toilet! Ha Ha!'

Are you saying that in a world with millions if not billions of observers, and thousands upon thousands of trained astronomers, cosmologists, life scientists... AND the now myriad great observatories in their service, Peter Jennings is the only name you can come up with as an example of a responsible witness, and potential researcher?

An interesting thought and an interesting question: however, by the rules of the game (i,e, "Reality") it is not, repeat NOT.. nor by any definition, EVIDENCE that there is alien life with its collective eye (or accumulation of eyes) on us.
Here'e how it works: you hear about Peter Jennings, dying of cancer and thus presumably with nothing to lose of his reputation or his life, preparing to reveal his research into ..well, what exactly?
I have no idea except that YOU believe it: it seems reasonable to you.
Me? I shrug.
And think "good for Jennings!"
Butt he would have to show me a captured pilot and a craft, for me to put down the fork with which I am as yet NOT eating crow.
We are all colored by our experiences, and our resultant views of the world and how it works.... you, me, everyone of us...
And one human's conclusions about the universe are no less or more valid than another's as far as flights of fancy go... but a flight of fancy IS not proof of anything at all.
And of course, there is this: there ARE flying objects up there in the ether.
But most of them if not all, ARE actually identified... many of us just don't want to accept the identifications.
Sometimes in this world as in any other, dust IS just dust.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:53 am

Watch the show. Peter Jenningz didnt claim to be a witness.

And to get this back on topic - my prediction iz that Walt & Jesse will be rescued frum Cartel executionerz out in the dezert by alienz at the end uv the seriez. The alienz, it will turn out in Gilliganz next show, are big fanz uv Walt's recipe.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Watch the show. Peter Jenningz didnt claim to be a witness.
Thanks for clearing that up Jo. But it was you who said he was "doing a big project". Even the big names in journalism are often just reading from the script. I didn't have an hour and a half to confirm my suspicions, but I could tell from the intro that it was just the usual "cut and paste" of a bunch of people, give Neil DeGrasse Tyson equal standing with a UFO-ologists and pay Jennings big bucks to tie it together.

The days of Walter Cronkite, when reporters said what was in their hearts, are gone.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Faulty thinking.

Ignoring info, making assumtionz based on association, prejujing a man and a production. Wuts this, an anti-UFO religion?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:13 pm

Wuts this, an anti-UFO religion?
That would be interesting. A religion that is based on being against something that, by definition, is unidentified. What would its most extreme followers do? Stand on the corner with a sign that said, "The end might be near, but we can't quite identify it." or the more liberal might say, "Everything happens for a reason. We don't know what the reasons are, but we're sure the reasons any other religion gives are wrong."
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 pm

JO 753 wrote:Watch the show. Peter Jenningz didnt claim to be a witness.

And to get this back on topic - my prediction iz that Walt & Jesse will be rescued frum Cartel executionerz out in the dezert by alienz at the end uv the seriez. The alienz, it will turn out in Gilliganz next show, are big fanz uv Walt's recipe.
Perhaps if he had claimed to be a witness, there would be more heft to the effort.
As it is, it is more questionable hearsay based on questionable hearsay.
Once more: believe what you like: but from MY standard for proof, the implications of aliens flapping around in my neighborhood (planet earth) is based more on faith than fact.
Or to put it another way: guys (or whatever you are) I'm in the book: call me.

NMB
Skepticism: