Methamphetamine America

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: Methamphetamine America

Post by JO 753 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm

:lol: :lol: Sumbudy haz to find out if the guy started making meth bekuz uv the show or not!

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Yes, there are a lot of stupid people out there, but the atom bombs that were dropped on not one but two Japanese cities, were neither conceived nor used by stupid people but rather by the smartest people in the world.
Just to make this relevant to the thread.... Walter White is the smartest guy in any of the rooms he has thus far entered, and it is he that makes not only the best street-sales meth, but has never, ever, uttered a word that might indicate some serious moral qualm about the drugs or even the remorseless quest for money that was ostensibly his reason for doing it.

But more important: when comes to keeping information, the question as always is, "Who gets to do the keeping?"
Which immediately makes that other question, "from whom?' superfluous.
Because only the keeper counts.... the kept from become, by the nature of the question, either perpetual children or slaves.
The dissemination of knowledge is the primary component of free speech... all other concerns, scatology, blasphemy, hateful ideas, haranguing others relentlessly, pale in comparison,

"Thou seest Me as Time who kills, Time who brings all to doom,
The Slayer Time, Ancient of Days, come hither to consume;
Excepting thee, of all these hosts of hostile chiefs arrayed,
There shines not one shall leave alive the battlefield! "BG,Canto Xii

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm

JO 753 wrote::lol: :lol: Sumbudy haz to find out if the guy started making meth bekuz uv the show or not!

It is very funny, even funnier if BB was, sorta like the bible... an inspiration for such entrepreneurial initiative and making a little knowledge go such a long way..

But didn't Vince Gilligan, in a recent interview with Stephen Colbert, admit that meth manufacture and use has gone up since BB became such a success?
Causing Colbert to throw his head on his desk in mock despair and say something like "on behalf of parents everywhere, thank you?"

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:21 am

The DEA hav been kroozing the streets here today.

I wuz expecting this, so they will eventually zero in on the decoy lab I set up in a ramshakl abandoned garage.
Just for fun, the footprints lead to a neighborz house! He'll hav sum splaining to do for unrejistrd gunz, but I dont think theyll find any meth. hehehehe. Riiikkkyyyyy Spaaaannniiiishshshsh!

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 am

Jury nullification of a marihuana bust in New Hampshire.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/cr ... SVTw.gmail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 am

JO 753 wrote:Sumbudy haz to find out if the guy started making meth bekuz uv the show or not!
I wonder if the show was written by my lab partner of twenty years ago? He suggested we could do something about highest quality speed ever, money, and the ingredients of trinitrotoluene on the bench.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Got a call frum Mr. Bartok sumtime this morning. I wuz asleep, so didnt realize who it wuz at first and hung up thinking it wuz a bill collector.

He called back rite away, pretty angry.

Got the ansering machine set up to record all callz.
Too bad you cement hedz havent learned Nooalf, kuz the accent would make this better:

Bartok: "You evil bastard."

me:"Wu?! O! Bartok! Howzitgoin, man? Sorry, I'm not really awake yet. How did.."

Bartok:"I'm going to be over there! Then you will know it! Evil only for you till ever! HAHA! Know it!"

5 secondz uv silence

me: "Sumthing went rong, obviously. I told you and included a note that the stuff iznt stable. Wut happend?"

Bartok: "You devil you are. You know....you know always for this."

me: "Seriously, man. I dont take drugz myself, so I ha.."

Bartok "Shut UP! Snake tong bastard evil devil! To hell for you!"

Long silence.

"I tell. Just to know you for sure. Every bad for you."

Lots uv grumbling and sounded like he took a drink out uv a jug.

"I take your skontay. Iz nice blue like in show. I think 'WOW he send me double! Nice man!' Kick like a bull with hiz ballz duck tape! (the man knowz hiz BB. Thats a quote frum Tuco) I fly like vulture way up in cloudz for 2 hour. Make before hi seemz like low!!!! But then I crash. Low like bad hashish from Taliban {!#%@}. Never so low before like suicide....

So I take another hit from pipe this time."

me: "U O! Hey man! I had it in big red letterz DO NOT BURN! it not my fau..."

Bartok: "SHUT UP DEVIL! You know I will forget... You plan that.

The whole house fill. Everybody same Hi for hours then crash. Crash down to hell.

You havent seen hell. Kids and chickens and yaks all tearing the place apart looking for more. They say to kill me or give more. The goats kick thru all walls. Everything turned to junk looking for more in 30 minits.

Only I run. I see it Devil in eye of a goat and know he iz real. World for another hit and then happy to go back to his house in it Hell!

So I run. The animalz and my 5 year son and 3 year daughter chase. Yaks biting my ass. Run and run so they give up.

Later I go back. Nothing but junk scattered on the dirt. Blood everywhere.

But you know you bastard devil. you know. I am only there for looking for more. Dont care about life gone. Just want more, but I know its gone.

So I go to town for my regular dealer. Get some ice, just say pay more later.

Nothing! Its like snorting talc, so I go back and say 'Give me real, {!#%@}!' but he shows me. Givez hit to hiz meth whore. Iz real! Iz best he ever get!'

Then I know your evil plan. Finally I see.

Hi now only from you. Everything else not work. You are now drug god for world. Meth Devil."

there wuz sum tumultuous noize growing in the background. Screaming. Angry bleating. a few gunshots.

"MEEETTHHHH DDDDEEEVVVVIIIIILLLL!!"

Sounded like a door getting kicked off its hinjez. I gess hiz household had tracked him down.

An angry clucking, probably a rooster, then the line went dead.

Sooo...

angawawa. Do you think He mite calm down if I send him sum uv the new stuff?
Last edited by JO 753 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:54 pm

I don't know a thing about drugs, other than what I have learned from BB.
But I do know great dialogue when I hear and see it.
So it isn't crucial but I am confused by Bartok.
Who is he?
And why?
And from where?
''Cause he sounds as if he comes from Little Odessa, a section of Brighton Beach, in Brooklyn, N.Y where Russian is the language of commerce and social life, and EVERYBODY, including little old ladies conjures up images of Russian mafia, of broken legs and missing fingernails..... and where you can be thrown off a roof top for selling Meth to "your own.."
Meth is only "for them..."
And you know who "they" are.
So if Bartok is one of "their own," stay clear of Bartok.
Worried,
NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:45 am

Tarrulem Bartok, a Jib Hed literally in Timbuktoo. I sent him 1/10 ounce last week. http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 41#p300341

Looks like you missed sum stuff. Did you watch the Andy Griffith spoof?

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:22 am

Glad Walking Dead iz back on this Sunday. Good show. Help tide me over till next summer.

The new batch appearz to be perfectly stable. May have alot to do with keeping it in near perfect isolation. Sealed in a quartz vial in a vacuum in a 1 inch thick wall led box.

The DEA showed up at my door. The dog went nuts and both agents pulled out their gunz and detectorz that were also going nuts.

So I let them search the place. Showed them my machine shop down in the basement. The dog passed out. The detectorz went blank. Told them I'm just a simple inventor and don't know didly squat about kemestry. showed them my course book frum hi skool full uv red ink, ending in the sofmore year.

I wuz going to sugjest that maybe I shoud test for radon or a gas leak, but then I recalled how the perps on Columbo were alwayz too helpful. Agent Slater sed "Must be the gasoline seeping outa your car getting in here sir. Better get that fixed."

They were talking about Bill, the naybor I pointed them to, az they were getting back in the van, carrying the dog.

Glad I movd everything into the secret sub basement under the emty house next door!

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:05 pm

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 pm

JO 753 wrote:Tarrulem Bartok, a Jib Hed literally in Timbuktoo. I sent him 1/10 ounce last week. http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 41#p300341

Looks like you missed sum stuff. Did you watch the Andy Griffith spoof?
Yes, I watched the spoof.
But there is no counting the stuff I've missed... here and on the not always simple or easy journey we call life.
Where my chances of ever catching up are are between zero and less than.
But I am cheered .... ignorance loves company... by so many of my fellow travelers being hampered by the same lacks.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm feeding my BB addiction with this topic.

Herez an excellent interview with Cranston: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG-brQgp ... re=related

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Bunch uv people passed out in and around the house next door. The door haz been kicked open. The garage door iz also busted to peesiz inside on & around an 80z Monte Carlo with 6 late teen/early twenty punk boyz & grlz inside. Therez a pastor or priest with the black robe & wite collar slumped over the kitchen counter. A fat housewife looking lady face down in the living room. More punks in the bedroom.

Therez a dozen carz on the property and down the street. Wun uv themz propped up at a 45 against a small tree, oozing coolant.

Gotta be 50 - 70 people all together.

It must be like a thing in your brain that gets altered by meth that enablez you to detect it. I'm not saying psychic, but like ultra sensativ. The super meth must be radiating meth wavez. It drawz them in and they only hav to get within a few hundred feet & it works. Meth magnetizm.

How do you charge for sumthng that works frum a distance?! Just like me to find a way to not make money on sumthing!

Now the real dilema: How do I hide the stuff? I dont recognize any uv theze jib hedz, so wuts the ranje? Wherever I move it, they will accumulate.

The cops are sure to be here today and they are going to figure its not just a party gone bad. Pretty soon they will start digging.

Lucky its about 50 feet down and the access tunnel entrance iz out in the lake.

3 'unmarked' carz just pulled up. (Youd think they could rezist having thoze stupid search lites intsalled so they could really be unmarked, but no) HA! Wun uv the cops iz a jib hed! Just sat down on the porch, then laid down and curled up! :lol: :lol:

Betr get offline here!!! :shock:

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Post by angawawa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Jo. I just don't know what to tell you,man. The vicious cycle has begun. He's probably too far gone for anything to help. At least he didn't ask for his daughter back...
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Got a text frum Mr. Bartok:
im in airpor. be there soon. kill slow with tweezer.
Then a string starting 5 minutes later:
please identify yourself....
subject detained found in landing gear bay...
bail payment $5000 u s required...
text bank info
haf owr later:
your father will be taken to prison now...
more money to get out.
I gess Bartok got caught trying to stow away and they got his fone. Must hav been saying all sorts uv krap to weazel out uv it.

2 Sherrif dept bussez hauled away all the meth hedz. Now therez a big DEA lab truck out there. 2 guyz in hazard suits walking around with probez wired to backpacks.

Gotta get back to my fisherman dummy!

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Jo753: If you, or anyone else here missed this story which made its way to public awareness via an interview, a year or two ago, on Public Radio, and repeated this morning:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlay ... n false;
Besides being a terrific look at the illegal drug trade... the enormous amounts of money versus the terrible dangers, it also touches on the enormous waste of human intelligence and creativity: anyone who can organize an illegal drug empire, manufacturing, marketing,administering, policing, and getting the product into the hands (and brains) of the consumer... should in an equable world, be able to rule the world: no executive, political or industrial in our society can actually do what "Freeway Rick," managed to accomplish.
And without, wonder of wonders, knowing how to read or write!!
Truth in advertising compels me to admit that although I love "Breaking Bad," i never really loved Walter White's character, except as terrifically well-written.
He was a stuffy, pompous, pathetic poor man and teacher, and those traits are still present with the added horrifying ones that depict him as a monster.
But I adore "Freeway Rick."
Did when he was riding high, and love him even now when he has been laid low, by fate .... and the loss of his official protection.
For who can help loving a guy who is not only good at what he does, and generous with the fruits of his success, but who doesn't take himself or his success too seriously?
Walter White on the other hand, didn't enjoy a good laugh at capricious life when he was low, and doesn't enjoy one now that he is King of the Drug Hill.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:22 pm

nmblum wrote:Walter White on the other hand, didn't enjoy a good laugh at capricious life when he was low,
False claim!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtlG0KZ2Sec

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Walking Ded duznt start till next week. O well. Got plenty uv zombiez walking around here.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 am

JO 753 wrote:
nmblum wrote:Walter White on the other hand, didn't enjoy a good laugh at capricious life when he was low,
False claim!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtlG0KZ2Sec
A moment for sure.
But a ha ha , a ho ho, or a tee hee.... it's the twisted guffaw of a crushed and dying man, who has had a vision of reality...
But on another subject .. I am somewhat in awe of your creative and fearless drug work, especially in the face of all the danger constantly staring at you through your window..
And YOU without a soundtrack that enhances such work and makes it attractive to those looking at it with envy..
So:

v=a8e6S8mXLSQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjfh7RDp8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFXRTij9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96oT-G_pT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdn1tHLn2j4

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:59 am

Sumthing rong with your frst url tagz and the second showz up az 'this video doesn't exist'.

The 2 that worked are OK. xanks!

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Didnt need the fisherman dummy. I wuz thinking theyd start digging yesterday, so I woud hav had to go out to the entrance and leave the boat without being noticed.

But they didnt, so I just scubad out there about 2 am this morning. there were 3 drowned jibhedz clogging the entrance. Its a 3 ft diameter corrugated steel pipe and about 200 feet till your out uv the water and not garranteed to be breathable air for another 300 feet.

This entire area wuz a peat bog thouzandz uv yirz ago and its dry in sum areaz at that level. So I sprinkled just a weeee bit uv the stuff around the little cave, put a chunk uv fulminated mercury between a few rocks emtyd a can uv propane, and pulled all the 2x4z out uv the short tunnel that goez to the pipe.

The plan iz that they will think they hit a natural gas pocket and set it off, then the lab geniusez will hypothesize that sum weird chemistry had formed a meth-like compound over the mellenium, or perhaps due to man made polutants seeping in over the last 50 yirz.

HA! Therez a demolition crew showing up now! The house iz a pile uv junk anyway.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:34 am

They bulldozed the house & garage. Kinda kool watching the destruction and everybody laffed wen a punk stumbled out the back door wen the dozer started crashing thru the front.

Later a big rig with a giant corkscrew showed up. They havent decided where to drill yet, bekuz the instruments keep dying.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:31 am

Related to Meth, here's a song I think you may enjoy, Norma. Poetry, story, a bit ribald...I like it quite a bit. I often listen to it in a live, more electric version, but this one is good for getting the story.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: the link is helpful
Last edited by fromthehills on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm

fromthehills wrote:Related to Meth, here's a song I think you may enjoy, Norma. Poetry, story, a bit ribald...I like it quite a bit. I often listen to it in a live, more electric version, but this one is good for getting the story.
Something is missing from your message, in its entirely above.
And I don't want to go all Freudy-toidy on ya, but WHY don't you want me to hear the song?
WHAT is keeping you from actually sharing it?

NMB
Skepticism:

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

nmblum wrote:
fromthehills wrote:Related to Meth, here's a song I think you may enjoy, Norma. Poetry, story, a bit ribald...I like it quite a bit. I often listen to it in a live, more electric version, but this one is good for getting the story.
And I don't want to go all Freudy-toidy on ya, but WHY don't you want me to hear the song?

NMB

Absent mindedness kept me from sharing, but hopefully you like the song enough to forgive me.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 pm

fromthehills wrote:
nmblum wrote:

NMB

Absent mindedness kept me from sharing, but hopefully you like the song enough to forgive me.
Forgiven...
How not?
It's Walt Whitman, alive, in Texas, and playing the guitar...
Thanks so much..
NMB.
Skepticism:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 am

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: the link is helpful
Enjoyed his ode to the United Crystal Methodists and his work on the 12-string.
:elvis:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:21 am

McMurtryz song gave me an idea - A Meth based religion! Like Rastafarian except much stronger.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:04 am

2 traps sprung today.

They finally decided to just start drilling in the middle uv the lot. They only got maybe 20, 30 feet down and the FM & propane blew up like a giant underground fart. the whole lot lifted up a few feet & flopped back down! The garage next door fell apart and the street in front iz ruined. A ruffly circular area about 50 feet wide iz sunk down with the drill truck rite in the middle, sunk up to the doorz. Theyre gunnu need a crane to get it out.

That wuz early afternoon.

About 7 pm my front door got bashed open.

Az I wuz expecting, it wuz the jib hed cop and also 2 more cops. I wuz upstairz in 10 secondz and they were alredy asleep on the floor frum the super meth radiation. I drug :D them downstairz so i woudnt hav to trip over them all nite.

Watched the VP debate, worked on my new fix-the-door project, then loaded them in their car, drove to the slummy area and walked back.

On the way I saw a guy that looked like a druggy, so I sed therez sum guyz sleeping off sum great stuff and they may hav sum left. He sed 'wut do I care' (wordz to that effect, anyway, with more profanity), but then went that way. My idea being to get sum activity going to keep them occupied, hopefully long enuf for me to get home and finish making the door look like nothing happened.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Here's the version I have. I saw him live down at Zapata Ranch, by the Sand Dunes. A nice daytime show, on the front lawn, about 150 people. Lawn chairs and a cooler, wife and kid and a few friends. It was fun.

This one you'll like, JO. Unrelated to the thread, though.It's about the woes of America, and the lot many have drawn. Written during the Bush Age. It's not unlike many of the songs from the Great Depression.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:21 pm

fromthehills wrote:Here's the version I have. I saw him live down at Zapata Ranch, by the Sand Dunes. A nice daytime show, on the front lawn, about 150 people. Lawn chairs and a cooler, wife and kid and a few friends. It was fun.

This one you'll like, JO. Unrelated to the thread, though.It's about the woes of America, and the lot many have drawn. Written during the Bush Age. It's not unlike many of the songs from the Great Depression.
Thanks again... I went to a record store as soon as I got to New Orleans yesterday ("record" stores are among the disappeared artifacts in the American landscape) where - coincidence makes the world go 'round - the proprietor, thrilled to be asked, only had one McMurtry disc... "Heartless Bastards.." and so here I am, listening to that smart and catchy collection, tapping my toes and typing...
More on James McMurtry later, although you probably already know that his way with words is not surprising, genes being what they are, and his parents being who they are...

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:14 pm

And just a word on "We Can't Make it Here:" and the difference between the protest ballads that emerged during the years of the great depression, and those being written and performed now: American innocence, if the music is a clue - and it most certainly is a big one - is gone...
Cynicism , bitterness and worse apathy, reign now.
Prior American protest music is defiant, but jaunty... even exuberant..."the Big Rock Candy Mountain.."
Even during the Great Depression, in the bitterly antagonistic era of unemployment, devastation in the Dust Bowl, Hoovervilles, protest marches on the Capital by veterans, and others in growing animosity to authority still expressed vestiges of hopefulness.... and .. somewhat unbelievably all things considered, a kind of bright eyed patriotism despite the frequent use of the military and police on the side of money and power against the poverty-stricken and powerless.

Almost all meetings, concert, sing-alongs... ended with renditions of variations of "this land is your land..." or something equally up-beat and expressive of the idea that even give a bad patch this country was the best place to be because things COULD be made right..

Not so now .. with the music and all the other arts coming out of what is now such a sad place.... where very few of those who are down see any hope in any conceivable future, and where drugs, alcohol, and suicide appear to be the only ways out what seems both devastating and insoluble.
Which is why this song is so heartbreaking...
Dreams deferred are one thing.
No dreams at all are quite another.
And innocence, once lost, like the death of love, leaves a hole in the heart of the world from which we may not survive.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Got woken up by an earthquake and crash around 10:30am.

The ground gave out under the huge crane wile they were trying to lift the drill truck out. :lol:

The crazy thing: tore down the power linez after the pole, but my power iz still on! Usually all it takes iz a blob uv sparrow poop to nok the power out here!

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah, I haven't seen a record store since I left Durango, which I wonder if it's still there.. Nor a bookstore since Borders closed up in Summit County. I used to spend as much time in book stores and record stores as I do on the computer now. Of course, there isn't much of any store where I live. A small grocer, a small "health food" store that is probably about to go under. A hippy store that smells the road up with Nag Champa, and a pub. Oh, the hardware store just opened. So here, my music is bought from iTunes, and books from Amazon, or increasingly from Audible.

Of course you're right about my song comparison. I just didn't think of it that way when I was making the connection.

McMurtry did have an advantage being born to the parents he had, whether it be genes or exposure, it seems to have worked.

Here's a more light hearted song of protest by Todd Snyder. ( I think he's a wee bit drunk or stoned )

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:17 pm

fromthehills wrote:Yeah, I haven't seen a record store since I left Durango, which I wonder if it's still there.. Nor a bookstore since Borders closed up in Summit County. I used to spend as much time in book stores and record stores as I do on the computer now. Of course, there isn't much of any store where I live. A small grocer, a small "health food" store that is probably about to go under. A hippy store that smells the road up with Nag Champa, and a pub. Oh, the hardware store just opened. So here, my music is bought from iTunes, and books from Amazon, or increasingly from Audible.

Of course you're right about my song comparison. I just didn't think of it that way when I was making the connection.

McMurtry did have an advantage being born to the parents he had, whether it be genes or exposure, it seems to have worked.

Here's a more light hearted song of protest by Todd Snyder. ( I think he's a wee bit drunk or stoned )

I didn't think of yours as a deliberate comparison... it just occurred to me, as it has before but not quite so clearly, listening to McMurtry's uncompromisingly terrible story of how so many of us live now, that there is no hint of "we shall overcome.." in those lyrics.... as if hope is something that can't exist any more than blood can be gotten from a stone.

But maybe, I m wrong.... because music and poetry, confronting the bleak and the tragic and even the cruel, do have a history of making us confront our worst selves and make us want to do better, be better, change the gloomy stories we are listening to have more optimistic endings.
As this one, from the late 30's , which did elicit a response of: "don't weep. We are going to make it better...,, maybe not perfect, but better."
And so it came to pass....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rz ... re=related

NMB
Skepticism:

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51 pm

nmblum wrote:
I didn't think of yours as a deliberate comparison... it just occurred to me, as it has before but not quite so clearly, listening to McMurtry's uncompromisingly terrible story of how so many of us live now, that there is no hint of "we shall overcome.." in those lyrics.... as if hope is something that can't exist any more than blood can be gotten from a stone.

But maybe, I m wrong.... because music and poetry, confronting the bleak and the tragic and even the cruel, do have a history of making us confront our worst selves and make us want to do better, be better, change the gloomy stories we are listening to have more optimistic endings.
As this one, from the late 30's , which did elicit a response of: "don't weep. We are going to make it better...,, maybe not perfect, but better."

NMB
I love Billie Holiday. From that genre, I'd have to say I favor Nina Simone, but both of their voices have the ability to transport me.

Well, the thing I think is that we, as a nation, believe we have it rough today, and perhaps many do. Nothing like Southern, Depression era black folks. I've had it rough a time or two, and I don't think I quite grasp what Detroit, Chicago, etc. poor black folks go through today, much less back then in the South. I watched Nina's rendition of Strange Fruit just after Billie's. Someone put together a video/slideshow, of photos of hanged people, and tintypes of slaves in chains, and a couple re-creations, I believe. Even after all that, many believe the Civil War was fought for them.

It's always interesting to see how the human mind deals with things. In my mind the notion of rising from British serfdom to inflict as much or more horror on another people is unthinkable. Yet the horrors inflicted on people still, today, are largely dismissed as "World News". What is the mindset of one that has been born and raised as the oppressed or the oppressor?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:33 am

fromthehills wrote:
nmblum wrote:

NMB
I love Billie Holiday. From that genre, I'd have to say I favor Nina Simone, but both of their voices have the ability to transport me.

Well, the thing I think is that we, as a nation, believe we have it rough today, and perhaps many do. Nothing like Southern, Depression era black folks. I've had it rough a time or two, and I don't think I quite grasp what Detroit, Chicago, etc. poor black folks go through today, much less back then in the South. I watched Nina's rendition of Strange Fruit just after Billie's. Someone put together a video/slideshow, of photos of hanged people, and tintypes of slaves in chains, and a couple re-creations, I believe. Even after all that, many believe the Civil War was fought for them.

It's always interesting to see how the human mind deals with things. In my mind the notion of rising from British serfdom to inflict as much or more horror on another people is unthinkable. Yet the horrors inflicted on people still, today, are largely dismissed as "World News". What is the mindset of one that has been born and raised as the oppressed or the oppressor?
If I knew the answer to that I would bottle it and compete with Coca -Cola... it would be blazoned on surfaces in every nook and cranny of the planet...'
I love the Nina Simone version of "Strange Fruit " too (and every thing else she has done) but I am partial to Billie because hers was the first I ever heard, and she had melted my child's heart as the most beautiful but saddest woman I had ever seen... the living, breathing blues singing version of a broken heart...
The photos you mentioned that accompany the Nina Simone cover were actually a small part of an exhibition a few years ago at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.
It was stunning.. but also shocking to many people who - despite being part of a so-called sophisticated audience of Northerners and liberals... were asking each other questions like "do you think these things really happened.?"
And .."surely they didn't do that to women and children!!"
Truth to tell, who DOES want to believe that as humans we are capable of such horrendous cruelty ...and cruelty justified, alas, by the Bibles that are sold to us as the tool for civilization?

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:51 am

fromthehills wrote:This one you'll like, JO. Unrelated to the thread, though.
He mentionz meth, so its related!

Added to my favez. xanks!

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am

They gave up on trying to lift the machines out intact. A crew started disassembling the crane yesterday, carrying the piecez by hand to a flatbed.

Got a call frum Timbuk2. Seemz Bartok wuz killed in a riot he started during an escape attempt. The caller sounded like the same guy who called befor and it wuz Bartoks number. He duznt speak "goodest American" so I had sum gessing to do to understand why he called.

He wants to be my distributor there. :roll: