Methamphetamine America

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Re: Methamphetamine America

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Yep. constipated too:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:44 am

And a lover of Schubert, especially the String Quintet, possibly the loveliest, most tender sounds ever bound together in one package.......
One does wonder... how was Hitler's power of elimination?
Himmler's?
The entire German High Command?
Contrasted with say... Winston Churchill's
Roosevelt's?
Stalin's?
Could WWII and perhaps the Holocaust have been avoided by liberal infusions of fiber?
How about Margaret Thatcher?
The Bushes... all varieties of them ?
How far are you prepared to go with this?
Because it sure would be interesting to make comparisons... Luther with Pope Leo X, for instance...
Romney versus normal people with normal diets?
The alimentary tract view of history....

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:02 am

Many Germans had their noses up in the air, Hitler had his nose full.
He wasn't married to Eva Braun, he was married to speed.
Paranoia will get ya and it did get him. Could it have been avoided?
Makes it hard to infuse the fiber of reason when the needle is your friend.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:49 am

I've been getting withdrawal symtomz, so I am going to learn sum chemistry and make super pure meth to tide me over till BB starts again.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:47 pm

JO 753 wrote:I've been getting withdrawal symtomz, so I am going to learn sum chemistry and make super pure meth to tide me over till BB starts again.
Be careful not to overdo.
Because if anything will keep you from enjoying the finale, dead will do it every time.
Dead is the ultimate killjoy.
Better to look for distractions with longer lasting value.
Here was mine this morning: my son sent me the obituary of a well known scientist , Jerome Horowitz, who developed the drug AZT in his laboratory as he was working on possible cures for cancer.
The AZT failed in that respect, and Horowitz (figuratively) threw it on a shelf and forgot about it..... failing to patent it as well.
Along came AIDS and the explosion of interest, especially after HIV entered the general population, when a large pharmaceutical company asked for the formula, received it, patented it... and no surprise, has made billions on the drug that most AIDS survivors attribute to their being here... a provably successful drug in the greatest number of cases.
Horowitz didn't seem to care, and according to his family and his colleagues never really mentioned it, until some time later, the pharmaceutical company decided to endow a cancer research chair at Horowitz' beloved research center in Michigan...$100,000.00!!
Insulting, of course... because such an amount hardly covers the cost of a research assistant for 2 years...
And that was the extent of his anger, or at least outwardly...
But WHAT IF....?
What if Jerome Horowitz harbored, unbeknownst to his wife, chidden, fellow researchers, the personality characteristics of a Walter White?????
For one thing, think of the t-shirt possibilities: "I made them billions and all I got was this lousy chair!!"
Or "HOROWITZ!!!" instead of the "Heisenberg!" one that my son now wears exclusively.. (in fact yesterday , at the space shuttle landing celebration at LAX.... hugh crowd... it had any number of admirers... all fans of BB, and one suggesting that we have a secret handshake)!!
But the most interesting thing to me, is the possibility, because of so many factors in American life, greed, venality, the now epidemic sense of entitlement, that there are a lot of relatively little people who have been, or even think they have been screwed out of what they believe was rightfully theirs... and one of them might be standing in line at the check -out counter, with you or me in front of him, when the SNAP MOMENT.... occurs.
Although even before the snap moment he might have been putting some exotic, slowly effective, fatal concoction in the water.
But OMG... what if it turns out that he is nothing more or less than a Republican pushed over the edge by the fact of Obama as President?
Nothing whatever to do with any possible connection to "Breaking Bad.." and the saga of Walter White.... just another White guy altogether.

But that's just me.... thinking, thinking, thinking...big and bigger thoughts all the time.....

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:44 am

I'm over 300% pure already. Its a nice rainbowish violet color. The trick iz magnetic suspension in all processes where the temperature iz over 120f.

But I've alredy thought uv a way to make the methlamine conversion way more efficient without hi temp hi pressure, so its going to end up even purer.

So pure it will be a new element on the periodic table!

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Oh Jo!!
I just heard the news!
Only one Emmy, for Aaron Paul as supporting actor...in "Breaking Bad.."
WE WUZ ROBBED, Jo, ROBBED!! ... BB did not sweep the Emmys as predicted and even desired... although certainly the quality of art is not determined by popular agreement, or awards by committee.

I am laughing at myself for my disappointment, but as I have it I might as well own up to it, so yeah, a pox upon award presentations.
And there is this... it is possible, and even probable if experience is a witness, that too many awards can dull the creative juices and might have ruined the edginess that is major part of BB's attraction, and caused some carelessness with what is now surely going to be a whopper of an ending.

But still.... what a bunch of sad sacks those voters must be, if they couldn't separate the platinum from the baser metals!
Pissed,
NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:10 pm

I think the people issuing entertainment awardz get bored with stuff and also get the notion that winnerz shouldn't keep getting awardz for the same show.

I have trouble taking Emmyz seriously in particular considering that The Simpsonz didn't win within the first 3 seazonz. Have they won yet??????

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 am

JO 753 wrote:I think the people issuing entertainment awardz get bored with stuff and also get the notion that winnerz shouldn't keep getting awardz for the same show.

I have trouble taking Emmyz seriously in particular considering that The Simpsonz didn't win within the first 3 seazonz. Have they won yet??????
No idea... I am against Emmys, Tonys and Oscars , and Nobels (since the one awarded Henry Kissinger) on principle...

An example of their particular disgrace is that Paul and Esposito were both nominated as best supporting actors....
How to choose, and why have to choose at all between two actors who are great in totally different kinds of roles: Paul's more flamboyant and more visible in the long term..
Why not... "the best cast in a drama about drugs and drug dealing in America ..is...." and everyone gets one.....and so do the writers and director for making the cast shine as it does?
:: Stamps foot:: WHY can't I get what I want?
Why doesn't the bell tapping Tio Hector get an award for just being AWESOME in every moment he is onscreen? In a role that is staggering, really, as a product of a writer's imagination?
Dickie of "Justified" (the only other program I watched last year) was terrific... but he was a well written, well acted character, not a force of nature... like Mark Margoiis, who will forever be enshrined in my heart with Prince Mishkin, Captain Ahab, Ichagod Crane, Oliver Twist, and Elizabeth Bennet among the great literary creations...
I LOVE Tio Hector.... and would even accept Resurrection on his behalf....

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 am

Rant! Rage! Change the world! Fire off angry letterz! Plot assassinationz! Make protest posterz!

Later, tho. The show iz going to be on soon & you got to get your mini eggrolls cooking and the MRD STINGR in the freezer.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:25 am

I'm taking Walts advice. The x-ray crystalograf will be here tommorow. See for sure how pure.

The bar dip comparator pH contraption I made iz saying 23,722% pure, but unless I goofed up with the intermediate containerz, thats obviously nonsense. I ran the calculations from 3 different anglez and it must be at least if not exactly 23,724.41% pure.

Its so pure now that I get dizzy just looking at it. Gotta start looking for a meth hed to try this stuff out for real!

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:18 pm

JO 753 wrote:I'm taking Walts advice. The x-ray crystalograf will be here tommorow. See for sure how pure.

The bar dip comparator pH contraption I made iz saying 23,722% pure, but unless I goofed up with the intermediate containerz, thats obviously nonsense. I ran the calculations from 3 different anglez and it must be at least if not exactly 23,724.41% pure.

Its so pure now that I get dizzy just looking at it. Gotta start looking for a meth hed to try this stuff out for real!
Jesus god!!
It's so pure, and the high so powerful, the just reading about it made me sit down and listen to my dog's saga of her dreams deferred and abandoned.
After which we wept together and then I bit her.

NMB
Skepticism:

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 pm

nmblum wrote:
JO 753 wrote:I'm taking Walts advice. The x-ray crystalograf will be here tommorow. See for sure how pure.

Jesus god!!
It's so pure, and the high so powerful, the just reading about it made me sit down and listen to my dog's saga of her dreams deferred and abandoned.

NMB
That's madness, likely the result of rabies. :)

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Now therez an idea! Distilled rabiez neurotoxin! It'll probably go good with sum chili powder.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm

vanderpoel wrote:
nmblum wrote:

Jesus god!!

NMB
That's madness, likely the result of rabies. :)
Yep... the dog died a horrible death.
NMB
Skepticism:

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Post by angawawa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Jesus god!!

NMB
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 pm

I LOVE Tio Hector.... and would even accept Resurrection on his behalf....

NMB
I agree! He was just amazing in a role that had to have been enormously difficult.

I have become something of a tv-holic since I got my Kindle. One can buy and download most tv episodes from Amazon. One of the ones I chose is "Once Upon a Time", the premise of which is that an evil queen (Snow White's stepmother) has banished all our favorite storybook characters to a small town in Maine. Not as cheesy as it sounds!! To my great delight, it offers Giancarlo Esposito in the role of the reporter for the town newspaper, a simpering toady to the mayor who is also the evil queen. I find it enormously delicious that this show also has a White, albeit as far from Walter as one could imagine.

I am one of those people who can play the Kevin Bacon game, only with scifi (and some other) actors instead of Bacon.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Five years ago I would have volunteered! Thanks to my kids I am no longer in that place, but even after all these years, I can feel that tightening in my throat and jaws just thinking about it. All it takes is a drive by the homes of some of my old connections, and looking through the windows to see them all emaciated and covered in sores, their backyards piled high with garbage and the kids running wild. That does the trick.

Here's a funny story.

A "friend" of mine has a father who has a Ph.D. in organic chemistry. He put himself through school even with two small children and an alcoholic wife. This was back in the early 70's. One day my friend was looking through an old chem text and a piece of paper fell on the floor. She picked it up and noticed the word "methamphet." written across the top (this was about 20 years ago). Just then her father walked in and she asked him what it was. He took the paper from her hand and said, "That's how I made it through grad school." WOW. Just...wow.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Did he mean by taking the stuff or making & selling it?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:55 am

JO 753 wrote:Did he mean by taking the stuff or making & selling it?
You are too smart by far.
Sometimes.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Finally got the kristolograf set up correctly. Almost ruined it kuz I forgot I had 3 faze in a regular 3 prong outlet! Luckily just blew the power supply fuze.

Something for the gear grinder thred: Duz everything haf to hav software in it now, gorrammmittt!!! Remember the good old dayz wen you plunk down the cash, get it out uv the box, plug it in and it duz wut its suppoze to do? Theze dayz its like the engineerz just give up on finishing the R&D and leave it to the customer to go thru a set-up rigamarole armed with a badly tranzlated instruction pamflet and an onscreen menu.

Got to prepare a fresh batch, kuz this wun haz certainly abzorbed contaminants from the air over the last few dayz. Its changed frum a rainbowish black to dark gray and it glowz a scary white in the dark. Thing iz, I only get a teenth out uv 200 poundz uv base materialz and the ozmium/silver alloy I uze insted uv aluminum shavingz is very expensive. So I gotta save up for a few weeks.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Both, I think. He always said the more chemically pure the meth, the less damage it does. He talked many times about how the cooks in MO were NOT chemists and had no idea what they were really doing.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:06 pm

JO 753 wrote:Finally got the kristolograf set up correctly. Almost ruined it kuz I forgot I had 3 faze in a regular 3 prong outlet! Luckily just blew the power supply fuze.

Something for the gear grinder thred: Duz everything haf to hav software in it now, gorrammmittt!!! Remember the good old dayz wen you plunk down the cash, get it out uv the box, plug it in and it duz wut its suppoze to do? Theze dayz its like the engineerz just give up on finishing the R&D and leave it to the customer to go thru a set-up rigamarole armed with a badly tranzlated instruction pamflet and an onscreen menu.

Got to prepare a fresh batch, kuz this wun haz certainly abzorbed contaminants from the air over the last few dayz. Its changed frum a rainbowish black to dark gray and it glowz a scary white in the dark. Thing iz, I only get a teenth out uv 200 poundz uv base materialz and the ozmium/silver alloy I uze insted uv aluminum shavingz is very expensive. So I gotta save up for a few weeks.
Use your own funds?
Ridiculous.
Set up a public offering at some completely unreasonable price.
Sell shares.
Does recent financial history mean nothing to you?
You ivory tower types, scientists, idealists... always up there in the clouds...

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 pm

angawawa wrote:
Both, I think. He always said the more chemically pure the meth, the less damage it does. He talked many times about how the cooks in MO were NOT chemists and had no idea what they were really doing.
I can't believe I actually discussed this with an actual crystallographer, to whom I am somewhat related..
And while he, involved with some less interesting pursuit, claimed to be weak in the area of meth specifically, he did say that even as the "purity" of the drug might possibly diminish the possibility of toxic damage to the user, the real boon remains as it always has - the holy grail of mind-altering drugdom - the speed and intensity of the high.
Which , to any user of any potentially lethal drug, is worth dying - or worse - for.
In other words, the less time the user has to waste to attain the all too often human goal of becoming a vegetable... the more successful the drug.
However, it is one of the few areas of life, that I'm glad to know almost nothing about.
In the case of almost all drugs.. including alcohol.. all of which I don't object to on any moral grounds, ... ignorance, as far as I am personally concerned, is bliss.
Perhaps not my choice.. if any suggestion of free will is involved here... for me, two aspirin act as effective sleeping pills. and even cannabis including the leaves of the two fabulous plants I grew from Mexican seeds, in pots on my patio, make me sleepy and/or sad.
So I don't even pretend to the right to vote on the subject.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:14 pm

I got a call frum a jib hed in Timbuk 2 a few minits ago. He must be reading this thred. Offered me 3 yaks and his virgin daughter for the batch, even after I told him it's only a teenth and looks like its going stale very quickly. Spoke suprizingly passable English for a rural junky. Must hav spent alot uv time in ESL classez.

Seemed sincere and desperate, but wen I segjested that he convert hiz offer to cash there, since it woudnt be practical to ship a girl and 3 herd beasts to America, he got angry and hung up! Jib hedz! HA! Good name for them.

Iz there a difference between a jib hed and a meth hed or iz it just 2 different namez for the same thing?

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 pm

nmblum wrote:Use your own funds?
Ridiculous.
Set up a public offering at some completely unreasonable price.
Sell shares.
Does recent financial history mean nothing to you?
Obviously not. I hav no idea how to set up a public offering. Pleaze clue me in.

I hav a billion+ unit per yir project here gathering dust bekuz I cant even get any uv the related companyz to take a look.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:17 am

Got a check for 83.20$ today. I gess daughterz and yaks are not in great demand anywhere.

The problem iz that the stuff changed frum a fine dark gray rainbow powder to a yucky brown paste overnite. Seemz to be completely ded since it duznt make me dizzy wen I look at it and a test run thru the XRC sed 'no sample match' wich meanz the stuff iznt meth anymore.

So shoud I return Tarrulem Bartok's check or a crunched up Oxycontin pill mixed with commutator brush dust?

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:59 pm

They call me commutator salad.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Cashed the check . Sent wut he paid for.

The brown wuznt the final stage. Az uv 2 pm (midwest) it wuz brite blue granulez that test 108%. Hopefully it will stabilize around there & Mr. Bartok will be happy.

UUUU, How much iz a normal hit? I realized that I wuz assuming a teenth meant 1/10 ounce, but now I'm wondering if its 1/10 gram. Just remembering Jesse complaining that it took him a long time to get rid uv an ounce '1 teenth at a time', so iz it 1/10 gram???

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:50 pm

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:57 pm

JO 753 wrote:Cashed the check . Sent wut he paid for.

The brown wuznt the final stage. Az uv 2 pm (midwest) it wuz brite blue granulez that test 108%. Hopefully it will stabilize around there & Mr. Bartok will be happy.

UUUU, How much iz a normal hit? I realized that I wuz assuming a teenth meant 1/10 ounce, but now I'm wondering if its 1/10 gram. Just remembering Jesse complaining that it took him a long time to get rid uv an ounce '1 teenth at a time', so iz it 1/10 gram???
Actually, a 'teenth is a sixteenth of an ounce. I'm sure you've heard of an eight-ball, one-eighth of an ounce. A 'teenth is half that. An ounce is about 27.5 grams, an eight-ball about 3.5 grams, which would make a 'teenth about 1.75 grams.

That right there is street-learnin'.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:35 pm

OOOOO! sixteenth! I've been demented this whole time! xanks!

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:42 pm

JO 753 wrote:OOOOO! sixteenth! I've been demented this whole time! xanks!

What better lesson than that "a little learning is a dangerous thing?"
Whenever we feel hip.. damn, it's just NOT quite hip enough!

So even methheads really have to check the data before taking on the hobby...
You should suggest - wherever it is that one gets to suggest such helpful things - that one's first meth purchase of any given day should be wrapped with measurement information.
Sure, it MIGHT no help, but it certainly would endow the transaction with a bit of class.

NMB
Skepticism:

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 pm

I saw a quote from Albert Einstein - "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot." I had never heard it before and I just love it.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 pm

angawawa wrote:I saw a quote from Albert Einstein - "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot." I had never heard it before and I just love it.
Not so fast... I'm not sure that Einstein was debunking the value of knowing whatever there is to know, if he actually said it.
And I'm not sure.. perhaps someone else knows... but I think that remark was made after the dropping of the second atom bomb this time on Nagasaki, Japan.
Einstein had been instrumental in convincing President Roosevelt that every effort should be made in pursuing the technology made available by nuclear fission with the end being a bomb that would frighten the Japanese, with or without its actual use.
The Atomic Bomb: Albert Einstein's Letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt
Digital History ID 1184

Author: Albert Einstein
Date:1939

Annotation: In August 1939, six months after physicists Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassman had demonstrated the process of nuclear fission, Albert Einstein, at the urging of physicist Leo Szilard, wrote to President Franklin D. Roosevelt about the danger of Nazi Germany creating an atomic bomb.

Document: Sir:

Some recent work by E. Fermi and L. Szilard, which has been communicated to me in manuscript, leads me to expect that the element uranium may be turned into a new and important source of energy in the immediate future. Certain aspects of the situation which has arisen seem to call for watchfulness and, if necessary, quick action on the part of the Administration. I believe therefore that it is my duty to bring to your attention the following facts and recommendations:

In the course of the last four months it has been made probable-through the work of Joliot in France as well as Fermi and Szilard in America-that it may become possible to set up a nuclear chain reaction in a large mass of uranium, by which vast amount of power and large quantities of new radium-like elements would be generated. Now it appears almost certain that this could be achieved in the immediate future.

This new phenomenon would also lead to the construction of bombs, and it is conceivable-though much less certain-that extremely powerful bombs of a new type may thus be constructed. A single bomb of this type, carried by boat and exploded in a port, might very well destroy the whole port together with some of the surrounding territory. However, such bombs might very well prove to be too heavy for transportation by air.

The United States has only very poor ores of uranium in moderate quantities. There is some good ore in Canada and the former Czechoslovakia, while the most important source of uranium is the Belgian Congo.

In view of this situation you may think it desirable to have some permanent contact maintained between the Administration and the group of physicists working on chain reactions in America. One possible way of achieving this might be for you to entrust with this task a person who has your confidence and who could perhaps serve in an inofficial capacity. His task might comprise the following:

a) to approach Government Departments, keep them informed of the further development, and put forward recommendations for Government action, giving particular attention to the problem of securing a supply of uranium ore for the United States:

b) to speed up the experimental work, which is at present being carried on within the limits of the budgets of University laboratories, by providing funds, if such funds be required, through his contacts with private persons who are willing to make contributions for this cause, and perhaps also by obtaining the co-operation of industrial laboratories which have the necessary equipment.

I understand that Germany has actually stopped the sale of uranium from the Czechoslovakian mines which she has taken over. That she should have taken such early action might perhaps be understood on the ground that the son of the German Under-Secretary of State, von Weizsacker, is attached to the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut in Berlin where some of the American work on uranium is now being repeated.

Yours very truly,

[signed] Albert Einstein

Co

Hardly the communication of a man deriding the idea of knowing too much; more the idea of a man who couldn't wait to know the most that could be known about the limits -even the most potentially destructive limits- of science.
But the Japanese never got the chance to choose surrender over being subjected to a disaster such as the world had never seen, before or sine...
Maybe Einstein, presumably a Humanist, certainly a unique genius with as much moral clout as anyone in the West, regretted his enthusiasm for what became the Manhattan Project... and then.... history.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:42 am

Odd thing - saw Juj Dredd last week and Looper tonite - Brian Cranston wuz in niether movie!

But near the end uv the credits for Looper, they gave a thanks to "Vince Gilligan and the BB gang". I didnt get a chance to read the whole note, but I assume it wuz thanks for supplying the movie crew with primo skontay during production.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 am

Finished the second batch this morning. It measurez 30,124.28% pure. I think the improvement iz frum natural impurities on the internal equipment surfacez being flushed away.

Calculating frum the perspective uv atomic weight puts it at 98.35 on the periodic table. thats between Californium and Einstienium. Soundz crazy, but there iznt realy a hard line between atomz and molecules. Az long az you can get the nucleusez close together, therez no practical difference.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 pm

nmblum wrote:
Hardly the communication of a man deriding the idea of knowing too much; more the idea of a man who couldn't wait to know the most that could be known about the limits -even the most potentially destructive limits- of science.
But the Japanese never got the chance to choose surrender over being subjected to a disaster such as the world had never seen, before or sine...
Maybe Einstein, presumably a Humanist, certainly a unique genius with as much moral clout as anyone in the West, regretted his enthusiasm for what became the Manhattan Project... and then.... history.

NMB
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/75179-a ... ng-so-is-a

I guess I see it differently. Knowledge, a little or a lot, can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. Or perhaps he was talking about religion, where a little knowledge of science can set one on the road to atheism. You do have a good point about the Manhattan Project. I'm sure everyone knows what Oppenheimer said after seeing the result of the Trinity test, quoting Shiva, the Hindu goddess of death; "Now, I am become death, destroyer of worlds."

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:40 pm

I can't decide whether it matters or not... somedays yes, somedays no......but Oppenheimer wasn't quoting Shiva, the goddess Death, but Vishnu, in one of his incarnations, the preserver of the Universe.. and "brighter than a thousand suns.." (Bhagavad Gita, Canto Xi (?))
(I think,.... its been a long time since I found and read those remarkable words,, but you can check it out.)

But in some translations... and this is the tricky part, as happens when we are dealing with gods (Einstein being a god), in some translations your quote is presented as "Now, I am become TIME, destroyer of worlds.."
Which gives the line, and the entire Canto, an entirely different meaning.
But the point is that knowledge is neither bad nor good: it simply is.
What we make of what we know is what has significance for ourselves and for the world. as it exists, rather than how we wish it to be.
The idea that knowledge is, in and of itself, negative, comes of course from that good old handbook of evil, Genesis... with the feckless couple who tasted of the fruit of the tree of knowledge.
The signifiant problem with knowledge ...which is what Vishnu/Oppenheimer was trying to tell us, is that once out of its cave,there is no way that knowledge can be forced back into it...
Therefore curious man is left with this dilemma: to stop pursuing knowledge altogether, or to go where our curiosity leads us.
And if it is the latter - as in the matter of nuclear fusion - then we have to live wisely with what we have learned.

NMB
Skepticism:

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks for the correction, Norma. I have actually thought it was Shiva for about twenty years, and I find myself caught doing something I just accused another poster of doing; namely, writing something in a post that I did not check first.

While I agree that refusing to pursue knowledge is not an option, I think there are instances where someone has to decide to keep some knowledge from some people. After 9/11, there was a program about the security of a nuclear facility in Texas, I believe. In my opinion, there was some information given out during that program that should have been kept back. There was information about what a bad person could do and how they could do it. Online, there are sites which instruct you how to build a bomb http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-B ... 6400.shtml. And going back to the OP, there are places on the web where you find out how to cook meth http://www.zoklet.net/totse/en/drugs/sp ... 91749.html. I am not sure that this kind of information should really be available to anyone who wants it. There are some really, REALLY stupid people out there. Just read http://notalwaysright.com/.

Hmmmm.... Now I am nervous that some Big Brother program locked away in the bowels of the CIA is looking for me right now.

Also, this is kind of funny...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cel ... _blog.html