Methamphetamine America

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Re: Methamphetamine America

Post by angawawa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

A little aside here... Wendy the Hooker looks just like Willem DaFoe in Boondock Saints, when he dresses up mile a woman.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Mostly for Jo.. (who may already have read it) but also for anyone else mesmerized cum obsessed with "Breaking Bad.."
I received a gift today (Kindle edition) ...of a book !!! I never knew existed:
"Breaking Bad and Philosophy: Badder Living through Chemistry" (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
Fun read so far.. .. lifting as it does the television series to the realm where popular culture meets serious thought... as it should..
I don't know if it exists in any other edition, but there is a long sample that can be read on the Amazon web site.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:20 pm

angawawa wrote:A little aside here... Wendy the Hooker looks just like Willem DaFoe in Boondock Saints, when he dresses up mile a woman.
Funny...
But I saw a marked resemblance to Mother Theresa, classier wardrobe, and of course, taller and with better boobs and boots.
Bringing to mind the serious question of the masochism and pitiable desperation of both parties in such pairings....
Ah sweet mystery of life...!!

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 pm

:lol: evrewun noz its wende!

Only if youv seen the latest episode:
Spoiler:
I think its sort uv a mistake in the riting that Mike didnt see that coming. Certainly within the relm uv credibilty, since nobodyz perfect, but compared to previous examplez uv hiz skill level plus hiz opinion uv Walt, I'd expect him to be prepared for that. In fact, if it wuz me, I woud hav at least decked him rite after yelling at him and maybe shot him to protect my guyz.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:12 pm

[quote="JO 753"]:lol: evrewun noz its wende!

Only if youv seen the latest episode:

Agreed ... much to talk about... but I can't believe Gilligan isn't as conscienious about the details of basic character as I am, and hasn't thought about them more...so I'm buttoning my always-complaining-lip.

NMB
Skepticism:

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:39 am

End Season Four. Holy Cow.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:29 pm

fromthehills wrote:End Season Four. Holy Cow.
I know!!!! I had to just sit :there for like five minutes just gasping for air. Even the last two weeks recruiting new second time around! I have spent the last two weeks recruiting new viewers from my friends and family. People seem to be reluctant, though and I'm not sure why.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:26 pm

I am late to the discussion, so pardon me if this has already been mentioned: everytime I read or hear the "argument" about which city/county/state is the Meth Producer Capital of the U.S., I wonder, "What does it matter? The U.S. is the Meth Consumer Capital of the World."

I thought it was the meth producer capital of the world, too, but now I hear Mexico is the Meth Producer Capital of the World: "The historic seizure of 15 tons of pure methamphetamine in western Mexico, equal to half of all meth seizures worldwide in 2009, feeds growing speculation that the country could become a world platform for meth production, not just a supplier to the United States." ~ AP

Oh shoot, another industry outsourced .. unless we're just better at not having our meth seized.

As to the question of why people destroy their lives and the lives of their family for meth, I can think of only two reasons: they don't give a damn; or they convinced themselves they could use it recreationally, and they were mistaken.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:01 pm

angawawa wrote:
I know!!!! I had to just sit :there for like five minutes just gasping for air. Even the last two weeks recruiting new second time around! I have spent the last two weeks recruiting new viewers from my friends and family. People seem to be reluctant, though and I'm not sure why.
Spoiler:
I like Gus, too. He was my favorite character, I think. What's amazing is how many twists and turns there are, and how the show challenges, at least for me, the concept of who's the hero, and who's the villain. The whole point, I suppose.
My wife has had the unfortunate experience of only catching the gory parts in passing, so won't watch it with me.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Chachacha wrote:"The historic seizure of 15 tons of pure methamphetamine in western Mexico,
Walter:
"Pure? HA! PURE GARBAGE!

Mexico couldn't make 'pure' if it's existence depended on it! Nor America or anywhere else for that matter. Even the most well equiped pharmecuetical manufacturers feel lucky to achieve 97%. I alone can exceed 99%. My recipe! ME!

So you can take your 15 tones and throw it down the toilet and get the hell off my turf!"

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:32 pm

Chachacha wrote:I am late to the discussion, so pardon me if this has already been mentioned: everytime I read or hear the "argument" about which city/county/state is the Meth Producer Capital of the U.S., I wonder, "What does it matter? The U.S. is the Meth Consumer Capital of the World."

I thought it was the meth producer capital of the world, too, but now I hear Mexico is the Meth Producer Capital of the World: "The historic seizure of 15 tons of pure methamphetamine in western Mexico, equal to half of all meth seizures worldwide in 2009, feeds growing speculation that the country could become a world platform for meth production, not just a supplier to the United States." ~ AP

Oh shoot, another industry outsourced .. unless we're just better at not having our meth seized.

As to the question of why people destroy their lives and the lives of their family for meth, I can think of only two reasons: they don't give a damn; or they convinced themselves they could use it recreationally, and they were mistaken.
My own view,open to correction, about the American middle class' out -of -control use of and yen for more drugs, is that never in the history of the world has a society had so much of everything and enjoyed it so little....
Hopeless, unalleviated poverty is its own market.

YOur latter point is I think true of upper class dabblers... who in the end are probably responsible for a large percentage of drug revenue..
"Don't give a damn" resides in neighborhoods, communities, that are not only poor, but have the gloom of institutionalized poverty.... no sliver of gold at the end of their (shabby, oft unnoticed) rainbow..
The kind of poverty that can't be assailed by beauty, natural or art, or taken out of its torpor by fantasies of a better future...
It is painful to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone, that we do so little to keep our financially beset communities from sliding from any manner of optimism into the hopelessness of "nothing will every change. for the better...so let's get drunk... or high.. or both."
But as to the intricacies of drug distribution and ill-gotten gains:
I believe, although I haven't check it out today, that the entire population of the Republic of Mexico, including a large rural indigenous population that barely partakes in a money economy, is less than 115 million..
Contrasted with the much better off over 300 million US population
demographics alone make America the market of choice for any illegal substances...
As Breaking Bad suggests the goal of the cartels ( and who wouldn't want a cartel, rather than a Heisenberg and Assistant operation?) wherever their drugs are manufactured, is to get the goods into the United States.. a natural target.....
Not that Mexico is immune to charms of drugs... as they go more prosperous as now, and their middle class grows, people with disposable income and a desire for a good time ... the cartel also caters to the growing need,,but the US remains the Numero Uno in desirable markets.
But drug lords like Heisenberg... I think.. a new breed, really doesn't think in terms like regions or markets...
For Walt/Heisenberg/Scarface.......it's "tomorrow the world.."
Sorta like Exxon Mobile...

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:48 pm

fromthehills wrote:
angawawa wrote:
Spoiler:
I like Gus, too. He was my favorite character, I think. What's amazing is how many twists and turns there are, and how the show challenges, at least for me, the concept of who's the hero, and who's the villain. The whole point, I suppose.
My wife has had the unfortunate experience of only catching the gory parts in passing, so won't watch it with me.
The gory parts so far have been so sudden and so shocking that one doesn't have time to look away..
And so frequent in various ways, that one doesn't have time to moralize..
And where there is no actual violence there is such a suggestion of violence , so ominous as to make one edgy, suspicious, on alert all the time.
I can't speak for your wife.. but I don't real like watching BB with other people... to explain why would give too much away about me...
But I have noticed that the reactions of others watching as a group gives a lot away about them too...
And I don't want to deal with any of it,.

At least as until this remarkable series that examines (to their detriment) our allusions about love, family, parenthood, children, rule of law, loyalty, the questionable value of cool, competent intelligence, the influence of money in personal relationships... comes to an end.
IF I can live through it without my heart breaking from some unexpected assault on what I take for granted about what humans will and will not do.... (my suspicions for the end are terrifying even to me).

By the way, I recently saw, for the nth time,"Looking for Richard" and extraordinary vision of Shakespeare's play, "Richard III.." the evil scion of the House of York, who schemed, married, murdered, all to reach the English throne...
Such blood letting, such cruelty, including the killing of two beautiful, innocent, little boys imprisoned in the Tower of London...
And a final battle in Bosworth Field that left Richard screaming, "a horse!! A horse!! My KINGDOM for a horse,!!
What a drama, what a moral allegory, what a political statement, what a human tragedy..
But it really can't hold a candle to "Breaking Bad..." which is the here and now.... and US.

NMB
Skepticism:

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:27 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ed-in.html
The archaeologists think they found Richard III burial place...Under the parking lot.. Poor guy, if he could only remember where he left his car.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:36 am

Flash wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ed-in.html
The archaeologists think they found Richard III burial place...Under the parking lot.. Poor guy, if he could only remember where he left his car.
He had a lot on his mind.
And whaddya want from a severely handicapped guy, in a game way over his head ...... sorta like Tony Soparano.... or Mitt Romney?
"Made I him king for this?" (Spoken by Buckingham as he is choked to death by Richard's henchman.)
And something to think about for all of us.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:13 pm

I dred finding out who Walt will kill tonite! Or Jesse! :shock:

And I'm sorta relieved to get a break till next yir.

I'll catch up on the relaxing melodrama, Dexter. I think its seazon 6 coming out on disk soon.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:35 pm

JO 753 wrote:I dred finding out who Walt will kill tonite! Or Jesse! :shock:

I'll catch up on the relaxing melodrama, Dexter. I think its seazon 6 coming out on disk soon.
I find myself dreading the next episode just as much as I'm looking forward to it. I am watching season 3 of Justified, which is much easier on the heart, with the breathtaking eyecandy of Tim Olyphant who is also a terrific actor. I have to catch up on the last 3 seasons of Dexter. But nothing can compare, emotionally, to the effect of BB.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:53 pm

angawawa wrote:
JO 753 wrote:I dred finding out who Walt will kill tonite! Or Jesse! :shock:

I find myself dreading the next episode just as much as I'm looking forward to it. I am watching season 3 of Justified, which is much easier on the heart, with the breathtaking eyecandy of Tim Olyphant who is also a terrific actor. I have to catch up on the last 3 seasons of Dexter. But nothing can compare, emotionally, to the effect of BB.
"Justified" has its charms... based on the work of a terrific American writer, blessed with wonderful actors, (Margo Martindale (sp.) won an award for her stunning portrayal of a murderous mountain matriarch), . and quirky characters, half hillbilly and half the product of contemporary, disappearing coal country civilization..
It also addresses the disconnect between the prevailing Christianity and the actually frail morality of people desperate for survival at any cost..

Interesting and intelligent.. and yeah.. Olyphant is better than good to look upon.. which helps immeasurably...
But the wonder of BB is, in part that it doesn't.. never did even in the beginning, depend on glamour and/or beauty of the actors in looking for an audience...
And considering that much of both entertainment AND news, seek the not -so bold-but the very beautiful to snare their share of the audience, that really is saying something.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:20 am

!

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:42 am

JO 753 wrote:!

You're not kidding.....
NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:08 am

For posterityz sake, mostly me wen I reread this thread in 5 yirz and woudnt know wut I wuz tokking about, that wuz my review 5 minits after watching the final episode uv the 1st haf uv seazon 5.

And on that, why not just say seazon 5 iz over after 8 episodez and next yir call it seazon 6? After all, sezon 1 only had 7 episodez. If there wuz just like a month or 2 till they fire it up again, OK, but this iz a hole yir!

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:32 am

Small Town Security iz total crap. If you put it at the bottom end uv the scale and Breaking Bad at the top, Jerry Springer would be about 70% uv the way up.

I hav seen less than 10 minits uv it total, and its az predictable az gravity. Its a cast uv karactrless karaktrz making embarrassing remarks. I assume security stuff happenz sumtime during the show and each karaktr will hav stuff going on that will play out thru the seezon, but the embarrassing statements are wuts suppozed to draw in the ratingz.

AMC must hav figured they need to hej their bets and get in on the trash TV market. I'm not sure - did Ozzy start this style uv crap? Now therez the Kardashianz, sumthing frum Jersey with a snooky and sum goonz, everything on MTV.

Or maybe therez an average quality requirement impozed by the FCC. Similar to fleet averaj milaj requirements for car companyz, only its a maximum insted uv minimum. So bekuz BB iz so great and they hav several other orijinl showz that look like they are above average, Small town security iz needed to get them back under the limit.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Okay, let's get down to brass tacks here: what do you think about introducing domestic Nazis (ah, those tattooss.. the fingers that announce immediately that they don't really give a {!#%@} what anyone thinks of them) into what has so far been a rather exclusive mix?
And that led up to the homage to FFCoppula, with the perfectly planned and executed assassinations ( the variety!! the speed! ) in the prisons?...
WW as Godfather IV.
I thought it was stunning... as was the unveiling of the mountain of money in the otherwise empty storage room... and its aftermath that I think suggests that Walt hasn't gone so completely bonkers that he couldn't seen that there IS a limit to the amount of money he has to make to be secure, or to interpret such wealth as his final proof of his intellectual superiority.
Most of us never get the privilege of seeing our worth piled up in front of us as a tangible proof.
But MOST OF ALL, OVER AND ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE, I LOOOVE that Hank received his epiphany while sitting on the toilet.
So brilliant as to challenge everything that went before!!
Like Martin Luther, who, it has be said, as a Catholic priest received his vision for his eventual rebellion against the Pope, as well as for his defining theses..., while sitting on a chamber pot. (presumably Luther suffered from constipation.. which may actually explain Protestantism). .
What a perfect image....
Especially as there are almost no signs of religion in the lives of the Anglos in this series... none, not even churches in the landscape (unless I missed something... someone tell me please).
Only the Hispanics, the twins doing the penance crawl in one of the early episodes, and the Day of the Dead altar in another...
But I think - please chime in here - that Gilligan really has the Christian vision of heavenly reward and punishment...but of retribution for sins here on earth that presages a terrible, terrifying bloody end ...
and the anticipation this causes is also terrible: I can barely stand it..
My son by the way, thinks Gilligan is toying with us and our fears created by the presence of the baby... He thinks, although he laughs at himself, that even though the interview with Hank on "Fresh Air" resulted in 40,000 protests of "spoiler" it was a set up..
We can never now see the cute, innocent (and incredibly well behaved, considering the tensions she lives among ) baby now without trembling with anxiety before the possibilities of horror to come..
So now that I've showed you mine... YOU have to show me YOURS..

NMB
Skepticism:

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:57 pm

One of things I find interesting, having thought about it after some of Norma's remarks, is the lack of sexiness on BB. None of the characters are particularly appealing in that way. Although I think Walt is MORE appealing than he was in the beginning; he is thinner and in better shape, he walks with a sense of total confidence, bald is almost always sexier - he is still not sexy. He has become too scary now to seem sexy, and the menace he has used on Sky since the beginning of season 5 creeped me out.

OK, so this is my prediction (and should we do a pool? - whoever comes closest gets a fabulous prize!!): Walter will wake up next to Sky, hair grown back in, pudgy and unfit, and it will all have been a DREAM!!
That is what I am hoping for because I am just so scared to see it all end in a bloody, bloody bang. (Or, as Mike said "I don't want to be around for the boom." And, of course, he isn't...)

When Hank grabbed Leaves of Grass, I thought the list of names was going to fall out.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:48 pm

angawawa wrote:One of things I find interesting, having thought about it after some of Norma's remarks, is the lack of sexiness on BB. None of the characters are particularly appealing in that way. Although I think Walt is MORE appealing than he was in the beginning; he is thinner and in better shape, he walks with a sense of total confidence, bald is almost always sexier - he is still not sexy. He has become too scary now to seem sexy, and the menace he has used on Sky since the beginning of season 5 creeped me out.

OK, so this is my prediction (and should we do a pool? - whoever comes closest gets a fabulous prize!!): Walter will wake up next to Sky, hair grown back in, pudgy and unfit, and it will all have been a DREAM!!
That is what I am hoping for because I am just so scared to see it all end in a bloody, bloody bang. (Or, as Mike said "I don't want to be around for the boom." And, of course, he isn't...)

When Hank grabbed Leaves of Grass, I thought the list of names was going to fall out.
And in a sense, it did... the jig is more or less up, and the question now is how long the dance goes on before the BOOM...
And you are right about the lack of overt sex in BB... but there IS love, sometimes peculiar and sometimes repellent, but love.
Jesse for instance loves his little brother, and has both affection and sympathy (certainly a form of love) for all kids, much of his motivations, including murder, come from that wellspring.

But more significant I think is the overall truism that when the acquisition of money is the prime motivator , the obsessive drive of a
human's behavior, to the point where no amount is enough, and nothing, no moral restraint stands in the way of acquiring more and more, then every other human emotion become stunted, and eventually dies... dries up like the landscape surrounding "Pollos Hermanos..." sere, dusty, ugly and making anything possible.
And ,I think, that's where we are in "Breaking Bad..."
And it is unlikely although... I dunno.. it might be fun to be wrong... that at the end all the now living characters, including Jr. and Baby (or their ghosts) ... will leap up to clap, dance and sing as if we had been watching "Show Boat."

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 am

You need to put that stuff in
Spoiler:
See the hide button up there between google and offtopic?
Even wen you can see sumthing coming in this show, it still landz on you like an Acme piano. Hints and 'prevuez' (like the pink teddy scenes) are there just to put a knot in your stomach. Gilligan es Diablo!

If you are desperate for a prediction:
Spoiler:
Flynnz little scene wuznt put in just to be cutesy! He will turn out to be a dealer

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 am

angawawa wrote:One of things I find interesting, having thought about it after some of Norma's remarks, is the lack of sexiness on BB.
Its a big credit to Gilligan and whoever else iz in charge uv casting that they go for an 'ordinary' level uv attractiveness for most uv the kariktrz.

Az a guy, I'd rate Jane az a little above avarage, az well az the methlamine supplier lady whoz name I cant recall. There wuz a hot blond dancing with Jesse at the begining uv hiz nonstop house party. Then there wuz the strip club. And wuznt Ted Benecke a handsome man?

Az for sex, dont forget a scene near the beginning uv episode 1 in the pilot with Walt & Skylar and later, maybe sezon 2, in the car. Then therez been a few with Jesse & Jane and then Andrea. And wut about Wendy?

AND wut about Skanky??? How coud you forget Spoojez woman? Not my cup uv tea, but drug skanks iz du shizz for many guyz. Am I rite, from?

Not that any uv it wuz a turn on for me, and I never watched any uv the 90210 genre that fillz many stationz, so maybe I dont hav an accurate standard level perception, but it seemz to me you are just overwelmed by the major events uv the show and it reducez your awareness uv the sexiness content that frum my mom'z perspective, if I may run this sentence on even farther, wuz too much just in the pilot episode and she wuodnt watch any more.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 am

Drug skanks, a turn on? Not that I'm aware of. Maybe it's the lack of teeth, but that's just a fowl thought.

I've noticed the lack of sexually explicit scenes and thought that it must be intentional, so not to distract us from the explicit violence. By making most of the characters about average, and the one's that are, perhaps, above average pretty dull, I think they have achieved an environment that makes the series seem more real, more possible. We may love to see Hally Berry and Brad Pitt half naked on the screen, but we never think that the movies could be real. So, by sucking us in on that level, a more personal level, the series becomes more disturbing and thought provoking.

I watched the Rome series, where it seemed the priority of the makers was to at least get a boob scene in every episode. I'm not above getting an eye-full, and nothing of the sexually explicit scenes on the series offended my not so delicate sensibilities, but I found that it distracted from the story.

I don't know, BBs lack of sexy scenes is fine, and the few that were scattered in seemed appropriate. But who makes love in a bikini? Or boxers? A little more skin in those scenes wouldn't have made the show any less appropriate for certain audiences, and would have actually been a little more realistic.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 pm

I wasn't necessarily talking about sex scenes, I was talking more about sexiness itself, that appeal that comes from making situations and characters seem sensual and makes you want to be there. Part of this is the attractiveness of the players, yes, but I'm thinking more on the lines of how a bad boy appeals to women, makes you wanna hook up even if he's robbing a bank. I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly, but BB does not have much of that. There were a few scenes when Walt's aggressiveness and self-assurance made him seem a lot more attractive than he was in the beginning, but his ability to be vicious and to do whatever he deems necessary to further his desires, which include horrifying acts of violence, just takes it too far from sexiness. It's just not possible to look at him and think, "Oh man, if only I were Skyler..."

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:03 pm

JO 753:
You need to put that stuff in
Spoiler:
See the hide button up there between google and offtopic?
My predictions, or my sharing of my intuitions are not, I think, spoiling.
If I actually knew anything, had seen a script, had talked to a participant in the show, then I would be guilty, as suggested.
But of course, I know nothing... I'm just asking really.

But discussing clues or intimations of what's to come is part of the enormous fun of this series........ in your house with friends and family, in the Apple store with the crowd that gathers around to comment on a Heisenberg t-shirt, or in the supermarket where a clerk told my companion that he looked like..."you know that guy in the best show on television, "Breaking Bad..."
The great unifier, "Breaking Bad.."
The private discussions on it among the Republican convention delegates where probably the most interesting of any conversations that took place there.....
From my point of view, Vince Gilligan's has lifted America out of our television doldrums..... there isn't much to think about or say in anything else.
Even wen you can see sumthing coming in this show, it still landz on you like an Acme piano. Hints and 'prevuez' (like the pink teddy scenes) are there just to put a knot in your stomach. Gilligan es Diablo!
Absolutely.... but again, chatting about those knots, exchanging notes on your knots versus my knots, what the knots triggered.... is part of the unique experience.
If you are desperate for a prediction:
Spoiler:
Flynnz little scene wuznt put in just to be cutesy! He will turn out to be a dealer[
There ya go!! I wasn't DESPERATE for a prediction but I did, as always, enjoy hearing yours.....
And we have agreed that no gesture or remark in BB is just a gesture or a remark, but rather a hint of what's to come, sooner or later.
It didn't spoil anything for me: if I've missed anything, I WANT someone to bring it to my attention.
Keep it up.

NMB
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:12 pm

fromthehills wrote:Drug skanks, a turn on? Not that I'm aware of. Maybe it's the lack of teeth, but that's just a fowl thought.

I've noticed the lack of sexually explicit scenes and thought that it must be intentional, so not to distract us from the explicit violence. By making most of the characters about average, and the one's that are, perhaps, above average pretty dull, I think they have achieved an environment that makes the series seem more real, more possible. We may love to see Hally Berry and Brad Pitt half naked on the screen, but we never think that the movies could be real. So, by sucking us in on that level, a more personal level, the series becomes more disturbing and thought provoking.

I watched the Rome series, where it seemed the priority of the makers was to at least get a boob scene in every episode. I'm not above getting an eye-full, and nothing of the sexually explicit scenes on the series offended my not so delicate sensibilities, but I found that it distracted from the story.

I don't know, BBs lack of sexy scenes is fine, and the few that were scattered in seemed appropriate. But who makes love in a bikini? Or boxers? A little more skin in those scenes wouldn't have made the show any less appropriate for certain audiences, and would have actually been a little more realistic.
Maybe, if I haven't read more into the series than is warranted, the bikini and the boxers are to make tacit mention of America's basically Puritan nature, and despite drugs, rock n'role, and the sexual revolution, we are essentially a puritanical lot, trapped in the story of the Eve and the Snake.... we carry our fig leaves with us, no matter where we are going and what we are planning to do..
If the message of Abrahamic religion is GUILT, no matter what you have in your head, then ..... from my point of view, and despite the fact that there is not a hint of overt religion (I think that's deliberate), this is tale of evil without redemption, but with guilt enough to choke us all.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:39 am

:roll: Hide button. Seriously.

I get wut youre saying, ang. Nun uv the sex and nudity iz intended az a turn on. Not even included az a ratingz booster it seemz.

Remember wut a big deal it wuz back in the 90z to hav nudity on network TV wen NYPD Blue started to show bare assez and side boob?

I had a great idea for a new show back then: NYPD Bluer! Everybody woud swear all the time and all pants woud be assless! (dressez also)

Found this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-9iNVoeghI

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:48 pm

Here's a url for an article in the latest issue of Rolling Stone....the magazine that is still the best reference for those interesting in pop culture as well as politics... both of which the editors take very seriously.
And this year particularly to "Breaking Bad," many excellent (and often fun) ones on the makers, the meaning, and the glory of the series:
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... newsletter

I assume (and hope) that there is no spoiling in this article.... but I assume too, that everyone who posts here has caught up, and that everyone has arrived at the end of the season, and is now absorbed in pondering the past, and using the results to image the future.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:36 am

You see, the hide feature givez readerz here the choice, az well az a warning. That way, everybody who iz up to date can converse and ponder wile thoze that arent can safely read with out running into a detail they havent seen yet.

There iz also an edit feature, so you can go back and fix your embarrassing gaffs.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 am

JO 753 wrote:You see, the hide feature givez readerz here the choice, az well az a warning. That way, everybody who iz up to date can converse and ponder wile thoze that arent can safely read with out running into a detail they havent seen yet.

There iz also an edit feature, so you can go back and fix your embarrassing gaffs.
LOL... do you mean "one's" embarrassing gaffes, or MY embarrassing gaffes?
At any rate, if people..as in humans.. recognized all their gaffes, or were immediately embarrassed by the worst of them, then the species we call our own would be a different species altogether.

NMB
Skepticism:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:12 pm

I mean yours.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:38 pm

I haven't seen any spoilers, here.

I'm almost to the end, I think I have two episodes left. Maybe I'll get to them tonight.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:44 am

Jesus! Goddammit! On the toilet???? {!#%@} these guys...

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:35 pm

A cool interview with Bryan Cranston ( Walter White ) on WTF. A repeat that's about a year old, but I hadn't heard it. http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/ ... n_cranston" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you aren't familiar with Marc Maron's podcast, it could be offensive to those with more delicate sensibilities. But, he's an excellent interviewer, and one of my favorite podcasts.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:19 pm

nmblum wrote:(presumably Luther suffered from constipation.. which may actually explain Protestantism). .
NMB
Very observant, Norma, here's some supporting evidence:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm

vanderpoel wrote:
nmblum wrote:(presumably Luther suffered from constipation.. which may actually explain Protestantism). .
NMB
Very observant, Norma, here's some supporting evidence:
Hi... missed ya... and for a reason.
However not necessarily observant... in the sixties the psychoanalytical interpretation of history was becoming popular and I was alerted to the clue to an affinity between Protestantism and a rather stolid, grunting personality (Jews were already well-know to have cornered the market on heartburn.) by an anecdote about Luther and his problem in "Love Against Death:An Psychoanalytic View of History" by Norman O. Brown.
Of course I pursued it... certainly it appealed to my already suspicious view of the roots of religious dogma..... although I had never gone so far in my ruminating as to attribute Luther's to the shits... or lack of them.
However, I was in Germany at the time, specifically the Northern, preponderantly Lutheran part, and on a moment to moment basis, as well as after (and during) many conversations about and around the subject, I did have to acknowledge that it did make more than a little sense.....
BUT I also discovered at the same time that Tristan Heydrich, arguably the high Nazi official responsible for the design and implementation of "the Final Solution" shared a fanatical passion for the same piece of music.
He never went anywhere without his recording, and either for many years did I.
So while I do actually give credence to the influence of the highly personal in what seems like the impersonal of history, of world affairs, it is tempered by that bit of information...... and what it MIGHT mean.

NMB
P.S.
Any pictures of Heydrich?
Skepticism: