Arguing against religion

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29589
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Angel wrote:Why is the serpent called Lucifer and the mother of all people in evolution called Lucy?
Matthew Ellard wrote:1) The serpent in the old Hebrew testament was not called "Lucifer" but rather חִוְיָא
2) Lucy was a modern scientist's nickname for one female fossil example of Australopithecus afarensis
Angel wrote:Not anymore.
Neither Hebrew or Latin has magically changed Angel. You are having another delusional episode about your "God".

Angel wrote: Are you a child of the new rainbow? A follower of the new swastica ?
These two sentences are incoherent. Get a friend to help write your next post, in normal English

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:59 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Angel wrote:Why is the serpent called Lucifer and the mother of all people in evolution called Lucy?
Matthew Ellard wrote:1) The serpent in the old Hebrew testament was not called "Lucifer" but rather חִוְיָא
2) Lucy was a modern scientist's nickname for one female fossil example of Australopithecus afarensis
Angel wrote:Not anymore.
Neither Hebrew or Latin has magically changed Angel. You are having another delusional episode about your "God".

Angel wrote: Are you a child of the new rainbow? A follower of the new swastica ?
These two sentences are incoherent. Get a friend to help write your next post, in normal English
You are no longer worth my effort.
Are you proud of yourselves yet?
Being the big bully's that you are.
So you can break my heart. Big Deal.
May you all rest in my peace <3
Has A Nice Day :lol: <3

Ps ~ if you know who I am then why do you treat us so?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29589
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:12 am

Angel wrote: You are no longer worth my effort.
What effort? You are simply trolling remember? You don't answer direct questions, but simply post repetitive religious propaganda about your "God".

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am

Azania wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:15 pm
God is just a three letter word, an idea in your mind an arbitrary notion. You can give it any meaning you like, it will be both right and wrong for the simple reason there will always be those who are for him and those who are against him.
And (yes I started with AND lol) LIFE is just a 4 letter word. Point being ~ you give.
You give meaning because of what you were taught vs what you know. What do you know? LoL

Ps~ being skeptical is a religion.
Who are you deceiving? :-P
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.biblega ... erface=amp
Are you proud of yourselves yet?
Being the big bully's that you are.
So you can break my heart. Big Deal.
May you all rest in my peace <3
Has A Nice Day :lol: <3

Ps ~ if you know who I am then why do you treat us so?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Angel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:17 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:25 am
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...SAY something.
I'm shy... :cry:
Spoiler:
LoL
Burnt toast Dr Penfeild ~ I eat burnt toast lol
Are you proud of yourselves yet?
Being the big bully's that you are.
So you can break my heart. Big Deal.
May you all rest in my peace <3
Has A Nice Day :lol: <3

Ps ~ if you know who I am then why do you treat us so?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 15596
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Eggs: that made me laugh. Thanks.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 33816
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Angel wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am
Ps~ being skeptical is a religion.
Don't be stupid. Every time someone dilutes the meaning of the word "religion" that way, it just makes their argument sound even more pathetic than it already was.

Skepticism is a religion.
Atheism is a religion.
Beans are a religion.

Great, now "religion" has no meaning any longer. I guess that means Christianity is over now, right?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Aztexan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:19 pm

May the almighty Fava bless you and keep you. Peas be with you.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Angel wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am
Ps~ being skeptical is a religion.
Sorry, I can't agree there. Religion involves taking the shortcut of believing things based on faith, when other methods of verification are available.
Other disciplines minimize the amount of faith required, and therefore don't qualify as religions in my opinion.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Angel wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am
Ps~ being skeptical is a religion.
Sorry, I can't agree there. Religion involves taking the shortcut of believing things based on faith, when other methods of verification are available.
Other disciplines minimize the amount of faith required, and therefore don't qualify as religions in my opinion.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 15596
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Gord wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:24 pm
Angel wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am
Ps~ being skeptical is a religion.
Don't be stupid. Every time someone dilutes the meaning of the word "religion" that way, it just makes their argument sound even more pathetic than it already was.

Skepticism is a religion.
Atheism is a religion.
Beans are a religion.

Great, now "religion" has no meaning any longer. I guess that means Christianity is over now, right?
Totally correct. My favorite: "Science is a Religion.".......Its almost like they don't understand what religion "is.".......or quoting Shakespeare or a fortune cookie as from the Bible. Great Minds at work.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Aztexan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:38 pm

"Yer {!#%@} A dern tootin there, good buddy"-- Queen Victoria c.1892
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 33816
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Gord » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:22 pm
Gord wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:24 pm
Angel wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am
Ps~ being skeptical is a religion.
Don't be stupid. Every time someone dilutes the meaning of the word "religion" that way, it just makes their argument sound even more pathetic than it already was.

Skepticism is a religion.
Atheism is a religion.
Beans are a religion.

Great, now "religion" has no meaning any longer. I guess that means Christianity is over now, right?
Totally correct. My favorite: "Science is a Religion.".......Its almost like they don't understand what religion "is.".......or quoting Shakespeare or a fortune cookie as from the Bible. Great Minds at work.
My current favourite is "Stranger Things, Season 2, Episode 5, 35:08".

I believe the quote goes like this: https://youtu.be/9Zey_KzDhQQ?t=6
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29589
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 am

Angel wrote: being skeptical is a religion.
No. Skepticism is a range of critical thinking tools that allows a person to judge the veracity of a claim being made.

In contrast, you have rampant schizophrenia where you, for the last three years, have written incoherent poems about god in random threads, on a skeptic forum for no reason whatsoever. Every now and then you get totally confused, have a severe schizophrenic episode and think we know your brother.

See a doctor.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Arguing against religion

Post by landrew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 am
Angel wrote: being skeptical is a religion.
No. Skepticism is a range of critical thinking tools that allows a person to judge the veracity of a claim being made.
And science is the tool for weighing the evidence that is used to determine the weight of the claim or assertion.
Skepticism can sometimes lead to drama. The researchers who uncovered the bacteria responsible for ulcers were ridiculed mercilessly. One of the team purportedly had a nervous breakdown. Some argue that this was a reasonable amount of scientific skepticism being applied, until the theory could be fully supported by evidence.
Fortunately, further research verified their claims, and we now have medical remedies for something that was previously thought to have no cure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Marshall
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.