Michigan Dogman

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Michigan Dogman

Post by idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:00 am

I've heard that this video of the Michigan Dogman/werewolf is somewhat dated:
http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ogman.html

Linda Godfrey finds it interesting. I don't - in a scientific sense. The pictures look like a mask. I don't know what the video shows and I don't know much about the history. I think the story of the Beast of Bray Road/American werewolf is great - very gothic and scary - but profoundly implausible.

Thoughts?

DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Re: Michigan Dogman

Post by DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:00 am

I find it to be a nice creepy story - but what's the provenance for the film?

If I remember correctly it came out at the same time as some work was being done to promote a "dogman song" and I wondered if it were part of a film project looking for funding.

Bottom line the dog in the film looks close enough to the amount of physiological variance one would expect to see in Chows that I didn't find it remarkable. The end footage with a face biting at the camera was a little too "Blair Witch" for my plausibility-detector.

I remember this being covered (credulously) on Mysterious Universe #77.
http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podshows/1881053

Sadly (or not) that show flamed out in a big way. I enjoyed the show as an easier way to keep an eye on the crypto world than my "normal" routine - reading cryptomundo and listening to Coast-to-Coast. A lot of people were very angry with Mr. Grundy at least on the podcast boards...

Anyway - Chows and masks make more sense to me than werewolves. Although if I had to be turned into a monster I'd pick Werewolves over just about any other monster.

idoubtit
Poster

Post by idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:01 am

Why do Chows get blamed for everything?

I don't particularly like Chows - I had to groom one once and it was AWFULLotofhaireverywhere. :P

I suppose it could have been a dog glammed up to look different. You call him, he comes running at you. Edit in the chompy spot for effect at the end.

My favorite story re said beast is from Wisconsin but close enough:

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Wis. -- What's 7 feet tall, hairy and roams the local woods after midnight?

At about 1 a.m. Thursday, Steve Krueger was out doing his job. He contracts with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources to remove dead dear from roadsides. He had just put a carcass in the back of his truck and climbed into his cab when something strange happened.

"I felt the truck shake. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a large, black furry figure reaching into the back of the truck. At that point and time, I threw the truck into drive and gunned it, because it scared the dickens out of me," Krueger said.

Krueger told Miller has was not drinking on the job. He has seen black bears before, and whatever he saw had much longer, pointy ears.

I told that one to my kids...

MonsterTalkAdmin

Post by MonsterTalkAdmin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 am

I think I heard that story repackaged for MonsterQuest as a Bigfoot story??? Maybe in the most recent episode? My encyclopedic knowledge of the show is failing me at the moment. :wink: But I think that may be accurate.

Jedischooldropout

Post by Jedischooldropout » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 am

Apropos of nothing in the discussion...

It amuses me to be on a forum so fresh that even the admins are labelled as 'newbies.'

MonsterTalkAdmin

Post by MonsterTalkAdmin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 am

Yes. That is funny. Hopefully Karen and Ben will get on here too when we get a little more population going...

Poor old me. No respect - even from the forum software.

idoubtit
Poster

Post by idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 am

More on the Gable film. This melodramatic stuff REALLY smacks of a hoax or some kind of promotion. I am SOOOOooo not prone to buy into conspiracy stuff but lots of people do. I half expect this will make its rounds and interest will increase.
http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/blog/bigfo ... -thickens/

DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Post by DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:03 am

Being a "mystery" fan from way back I saw all those caps and "the code" in the message. I'm surprised the DNR let that message get out. ;)

Most conspiracy theories are implausible for lots of good reasons.

This has all the makings of a hoax-for-profit. When the original story broke there was a Dogman "folk" song at the same time. I thought that was a bit odd - and by "odd" I mean suspiciously commercial.

When these kinds of stories come out where someone finds a film or it is delivered to them it destroys one of the most important pieces of the evidence chain - and we have no provenance. No provenance doesn't mean evidence is worthless sometimes, but in films and photographs - where the weight of the evidence is already in question - that's a serious knock against credibility.

idoubtit
Poster

Post by idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:03 am

There are several connections made between the song and story.

Here is where I think the CZ community really shows its true age (about 14 years). Too many take stories like this hook, line and sinker.