My composing dream

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Matt MVS7 trolling thread

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:48 am

Omniverse wrote: Even if I do become a fully educated composer,
We've been through this with you already. You don't even know how to program drums yet. Go away and learn how to do that before posting again. :lol: :lol:

FL Studio Drum programming tool.
FL Snare.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 am

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV78 AKA Kamil wrote: Music Sheet (with key signature specified):
MattMSV7 sheet music.JPG
I see. So tell us. What key did your music software automatically transcribe this music into? ( I already know as I read music) :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omniverse
Poster

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:52 pm

I've revised my Distant Future tune. This tune is supposed to convey something bizarre and mysterious such as being all alone in a far away, distant time period or galaxy. It, to me, conveys powerful, deep meaning and is very catchy. I'm not sure what others would think of it though. I think it could very well be my best tune. Again, you just hear the beat at first and then you hear the melody along with the beat. So, listen to all of it:

Youtube Link:

Soundcloud Link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-432115982/d ... nalversion

Music Sheet:

https://ibb.co/F37vyVK

I think this melody is great and has a lot of power and meaning to it. At this stage of development though, said power, greatness, and meaning might not be conveyed to the audience. Thus, they might see the tune as meaningless rubbish. It might really be necessary then that I fully craft this melody by adding chords, harmony, etc. so that the audience will realize the power and greatness this melody has.

Only I can see the power and greatness this melody has and other people might not see that because I'm the one who created this melody which means only I know its power. I would need to somehow bring that greatness alive to the audience. Now, if I were to fully craft this melody and people still tell me it's rubbish, then there are 2 possibilities.

The 1st would be that my melodies obviously don't convey what I described at all. They really were nothing great and I was fooling myself all along into believing they were great. But the 2nd possibility would be that they are great, do convey what I describe, and people can't see that due to their high standards. If, for example, I fully craft my Distant Future tune, then there's power, greatness, and meaning staring these people right in front of their faces and they can't even see it.

They lack appreciation and that's what blinds them. They expect too much when it comes to artwork. There's a big difference between how complex an artwork is and the power, meaning, and greatness conveyed by an artwork. Just because my fully crafted Distant Future melody isn't a more complicated melody, is predictable, and repeats, doesn't mean it's a rubbish melody that conveys no meaning.

I think people are having too high of a standard and that blinds them to the power and greatness of artwork. Even simple art forms such as the drawing of a beautiful rose can convey power and meaning. It doesn't have to be a rose with complex detail for it to be something great.

My point is, a work of art can qualify as something great, powerful, and meaningful even when it's not the complex work of an artistic mastermind. Lastly, my dream is to be a composer and I want to create music that's actually good and conveys what I want to convey and not just music that I think is good and conveys what I describe.

To conclude this post, I'd like to share one last melody which is a gentle, caring tune. It's very memorable and catchy. It might not be anything great or memorable at this stage of development though. Or maybe it will. I really don't know which is why I'm sharing my melodies. Again, you hear the beat of this gentle tune and then the melody along with the beat:

Youtube Link:

Soundcloud Link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-432115982/g ... nalversion

Music Sheet:

https://ibb.co/3yx9mt9

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 pm

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Kamil wrote: I've revised my Distant Future tune.
That was absolutely terrible. Secondly, you still don't know how to program drums on FL Studio.

Go away until you learn how to program drums on FL Studio.
FL Snare.jpg

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:15 am

Now, here's a very beautiful, catchy, memorable tune. It sounds like something you'd hear during a wedding. I add lyrics to this. Sure, they might not be great lyrics. But I think the melody itself is great. The lyrics are on the music sheet. I add lyrics to convey what each part of the melody expresses. The fact I know what each part of the melody expresses means I have a vision of this melody which means I know how I'm supposed to fully craft the melody.

As I said before, my melodies aren't fully crafted. I'm going to explain to you now what each part expresses. The first part is a statement where it goes "Bum bum bum this is love. Bum bum bum we are one." The second part builds up in tension since it's about to finish off. It's an incomplete sentence which is: "Don't you see that..."

Then it finishes off with an exclamatory question which would be "You are in my dreams?!" Lastly, this tune starts on a C chord, ends on a C chord, and is in the key of C major. I also reverse this melody and it, to me, conveys something even more beautiful. It conveys a deeper, beautiful meaning. I love the reversed version better than the forward version.

Here's the wedding tune:

Youtube Link:

Soundcloud Link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-432115982/b ... eddingtune

Music Sheet:

https://ibb.co/qdvySjG

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:09 am

Jesus Christ.... Did you beat a piano to death with a rubber mallet or something?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

They ALL sound like character themes from Zelda. Can you do something a little less ... errrmmm ... childish?

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Gord wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:09 am
Jesus Christ.... Did you beat a piano to death with a rubber mallet or something?
I could be wrong, but I personally think that tune I just made is just as great and catchy as any one of those short, nursery rhyme tunes you hear. I think it even ranks up there with the Frosted Flakes tune which has the lyrics:

"Frosted Flakes are more than good. They're great!"

However, since my tune isn't a fully crafted tune with all the harmony, beat, etc., then the greatness, power, and meaning of this melody won't be successfully conveyed to the audience. Thus, they'll be blind to said greatness and ridicule my tune. My point is, I think I must fully craft this tune so that its greatness becomes realized. So, when you listen to my melody as it is now, it will be a meaningless tune. It would be like listening to a child pluck out random keys on the keyboard. The lyrics I've added to it certainly convey meaning even though they're not the best lyrics in the world. But the melody itself won't convey any power and meaning at this stage of development.
Poodle wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am
They ALL sound like character themes from Zelda. Can you do something a little less ... errrmmm ... childish?
Yes, I could. But, for now, I was just making short tunes that I think rank up there with famous ones such as those simple, short nursery rhyme tunes you hear or the Frosted Flakes tune. As I mentioned above in this post, I must fully craft this tune so that its greatness becomes realized.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 pm

You must stop taking the piss and get back to what you do best.

(There's a feed line if ever there was one).

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Omniverse AKA MattMSV AKA Kamil wrote:.......'my melodies aren't fully crafted.
It has been five years and you still don't know how to add drums. You are obviously retarded and have no talent. :lol:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 am

Omniverse wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm
Gord wrote:
I could be wrong, but I personally think that tune I just made is just as great and catchy as any one of those short, nursery rhyme tunes you hear. I think it even ranks up there with the Frosted Flakes tune which has the lyrics:

I'm just going to say "you're wrong, you were wrong before, you're probably going to just keep being wrong forever unless you get some professional help" because it's easier than explainorating anything further.
However, since my tune isn't a fully crafted tune with all the harmony, beat, etc., then the greatness, power, and meaning of this melody won't be successfully conveyed to the audience. Thus, they'll be blind to said greatness and ridicule my tune. My point is, I think I must fully craft this tune so that its greatness becomes realized. So, when you listen to my melody as it is now, it will be a meaningless tune. It would be like listening to a child pluck out random keys on the keyboard. The lyrics I've added to it certainly convey meaning even though they're not the best lyrics in the world. But the melody itself won't convey any power and meaning at this stage of development.
Your tune sounded like someone was punching a keyboard as hard as they could to get the notes to come out really really bigly. Please don't "improve" it by yelling words at it too.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Gord wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 am
Omniverse wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm
Gord wrote:

I'm just going to say "you're wrong, you were wrong before, you're probably going to just keep being wrong forever unless you get some professional help" because it's easier than explainorating anything further.
Your tune sounded like someone was punching a keyboard as hard as they could to get the notes to come out really really bigly. Please don't "improve" it by yelling words at it too.
Let's assume for a moment that this tune will still be awful even when fully crafted. How am I supposed to create music that conveys the emotion, meaning, and scenes I want to convey? I don't want to be creating rubbish that I just think is great and conveys what I describe. The thing is, I don't know the truth as to whether my my melodies are great and will convey the scenes I describe once they're fully crafted. All I have is my own personal judgments to go by. I can only judge my tunes based upon what I personally think they are and I have no way of knowing if my assessments are right or not.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:09 pm

So what you're saying is that you're not a musician or even a learner. Take up stamp-collecting - it's quieter.

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Poodle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:09 pm
So what you're saying is that you're not a musician or even a learner. Take up stamp-collecting - it's quieter.
I'd actually like to say another thing here. I've been learning music theory lessons on youtube and I've watched some videos so far. However, these music lessons cover technical aspects regarding music such as scales, chords, key signatures, the circle of 5ths, etc. But, these lessons do not tell you how to create music that conveys the meaning and scenes you want to convey. Sure, they might explain to you that, if you want to create a melody or song that conveys a happy feeling, to put it in a major scale.

But, how would you create a happy tune that expresses someone having fun on a sunny day as opposed to a happy tune that expresses someone coming along and showing kindess? You see, there's more to creating music than just having the happiness and sorrow (i.e. the major and minor scales). You must choose the proper notes and rests for your melodies as well. For example, the Super Mario theme song is in the key of C major since it's a cheerful theme.

But, how did the creator of the theme (Koji Kondo) know what notes and rests to choose for the theme so that it conveys what he wanted it to convey? I admit, it's a catchy theme and it's his choice of notes and rests that made it so great and catchy. I know I said earlier that we can naturally create such great, catchy tunes and themes in our heads. But, just in case my tunes really are rubbish even when they're fully crafted, then I need to know how to choose a series of notes and rests to convey what I want to convey and to make my melodies great.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:45 pm

By living, you nutbag. You don't 'learn' art - you learn technique. After that you become an artist or you become a hack, depending upon your mindset, your honesty, and your talent. Where do you see your strong points amongst those?

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Poodle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:45 pm
By living, you nutbag. You don't 'learn' art - you learn technique. After that you become an artist or you become a hack, depending upon your mindset, your honesty, and your talent. Where do you see your strong points amongst those?
So, to create the music that conveys what I want to convey after learning the techniques, I just live life? I don't understand how that would help me. How's that any advice? As for your question, the mindset I have is one that channels profound and powerful emotion to create, what I think are, awesome melodies and themes that the world has yet to realize are awesome. I must fully craft said music so that its greatness becomes realized.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Omniverse wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm
... I just live life? I don't understand how that would help me ...
And right there is your problem.

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Poodle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:23 pm
Omniverse wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm
... I just live life? I don't understand how that would help me ...
And right there is your problem.
You see, if I learned the techniques of how to paint, then it would be quite obvious to me what I'm supposed to paint in order to convey the meaning and emotion I want to convey. But, when it comes to making music, I'd have no idea what series of notes and rests I'm supposed to choose to convey what I want to convey. It wouldn't be obvious to me. I'd just be choosing a series of notes and rests I think conveys the power and meaning I describe when it really doesn't. Hopefully though, I am choosing a series of notes and rests in my mind that make my melodies great and convey what I describe.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:49 pm

I have good reason to believe that, when it comes to any of the arts, you have no idea what you're burbling about.

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Poodle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:49 pm
I have good reason to believe that, when it comes to any of the arts, you have no idea what you're burbling about.
I'd know that, for example, if I wanted to convey something mystical, I'd paint some fairies, rainbows, glitter, etc. But, if I wanted to choose a series of notes and rests that conveyed something mystical, I wouldn't know what to choose.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Omniverse wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 pm
...How am I supposed to create music that conveys the emotion, meaning, and scenes I want to convey? I don't want to be creating rubbish that I just think is great and conveys what I describe....
Take music lessons.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am

Gord wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:46 pm
Omniverse wrote:
...How am I supposed to create music that conveys the emotion, meaning, and scenes I want to convey? I don't want to be creating rubbish that I just think is great and conveys what I describe....
Take music lessons.
I did address this already and this is what I said earlier:
I'd actually like to say another thing here. I've been learning music theory lessons on youtube and I've watched some videos so far. However, these music lessons cover technical aspects regarding music such as scales, chords, key signatures, the circle of 5ths, etc. But, these lessons do not tell you how to create music that conveys the meaning and scenes you want to convey. Sure, they might explain to you that, if you want to create a melody or song that conveys a happy feeling, to put it in a major scale.

But, how would you create a happy tune that expresses someone having fun on a sunny day as opposed to a happy tune that expresses someone coming along and showing kindness? You see, there's more to creating music than just having the happiness and sorrow (i.e. the major and minor scales). You must choose the proper notes and rests for your melodies as well. For example, the Super Mario theme song is in the key of C major since it's a cheerful theme.

But, how did the creator of the theme (Koji Kondo) know what notes and rests to choose for the theme so that it conveys what he wanted it to convey? I admit, it's a catchy theme and it's his choice of notes and rests that made it so great and catchy. I know I said earlier that we can naturally create such great, catchy tunes and themes in our heads. But, just in case my tunes really are rubbish even when they're fully crafted, then I need to know how to choose a series of notes and rests to convey what I want to convey and to make my melodies great.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:30 am

Omniverse AKA MattMSV7 AKA Kamil wrote: I've been learning music theory lessons on youtube
No you haven't.
Omniverse AKA MattMSV7 AKA Kamil wrote: However, these music lessons cover technical aspects regarding music such as scales, chords, key signatures, the circle of 5ths, etc.
You can't play any musical instrument, so you can't apply any of this music theory, anyway.

Name one song, by someone else, you can play from start to finish on keyboards. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:42 am

Omniverse wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am
Gord wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:46 pm
Omniverse wrote:
Take music lessons.
I did address this already and this is what I said earlier:
I'd actually like to say another thing here. I've been learning music theory lessons on youtube and I've watched some videos so far.
Stop wasting your time and take actual lessons. Find a course, or a teacher, or someone who has composed music before even if it was just for the guitar. A private teacher would be best, a course with an actual teacher would be second-best, and some hobo with all his strings still attached would be third.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 am

I'm one of those hobos. The answer's still no.

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Poodle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:45 pm
I'm going to go back to what you said here. What exactly is it I'm supposed to be learning and experiencing besides learning music lessons on youtube? Furthermore, how's this supposed to help me create the music that conveys the emotion/scenes I want to convey?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm

The melody you shared doesn't flow at all. It's just a series of the same chord moving up and down the scale at random with each note being held for a random length of time.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm
The melody you shared doesn't flow at all. It's just a series of the same chord moving up and down the scale at random with each note being held for a random length of time.
When creating a melody, you can choose any series of notes and rests you want as long as said notes/rests adhere to the rules of music theory. For example, one of the rules is having the proper amount of notes in a bar. So, the notes and rests I've chosen aren't random. It's just what I've chosen.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Dashing through the snow,
In an Awesome snowmobile,
Through the fields we go,
Jesus take the wheel,

Bells on handlebars ring,
Making spirits bright,

That's as far as I've gotten composing my Christmas carol dream.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:52 pm

You can have as many (within the bounds of human ability) or as few (including zero) notes in a bar as you like. It's the timing that's important.
Also, you really need to learn the concept of a key. You also need to be able to play your chosen instrument(s), whether acoustic or electric, real or virtual. You have years of hard study and practice in front of you, I don't believe you have it in you.

Omniverse
Poster

Post by Omniverse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Poodle wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:52 pm
You can have as many (within the bounds of human ability) or as few (including zero) notes in a bar as you like. It's the timing that's important.
Also, you really need to learn the concept of a key. You also need to be able to play your chosen instrument(s), whether acoustic or electric, real or virtual. You have years of hard study and practice in front of you, I don't believe you have it in you.
I don't want to play any instrument. I just want to create music in my mind that conveys what I want to convey and, from there, translating the notes in my head onto a musical notation software and going from there.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:01 am

Omniverse wrote: When creating a melody, you can choose any series of notes and rests you want as long as said notes/rests adhere to the rules of music theory.

You are an idiot. You are talking to people who already know music theory and can read music.

You are just pushing the "transcribe" button on your sequencer's software package. It is creating the sheet music's key signature for you. In reality you haven't got a clue what key your music is in. I can tell by looking at your accidentals and the key signature. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 am

Omniverse AKA MattMSV7 AKA Kamil wrote:I don't want to play any instrument.
Mission Accomplished.jpg
Yep. It is clear that you can't play any musical instrument at all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:08 am

Omniverse wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:23 pm
I just want to create music in my mind that conveys what I want to convey and, from there, translating the notes in my head onto a musical notation software and going from there.
You've already tried that, and it didn't work. Maybe it's untranslatable. Or maybe as, just like with most people, your music is only great while it's in your own head.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?