My composing dream

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: My composing dream

Post by Aztexan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:52 pm

trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5514
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit

Re: My composing dream

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Omniverse wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:24 am
Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Kamil is banned from many many many forums. Here's why.
Matt MSV7 wrote:Everyone must always be cool to me. In other words, I must always get a good vibe from them. If they show a bad attitude towards me and show scorn and/or detest towards me, then they die. I don't care who they are and I don't care what situation it is. Even if it is a situation that others would deem as very minor such as getting in an argument with someone. As long as they give off a loathsome bad vibe to me through their display of scorn, frown, and detest towards me, then they all die by my hands. The fact is, I do not put up with any problems. So not only must people always be cool to me, but this life itself must always be cool to me as well and not give me any problems. Otherwise, that will make me psychotically enraged. If my own brain gives me problems of depression and anhedonia (absence of all my pleasant feelings/emotions), then I die. I will become ruthless, fierce, and take my own life right then and there just as how I would also become ruthless and fierce towards other people who give me problems. But the moment this life and people no longer give me problems is the moment that everything returns back to normal. Everything would all immediately return back to a normal good vibe to me once again.
http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index ... ent-877173
I'm only violent and aggressive during moments I feel that way. I only feel this way when I have emotional traumas or miserable moments. When I'm apathetic or happy, I'm not violent and it would be very difficult to provoke me.
Are you admitting to writing that under the pseudonym Matt MSV7?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Poodle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:36 am
Those melodies of yours have NO power and meaning.
Will there be other musicians debating against you on that? If so, then we don't know the real truth yet. I bet there will be other professional musicians and composers out there who might say something along the lines of:

"Give this man a chance! He could have something great here and all of you are being dicks! I would love to see this melody in its fully crafted form to see if this man's claims of greatness were true or not!"

Given this, I see every reason to keep an open mind. I could have something great in my head as I say. But, then again, it could be garbage.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: My composing dream

Post by Aztexan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Ok Poodle, I'll take you.
First, my credentials. While I am not a professional musician, I have been playing guitar for 35 years. I played in high school band and was personally asked by our band director to join the jazz band. I can read and write music. I can play pretty much any instrument except the saxophone and the woodwind family. My piano skills leave a lot to be desired. I can listen to a song on the radio and play it back. My brother loves to tell the story of when we were kids, we went to a book store and I was reading a music magazine that had the sheet music for a song I liked. I didn't have any money and my brother asked if I wanted him to buy it for me. I told him, no thanks, memorized it and went home and played it. I've been around music all my life.
Now, we debate.
My contention is, Poodle...well, you're right.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10792
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: My composing dream

Post by Poodle » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:39 pm

Omniverse DOES have his music around the net, AZ - mainly on the Zelda site which is populated by teenage game players. He doesn't impress them much, either. Your CV is Einstein versus Omniverse's Daffy Duck.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Here's the thing though. I can give an accurate assessment of any given song. For example, if someone were to present to me a song or tune by Michael Jackson, I'd be able to describe the power, personality, and emotion it conveys. So, why I can't I give an accurate assessment of music I create in my head? I conclude that, since I can give an accurate assessment in regards to other tunes and songs, that my assessment of these melodies in my mind is also an accurate assessment.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: My composing dream

Post by Aztexan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:26 pm

I can appreciate Michelangelo's art but I could never paint the Sistine Chapel, dude.
trump is Putin's bitch

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:38 pm

Aztexan wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:26 pm
I can appreciate Michelangelo's art but I could never paint the Sistine Chapel, dude.
Our brains are naturally capable of creating amazing works of art in our head and you don't have to be someone who's a professional. You can be a complete novice. For example, ordinary people who have dreams or go on drug trips report witnessing amazing works of art they've never witnessed before. They witness beautiful landscapes and hear beautiful music they've never witnessed and heard before. But how do our brains create amazing works of art on their own? Well, I think it's like learning the English language. Your brain picks it up and you learn to speak English yourself naturally.

Likewise, when you listen to music your whole life, your brain naturally picks up on that which means your brain is capable of creating amazing music in your mind. There's a software known as Rosetta Stone where people sit there, listen to new languages, and learn to speak them naturally. I think the same idea applies to other things as well such as music, visual art, etc. However, learning to speak a language is different because you can automatically convey any message you want to convey while it requires actual knowledge and training to convey the music and visual art you create in your mind.

User avatar
Io
Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Io » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:14 pm

Don't ham it up. Your imagination exceeds your ability, that's all. Like the songs says, get better or get stuffed.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 pm

I have another thing to say. That Darkest Tune I made is supposed to be the chorus part of a song. There can be simple, powerful things being played in the chorus of a song and it does repeat. But I need much more to make my tune a chorus. Now, I could create a whole entire song or I could just fully craft the chorus, share that, and leave it at that because it should still be something awesome and powerful on its own even without the context of an entire song. Like I said. Short tunes can still be something awesome and powerful.

User avatar
Io
Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Io » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 am

I know you think they should stand on their own, but they don't and your failure to accept it isn't going to change that.

A good part of what makes a great piece of music is the same as what makes a good bit of comedy. It's about the setup and punchline. You need to set up the expectation of where the piece is going and then subtly deviate in an enjoyable but unexpected way. In music you can do this through tune or tone or texture, etc, or a combination. Then keep doing it. Most people who do that well do it without even realising that's what they're doing. It just comes naturally - it's called talent.

Your, er, 'tunes' are overly simplistic and either too predictable or discordantly unpredictable. There's either nothing to surprise or nothing to latch on to. And that synth is hideous. The fact that you think they should be, or are, powerful and deep doesn't change the fact that they're not.

How about using several of your ideas and working them into a single piece? Use one as a melody, one as a bass line, one as a chorus, one as verses, one as a bridge. For example. Just work what you have into something decent. Hone your *ahem* ...talent.

As long as it takes a long time.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:20 am

Io wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 am
I know you think they should stand on their own, but they don't and your failure to accept it isn't going to change that.

A good part of what makes a great piece of music is the same as what makes a good bit of comedy. It's about the setup and punchline. You need to set up the expectation of where the piece is going and then subtly deviate in an enjoyable but unexpected way. In music you can do this through tune or tone or texture, etc, or a combination. Then keep doing it. Most people who do that well do it without even realising that's what they're doing. It just comes naturally - it's called talent.

Your, er, 'tunes' are overly simplistic and either too predictable or discordantly unpredictable. There's either nothing to surprise or nothing to latch on to. And that synth is hideous. The fact that you think they should be, or are, powerful and deep doesn't change the fact that they're not.

How about using several of your ideas and working them into a single piece? Use one as a melody, one as a bass line, one as a chorus, one as verses, one as a bridge. For example. Just work what you have into something decent. Hone your *ahem* ...talent.

As long as it takes a long time.
Yes, but how are my melodies overly simplistic? If I came up with a melody which had the notes C, D, E, F, and G going up, then that would be a very basic, simple melody. That melody wouldn't be anything great. But my melodies are more sophisticated than that. I don't think they're standard, generic melodies like the example I've just given. I think they're great and do convey the emotion I describe. It's not just a more sophisticated choice of notes I made.

I think my choice of notes and rests do convey the power and scenes I describe. My melodies might be too predictable as you say. But aren't there melodies out there that call for such predictability? Also, I do realize my melodies are lacking in many things to make them crafted and I do agree with the advice other people give me to help make them fully crafted. But I just don't agree they're generic melodies that convey nothing. Surely, they must convey the power and emotion I describe once they're fully crafted.
Last edited by Omniverse on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:32 am

Aztexan wrote: I did not know that this guy posts things like that. I really thought he was genuinely asking for help.
Matt MSV7 was mostly trolling children's video game forums, specifically Zelda. That is where we get the "I always wanted to to be a video composer" trolling theme from. He rotates through different trolling themes which generally end up with "If you don't cure me I will commit suicide". He is about 35 years old and there is nothing wrong with him other than being a troll.

Generally Matt MSV7 copies the exact same post on several forums at once. That way he can go back and see who "is biting". As he was banned from many many forums he started using many sock puppet names. That's how I know all his sockpuppet names as the exact same post will appear on different forums under different names. Currently on our forum he uses Matt MVS7, Omniverse and Kamil.

Here is his other trolling theme talking about his "poo"
:lol:
Matt MVS7 wrote:This obsessive thought has disabled my functioning in life. It has turned off the functions of my brain that allow me to be fully functional in life. It has also turned off a certain faculty. It has turned off my ability to push in order to get a bowel movement out. I try to push to get it out, but I am barely able to push at all. My mind would have to be fully comfortable, relaxed, and not worried about anything at all in order to get the bowel movement out. I am not constipated at all. The bowel is soft. But I am unable to push to get it out. There is no physical issue going on here. This is all a mental issue here that is preventing me from having a bowel movement. Even the urge to have a bowel movement is turned off. I think this is a dangerous situation because there is not a single moment that my mind can be relaxed and not worried in order for me to pass the bowel movement. .........
http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index ... ent-923912

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:38 am

Io wrote: Don't ham it up.
Omniverse AKA Matt MVS7 loaded up this You-tube video of himself singing his own composition "I am a tree". In 2016, Matt MVS7 claimed this was a fantastic song and showed his skill in composing songs and displaying emotion........ in his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KrT8TNVj0s

Matt MSV7 then deleted the video, however a small group of Zelda forum members saved his videos and re posted them to try stop him trolling. :D

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 am

Omniverse AKA Matt MVS7 AKA Kamil wrote: I have another thing to say. That Darkest Tune I made is supposed to be the chorus part of a song. There can be simple, powerful things being played in the chorus of a song and it does repeat.
Yep. Here is that song being sung by Matt MVS7 on You tube that the Zelda forums members kept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4yQPw ... 2&index=18

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: My composing dream

Post by Aztexan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:52 am

Wow that last link is hilarious.
Pum pum pum pum puuummm pum pumpumpum puuuuum
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Io
Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Io » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:36 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 am
Omniverse AKA Matt MVS7 AKA Kamil wrote: I have another thing to say. That Darkest Tune I made is supposed to be the chorus part of a song. There can be simple, powerful things being played in the chorus of a song and it does repeat.
Yep. Here is that song being sung by Matt MVS7 on You tube that the Zelda forums members kept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4yQPw ... 2&index=18
Good god. :budo:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 am

Just for the record, Matt MVS7 made the opening post to this thread, in August 1018 and posted his best "compositions". However if you click the first "composition" on that list you will see it was loaded up on You Tube on the 28th of October 2018, two months later.

At the bottom of his opening post, is this message
"Last edited by Omniverse on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am, edited 32 times in total." It is actually the same composition as he said he recently wrote. I think I first heard it some years ago.

In essence Matt MVS7 is loading up the same you tubes over and over again.

He is simply trolling.
:lol:

User avatar
Io
Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Io » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:09 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 am
Just for the record, Matt MVS7 made the opening post to this thread, in August 1018 and posted his best "compositions". However if you click the first "composition" on that list you will see it was loaded up on You Tube on the 28th of October 2018, two months later.

At the bottom of his opening post, is this message
"Last edited by Omniverse on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am, edited 32 times in total." It is actually the same composition as he said he recently wrote. I think I first heard it some years ago.

In essence Matt MVS7 is loading up the same you tubes over and over again.

He is simply trolling.
:lol:
OMG! HE'S ETERNAL. THIS WILL NEVER STOP!!!!!

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34854
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: My composing dream

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:12 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:38 am
Io wrote: Don't ham it up.
Omniverse AKA Matt MVS7 loaded up this You-tube video of himself singing his own composition "I am a tree". In 2016, Matt MVS7 claimed this was a fantastic song and showed his skill in composing songs and displaying emotion........ in his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KrT8TNVj0s

Matt MSV7 then deleted the video, however a small group of Zelda forum members saved his videos and re posted them to try stop him trolling. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-tSrilrUI0
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Io wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:09 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 am
Just for the record, Matt MVS7 made the opening post to this thread, in August 1018 and posted his best "compositions". However if you click the first "composition" on that list you will see it was loaded up on You Tube on the 28th of October 2018, two months later.

At the bottom of his opening post, is this message
"Last edited by Omniverse on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am, edited 32 times in total." It is actually the same composition as he said he recently wrote. I think I first heard it some years ago.

In essence Matt MVS7 is loading up the same you tubes over and over again.

He is simply trolling.
:lol:
OMG! HE'S ETERNAL. THIS WILL NEVER STOP!!!!!
If you don't mind, let's continue the discussion we were having.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5514
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit

Re: My composing dream

Post by Austin Harper » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:02 pm
Omniverse wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:24 am
Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Kamil is banned from many many many forums. Here's why.
Matt MSV7 wrote:Everyone must always be cool to me. In other words, I must always get a good vibe from them. If they show a bad attitude towards me and show scorn and/or detest towards me, then they die. I don't care who they are and I don't care what situation it is. Even if it is a situation that others would deem as very minor such as getting in an argument with someone. As long as they give off a loathsome bad vibe to me through their display of scorn, frown, and detest towards me, then they all die by my hands. The fact is, I do not put up with any problems. So not only must people always be cool to me, but this life itself must always be cool to me as well and not give me any problems. Otherwise, that will make me psychotically enraged. If my own brain gives me problems of depression and anhedonia (absence of all my pleasant feelings/emotions), then I die. I will become ruthless, fierce, and take my own life right then and there just as how I would also become ruthless and fierce towards other people who give me problems. But the moment this life and people no longer give me problems is the moment that everything returns back to normal. Everything would all immediately return back to a normal good vibe to me once again.
http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index ... ent-877173
I'm only violent and aggressive during moments I feel that way. I only feel this way when I have emotional traumas or miserable moments. When I'm apathetic or happy, I'm not violent and it would be very difficult to provoke me.
Are you admitting to writing that under the pseudonym Matt MSV7?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:53 pm

This is a video of a song from Sonic the Hedgehog. It's called the Scrap Brain Zone theme. I will show you the video:

https://youtu.be/NoVY7nvcel0

You can hear the melody along with all the other musical elements that go with that melody. Now, if I just took the melody that goes from 0:04-0:17 and presented that like how I've presented my melodies, then I bet there will be people who'd say this melody is nothing great, it's crap, conveys nothing, etc. (that is, if these people have never heard the Scrap Brain Zone theme. If they've already heard it, then they'd know what it is just from me sharing the melody).

Even though the melody is simple, does repeat, and there's just a bit of variation at the end when it gets to 0:17, these people would be blind to the melody's greatness, personality, and memorable quality to claim it's garbage. But, once I share the fully crafted melody in that video to these people, I bet they'd now say it's something good and catchy. Take note that I'm not talking about the whole song here. Just that short portion that goes from 0:04-0:17.

Since these people would be blind to this melody's greatness, then they could be blind to the greatness of my melodies. Once I fully craft my melodies, then I bet people would realize they're something great, too. So, I think the melodies I've presented are great and it's simply the way I've presented them that renders people bashing them. I have to present them in their fully crafted form for their greatness to be realized.
Last edited by Omniverse on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34854
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: My composing dream

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Omniverse wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:53 pm
Now, if I just took the melody that goes from 0:04-0:17 and presented that like how I've presented my melodies, then I bet there will be people who'd say this melody is nothing great, it's crap, conveys nothing, etc.
And they'd be right.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: My composing dream

Post by Cadmusteeth » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:31 am

You do know that it doesn't mean {!#%@} to us that you get violent since we're on the other side of your screen right?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 am

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Kamil wrote: If you don't mind, let's continue the discussion we were having.
No thanks. You have been posting about your terrible compositions on this forum for four years, and they are still terrible.

It's much more fun making fun of you.
:lol: :lol:

Additionally, you don't have FL Studio. You lied to us.
Matt MSV7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: My composing dream

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 am

I don't know if I ever had any musical imagination. Under the crushing weight of my piano teacher, Mrs. Ferguson, I developed a technical ability to play that some people found impressive. On the other hand, I was never given any time just to make up my own music. The highest ideal was to play exactly what was written (but with feeling, of course). So I've never been able to improvise anything more sophisticated than a fart after a Mexican dinner. And now, at the age of 76, arthritis has robbed me of even my technical ability. So, I don't play any more. Deafness has robbed me of a lot of the pleasure of listening to music. My hearing aids (at $3000 per ear) make every instrument in the orchestra sound like a harpsichord. To get any pleasure at all out of music, I have to take them out and put on a pair of stereo earphones with the volume cranked up. That, at least, still works for me.

Lately, I've been trying to get back into opera via DVDs. I watched the first two acts of "Lohengrin" yesterday, with Placido Domingo in the central role. Last week, it was a magnificent film of "Carmen" (with Placido Domingo as Don José). The two weeks before, I watched the whole Ring cycle and was really blown away. That was the 1990 production at the Met with James Morris as Wotan and Hildegarde Behrens as Brünnhilde. Those two were simply incomparable. They can both act as well as sing, and they make you see what the gods were suffering. The farewell between them at the end of Walkürie was heart-breaking.

But I'm also realizing why I find it difficult to appreciate a lot of opera. Much of opera requires a soprano in the role of an ingenue (Tatyana in "Eugene Onegin", to take just one example). Julia Migenes was a lithe and beautiful fiery Carmen in the movie I watched, and Hildegarde Behrens, while not exactly a teenager, was still young-enough looking to be believable as a woman Siegfried would fall in love with. But, nearly always, the sopranos they get look matronly, not maidenly. The one doing Elsa in "Lohengrin" reminds me far too much of my piano teacher Mrs. Ferguson. I know this makes me a Philistine. I know that, and I don't care.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10792
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: My composing dream

Post by Poodle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm

It doesn't make you a Philistine. The opera world always hangs on to people (especially women) way past their sell-by date.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 am
I don't know if I ever had any musical imagination. Under the crushing weight of my piano teacher, Mrs. Ferguson, I developed a technical ability to play that some people found impressive. On the other hand, I was never given any time just to make up my own music.
Actors VS Musicians
Some musicians are just stupid and don't know they are stupid. They can play the simplest three chord thrash guitar songs and because they don't know the song is bad .......they play with so much sincere enthusiasm........that the song sounds really good. I'm thinking of the Ramones, Sex Pistols and so on

On the other hand you get actors who watch stupid musicians and think, "Anyone can look stupid and bang out a song sincerely" So the actors get up on stage and act like musicians However stupid musicians have the advantage in being genuinely stupid and their sincerity is genuine. Actors just can't imitate sincere stupidity.

Actors should always ask the managers of stupid musicians the important questions.
Actor : Why does the lead guitarist stick out his tongue when doing a lead break?
Manager : "He thinks it helps balance his head as he is genuinely stupid"
:D

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:10 am

Poodle wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm
It doesn't make you a Philistine. The opera world always hangs on to people (especially women) way past their sell-by date.
When you get the chance, respond to these 2 posts I've made in this topic:

viewtopic.php?p=671121#p671121

viewtopic.php?p=670971#p670971

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:34 am

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Kamil wrote: When you get the chance, respond to these 2 posts I've made in this topic:
When you get a chance.....program in some drum patterns using your FL Studio software, that you claim you use to make your awful music.

You see, if you can't even program drums, how do you think you can understand dynamics and composition.

(Don't forget to use kick, snare and hi hat, and don't forget to gate the open hi-hat against the closed hi hat)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FL Snare.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10792
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: My composing dream

Post by Poodle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:20 am

Omniverse wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:10 am
Poodle wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm
It doesn't make you a Philistine. The opera world always hangs on to people (especially women) way past their sell-by date.
When you get the chance, respond to these 2 posts I've made in this topic:

viewtopic.php?p=671121#p671121

viewtopic.php?p=670971#p670971
Why on Earth would I want to do that?

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: My composing dream

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 am

Poodle wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm
It doesn't make you a Philistine. The opera world always hangs on to people (especially women) way past their sell-by date.
Thanks for the comforting words. But I have to admit, this makes me into a male chauvinist pig, judging talented women by their looks, just in the mold of Hugh Hefner. I'm sure there are some saintly men out there (most of them gay). These men can look at a soprano built like an aurochs and imagine the seductive young maiden that the (male chauvinist) opera composers scripted. I can't. So, call me Hugh Hefner. I remember an interview in Playboy with Ayn Rand from the 1950s, which I was reading because I like interviews (cough! ahem!). Rand, a "mature woman" by this time (as mature as she ever got, anyway) suggested that it might be nice to have an older Playmate of the Month, that one should "look beneath the surface" of the woman. To which Hefner replied, "How do you look beneath the surface of a photograph?"

Exactly. That's why I prefer operas that are made into movies, as the 1984 version of "Carmen" was. (One drawback was that I nearly turned it off in the first five minutes, which was an extended showing of an actual bullfight. But otherwise, the photography was superb and another great reason to prefer the movie to the stage presentation.) In light opera, I think it was a brilliant idea to cast Natalie Wood as Maria in "West Side Story" instead of Carol Lawrence, who did it on stage. Natalie had much softer features. On stage, though, Carol Lawrence was much better, since she could sing and dance. They made up for this in the movie by having Natalie's singing parts dubbed by a real soprano. (Natalie, whom I fortunately never heard singing, was undoubtedly an alto and could never have hit those high notes.) On the other hand, the same geniuses who replaced Carol Lawrence with Natalie Wood undid all their brilliant casting work by replacing Larry Kurt with Richard Beymer, whom I myself could have taken down in a real street fight.

I await a really good movie version of the Ring cycle, where the special effects people could get to work with Star Wars technology. Then the gods could actually enter Valhalla, the Rhine maidens wouldn't have to pretend to be swimming, the Valkyries wouldn't have to lope around pretending to ride horses through the sky, and we'd actually see Brünnhilde's horse instead of having her report that Siegfried had awakened the horse along with her.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: My composing dream

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:40 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 am
I don't know if I ever had any musical imagination. Under the crushing weight of my piano teacher, Mrs. Ferguson, I developed a technical ability to play that some people found impressive. On the other hand, I was never given any time just to make up my own music.
Actors VS Musicians
Some musicians are just stupid and don't know they are stupid. They can play the simplest three chord thrash guitar songs and because they don't know the song is bad .......they play with so much sincere enthusiasm........that the song sounds really good. I'm thinking of the Ramones, Sex Pistols and so on

On the other hand you get actors who watch stupid musicians and think, "Anyone can look stupid and bang out a song sincerely" So the actors get up on stage and act like musicians However stupid musicians have the advantage in being genuinely stupid and their sincerity is genuine. Actors just can't imitate sincere stupidity.

Actors should always ask the managers of stupid musicians the important questions.
Actor : Why does the lead guitarist stick out his tongue when doing a lead break?
Manager : "He thinks it helps balance his head as he is genuinely stupid"
:D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I laugh, because I've never really thought of actors as the sharpest tools in the shed either, if you get my drift. (Think Mel Gibson leaving voice messages for his estranged wife and calling a female police officer "Sugar Tits".) And then there's the Monkees (observe a minute of silence in memory of Davy Jones), actors pretending to be musicians, getting a lot of hit singles, and actually making live tours. Only in the 60s...you had to be there.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote: And then there's the Monkees actors pretending to be musicians, getting a lot of hit singles, and actually making live tours. Only in the 60s...you had to be there.
I have seen "Head" the Monkees "own" movie and I thought it was clever.

On our very own forum, we had Alan Green, who was Davy Jones' musical director. He was running a "hidden codes in Shakespeare" confidence trick. One of the forum's "woo" followers, called Salomed, brought Alan Green here. It was just like the Monkees, in that Alan Jones was pretending to find codes as "a scientist" when he was just a musician and no such codes existed. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27941&hilit=alan+Green#p566177

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: My composing dream

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 am

Austin Harper wrote:Are you admitting to writing that under the pseudonym Matt MSV7?
Here is Omniverse, in another thread, making exactly the same posts as in this thread, back in April 2017
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28052&p=571344#p571344
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Omniverse wrote:Here is a magnificent composition I recently made:

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cROdB-GcgM[/bbvideo]
////////////////////////////////////////////

If you click on his link, it takes you to Matt MSV7's You-tube composition. As per usual the "music" is absolutely awful and only a tool for trolling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Even if I do become a fully educated composer, I worry that the music I make would be something very good and meaningful from my perspective and meaningless rubbish from other people's perspectives. If that's the case, then I wonder how I'm supposed to make music that's actually good and conveys the meaning, emotions, and scenes I want to convey. With this final tune I've made, I think the beat is very good, catchy, and conveys power and meaning. It may not be the best beat in the world. But I still think it's good and catchy. The same thing applies to the beat along with the melody. I bet other people would say it's rubbish though and that's the problem I'm having here. Anyway, here's the links to this new tune:

Youtube Link:



Soundcloud Link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-432115982/darktunefinal

Music Sheet (with key signature specified):

https://ibb.co/d4ENAL
Last edited by Omniverse on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: My composing dream

Post by Aztexan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:58 pm

The tempo is too fast if you're trying to execute something you want to be received as emotion and feeling. It's more like scary merry go round music rather than something I'd want on to relax or get in a peaceful mood. The melody has improved somewhat but it's just not there, man. It needs more refinement. You're on the right track but you have to stop faulting your audience for not getting what you can't convey or compose.
trump is Putin's bitch

Omniverse
Poster
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:09 am

Re: My composing dream

Post by Omniverse » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Aztexan wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:58 pm
The tempo is too fast if you're trying to execute something you want to be received as emotion and feeling. It's more like scary merry go round music rather than something I'd want on to relax or get in a peaceful mood. The melody has improved somewhat but it's just not there, man. It needs more refinement. You're on the right track but you have to stop faulting your audience for not getting what you can't convey or compose.
Just so you know, it's not supposed to be something peaceful and relaxing. I also have the wrong instrument choice for it because I can't find any instruments that match the awesome, powerful ones I'm hearing in my head. I don't know what the instruments are I'm hearing in my mind. Anyway, this tune is supposed to convey an awesome, powerful scene of a gothic character unleashing a magnitude of energy.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5560
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA

Re: My composing dream

Post by Monster » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Aztexan wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:58 pm
you have to stop faulting your audience for not getting what you can't convey or compose.
Omniverse, reread what Aztexan wrote that I quoted. It is vitally important to your future as a composer.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.