The Thai cave rescue

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: The Thai cave rescue

Post by landrew » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:People still think Edison was a genius.
In an evil sort of way.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 pm

landrew wrote:
In an evil sort of way.
Those that know even a little about him, yes.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
landrew wrote:
In an evil sort of way.
Those that know even a little about him, yes.
The more you look into real history, the more apparent it becomes that a good number of those claiming to be the "inventors" are actually those who moved quickly to steal the inventions from those who did the actual inventing. I'm not saying that Edison wasn't an inventor in his own right, but he learned how to marshal the resources of other inventors for his own benefit. Much like today, where most of the patents are held by large corporations instead of the individuals who developed them.

Tesla was such a prolific genius that it was hard for everyone to steal all of his inventions, however they did try and succeed much of the time. He died fairly penniless, never prospering from his great genius. Edwin Howard Armstrong was another partial exception. His genius was behind many of the early breakthroughs in radio, including regeneration and superheterodyne circuitry. He prospered for a time, but when RCA set it's sights on stealing his patents for FM radio, they persisted in breaking their agreements until they finally broke him. He eventually ended his own life as a result. Lee De Forest is credited with inventing the vacuum tube, but he never did figure out it's working principle for himself. Even at a ripe old age, he held a lingering animosity for greater inventive talents like Reginald Fessenden, who became only modestly famous because he wasn't ruthless enough to capitalize on the work of others.

The Wright brothers were stricken from the history books for a time in favor of Glenn Curtiss who was promoted as the inventor of the airplane by the US military, who stole the patents outright from the Wright brothers. It took a presidential executive order in the 1940s to restore the Wright Flyer to it's rightful place hanging in the Smithsonian museum, and it's invention rightfully attributed to the Wrights.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:19 am

landrew wrote:I have to nominate Elon Musk as the Biggest Loser in this story. He rushed ahead with an unworkable solution, and when it was rejected, he lashed out, calling his opponent a pedophile. Many people are willing to forgive a tarnished hero, but for me, this incident will be an indelible blemish on his character. I still regard him a genius, albeit an imperfect one.
It is worth remembering, landrew, that Musk was provoked. Not an excuse, of course. He was at fault in spite of that. But his infamous pedo boy quip was in response to a guy belittling his efforts to help.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
landrew wrote:I have to nominate Elon Musk as the Biggest Loser in this story. He rushed ahead with an unworkable solution, and when it was rejected, he lashed out, calling his opponent a pedophile. Many people are willing to forgive a tarnished hero, but for me, this incident will be an indelible blemish on his character. I still regard him a genius, albeit an imperfect one.
It is worth remembering, landrew, that Musk was provoked. Not an excuse, of course. He was at fault in spite of that. But his infamous pedo boy quip was in response to a guy belittling his efforts to help.
Yeah, it wasn't his fault. People belittle me on here, so I should start calling them pedophiles.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Personally, I think Musk needs to eat this one.
A dose of humility will make him a better man.
https://www.businessinsider.com/amy-poe ... deo-2018-7