Fame and Fortune/another falls

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
city slicker

Fame and Fortune/another falls

Post by city slicker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:02 pm

One of the things I have always liked about the Sceptic Society was the wonderful lectures given by people I know or recognize. It was especially pleasing to see all the young people and students who attended.
Well something has changed. Now it costs $50 bucks to attend one of these "salons". Michael now describes himself as a "public intellectual". This is too precious for me.
I am sorry students and others are shut out by the cost or lack of transportation.
Too bad.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: Fame and Fortune/another falls

Post by Gord » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Whenever I get people in one of my salons, I usually charge them $5 to get out.

Well, I try to charge them $5 to get out. They usually discover a way to get out for free.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:59 pm

When I go to my salon I take a newspaper with me and don't come out until the member of the family starts banging on the door screaming in despair that they need to use it too.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:22 pm

city slicker wrote:One of the things I have always liked about the Sceptic Society was the wonderful lectures given by people I know or recognize. It was especially pleasing to see all the young people and students who attended.
Well something has changed. Now it costs $50 bucks to attend one of these "salons". Michael now describes himself as a "public intellectual". This is too precious for me. I am sorry students and others are shut out by the cost or lack of transportation.
Too bad.
OK. That's a fair comment.

I haven't got a clue about the internal workings of the Skeptic Society, but you are saying there should be access to the material for those on a fixed budget.

Have you checked the normal home page? It may be that the material becomes available to you, upon joining the society as a member. I simply don't know as I have not looked.

(Most of the forum members are not from the USA and thus can't attend USA conferences and talks)

The Skeptic Society Home Page
http://www.skeptic.com/

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:39 pm

What material are you asking for?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

city slicker

Post by city slicker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:35 pm

I am not looking for anything specifically. I am just lamenting the fact that a so- called society is being run by someone who claims to be a "scientist" (His degree is in the history of science) calls himself a "public intellectual", and runs a "salon", and charges $50 bucks a crack for it.
If this is not hubris, I don't know what is.
I have been a member for some years, and really enjoyed the lectures when they were at Cal-Tech. Cal Tech is not available now, but there must be a less expensive and more open place to have these lectures if the Society is really interested in presenting cutting-edge science to the people.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:05 pm

To be fair to Dr. Shermer, his PhD is in the history of science but his MA is in experimental psychology.

The last of the CalTech Lectures that I can find is Catastrophes! Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Tornadoes, and Other Earth-Shattering Disasters presented by Dr. Donald Prothero on May 15, 2011. The listing for the event says "Tickets: First come, first served at the door. Seating is limited. $8 for Skeptics Society members and the JPL/Caltech community, $10 for nonmembers. Your admission fee is a donation that pays for our lecture expenses."

The next event I see in the Science Salon series is Gravitational Waves, Black Holes and the Nature of the Cosmos presented by Dr. Janna Levin on April 10, 2016. The listing for the event says "Tickets: $50 per individual (includes a reserved seat, autographed copy of the guest’s book, hors d’oeuvres and wine). Call 1-626-794-3119 to reserve."

So you're paying $42 more for the new series than for the old, but you're also getting the book (which has a list price of $27), so you're really only paying $15 more dollars for a reserved seat, hors d'oeuvres, and wine. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

I'm sorry if you don't like the new pricing structure but I don't see why you feel you it's "hubris" for the Society to put on events however they want to.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Ha, ha................. its called: ...................... FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

Ummmmm....I don't think its too obvious to say: If you don't want to pay the money, don't go.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Austin Harper wrote:...hors d'oeuvres....
Made from real hors!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?