The Present

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
freddie_nietzsche

The Present

Post by freddie_nietzsche » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:25 am

Greetings, fellow sceptics!

Last year I read a free online book called 'The Present'. You can find it at www.truthcontest.com. It's an attempt to explain life, death, existence and everything else in only 101 pages. It covers an extraordinarily wide range of topics, from evolution and spirituality to The Wizard of Oz and The Beatles, but claims that the only 5 things you really need to know are the following:

1. OUR TRUE HISTORY
We have spent 700 million years on Earth evolving from bacteria to mankind, and have lived as every animal in our evolutionary line along the way.

2. YOU ARE IMMORTAL
When you die, you get reborn in a new physical body. From your perspective, it seems as if no time has passed.

3. EVERYTHING WILL BALANCE
Good and bad luck will always cancel each other out eventually, even if multiple lifespans are required for this to happen.

4. YOU ARE A SPIRITUAL BEING
You have a mind that thinks, and a spirit that receives the mind's thoughts. The spirit should be seen as the more important part of us from now on; the mind should be turned off when it is not needed.

5. THE PRESENT IS EVERYTHING
People spend too much time thinking about the past and the future, and consequently fail to live in the present, the only thing that exists.

Now naturally, being a skeptic, I have spent plenty of time questioning the things written in 'The Present', but I have to admit that I can't find much that I disagree with, and I'd even go so far as to say that it's the best explanation of the truth of life that I've ever come across. I suspect it will become internationally well-known over the next few years. Here's the link:

http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/the ... h/toc.html

Happy reading! :D

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: The Present

Post by Gord » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 am

1. I assume that's an estimate.

2. No we're not.

3. "Luck" is an illusion we create when we attempt to analyse our experiences for patterns amongst the randomness.

4. I don't think that's true, but maybe it is. I'm pretty sure the "spirit", however it is described, is generated either by or as the mind.

5. We're only aware of the past. The present doesn't impact on our awareness until after it's happened.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Freddie

1. DO I BELIEVE YOU'RE REALLY CALLED NIETZSCHE?
No

2. HAVE YOU LOOKED UP THE DEFINITION OF SKEPTIC?
No

3. DO YOU KNOW EDGAR POSTRADO?
Probably
Last edited by Poodle on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:10 pm

freddie_nietzsche wrote: ... claims that the only 5 things you really need to know are the following:

1. OUR TRUE HISTORY
We have spent 700 million years on Earth evolving from bacteria to mankind, and have lived as every animal in our evolutionary line along the way.

2. YOU ARE IMMORTAL
When you die, you get reborn in a new physical body. From your perspective, it seems as if no time has passed.

Good and bad luck will always cancel each other out eventually, even if multiple lifespans are required for this to happen.

You have a mind that thinks, and a spirit that receives the mind's thoughts. The spirit should be seen as the more important part of us from now on; the mind should be turned off when it is not needed.

People spend too much time thinking about the past and the future, and consequently fail to live in the present, the only thing that exists.
I don't agree with your assertions.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:28 pm

And where's the "new" in any of it? In fact, it's "ancient". That stuff has been circulated for at least as long as the Eastern Thought New Age woo exists.

Spam...
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Freddie: thanks for your concise review of the point of the book/your theory. So few people do that.

I agree with only No 5. I think Gord is applying a special definition to how the "present" is most often conceived....although, it is all definitional and his point is valid, but so is yours/ours.

It is a challenge.....probably the actually best if not necessary approach is to live mostly in the present but have a touchstone with the past while some alternative approaches to the future.

Balance and Flexibility while reaching for the stars.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Freddie: thanks for your concise review of the point of the book/your theory. So few people do that.

I agree with only No 5. I think Gord is applying a special definition to how the "present" is most often conceived....although, it is all definitional and his point is valid, but so is yours/ours.

It is a challenge.....probably the actually best if not necessary approach is to live mostly in the present but have a touchstone with the past while some alternative approaches to the future.

Balance and Flexibility while reaching for the stars.
Oh right, #5. I actually agree with #5.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Yes, Dear Old Number 5. I thought it was one of my top five favorite (non-classical) songs, googled, and found out it was only Dear 5. So this is off topic. But its still right up there with my other fav's. So Melancholy. The Movie that used it is very good as well, "City of Ghosts". I've never heard music like this in Japan. I thought it was more a Cambodian New Age song....still good whatever it is.

[ytube][/ytube]
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:00 pm

More drive by spam
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:09 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Yes, Dear Old Number 5. I thought it was one of my top five favorite (non-classical) songs, googled, and found out it was only Dear 5. So this is off topic. But its still right up there with my other fav's. So Melancholy. The Movie that used it is very good as well, "City of Ghosts". I've never heard music like this in Japan. I thought it was more a Cambodian New Age song....still good whatever it is.

[ytube][/ytube]
Somebody`z been a`snoopin `round my garden....

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:17 pm

:-D
Lard, save me from your followers.

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Post by Hex » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:45 pm

freddie_nietzsche wrote:1. OUR TRUE HISTORY
So, reincarnation, hardly a new concept.
2. YOU ARE IMMORTAL
Reincarnation again, was it necessary to repeat the thought experiment?
So you'd have to prove that both reincarnation and the balance of luck is true for every being. Good Luck with that.
Again there has never been any evidence for a spirit. In any case this "fuzzy" word means different things to different people. What do you mean when you say "spirit". I can't adequately discuss it until I know what you mean.
I'm going to disagree with my fellow skeptics that have posted. To be well aware of your past, both mistakes and successes amongst other things are important things to keep in mind to help you make decisions in the present. Having goals for the future also helps determine what decisions you make in the present. Humans are pretty remarkable at being able to balance how much brain power they attribute to each as they go about their day to day lives. You may not agree on how they live their lives but to just live in the moment can have pretty disastrous outcomes if you are not always fluidly thinking both into the past and for the future.

I do agree with the others in that I don't think you have any idea what the word skeptic means. Your whole post has made that abundantly clear.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:33 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I agree with only No 5. I think Gord is applying a special definition to how the "present" is most often conceived....although, it is all definitional and his point is valid, but so is yours/ours.
I'm explaining how awareness is not instantaneous. It takes time to be aware of things that happen; therefore, we are not aware of the present until it is in the past.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?