Last Meals of dead people

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Last Meals of dead people

Post by TJrandom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:35 pm

What is the fascination people have with the `last meals` of people who are about to be executed? Invariably it is described in the press following each execution. Is it an attempt for society to humanize the condemned, or possibly a way of shifting the focus from a ghastly business? And why don`t we investigate and similarly call attention to the last meals of mass killers who subsequently take their own lives? As in … Joe `blow em away` gun nutter dined on a drug-through-the-garden BigMac and fries, with a side of onion rings, and a sweet pickle, all washed down with a strawberry shake before he entered the school yard and mowed down the little kiddies.
… Clayton's last words before he was executed were, "They brought me up here to execute me." His last meal was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans and a cola. He did not receive any sedatives.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html

Here in Japan, a last meal is offered on the morning the condemned is awoken and informed that today is the day, so I assume that the possible menu options must be quite limited. I don’t recall ever hearing of what an executed person here ate as a last meal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_p ... t_in_Japan

Wiki suggests the tradition, where it exists, was a way of obtaining absolution from the condemned for what the executioner was about to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_meal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Last Meals of dead people

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:46 pm

You raised an interesting question, and then answered it. The wiki makes sense to me, then food is always interesting in the food obsessed West. Like too many travel shows, when we start to televise executions, I can now see a blurred out scene of it with a cut to 90% of the show on how to bread fried chicken? Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:18 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:You raised an interesting question, and then answered it. The wiki makes sense to me, then food is always interesting in the food obsessed West. Like too many travel shows, when we start to televise executions, I can now see a blurred out scene of it with a cut to 90% of the show on how to bread fried chicken? Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
Yes – I was learning a bit as I constructed the post, so added the links that I found. But is that it? Simply to assuage guilt?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:46 am

tj==why can't the answer be simple?

.........and if you demand complexity, then simply accept simplicity as part of the answer?

Why the consternation?...............Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:31 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:tj==why can't the answer be simple?

.........and if you demand complexity, then simply accept simplicity as part of the answer?

Why the consternation?...............Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
OK ... but only stale bread and water for you then.... :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:18 am

Back when bread and water only was a common prison regime, or onboard ship, or farming the fields, or manning an army, the BREAD was not the crap we have today. Back then---bread and water was a meal.

I did a modified Bread and Water diet for quite a while.... in France. It was Bread and Cheese and Wine and omelets and crepes. (OK---steaks and pomme frites as well)

I survived, and yearn for those days once again.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:59 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Back when bread and water only was a common prison regime, or onboard ship, or farming the fields, or manning an army, the BREAD was not the crap we have today. Back then---bread and water was a meal.

I did a modified Bread and Water diet for quite a while.... in France. It was Bread and Cheese and Wine and omelets and crepes. (OK---steaks and pomme frites as well)

I survived, and yearn for those days once again.
That sounds a whole lot better than hardtack and water pulled from the {!#%@} bucket. Not exactly bread and water… as was the Brit routine (if I remember Wiki correctly…).

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

TJrandom wrote:What is the fascination people have with the `last meals` of people who are about to be executed?...

...Wiki suggests the tradition, where it exists, was a way of obtaining absolution from the condemned for what the executioner was about to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_meal
Thanks.

I was thinking about this myself just the other day while out for a walk, and had forgotten about it by the time I got home and didn't get to google it for more information.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?