Aircraft Cloaking System

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Aircraft Cloaking System

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:16 am

See and avoid, or sense and avoid – requiring pilots to scan their flight path and surrounding area for other traffic, and take collision avoidance action if necessary – has just been dealt a blow. Since we now have aircraft that cannot be seen by the eye. Yikes.

Air Force Reveals its New Aircraft Cloaking System Uses Dark-Emitting Diodes (DEDs)
Star Trek has finally met its match in real life with the U. S. Air Force's revelation of a new stealth technology that works as effectively as the "cloaking devices" used by Captain Kirk's nemesis, the Klingons. Officially announced, the X-86b is the world's first truly invisible airplane, according to the Air Force information office*. While most details of its operation are still classified, it has been confirmed that it uses a large array of carefully-modulated dark-emitting diodes "DEDs" to render the craft invisible to the naked eye.
http://www.ebnonline.com/author.asp?doc ... _pv_rss_nc

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Re: Aircraft Cloaking System

Post by Poodle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:33 am

Nice try, TJ.

The original article reporting this amazing achievement was published on 1st April, 2015 on that sister site, EDN.

DEDs exist - but they ain't THAT good. Photoshop is a wonderful thing.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:41 am

Poodle wrote:Nice try, TJ.

The original article reporting this amazing achievement was published on 1st April, 2015 on that sister site, EDN.

DEDs exist - but they ain't THAT good. Photoshop is a wonderful thing.

Oh {!#%@}! And Oh – so sorry….. :oops: :oops:
* Editor's note: EDN thanks the U.S. Air Force for permission to cover the accidental exposure if its highly-classified technology. As part of the agreement which made this story possible, EDN has redacted the most sensitive details and agreed to publish it as an "April Fools satire". To the skeptics who wonder if this is a joke or a conspiracy being perpetrated in plain sight, we say: "We report - you decide".
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/le ... ing-diodes

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:06 am

TJrandom wrote:Oh {!#%@}! And Oh – so sorry….. :oops: :oops:
* Editor's note: EDN thanks the U.S. Air Force for permission to cover the accidental exposure if its highly-classified technology. As part of the agreement which made this story possible, EDN has redacted the most sensitive details and agreed to publish it as an "April Fools satire". To the skeptics who wonder if this is a joke or a conspiracy being perpetrated in plain sight, we say: "We report - you decide".
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/le ... ing-diodes
Don't let it bother you, TJ - I'd read the article quite a few times before I spotted it. Apparently, you can make your own DEDs by simply cutting the leads off a normal LED. Alternatively, connecting an LED directly to a 50V DC supply will perform the conversion adequately - not a single photon can be detected being emitted by the device after that treatment.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks…. I have scanned the various sites I was looking at, and have not been able to recreate the sequence that took me to that article. I didn`t see the April date until you pointed it out. My bad….

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:18 am

The cover-up proceeds nicely.

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:42 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:The cover-up proceeds nicely.

meanie.... :oops:

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:40 pm

I have worked before with a device that lights up to various light blue hues to match sky color and also cools the blue surface to mask thermal radiation as well. It's not very practical though because in order to change color and temperature you have to pump a ton of heat out of the back side of the device, which would be internal to the aircraft.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:36 pm

... but ideal for an intercontinental hot-air balloon.

Hmmm. Getting clear after dropping the bomb may be a bit on the risky side, though.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:19 am

I'm not sure what the advantage of a cloaking system is, any more for aircraft. Everyone is bogging down on reducing the aircraft's signature, for the "old technology" of bouncing back a radar return or light wave, off the aircraft. More modern military systems, use improved processing powers to scatter and bounce detection signals off the ionosphere and then observe for moving holes that stop random broadcast signals returning. Stealthy aircraft are not that useful any more against big countries with sophisticated radar arrays.

During the Yugoslavian war, China supplied a conventional fibre optic fire and control anti aircraft system, to Serbia, It was in a internal room of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade. However an American F117 Stealth fighter was hit. I imagine this concerned NATO, that the pesky Russians were aiding Serbia with "gap radar", but no integrated control systems existed to allow this. So NATO simply bombed the Chinese Embassy by accident.

Jindalee Operational Radar Network "Over the horizon radar".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jindalee_ ... ar_Network

United States bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... n_Belgrade

According to the Observer,
British, Canadian and French air targeteers rounded on an American colonel on the morning of May 8. Angrily they denounced the "cock-up". The US colonel was relaxed. "BS," he replied to the complaints. "That was great targeting ... we put three JDAMs down into the (military] attache's office and took out the exact room we wanted ...

A NATO flight controller based in Naples and a NATO intelligence officer monitoring Yugoslav radio broadcasts from Macedonia each confirmed that NATO's signals intelligence located Yugoslav military radio signals coming from the Chinese embassy in Belgrade. When they informed their superiors, they were told that the matter would be handled further up in the chain of command. Two weeks later, the embassy was bombed.

It should be noted that, in an interview with the author, NATO spokesman Lee McClenny confirmed that the targeting information did not go through JTF NOBLE ANVIL, or any other NATO structure, in contrast to Tennet's [sic] official public statements. Instead, the co-ordinates were passed directly from the CIA to Whiteman Air Force Base

In the light of this, it would seem to be relevant to consider that the F-117 lost over Serbia was lost two weeks prior to the strikes on the Chinese Embassy. On the same night that the F-117 was lost, another returned to base with extensive damage