Skeptic.com questionnaire

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
ashbash

Skeptic.com questionnaire

Post by ashbash » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:29 pm

As I'm currently doing a virtual ethnography of this forum as part of my dissertation (I've outlined this in my introduction thread), one part of it is to conduct a questionnaire, just to get a general idea of aspects such as why people became sceptics to general demographics information.

The questionnaire is completely confidential and anonymous to keep in accordance to my college's research ethical guidelines - no one on this forum will see what you put up and no one will know who you are. The information will be only used as part of my dissertation. It also won't take more than 5 minutes. ;)

PS. Also don't mind my spelling differences, ie. "sceptic", hahaha.

If you want to participate, here's the link to the questionnaire:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uFrfd6 ... rm?c=0&w=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Research Blog:
https://ashleydolandkit.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Skeptic.com questionnaire

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:13 am

Survey Completed.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Post by Scott Mayers » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:40 am

ashbash wrote: The questionnaire is completely confidential and anonymous to keep in accordance to my college's research ethical guidelines - no one on this forum will see what you put up and no one will know who you are.
But how would you do justice to research on those who come here for those who lack the very anonymity which may motivate them to come here in the first place? Even for those who come here in sincere anonymity, they too, may want notice but have justified reasons to appear so for reasons which make them concerned to respond to such a survey as it may expose them for the very reason they were being anonymous. They are certainly more likely to be 'skeptical' of your survey. Yes? No? :?:

:?
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: eugenics never stopped

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:54 am

ashbash wrote:As I'm currently doing a virtual ethnography of this forum as part of my dissertation (I've outlined this in my introduction thread), one part of it is to conduct a questionnaire, just to get a general idea of aspects such as why people became sceptics to general demographics information.

The questionnaire is completely confidential and anonymous to keep in accordance to my college's research ethical guidelines - no one on this forum will see what you put up and no one will know who you are. The information will be only used as part of my dissertation. It also won't take more than 5 minutes. ;)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uFrfd6 ... rm?c=0&w=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
what do you think of the mental health system and psychiatry ? :pc:

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Post by Scott Mayers » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:01 am

psychiatry is a scam,

I think that he (or she*) won't be able to answer you in fairness since it defeats his/her capacity to presume anything or nothing prior to this questionnaire since he*** is using it to determine what he (she, it **) can't tell us. If he did, it could possibly invalidate his**** research.

Edit at *. Question: Why don't we have a neutral word for sex? If we use 'it', it comes across as representing disrespect regardless of what we mean to either sex yet we are obliged to represent both to be 'fair'. :evil:

**Second edit: I caught that I used "he" again and while I don't discriminate, it may come across as me supposedly being 'unfair' .....again! Okay, just so you know, when I use "he" by default without certainty, assume me as meaning any human (or is it also 'huwoman" too?) :twisted: Damn! :shock:

***{!#%@}! :twisted:

**** yeah, yeah, ....you get what I'm talking about. 8-)
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:21 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
ashbash wrote:As I'm currently doing a virtual ethnography of this forum as part of my dissertation (I've outlined this in my introduction thread), one part of it is to conduct a questionnaire, just to get a general idea of aspects such as why people became sceptics to general demographics information.

what do you think of the mental health system and psychiatry ? :pc:
He wuvs it. He absowutewy wuvs it. Wuvs it wuvs it wuvs it.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:10 am

How old are you?

Under 18
18-30
30-50
50+
If I'm 30 (for instance), do I select "18-30" or "30-50"? Or can I select both?

Also, I hope this isn't meant to be anonymous, 'cause my answers contain extreme clues to who I am. :jester:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:45 am

Gord wrote: Also, I hope this isn't meant to be anonymous, 'cause my answers contain extreme clues to who I am
batman-vs-superman.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ashbash

Post by ashbash » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:
ashbash wrote: The questionnaire is completely confidential and anonymous to keep in accordance to my college's research ethical guidelines - no one on this forum will see what you put up and no one will know who you are.
But how would you do justice to research on those who come here for those who lack the very anonymity which may motivate them to come here in the first place? Even for those who come here in sincere anonymity, they too, may want notice but have justified reasons to appear so for reasons which make them concerned to respond to such a survey as it may expose them for the very reason they were being anonymous. They are certainly more likely to be 'skeptical' of your survey. Yes? No? :?:

:?
That is a good point. However, this applies to when I quote posts and such too - avatars, names etc. have to be removed. URLs can't be used. I'll actually get in trouble if I include names or other personal details of people without their consent.

The Interviews i'll be doing later on are a different matter. If people want to be known, they can ask to be.
Research Blog:
https://ashleydolandkit.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ashbash

Post by ashbash » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Gord wrote:
How old are you?

Under 18
18-30
30-50
50+
If I'm 30 (for instance), do I select "18-30" or "30-50"? Or can I select both?

Also, I hope this isn't meant to be anonymous, 'cause my answers contain extreme clues to who I am. :jester:
I didn't notice that - 18-30 is supposed to be 18-29. I did the same for 30-50.

My supervisor or the college won't know who you are. ;)
Research Blog:

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Ethnography? Your survey doesn't collect ethnographic information other than continent of residence, age, and gender.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ashbash

Post by ashbash » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:09 pm

It's only one part of it - the questionnaire is to get basic information only. I've to use other means too, ie. interviews, observation, contributing etc - the usual aspects of an ethnography.
Research Blog:

ashbash

Post by ashbash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:04 am

I have updated the questionnaire based on feedback based on here and via my supervisor.
In contrast to the other thread a member made utilising a psychology questionnaire, my approach doesn't use a pre-made, tested questionnaire, and more tailored to the forum itself. This is due to the ethnographical approach of my dissertation. Again, this is just to get a "basic idea", and not going to be the main basis of my research.

This also means the data collected now is different from before, so I have to differentiate this in my findings.
Research Blog:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:55 am

ashbash wrote:I have updated the questionnaire based on feedback based on here and via my supervisor.
In contrast to the other thread a member made utilising a psychology questionnaire, my approach doesn't use a pre-made, tested questionnaire, and more tailored to the forum itself. This is due to the ethnographical approach of my dissertation. Again, this is just to get a "basic idea", and not going to be the main basis of my research.

This also means the data collected now is different from before, so I have to differentiate this in my findings.
Problems:

The question "What aspects of scepticism do you associate with the most?" lets me pick all the answers, whereas the question "Are you a fan of well-known sceptics?" only lets me pick one. Surely that should be the other way around.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

ashbash

Post by ashbash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Hmm, good eye. They are indeed meant to be the other way around. I'll change that now. I'll blame being half asleep. :lol:
Research Blog:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Okay, I re-answered it again. :mrgreen:
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?