Rapid DNA analysis

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Rapid DNA analysis

Post by TJrandom » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:29 pm

This announcement is a bit old – from 3 years ago, but I recently read that the FBI has ordered many of these systems, and with the various DNA databases now available to law enforcement agencies, see the potential for both good, and possibly bad results.

Good that criminals may be identified well within the legal `charge or release` timeframes - but bad that DNA collected from unrelated to a case items may see people incarcerated, given that DNA evidence is now seen as irrefutable. So while I am not a litterer anyway, I would want to be super careful about disposal of any item which might be contaminated with my DNA – a newspaper, drink container, etc., since anyone who obtained it could `plant` the evidence at the scene of their crime.

Just wait for it to become even faster, ceaper, AND better - and thus available for use as an ID system, replacing passwords, keys, etc.

IntegenX and Promega Ink RapidHIT™ Human Identification System Reagent Supply Agreement

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... G_FVbAcTIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PLEASANTON, Calif. & MADISON, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--IntegenX Inc. and Promega Corporation today announced that commercial deliveries of RapidHIT™ 200 Human Identification Systems will include Promega’s nucleic acid purification and short tandem repeat (STR) amplification reagents. Promega’s established STR chemistry will enable users of the automated, self-contained RapidHIT System to produce DNA profiles for human identification from mouth swabs and other human samples in less than two hours.

Promega’s purification and STR reagents will be packaged with the RapidHIT System’s disposable cartridges, which will automate all DNA sample processing steps required to generate DNA profiles, including cell lysis, DNA purification, STR amplification, separation and detection of amplified products, and data analysis. The single-use cartridges eliminate the need for user intervention during sample processing, greatly simplifying the process of human DNA profile production and eliminating the risk of sample carryover. By integrating Promega’s purification and STR reagents, RapidHIT Systems can produce DNA profiles compatible with local, national, and international database systems, including the U.S. National DNA Index System (NDIS), the U.K. National DNA Database (NDNAD), and Local DNA Index System (LODIS) systems used by local law enforcement agencies.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Rapid DNA analysis

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:00 am

Does it cut out the sloppy human factor? I've seen some scary stuff... :?
Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Re: Rapid DNA analysis

Post by TJrandom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:39 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Does it cut out the sloppy human factor? I've seen some scary stuff... :?
I’m not sure – say a police officer sneezed during the swab process, and indeed he was the rapist… but the sample is labeled as yours… I had read that it couldn`t deal with two DNAs – say of the woman herself who was raped and the rapist. I am guessing that this is currently dealt with by expert clinicians who might test/retest to eliminate the woman`s DNA.

But for a `pure` sample – say a mouth swab that doesn`t get contaminated, it is supposed to be reliable. Even so, if ever charged due to one of these `in-the-field` devices, an innocent person would surely want to request a more formal retest.