Bestiality... really

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
TJrandom
Has No Life

Bestiality... really

Post by TJrandom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 pm

No longer, only in Texas… bestiality in the natural world. There ought to be a law….

… seals ARE having sex with penguins …

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... urore.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Re: Bestiality... really

Post by octopus1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:51 am

TJrandom wrote:No longer, only in Texas… bestiality in the natural world. There ought to be a law….

… seals ARE having sex with penguins …
Would it be ethical to cull the seals, if their behavior is learned? To prevent it becoming the norm? I'm in two minds (as usual!).

Yes - It's not a productive behavior. If it's a sexual morbidity, it could lead to a depletion in the seals' population and a disruption in the penguins' natural mating patterns. A mutually harmful cycle (Is that what it's called?)

No - {!#%@} happens.

I don't know. And the caption, featured of course in the Daily Mail ( :roll: ) with the word "Evil" in it, doesn't really clear things up any...

It's upsetting, but it needs more than the Daily Mail's idiotic moral blustering, to solve or understand what's going on.

[EDIT: Quoting error.]
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks Obama!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:10 am

Just take a look at that penguin. Could anybody really blame the seal?
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:30 am

octopus1 wrote:.... If it's a sexual morbidity, it could lead to a depletion in the seals' population and a disruption in the penguins' natural mating patterns. A mutually harmful cycle (Is that what it's called?) ...
Yes indeed - traumatized penguins, scarred for life, unable to form an adult relationship with another penguin.

If it is a learned adaptation – just who taught it to them? I mean, really, just what have those scientists been up to? First the penguins, then the seals, and who knows what comes next… polar bears maybe?

And to think that these scientists had the gall to film it. No privacy whatsoever, perverts really.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:32 am

digress wrote:Just take a look at that penguin. Could anybody really blame the seal?
Indeed… who`s to say that the penguin didn`t ask for it? I mean, with those cute little school children outfits they all seem to be wearing. For shame, for shame… :D

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:17 am

Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:34 am

Raped as juveniles, they simply grew up knowing no better. They need our understanding, really… (bold added.)
Still, the attempts to mate with seals requires an explanation. The identity of a pair of repeat offenders held a clue. At least two of the sea otters had been previously held at the Monterey Bay Aquarium as part of their rehabilitation program for stranded and injured otters. There was nothing obviously wrong with these rehabbed otters, but the trouble they experienced early in their lives might have made them more likely assailants.
So you see… those nasty scientists have been at it again, now with sea otters. For shame… :oops:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:39 am

Nothing's simply black and white anymore... 51 shades of grey's anatomy... brown's syndrome :roll:

...where was I going with that? :scratch:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:12 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Nothing's simply black and white anymore... 51 shades of grey's anatomy... brown's syndrome :roll:

...where was I going with that? :scratch:

Home?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:29 am

[ytube][/ytube]
trump is Putin's bitch

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 pm

It could be an evolutionary thing. Maybe the seals want black and white babies so killer whales will stop eating them.
trump is Putin's bitch

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Aztexan wrote:It could be an evolutionary thing. Maybe the seals want black and white babies so killer whales will stop eating them.
I think you are on to something there... having missed their biology class, they don`t understand that evolution doesn`t quite work that way. :frown:

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:59 am

TJrandom wrote:
octopus1 wrote:.... If it's a sexual morbidity, it could lead to a depletion in the seals' population and a disruption in the penguins' natural mating patterns. A mutually harmful cycle (Is that what it's called?) ...
Yes indeed - traumatized penguins, scarred for life, unable to form an adult relationship with another penguin.

If it is a learned adaptation – just who taught it to them? I mean, really, just what have those scientists been up to? First the penguins, then the seals, and who knows what comes next… polar bears maybe?

And to think that these scientists had the gall to film it. No privacy whatsoever, perverts really.
I assume that you're being facetious. No polar bears and penguins at the same pole... ;)

Interspecies sexual activity isn't something that is seen very often, or at least not documented very often. Naturally, it raises some interesting (and difficult) questions.

The first might be, how old are the seals? The second being, this is definitely not a photoshop job, right? I'm not casting aspersions, so much as I'm being expectedly skeptical...

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:15 am

octopus1 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

I assume that you're being facetious. No polar bears and penguins at the same pole... ;)

Interspecies sexual activity isn't something that is seen very often, or at least not documented very often. Naturally, it raises some interesting (and difficult) questions.

The first might be, how old are the seals? The second being, this is definitely not a photoshop job, right? I'm not casting aspersions, so much as I'm being expectedly skeptical...
Yes, all in jest... and no, I do not think that scientists taught this practice. But it was indeed news to me - having only personally witnessed such behavior in dogs humping, well, anything.

I believe the article suggested that these seals were juveniles… EDIT: "the seals may also be sexually inexperienced"

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:59 am

Against nature: South African scientists have made four separate observations of individual Antarctic fur seals sexually assaulting adult king penguins as they tried to resist
Why does anyone read the Daily Fail?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:25 am

Gord wrote:
Against nature: South African scientists have made four separate observations of individual Antarctic fur seals sexually assaulting adult king penguins as they tried to resist
Why does anyone read the Daily Fail?
I do - for my daily amusement....

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:39 am

Misbehaving animals:

http://www.ted.com/talks/kees_moeliker_ ... ed_my_life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 am

TJrandom wrote:But it was indeed news to me - having only personally witnessed such behavior in dogs humping, well, anything.
That just proves my long-held conviction that seals are just sea dogs.

But I've seen flies {!#%@} dead flies. The animal urge to {!#%@} is that deep.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:34 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
TJrandom wrote:But it was indeed news to me - having only personally witnessed such behavior in dogs humping, well, anything.
That just proves my long-held conviction that seals are just sea dogs.

But I've seen flies {!#%@} dead flies. The animal urge to {!#%@} is that deep.
I understand that you have been missing... haven`t been sneaking around seals now, have you?

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=24825" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:16 am

Batman-Robin-1966-TV-Peguin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:18 am

Careful, penguins will sometimes fight back. How else did you think seal got those scars?

God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:32 am

Several artist-attempts to show a seal/penguin hybrid….

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-sex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:38 pm

digress wrote:Careful, penguins will sometimes fight back. How else did you think seal got those scars?

Yes, penguins can be nasty.

. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 pm

TJrandom wrote:Several artist-attempts to show a seal/penguin hybrid….

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-sex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was wonderfully tasteless
:D
2374079B00000578-0-image-10_1416830595290.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:35 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:29 am

TJrandom wrote:Several artist-attempts to show a seal/penguin hybrid….

With a difficult General Election coming up in May, it's certainly interesting that the Daily Mail have been busying themselves with BS. Interesting, mind - Not necessarily appropriate :P