The Most Dangerous Religion

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

The Most Dangerous Religion

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Warning: Not suitable for JO 753: May Cause Stroke in Anti-libertarians

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: The Most Dangerous Religion

Post by Monster » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:Warning: Not suitable for JO 753: May Cause Stroke in Anti-libertarians

Cute video.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:11 am

Yeah, that's the evil government.
But, but, who would have the power if governments were not there? The corporations and the oligarchs?
Aren't the libertarians worried that corporation is like a government and oligarchs are like kings?

What are the libertarians going to do when some corporation poisons their land and takes their jobs away with having nobody even to complain to?

And lastly, isn't libertarianism like a religion in their worship of power and money?
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:31 am

Flash wrote:
And lastly, isn't libertarianism like a religion in their worship of power and money?
Imho, Objectivism was like a religion, worshipping Ayn Rand, money, and power, but as far as I can see, liberty is mostly of benefit to the little person, not royalty, military dictators, or an entrenched bureaucrat elite which includes revolving door corporate boards of the Military-Industrial-Congressional establishment.

Your other questions are harder, and are addressed by Milton and Rose Friedman's son, Professor David Friedman, in his book The Machinery of Freedom

http://www.amazon.com/Machinery-Freedom ... of+freedom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not a Born Again Libertarian, but I do think that individual liberty and economic freedom are better ideas than ham-fisted authoritarianism.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

moth1ne
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: theyscanhearsmythots

Post by moth1ne » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Libertarianism is like religion in that it relies on faith in something (the free market) without evidence. There has never been a free market... Ever...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:22 pm

moth1ne wrote:Libertarianism is like religion in that it relies on faith in something (the free market) without evidence. There has never been a free market... Ever...
No, but there sure has been a lot of faith in it.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

moth1ne
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: theyscanhearsmythots

Post by moth1ne » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:05 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
moth1ne wrote:Libertarianism is like religion in that it relies on faith in something (the free market) without evidence. There has never been a free market... Ever...
There's arguably more faith in Santa Claus
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 pm

moth1ne wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
There's arguably more faith in Santa Claus
Depends who's doing the faithing.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:53 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:
I'm not a Born Again Libertarian, but I do think that individual liberty and economic freedom are better ideas than ham-fisted authoritarianism.
This is the kind of a statement nobody can really disagree with.
It's like asking if motherhood and apple pie are better than a kick in the head.
The devil is in the details isn't it?
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:25 am

Tom-Palven wrote:Warning: Not suitable for JO 753: May Cause Stroke in Anti-libertarians

So, they want to move to the Matto Grasso and live free or die, right?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Using the term government to represent images of the USA in the background wont do if you then continue using those terms and later changing the imagery to Hitler/Stalin examples. This is not a fair comparison. So what are the intentions?

For a better example, What does the youtuber have to say about Icelands government?

I feel a bit uneasy when I hear it stated near the end that the "cult of statism is almost dead" by comparing how powerful his rhetorical message is with similarities to a time when it was shown the earth was not flat. It's a very subtle confession to a desperate conviction.

I think the USA needs to reform to a smaller government. However, after seeing Ron Paul's last election I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon, if ever. But that's a digression.
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia