Glass or Plastic Food Containers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Which is better for the environment, glass or plastic? Which is better for you? Is there a moral, logical, rhetorical, political, metaphysical, religious reason to prefer one over the other?

Feedstock
Energy
Recycling
Preservation
Health
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Glass or Plastic Food Containers

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 pm

How durable is the plastic? I've got plastic containers I bought in 2007. (A.D.)
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 pm

I buy pasta sauce in glass jars. That's about it. I do that because the best pasta sauce comes in glass jars. I know it's the best because they package it in glass jars.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:14 am

Yeap, another pasta sauce myth hits the dust.
Re; the containers. I prefer wood. Wooden tomato sauce jars, wooden cooking utensils, wooden shoes, wooden hats. Very good for the environment.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:32 am

Is it a myth? I've had a couple of brands of canned pasta sauce and found them lacking. They were, after all, canned sauces.

I don't think glass is more environmentally friendly than plastic. They might be close. It takes a lot of energy to melt glass and form it. Not so much with plastic. But one can recycle glass more readily than plastic. I'm very torn.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:48 am

Rob Lister wrote:Is it a myth? I've had a couple of brands of canned pasta sauce and found them lacking. They were, after all, canned sauces.
I'd agree. Not a myth, just a matter of taste. But the question would be, is glass essential or just a snob factor?
I don't think glass is more environmentally friendly than plastic. They might be close. It takes a lot of energy to melt glass and form it. Not so much with plastic. But one can recycle glass more readily than plastic. I'm very torn.
Turn them both in for recycling and worry about something else. Seen "Transcendence"?

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:37 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:I don't think glass is more environmentally friendly than plastic. They might be close. It takes a lot of energy to melt glass and form it. Not so much with plastic. But one can recycle glass more readily than plastic. I'm very torn.
Turn them both in for recycling and worry about something else.
I pick this for the weekly worry. So if glass is twice as energy intensive to make and transport than plastic, what percentage of glass must make it back to the recycling center for it to be more environmentally friendly than plastic?
Seen "Transcendence"?
Yes. Johnny Depp once again proves he's an over-rated actor. But otherwise good story-line.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:32 am

If plastics weren't made from fossil feedstocks, I'd be all over them like a vinyl suit on Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:53 am

Major Malfunction wrote:If plastics weren't made from fossil feedstocks, I'd be all over them like a vinyl suit on Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.
That seems irrational. Not Michelle. She's uber-rational.

We can burn the fossil feedstock to make the energy to make the glass ...
... or ...
Just extract from the fossil feedstock only what is necessary to make the plastic and use the leftover to build the roads.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:If plastics weren't made from fossil feedstocks, I'd be all over them like a vinyl suit on Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.
That seems irrational. Not Michelle. She's uber-rational.

We can burn the fossil feedstock to make the energy to make the glass ...
... or ...
Just extract from the fossil feedstock only what is necessary to make the plastic and use the leftover to build the roads.
You know, that's almost rational. Because fossil organic chemistry is such a {!#%@} goldmine of unique chemistry, I'm sure we'll all be cursed by future generations for just burning most of it.

When we could make plastics from efficient carbon-neutral feedstocks like hemp, or algae.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:You know, that's almost rational. Because fossil organic chemistry is such a {!#%@} goldmine of unique chemistry, I'm sure we'll all be cursed by future generations for just burning most of it.
I think you're right.
When we could make plastics from efficient carbon-neutral feedstocks like hemp, or algae.
I'll write you a grant proposal to make it economical. The science is up to you.

The biggest [environmental] sin is bottled water. 2007 numbers put it at 30 billion bottles per year (google charts say that number is more or less flat). Each bottle (just the bottle, not the transport or water) demands roughly 1kwh of energy (4Mj) to create, never mind the feedstock polymers. My wife buys it by the case weekly. Half empty bottles all over the damn house. I used to be in charge.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 pm

The crux of the matter.

Compare it to the cost of installing an in-sink filter system.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:02 am

Flash wrote:I prefer wood. Wooden tomato sauce jars, wooden cooking utensils, wooden shoes, wooden hats. Very good for the environment.
That was simply interesting. I never thought about wooden jars before. I had a look and they are quite common. The only problem is that you can see what's in the container in glass jars, which I really like.

Also I'm unsure if you can freeze a wooden jar containing excess pasta sauce or stew. So.....I tried to look it up.....and didn't find anything informative.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:27 am

You take some grape juice, put it in a large wooden jar, leave it alone for a while. Awesomesauce.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:18 am

Major Malfunction wrote:You take some grape juice, put it in a large wooden jar, leave it alone for a while. Awesomesauce.
:lol:

But I wouldn't want to store perishables in them. I'd think that much of the living grossness soaks into the wood without the disinfecting property of Awesomesauce.

Have no idea which material is environmentally most desirable but have to say I could discern a distinct difference in taste and very much prefer the neutral glass.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:32 am

Perhaps a better way to recycle glass is to return it, intact, give it a rinse, and fill it up again. You know. Like the milkman used to do a million years ago.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:53 am

scrmbldggs wrote:But I wouldn't want to store perishables in them. I'd think that much of the living grossness soaks into the wood without the disinfecting property of Awesomesauce.
Lord Nelson thought highly of wooded kegs for storage, so much so that he stayed in one on the trip back from Trafalgar. :mrgreen:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:But I wouldn't want to store perishables in them. I'd think that much of the living grossness soaks into the wood without the disinfecting property of Awesomesauce.
Lord Nelson thought highly of wooded kegs for storage, so much so that he stayed in one on the trip back from Trafalgar. :mrgreen:
Yeah, seems he was a pretty good home-maker after studying the science of pickling perishables for a while.

I hear his assistants were prone to do taste tests of the product, but that would be tapping into a myth. :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Post by octopus1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 pm

I use (and re-use) lidded plastic tubs. Mainly because they're damned convenient, but also because I like to be told how many different types of cancer I'll get for using them.

I'm thoroughly disappointed not to have developed Feline Leukemia after my last pasta sauce batch. Thoroughly disappointed. And after they promised! Lying bastards.

Anyway, I'm after contracting Hysterical Pneumonia right now, so I'll be burning rotten carrots in a sealed room for the next three days. Wish me luck!
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 am

octopus1 wrote:I use (and re-use) lidded plastic tubs. Mainly because they're damned convenient, but also because I like to be told how many different types of cancer I'll get for using them.

I'm thoroughly disappointed not to have developed Feline Leukemia after my last pasta sauce batch. Thoroughly disappointed. And after they promised! Lying bastards.

Anyway, I'm after contracting Hysterical Pneumonia right now, so I'll be burning rotten carrots in a sealed room for the next three days. Wish me luck!
I would imagine that you'd be most worried about Athlete's Foot. :D

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
octopus1 wrote:I use (and re-use) lidded plastic tubs. Mainly because they're damned convenient, but also because I like to be told how many different types of cancer I'll get for using them.

I would imagine that you'd be most worried about Athlete's Foot. :D
Nah. That's caused by cooking Coq Au Vin. And I'm not going to try that until next month. Although I have the cream ready - Forward planning, see. Never miss a trick!

My back itches though. According to "trusted" online sources, this is probably because I injected melted ghee into my spine. I can't remember doing that, but if they say it's true so persuasively, then it must have happened...

It's a leading cause of "spinal collapse syndrome" (a real thing...!) according to some tabloid newspapers anyway. So yeah. Must be extra careful in future not to intraveneously introduce liquid fats into my lumbar region. Apparently it's not recommended. Who'd-a thunk it!?

And here I've been snorting pig scrapins' for years and it's done me no harm no how, consarn it!

I blame the gum'mint.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 am

and what of catgut and water bladders?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 pm

kennyc wrote:and what of catgut and water bladders?
Mix them up with Spuckler's Unguent and you've a doozy of a pomade. You can buy them online. I can't remember the name of the site, but I searched Google for "McGregor's Patented Horse Nethers" and found a reputable supplier.

Simply apply to the affected area, and use your "Bing & Son. Electricity Vibrational Revitalizer" to speed things up.

I never use plastic with anything now. I prefer "Grandma Hosteen's Patent-Pending Transparent Joy-O-Film". It's coated with seven different kinds of goodness and will only give you an aneurysm if you stick it up your nose.

It's guaranteed to keep your 'moists, moist' and your 'dries, dry' - Whatever that means... :scratch:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Okay, how about plastiglass?

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Okay, how about plastiglass?
Too modern, not enough old fashioned traveling salesman gimmickry. If you're not wearing a filthy beige* suit when you're trying to sell me "Self Cleaning Omni-Protect" items - Then I simply can't trust you.

Basically, I only buy my kitchenware from transients, who display a mix of wretched opportunism mixed with poor "psychic" showmanship. It really is the only way to go.

*It doesn't have to be beige. It can be a plaid pattern in a very sickly shade of dark green. The intended effect remains untrammeled.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 am

kennyc wrote:and what of catgut and water bladders?
I assume we are not mentioning pottery because pottery jars needs to be fired and thus are as costly as glass jars.

I assume we are not mentioning stoneware as stoneware has to be "cut from stone" and thus also as costly as glass.

I like wood, but I don't think wood can be frozen. I like stone & ceramics but I can't see into the container. Therefore plastic and glass jars meet the "benchmarks" of what we need.

It seems to me, that plastic is the cheapest and most cost efficient and this chat really boils down to recycling, in which case I prefer glass.

Footman' exposes Tupperware secret of the Queen's table
"Of rather more surprise will be the fact that the royal cornflakes and porridge oats were present on the table in Tupperware containers".
Her Majesty.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.