This thread is going to save the world

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

This thread is going to save the world

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:51 am

Really. Nows the time for the skeptic community to thrive. We've spent years and years demeaning woo peddlers, mystics, pseudoscience, etc, but what are we promoting as a value system for the less intelligent populace to support and get behind based on our skeptical inquisitions about how the world, economics, politics, science, religion, etc, work? I feel that this should be of equal importance to arguing with the woo-meisters.

So I guess this is a meta thread about the other one I started that seemed to be well recieved (Your child asks you: What did you do to help save the world?).

What are the most prescient threats that we, as a global society of informed* humans face, in your opinion? And what do you think are the most important things we can do at this point in time to help solve these issues? If you don't know how to solve the issues please just state the most important issues we face anyway.

* Debatable
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: This thread is going to save the world

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:56 am

Unrestricted consumption of natural resources.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Misanthropy, exceptionalism,, abject conformity …… and national anthems.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:42 pm

And …. just an afterthought:
That "providing a link" will give heft , respectability and credibility to even the most errant human notion.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Unrestricted consumption of natural resources.
It's all very well for MIB like you to continue with their plan of world destruction of those annoying humans, you have those titanic underground bases you can reatreat to when the {!#%@} hits the fan. I'm watching you and your global plans closely, be warned.

The thing I am most interested in is alternative energy sources that are clean (whatever happened to the hydrogen fuel cell? it seemed to work yet I hear NOTHING about it) and also stragegies for controlling our population in a humain way. I actually think that China kind of got the population issue right in that regard, a pill that's going to be hard for the west to swallow in the future.

Also one of the best things to happen in recent days for the clean energy economy is Tesla Motors, frustrated about how they are not taken seriously by the corporate media and petrochemical industry, have recently taken the nearly unprecidented step (for a money making corporation) to revoke their patent on the electric car engine, and all other technologies they have patented around it, so any other company can come along and use the same technology without being liable. A huge step in the right direction.

What we need now is large scale charging facilities for them, and powerstations run only on the tears of polar bears.

Video: "Tesla Gives Away Patents to Public: Brilliant! "

[ytube][/ytube]
Last edited by zeuzzz on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:39 pm

And with that I think we've (I've) saved the world. This thread can probably be closed now. You can thank me later.