Do you like these new cutting edge genres in digital music

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Do you like these new cutting edge genres in digital music

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:13 am

There seems to been a remarkable trend in the good quality of most new digital music genres, I think now music production software can be got cheap, so we are essentially creating thousands of new producers everyday, even the majority are only youtube learn't from tutorials. I'll list a few of my favorite and what genre it is. It always just amazes me the different love or hate reactions this type of music gets. If you dislike see how long u can bear it :D Explain why you don't like it if you do. I think there will be a generation gap trend, so your age would be great too!

This is melodic dubstep (Braken - To the Stars)

[ytube][/ytube]

This is liquid drum and bass (B-Complex)

[ytube][/ytube]

This is liquid chill-step (Cillo)

[ytube][/ytube]

This is crazy over the top electro house with an orchestral part (J Waterman)

[ytube][/ytube]

This is melodic dubstep with piano (Kdrew)

[ytube][/ytube]

This is drum step (slower drum and bass) (Rusko - Everyday (Netsky Remix)

[ytube][/ytube]

Reactions?

Ta.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Re: Do you like these new cutting edge genres in digital mus

Post by octopus1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:46 pm

All but 2 and 5 reeked of "been there, done that". The same motifs, repeated not just ad nauseam without mercy within the same 6 minute songs - But entirely ripped from other songs that came before.

Rhythms were too strict. Very "square" and no rubato at all. Meme-ish remixing. If you've never heard a Madeon piece, you've heard them all just listening to that first remix :P

You mentioned the ubiquity of "home mixing" software. If they are as popular as they seem to be, then be fair warned for more of this entirely bland, 'no creative input needed' plagiarism.

Slow. Expository. Repetitive. Mimicking.

At 26, I get to be a grumpy old man so there! :lol:
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:54 pm

octopus1 wrote:At 26, I get to be a grumpy old man so there! :lol:
Man I'm 26 and still a student, following my 3 degrees in math chem and physics I took up music*.

Are you the sort of person who doesn't like the club scene or do u like this type of music in general, if it's original?

* A random part of that was a lie.

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:18 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
octopus1 wrote:At 26, I get to be a grumpy old man so there! :lol:
Man I'm 26 and still a student, following my 3 degrees in math chem and physics I took up music*.

Are you the sort of person who doesn't like the club scene or do u like this type of music in general, if it's original?

* A random part of that was a lie.
Still a student at 26?? Rush through some cobbled viva voce, become a doctor and get a job. You hippie! :P

I don't dislike the club scene. I missed a lot (Because I took my studies embarrassingly seriously :oops: )

Playing catch up means that I've got the wisdom of maturity (Such as it is!), and the idealism of the younger person. If I'm sober, I can be quite avuncular. Hand me a spliff, and I'm "down with tha kidz"!

Hand me a spliff and a drink, and I'm down. On the floor.

Yeah, I like music that is unpredictable, without being avant garde. Many Scandinavian composers working today are good at this. An element of orchestral splendor, mixed with the thrumming electricity of synth. Hydrophones, wall to wall!

Another good composer, of this type, is Alexandre Desplat. You won't hear him (un-remixed) on any club circuit, but it's just so spontaneous and original.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:57 pm

I think I know why you found number one annoying, as the ENTIRE way through they use the same 4 chord sequence that has been re-hased by every recent pop song in recent history. For a perfect example of this check out this tune, which is a comedy band taking the mick out of how common it is, by playing nearly every well known pop song one line at a time, and they all go together perfectly, as if even from the same song.

[ytube][/ytube]

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Number 4 includes rips from Carmina Burana.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 pm

No ones posting their age. Whats the matter? :P

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm 57, I'll see your modern digital music and raise you any given work by Wendy Carlos.

phpBB [video]
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I'm 57, I'll see your modern digital music and raise you any given work by Wendy Carlos.

phpBB [video]
Yes! My cousin now has a large 70s electric organ. Free-for-removal arrangement. And on a visit (His sister, my other cousin would you believe, was having her birthday) I tried to play the organ version of 'The Shining' but couldn't get the stops to work.

But this is what I butchered my way through. Deeply unsettling, atmospheric and never the like of which you'll hear again, unless it's a rip.

(If you're wondering why anyone would play the motif from a horror movie at someone's birthday party - They had gin.)

A coincidence, made twice as creepy by the very coincidence :P

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:37 am

zeuzzz wrote:No ones posting their age. Whats the matter? :P
The artistic variety of modern electronic music is somewhat defined by the quick changes of technology that have occurred since the 70s. In the 80's I owned an open reel 8 track recorder. I had to record a "synch track" on track 8 and this only drove a drum machine. I had 7 tracks left for real instruments like vocals & guitars. I was still thinking "old school" habits trying to imitate Brian Eno pop records.

By the late 80's I had a midi sequencer but still had separate keyboards and synthesizers. However I had to get all my old "analogue" synths "MIDI'd up". Real acoustic sounds took a back seat as "big samplers" were still expensive. I still had everything going through a 16/8/4 mixing desk. My old Korg Poly6 stopped working and a replacement would cost $1,500. My Yahama SY77 is no longer fixable. A replacement would cost $3,000

However, simultaneously, younger people were simply sampling existing records, with no attempt to generate new sounds themselves on synthesizers. They were constructing entire new albums from old sounds. [ytube][/ytube]

Nowdays I use "Reason 7". I have an infinite number of "real instrument tracks". I download "software clones" of classical analogue synthesizers. A Korg Poly 6 costs $40. A SY77 costs $40. Compressors and FX for my guitars and basses are all "onboard". I no longer need a mixing desk as I "sample" my external synths to the software and mix on a enormous virtual mixing desk.

What I think will happen is that there has been a gap in sound generation knowledge in the late 80s and 90s due to the excessive sampling trend in that period. There was also a drop in young people learning real electric guitars and basses. Therefore, I think it will be a whole new generation before we see really new sorts of sound generations re-entering popular music, as kiddies only again now "have knobs on synths" to play with again.