Will you go bravely into the then?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Will you go?

Give me a ticket!
78%
I prefer the now.
22%
I'm already booked for the Planet X'capade
No votes

Total votes: 9

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Re: Will you go bravely into the then?

Post by octopus1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm

That was Paul!
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Gord wrote:I'll stay here, I have leftover pizza in the fridge.
Reread the OP. Emotional attachments are vanquished. :)
I wouldn't want to live in such a world!!

/me hugs his pizza
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:09 am

Gord wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Gord wrote:I'll stay here, I have leftover pizza in the fridge.
Reread the OP. Emotional attachments are vanquished. :)
I wouldn't want to live in such a world!!

/me hugs his pizza

A pizza can fit into a cargo pocket. Now grab your gear and let's go.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12 am

Well, to start with, the premise of no emotional ties is impossible. At least to me, as I am very attached to my people, so no.

For arguments sakes would I go if we ignore that? No. Study a bit of history and you see golden ages never last. In 200 years we're probably down in a slump again. Not to mention that you wont be speaking the language. Who knows what the lingua franca is in 200 years? And so on. (Yes, I'm a practical kind of thinker)

But for the final "what I would bring with me" I dunno. A big harddrive with all my music and all the music I havent listened to yet but might want to check out. And a uranium powered device to play it off or something. Who knows what crap passes for music in 200 years?

I am curious as to the world might look like, but I'd settle for a video feed from the future. Or wikipedia anno 2214. I'm curious in the same way that I read about and are curious about the big african war in congo. I'm not about to book a flight to Goma though.

Peace
Dan

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 am

OutOfBreath wrote:Well, to start with, the premise of no emotional ties is impossible. At least to me, as I am very attached to my people, so no.

For arguments sakes would I go if we ignore that? No. Study a bit of history and you see golden ages never last. In 200 years we're probably down in a slump again. Not to mention that you wont be speaking the language. Who knows what the lingua franca is in 200 years? And so on. (Yes, I'm a practical kind of thinker)

But for the final "what I would bring with me" I dunno. A big harddrive with all my music and all the music I havent listened to yet but might want to check out. And a uranium powered device to play it off or something. Who knows what crap passes for music in 200 years?

I am curious as to the world might look like, but I'd settle for a video feed from the future. Or wikipedia anno 2214. I'm curious in the same way that I read about and are curious about the big african war in congo. I'm not about to book a flight to Goma though.

Peace
Dan

Yeah well, I bet it's not any of those things really, you're just afraid Lutefisk will be outlawed by then.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:16 am

In seriousness I'm more worried about the presence of good fish to eat at all. You know, as a green party member and all. ;)

Peace
Dan

What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:20 am

OutOfBreath wrote:In seriousness I'm more worried about the presence of good fish to eat at all. You know, as a green party member and all. ;)

Peace
Dan

Or anything.....could be Mad Max on Venus!
Kenny A. Chaffin

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:10 am

The thing about actual time travel iz that you dont know wich future youre going to land in unless you hav spesific control over that. Prisisly wen you leav and where you leav from can make a hyooj differens in wut you find wen you get there. leave at 6:59:33 pm April 1st frum 2661 w. Leland in Chicago and land in a rotting corps encrusted freezing radioactive wasteland. Leave a minute later and you coud find a paradise world thats part uv a galaxy wide civilization. Leave frum the Shwarama joint down the street and end up in a cat dominated jungle world.

But going into the future duznt nesuserily mean skipping out uv time and back in later. You can get the same effect Idiocracy style and be assured to stay on the same track. Naturally, that track iz influenst by your absens, but therez at least a reazonable chans that you and your possibl projeny were going to hav littl historical significans anyway.

Now, if you can travel crosstime az well az forward & backward...
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 am

OutOfBreath wrote:In seriousness I'm more worried about the presence of good fish to eat at all. You know, as a green party member and all. ;)
I'm not blinded by my optimism. I anticipate a next world war. I anticipate a nuclear one, matter of fact. I anticipate a mass die-off from one or more other natural or man-made forces as well. But we can't, won't, put knowledge back in its box. We may temporarily lose our technology, given its fragile nature, but we know what we know and folks are going to use it to better their position, and thereby better the position of all.

Will we go through all that and rebuild all this even better than it is now by then? I'm optimistic that we will. So maybe not blinded by my optimism, but I'll accept that I may be a bit far-sighted.

I picked 200 years because I don't anticipate language will change all that much. And culture won't be unrecognizable. How at home would a man from 1815 be in today's world? I suppose that depends on the man. Most would be giddy with the luxury if not somewhat miffed by our dependance on it. If nothing else, he'll be impressed with how swell we smell. Well, most of us anyway.

We'd certainly pay him handsomely to hear him speak.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
I'm not blinded by my optimism. I anticipate a next world war. I anticipate a nuclear one, matter of fact. I anticipate a mass die-off from one or more other natural or man-made forces as well. But we can't, won't, put knowledge back in its box. We may temporarily lose our technology, given its fragile nature, but we know what we know and folks are going to use it to better their position, and thereby better the position of all.

Will we go through all that and rebuild all this even better than it is now by then? I'm optimistic that we will. So maybe not blinded by my optimism, but I'll accept that I may be a bit far-sighted.

I picked 200 years because I don't anticipate language will change all that much. And culture won't be unrecognizable. How at home would a man from 1815 be in today's world? I suppose that depends on the man. Most would be giddy with the luxury if not somewhat miffed by our dependance on it. If nothing else, he'll be impressed with how swell we smell. Well, most of us anyway.

We'd certainly pay him handsomely to hear him speak.
I agree with the idea that we'd rebuild our society to either an equal, or better level, if some catastophe occurred (And assuming that we had the means to do so).

In the short run, we're quite good at "learning from past mistakes", even as we forget the lesson entirely, over a period of time.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Long, hard thought. Well, not really hard, but you have to say that, y'know?

I'm not going. I have things here I've started and I want to finish them. There's a big book on local history, and I'm not going to improve that by moving to a time when, in all probability, less evidence will exist. So hang around, Rob - make sure that it's not a once in a lifetime offer. As long as it's a regular bus, I may opt to go sometime in the future. But not just yet.

So I can't vote. Any conditional tickets?

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:28 am

octopus1 wrote:In the short run, we're quite good at "learning from past mistakes", even as we forget the lesson entirely, over a period of time.
No, we aren't az a group. The human race iz an imbisil.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 am

JO 753 wrote:
octopus1 wrote:In the short run, we're quite good at "learning from past mistakes", even as we forget the lesson entirely, over a period of time.
Tangent time. What's up with the new avatar? It's straight up terrifying!

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:26 am

octopus1 wrote:
JO 753 wrote:
Tangent time. What's up with the new avatar? It's straight up terrifying!

Yeah, I may have to put him back on ignore.....

:frown:
Kenny A. Chaffin

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Gubmint for us
not the rich.

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 pm

I expect that it'll be an acquired taste :P