Wifi Enabled Stapler

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Wifi Enabled Stapler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Yes, a wifi enabled stapler.

This will be my next project.

I'll start with a cheap Swingline model 545.

It's a cheap mostly plastic affair with a rubber boot for tabletop grip. Upon removing the boot I find there is more than sufficient room between the structural stabilizing ribs of the stapler foot to accommodate whatever electronics and power supply is necessary.

Imagine the possibilities?

A sensor that keeps track of how many staples remain in the carrier. It can send me an email telling me to refill as necessary. Another sensor might tell me of jams, a running count of pass/fail staple attempts, and possibly some sort of fail curve.

It can monitor my network such that when I print more than one page on any of my network printers, it can send me a message giving me it's current status and let me know it is standing by ready to do its duty. If I print too many pages, it can give me a statistical probability of being up to the stapling task.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Re: Wifi Enabled Stapler

Post by SweetPea » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Where will the clock go?
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Might I suggest a rubber mallet on a swing arm, and a spot set up to the printer, so when your printing is done, the mallet would smack the stapler with just enough force. You could have printed and stapled documents without having to do any manual labor at all.

We're going to be rich!

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:43 pm

World changing. Nothing less.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:46 pm

fromthehills wrote:Might I suggest a rubber mallet on a swing arm, and a spot set up to the printer, so when your printing is done, the mallet would smack the stapler with just enough force. You could have printed and stapled documents without having to do any manual labor at all.

We're going to be rich!
With voice synthesizer and speaker, it can tell you when it is running low on staples, jammed up, or just feeling a little depressed right now.

Anybody else recalling the toaster on Red Dwarf?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Perfect, I hate it when mine runs out of staples.

You think you could have it order them to be delivered by Amazon drone?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:58 am

In the 80's when "post modern" architecture was all the rave, an Australian magazine, The Bulletin, had a cardboard insert. On the insert was a foldable pink pyramid for your stapler. It was very tongue in cheek.

I reckon you could make money, not by making Wifi staplers but making "Wifi stapler conversion kits" ( as a joke gift) and simply approaching a "gizmo" manufacturer/ distributor at the Nuremberg Toy fair. Sell a million of those, at $1 per unit copyright fee and retire.

He realized their marketing potential, and after purchasing rights to the product in 1983 for $5,000,[1] he began to market them locally in Washington, D.C., dubbing them "Wacky WallWalkers". Their popularity was mediocre, until Nina Hyde of The Washington Post wrote a feature story on them. This created a buzz, and people in the Washington area flooded local stores to purchase them. Within the next several months, hundreds of media outlets ran stories on them, creating one of the biggest selling fads of all time. As the fad began to decline, over 240 million Wacky WallWalkers had been sold, raking in about 80 million dollars

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:11 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Anybody else recalling the toaster on Red Dwarf?

Yup.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 am

Next up: the shoe phone!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:22 am

kennyc wrote:Perfect, I hate it when mine runs out of staples.

You think you could have it order them to be delivered by Amazon drone?
That'd be amazing. We wouldn't even have to bother with living at all at this rate. The world would gizmo on without us.

Peace
Dan

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:52 am

In the old days when I worked for accounting firms on "the wrong side of the tracks" I always took my Marbig Flick Stapler for personal protection.
Flick Stapler.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.