Why do trolls troll?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why do trolls troll?

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:there are a couple dozen people who post 99% of this site . I am guessing a troll is someone who posts stuff they don't like ?
For this specific forum, it could be said that a larger portion of the members enjoy reading the odd and strange posts of "newbies" and "outsiders" who make weird and bizarre claims. When no outsider is currently posting strange posts, the same members hunt down weird people and link their strange thoughts here for discussion.

This is simply because Michael Shermer, one of our hosts, from the Skeptic Society authored a rather interesting book " Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time"

http://www.amazon.com/People-Believe-We ... 0805070893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Shermer's book, our forum motto (see the banner title above) and our host, the Skeptic Society, has sort of established the character of this forum. Although there is a lot of "just mucking about" conversations going on (and a lot of bad humour), most members, generally work under this umbrella. People like Norma want to turn the forum into a cooking and gossip forum and have no interest in engaging with the "newbie weirdos". They want to make the forum like a normal "chat" forum, which would simply kill off this forum's unique character. There are only about ten or so forums like this. If people only want to talk about cooking they should go to a cooking forum and leave this forum to do its own thing.

I must admit that despite everyone coming from different countries, different backgrounds and different political views, most people here seem to get along quite well, which is quite pleasant and makes this forum enjoyable and informative.
Lets see:

What Are You Reading
What Are You Listening To
What Are You Watching
Good/Bad New Moviez

Are all good threads that are part of the community, but

What Are You Cooking Tonight

would simply kill off this forum's unique character.

:scratch:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:there are a couple dozen people who post 99% of this site . I am guessing a troll is someone who posts stuff they don't like ?
For this specific forum, it could be said that a larger portion of the members enjoy reading the odd and strange posts of "newbies" and "outsiders" who make weird and bizarre claims. When no outsider is currently posting strange posts, the same members hunt down weird people and link their strange thoughts here for discussion.

This is simply because Michael Shermer, one of our hosts, from the Skeptic Society authored a rather interesting book " Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time"

http://www.amazon.com/People-Believe-We ... 0805070893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Shermer's book, our forum motto (see the banner title above) and our host, the Skeptic Society, has sort of established the character of this forum. Although there is a lot of "just mucking about" conversations going on (and a lot of bad humour), most members, generally work under this umbrella. People like Norma want to turn the forum into a cooking and gossip forum and have no interest in engaging with the "newbie weirdos". They want to make the forum like a normal "chat" forum, which would simply kill off this forum's unique character. There are only about ten or so forums like this. If people only want to talk about cooking they should go to a cooking forum and leave this forum to do its own thing.

I must admit that despite everyone coming from different countries, different backgrounds and different political views, most people here seem to get along quite well, which is quite pleasant and makes this forum enjoyable and informative.
Emphasis is, of course, mine…
Matthew has finally said something both truthful AND accurate…. I certainly do not wish to engage with weirdos…
There is enough engaging with ostensibly (but questionably) rational claimants to skepticism as it is.
And I think the infusion of "weirdos" here (people who want to argue the existence of fairies) is directly related to the hysteria and inaccuracies exhibited by participants LIKE Mattbew Ellard., himself.
My opinion, of course… which I still feel free to offer.
As well as that there is nothing to be gained by using the handicapped to make oneself feel, by default, either mentally healthy, better educated, or wise.
It is not fruitful for the Forum, and it most certainly hasn't paid off for those participants who engage in the bizarre enterprises.

Can anyone tell the difference between the "information" and the questionable enterprise of the Holocaust deniers, and those whose pointless screaming has given the deniers the feeling that they have both fact AND sanity on their side?
The example of Matthew Ellard reduced to yelling "STUPID" at Holocaust deniers while allowing them to think of themselves as competent historians by his presence here does come to mind.

And if one DOES indeed depend on that, one is (by my lights) severely handicapped himself.

And while I'm at it… I 'm not much of a cook myself, and it is unlikely that I would choose a cooking column with which to begin a "journalistic" career.
My own kitchen has been closed for twenty years.
I do however, love both travel and actual socializing with tangible human beings… which includes ethnic foods AND eating, almost always with others…… hardly anything to apologize for.
So I'm unlikely to do so.

Norma Manna Blum

P.S. The kissing up to Michael Shermer, something that seems to be a unique Matthewism, is simply an embarrassing exercise in futility.
Shermer has never posted here, not once…. and there is no indication whatever that he has ever read a single contribution.
So the apple polishing and fanny smooching, both questionable occupations, are double wasted here.
Shermer does however, contribute to another Forum concerned with science and religion.
He posts there almost every day, and often more than once.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Post by octopus1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 pm

nmblum wrote: Emphasis is, of course, mine…
Matthew has finally said something both truthful AND accurate…. I certainly do not wish to engage with weirdos…
There is enough engaging with ostensibly (but questionably) rational claimants to skepticism as it is.
And I think the infusion of "weirdos" here (people who want to argue the existence of fairies) is directly related to the hysteria and inaccuracies exhibited by participants LIKE Mattbew Ellard., himself.
My opinion, of course… which I still feel free to offer.
As well as that there is nothing to be gained by using the handicapped to make oneself feel, by default, either mentally healthy, better educated, or wise.
It is not fruitful for the Forum, and it most certainly hasn't paid off for those participants who engage in the bizarre enterprises.

Can anyone tell the difference between the "information" and the questionable enterprise of the Holocaust deniers, and those whose pointless screaming has given the deniers the feeling that they have both fact AND sanity on their side?
The example of Matthew Ellard reduced to yelling "STUPID" at Holocaust deniers while allowing them to think of themselves as competent historians by his presence here does come to mind.

And if one DOES indeed depend on that, one is (by my lights) severely handicapped himself.

And while I'm at it… I 'm not much of a cook myself, and it is unlikely that I would choose a cooking column with which to begin a "journalistic" career.
My own kitchen has been closed for twenty years.
I do however, love both travel and actual socializing with tangible human beings… which includes ethnic foods AND eating, almost always with others…… hardly anything to apologize for.
So I'm unlikely to do so.

Norma Manna Blum

P.S. The kissing up to Michael Shermer, something that seems to be a unique Matthewism, is simply an embarrassing exercise in futility.
Shermer has never posted here, not once…. and there is no indication whatever that he has ever read a single contribution.
So the apple polishing and fanny smooching, both questionable occupations, are double wasted here.
Shermer does however, contribute to another Forum concerned with science and religion.
He posts there almost every day, and often more than once.

Norma Manna Blum
With respect, "shouting at people" and "engaging with them" are not the same thing. An easy mistake to make, I suppose.

Your approach to an issue, which effectively involves little more than CAPS LOCK and bitterness, doesn't always work. It seems like it should, but it doesn't. You're a smart cookie, Norma (No sarcasm there at all). But you ruin it on keyboard pounding anger, and cheap attacks.

I do believe that you're capable of wit. Now use it.

[EDIT: Spelling error]
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:38 pm

nmblum wrote: Matthew has finally said something both truthful AND accurate…. I certainly do not wish to engage with weirdos…
But no one cares about you. We are doing our "own thing". This is not your forum.
nmblum wrote: And I think the infusion of "weirdos" here (people who want to argue the existence of fairies) is directly related to the hysteria and inaccuracies exhibited by participants LIKE Mattbew Ellard., himself.
No, Norma. People don't know I exist until they start posting here. You are just stupid for even thinking I personally, am attracting people here. How could I?
nmblum wrote:Can anyone tell the difference between the "information" and the questionable enterprise of the Holocaust deniers, and those whose pointless screaming has given the deniers the feeling that they have both fact AND sanity on their side?
Norma, you don't read the holocaust denial forum and you haven't got a clue what is going on in that sub forum. You are simply making opinions on things you don't even read.....just like the holocaust deniers.....
nmblum wrote:P.S. The kissing up to Michael Shermer, something that seems to be a unique Matthewism, is simply an embarrassing exercise in futility.
I donate $100 to the Society each year. I once received a thank you letter from Michael Shermer. I make fun of Michael Shermer, Pyrrho, Gord, Gawdzilla, Major Malfunction and everyone else on this forum because its fun. Where is your example of me "sucking up"?

Norma, you are an 84 year old frustrated woman, who posts on Jewniverse about how kosher your kids should be. You want to talk about cooking, your card games and post Simon & Garfunkel film clips all day. You only post here because you get attention on a small forum by acting like a complaining old fogey.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:46 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote: Lets see:

What Are You Reading
What Are You Watching
Good/Bad New Moviez

According to Norma, the forum is already suffering even with these existing community threads and therefore more must be introduced. Perhaps these existing threads are actually the cause of Norma's grieving about a lack of skepticism occurring on the forum. Perhaps Norma should actually try respond to some of the newbie claims in the skeptic subforums for once in her life before opening her mouth and making a noise.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: eugenics never stopped

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:37 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote: Lets see:

What Are You Reading
What Are You Watching
Good/Bad New Moviez

According to Norma, the forum is already suffering even with these existing community threads and therefore more must be introduced. Perhaps these existing threads are actually the cause of Norma's grieving about a lack of skepticism occurring on the forum. Perhaps Norma should actually try respond to some of the newbie claims in the skeptic subforums for once in her life before opening her mouth and making a noise.
could you list some of these newbie claims normal should respond to ?

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:01 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: People like Norma want to turn the forum into a cooking and gossip forum ...
If you need to know what people are cooking just check out the global warming discussion over at

http://www.skepticforum.com/global.warm ... #694206942

[link is relative to op's interests]
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote: could you list some of these newbie claims normal should respond to ?
I assume you mean "Norma should respond to.." rather than "Normal should respond to" Is that correct?

You do realise this is a skeptic forum, don't you?

What do you think the Forum's motto means "promoting science and critical thinking"?

Do you think its about cooking recipes, frustrated housewives and listening to mad people who don't want to get better?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:53 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote: could you list some of these newbie claims normal should respond to ?
I assume you mean "Norma should respond to.." rather than "Normal should respond to" Is that correct?
Why are typographical and/or spelling errors relevant? Are you attempting to make Pias look foolish, and therebye derailing the discussion into personal attacks?

What do you think the Forum's motto means "promoting science and critical thinking"?

Do you think its about cooking recipes, frustrated housewives and listening to mad people who don't want to get better?
The forum creators seem to think so.

How does pushing your personal vendetta against a poster you personally dislike promote science and critical thinking? Can you come up with even one way?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 pm

:pc:

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:28 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Why are typographical and/or spelling errors relevant? Are you attempting to make Pias look foolish, and therebye derailing the discussion into personal attacks?

How does pushing your personal vendetta against a poster you personally dislike promote science and critical thinking? Can you come up with even one way?

norma / normal oops fraudian slip :burn:

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

norma / normal oops fraudian slip :burn:
Fraudian sli... never mind :P

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 pm

octopus1 wrote::pc:
:wave:

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:20 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
:wave:
I finished the popcorn too quickly :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:13 am

OlegTheBatty wrote: Why are typographical and/or spelling errors relevant? Are you attempting to make Pias look foolish, and therebye derailing the discussion into personal attacks?
Frankly because PIAS has many statements that mix up words including the word "Normal" and I was checking what he said. You got a problem with that?
OlegTheBatty wrote:How does pushing your personal vendetta against a poster you personally dislike promote science and critical thinking? Can you come up with even one way?
Have you noticed that I only respond to attacks from Norma. I don't initiate them as she is very boring. I made the "critical thinking" comment to Norma years ago, that she should just put me on "ignore". She has the vendetta and simply keeps attacking, so I shred her for fun.

Do you agree with Norma that the forum is now "moribund" and that new subforums "Whatcha Cooking', How and With What" and "Advice to the Loveless and Lovelorn:" will somehow achieve Norma's goal?

"Which is EXACTLY why one (that's me) yearns for the return of the Skeptic Forum in its original goal of exploring skepticism

Or do you think these concepts may be in conflict with each other? Do you think I was "out of line" for pointing this conflict in Norma's posts, up on a skeptic forum?
:D

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:26 am

8 bucks for a large coke and large popcorn - I ask for the heart attack special

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:28 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
8 bucks for a large coke and large popcorn - I ask for the heart attack special
It was $18 here, last time I went. Eighteen friggin' dollars! And they complain that they aren't getting enough business....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:53 am

I find that it's cheaper to smuggle sandwiches about my person, and whistle nonchalantly as I'm going in. If they catch you "packing", you have to run. I think they have armed attack dogs these days.

"Welcome to The Cinema. Greatest Show on Earth, etc. etc. Now show passport and prepare for cavity search - Or we won't let you watch the latest Michael Bay crap..."

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:48 am

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... pathy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba--
w00t

Alma mater thingy!
--and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to overplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet.

...Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote. “Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!”
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:59 am

Gord wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... pathy.html
...research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba--
w00t

Alma mater thingy!
--and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to overplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet.

...Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote. “Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!”
When I've "trolled" on Grand Theft Auto multiplayer - It has, I'm very glad to say, not been as a result of suffering any of the traits of the "dark tetrad". It has usually been the result of crashing into walls and/or traffic and deciding to 'screw it' and have fun in more creative ways.

Or it's been the result of other players taking themselves too seriously. And offensively - "stfu fag! I AM KING OF THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is generally the go-ahead to the unrelenting and adscititious ramming of that person's car. Until I'm removed from the game.

Then there are those "trolls" who do take things to a personal and upsetting level. I think we used to call them "bullies", but then different words to describe different situations stopped being cool, so now we use a small number of umbrella terms.

So if I were ever called a "troll" in 2014, I'd be left scratching my head as to whether to simply respond with a " ;) " or respond with a very long and humble letter of apology. Because up is down and blue is green and horse is magic, now.

And if you disagree with me Gord, I will call you a "troll" :shock:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:03 pm

octopus1 wrote:adscititious
"Forming an addition or supplement; not integral."
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:26 am

Gord wrote:
octopus1 wrote:adscititious
"Forming an addition or supplement; not integral."
Quite. Ramming other players is not an integral part of the race. It is my own childish "I'm-comin'-to-get-ya" addition to the stated goals of passing through huge yellow checkpoints to the finish line.

;)