Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Oh lord Norma... are you still prattling on?
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Daedalus wrote:Oh lord Norma... are you still prattling on?
No.

(But I do appreciate the wit in your latest response.)

And of course, I I have noticed that you are still desperately trying to get a date.
And where there is even an iota of life, (such as evinced by your own prattle) there is hope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkoSPqjaU4


Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:16 pm

nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Oh lord Norma... are you still prattling on?
No.

(But I do appreciate the wit in your latest response.)

And of course, I I have noticed that you are still desperately trying to get a date.
And where there is even an iota of life, (such as evinced by your own prattle) there is hope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkoSPqjaU4


Norma Manna Blum
:roll:
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Oh lord Norma... are you still prattling on?
No.

(But I do appreciate the wit in your latest response.)

And of course, I I have noticed that you are still desperately trying to get a date.
And where there is even an iota of life, (such as evinced by your own prattle) there is hope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkoSPqjaU4


Norma Manna Blum
:roll:
What?
No "Die, shithead, Die!?"
Is this a sign of a new Daedalus?
But if not.. just hold the cursing until I get home from work this afternoon.
And enjoy the safety of your cage... one DOES worry about you: after all you are more human than you are anything else.

Norma Manna Blum
P.S. And I'm sure you are laughing...
You self-deprecating humor is well known here.. you are in fact as famous for it as your are for your case of Tourette's Syndrome.
But.. fare thee well for the nonce: honest labor (and lack of trust fund, or disability payments) calls.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:35 pm

JO 753 wrote:I red sum uv the Burzynski topic and you seemed to alredy be angry with z. I'm not exactly overloaded with free time, so coud wun uv you direct me to the plase where thingz frst went sour?
It's kind of vague as far as I can tell
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34824
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Gord » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:31 pm

JO 753 wrote:I red sum uv the Burzynski topic and you seemed to alredy be angry with z. I'm not exactly overloaded with free time, so coud wun uv you direct me to the plase where thingz frst went sour?
Start here: http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=20485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zeuzzz wrote:It's kind of vague as far as I can tell
:heh:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:11 pm

nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Oh lord Norma... are you still prattling on?
No.

(But I do appreciate the wit in your latest response.)

And of course, I I have noticed that you are still desperately trying to get a date.
And where there is even an iota of life, (such as evinced by your own prattle) there is hope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkoSPqjaU4


Norma Manna Blum
:roll:
What?
No "Die, shithead, Die!?"
Is this a sign of a new Daedalus?
But if not.. just hold the cursing until I get home from work this afternoon.
And enjoy the safety of your cage... one DOES worry about you: after all you are more human than you are anything else.

Norma Manna Blum
P.S. And I'm sure you are laughing...
You self-deprecating humor is well known here.. you are in fact as famous for it as your are for your case of Tourette's Syndrome.
But.. fare thee well for the nonce: honest labor (and lack of trust fund, or disability payments) calls.

NMB
When have I ever cursed at you dear? You don't inspire anything like anger or dislike in me, just a kind of morbid fascination.

Still, I appreciate your continued scattergun-esque attempts to find something to hit home with (finding a date, honest labor, etc...) and can only say again... swing, miss. Try again!
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14497
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Iz English your nativ language, zeuzzz?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14497
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:27 am

Tryd to sine up to JREF just to verify your story, zeuzzz. Seemed to go fine, just needed to get approval frum the modz. Got an 'account removed' email notis today. Like you sed, sez sumthing about missing info.

I agree with you on this. Kicking you out iz kinda dum. Like sumwun woud uze a public forum to run a jrug dealing bizness! Lots uv forum modz take their job a little too seriously.

The thing that bugz me about sum forumz, blogz, newz websites etc, iz that if they suspect that you maybe mite possibly sumhow make a penny by posting sumthing, they jump all over your ass!

sum yirz ago, I think it wuz a Micheal Jackson perv trial, they were interviewing the jurorz after the verdict & wun uv them wuz offering a DVD or sum such thing he made about it and Nancy Grace, with a look uv disgust chastized him for trying to profit off uv the situation! I jiveth ye not, she went on to decry hiz 'crass attempt to commercialize' with her fellow million dollar talking hedz!

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34824
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:06 pm

JO 753 wrote:I agree with you on this. Kicking you out iz kinda dum. Like sumwun woud uze a public forum to run a jrug dealing bizness! Lots uv forum modz take their job a little too seriously.
It's called protecting yourself from litigation, and whether anyone likes it or not, it was in the sign-up agreement. When you're told by the rules you agreed to when you signed up "don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it" and then you do it, you deserve censure.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 pm

JO 753 wrote:Tryd to sine up to JREF just to verify your story, zeuzzz. Seemed to go fine, just needed to get approval frum the modz. Got an 'account removed' email notis today. Like you sed, sez sumthing about missing info.

I agree with you on this. Kicking you out iz kinda dum. Like sumwun woud uze a public forum to run a jrug dealing bizness! Lots uv forum modz take their job a little too seriously.
Exactly, happens to me everytime, it says lisa simpson is reviewing my application, then fail, even for some 20 people I got to try to sign up from facebook groups.

JREF forum is closed for all dissenting (and like-minded) viewpoints it seems.
Last edited by zeuzzz on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:It's called protecting yourself from litigation, and whether anyone likes it or not, it was in the sign-up agreement. When you're told by the rules you agreed to when you signed up "don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it" and then you do it, you deserve censure.
We've been over this, I didn't actually break any rules, as what I did was legal. Theres flipping sign next to the camp that says "ayahusaca clinic" ffs!
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:I agree with you on this. Kicking you out iz kinda dum. Like sumwun woud uze a public forum to run a jrug dealing bizness! Lots uv forum modz take their job a little too seriously.
It's called protecting yourself from litigation, and whether anyone likes it or not, it was in the sign-up agreement. When you're told by the rules you agreed to when you signed up "don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it" and then you do it, you deserve censure.
He won't accept what you're saying, not because it's hard to understand or you're wrong... he just doesn't want to.

You can't reason with someone who doesn't want to be reasonable. Much the same is going on over in the Burzynski thread... even confronted with a litany of evidence indicating that Burzynski is a fraud, he WANTS to believe that Burzynski is something to support his notions about "big pharma". He cares far more about that, than saaaaay... the lives of cancer patients.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Apart from that's a total misrepresentation of how the Buriuzinski thread has panned out
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:45 pm

JO 753 wrote:Iz English your nativ language, zeuzzz?
Yeah 'tis
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34824
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:20 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Gord wrote:It's called protecting yourself from litigation, and whether anyone likes it or not, it was in the sign-up agreement. When you're told by the rules you agreed to when you signed up "don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it" and then you do it, you deserve censure.
We've been over this, I didn't actually break any rules....
Yes you did.

Everyone but you think so. Why do you think that is? Could it be that you're simply blind to your own actions?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Gord wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:
Gord wrote:It's called protecting yourself from litigation, and whether anyone likes it or not, it was in the sign-up agreement. When you're told by the rules you agreed to when you signed up "don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it" and then you do it, you deserve censure.
We've been over this, I didn't actually break any rules....
Yes you did.

Everyone but you think so. Why do you think that is? Could it be that you're simply blind to your own actions?
He's probably just to burned out from drugs to understand or care.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14497
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by JO 753 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:32 am

zeuzzz wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Iz English your nativ language, zeuzzz?
Yeah 'tis
I woud hav gessed Portugese after reading your blog. Your grammar iz a little off.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 am

JO 753 wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Iz English your nativ language, zeuzzz?
Yeah 'tis
I woud hav gessed Portugese after reading your blog. Your grammar iz a little off.
:heh:
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:53 pm

JO 753 wrote:I woud hav gessed Portugese after reading your blog. Your grammar iz a little off.
Says the blue alien who's native language appears to literally be from another planet :P
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Can't I stop this damn thread its serving no purpose anymore! Still ignoring people is stupid, we should be dissolving boundaries not maintaining them, in this day and age.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14497
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by JO 753 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:27 pm

An odd thing to say, z. Your orijinl motiv for this thred wuz a call for attention.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:54 pm

JO 753 wrote:An odd thing to say, z. Your orijinl motiv for this thred wuz a call for attention.
Yeah twas, and thanks, but I don't think that it was a call to attention, more a positive spin to put on things not usually discussed.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Kaepora Gaebora » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:57 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
JO 753 wrote:An odd thing to say, z. Your orijinl motiv for this thred wuz a call for attention.
Yeah twas, and thanks, but I don't think that it was a call to attention, more a positive spin to put on things not usually discussed.
It occurred to a lot of people as a big whine, like your JREF banning thread.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Whining is a right too ya know!
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11961
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:33 pm

"The right to freedom of speech does not include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert Humphrey
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:53 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:"The right to freedom of speech does not include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert Humphrey
But Oleg-Not-At-All-Batty: Hubert was so little respected (he publicly cursed the anti-war demonstrators at the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago) that he gave us, by default, the odious, the dangerous and destructive Richard Nixon from whose abuses of the Constitution we have never quite recovered.

So Humphrey, quotable wisdoms aside, was in the end, a rather tragic figure, personally and in his role as the inheritor of the mantle of American populism, and the liberal tradition.
There is nothing in these exchanges that approaches tragedy, the original plaintiff doesn't have anything approaching a case, unless trivia can be considered a case.
In fact they aren't even comedy…
Not even worth the paper they aren't printed on.
But he DOES have as much right as anyone else here, me and thee, to make a fool of himself…
As well as to manage to get the attention that all human beings… all of us… seem to be unable to function without.

Norma
Last edited by nmblum88 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Aztexan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:56 pm

zeuzzz wrote:Whining is a right too ya know!
So is remaining silent. :P
trump is Putin's bitch

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Aztexan wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:Whining is a right too ya know!
So is remaining silent. :P
Not to be bruited about, apparently; Michael Shermer didn't invest in this Forum for the sound of silence.
And if everyone of us got the message, we wouldn't even know the others existed.
I would miss you, particularly, Ruben…. clever poetry and quick wit are not so easily available in the course of the diurnal grind.
Forums where we are all allowed to be as noisy as we wish make distractions available, and CLEARLY offer some pleasure!
Or who would be here?
Norma
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11961
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:34 pm

nmblum wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:"The right to freedom of speech does not include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert Humphrey
But Oleg-Not-At-All-Batty: Hubert was so little respected (he publicly cursed the anti-war demonstrators at the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago) that he gave us, by default, the odious, the dangerous and destructive Richard Nixon from whose abuses of the Constitution we have never quite recovered.

So Humphrey, quotable wisdoms aside, was in the end, a rather tragic figure, personally and in his role as the inheritor of the mantle of American populism, and the liberal tradition.
There is nothing in these exchanges that approaches tragedy, the original plaintiff doesn't have anything approaching a case, unless trivia can be considered a case.
In fact they aren't even comedy…
Not even worth the paper they aren't printed on.
But he DOES have as much right as anyone else here, me and thee, to make a fool of himself…
As well as to manage to get the attention that all human beings… all of us… seem to be unable to function without.

Norma
Perhaps Hubie's comment was self-referential. Who, then, better to bring a little closer to earth those who tend to raise their importance a bit higher than their accomplishments would merit.

If it starts looking a bit cloudy around MY head, kick the chair out, will ya?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:43 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:"The right to freedom of speech does not include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert Humphrey
But Oleg-Not-At-All-Batty: Hubert was so little respected (he publicly cursed the anti-war demonstrators at the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago) that he gave us, by default, the odious, the dangerous and destructive Richard Nixon from whose abuses of the Constitution we have never quite recovered.

So Humphrey, quotable wisdoms aside, was in the end, a rather tragic figure, personally and in his role as the inheritor of the mantle of American populism, and the liberal tradition.
There is nothing in these exchanges that approaches tragedy, the original plaintiff doesn't have anything approaching a case, unless trivia can be considered a case.
In fact they aren't even comedy…
Not even worth the paper they aren't printed on.
But he DOES have as much right as anyone else here, me and thee, to make a fool of himself…
As well as to manage to get the attention that all human beings… all of us… seem to be unable to function without.

Norma
Perhaps Hubie's comment was self-referential. Who, then, better to bring a little closer to earth those who tend to raise their importance a bit higher than their accomplishments would merit.

If it starts looking a bit cloudy around MY head, kick the chair out, will ya?
Not my job, man.
Neither a kicker nor a kickee be, say I.
A man is allowed to have an ego, opinions, and a few cloudy moments without having to be beaten up for them.
Although ….there is no such thing as an entirely free ride; some retribution is inevitable.
Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11961
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:48 pm

nmblum wrote:Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Babbling incoherently to oneself is a great way to discourage the panhandlers from pestering one for spare change.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Babbling incoherently to oneself is a great way to discourage the panhandlers from pestering one for spare change.
A heavy price to pay for a lack of generosity on your part.
My thought: someone who really needs something from you should have it (within reason of course.. no giving away your birthright, your fortune, your wife, or your computer) and the dishonest one is STILL never going to be YOU.
Because "pan handling" is a lousy, ill paid, job… it is humiliating and takes a man's dignity from him.
My Aunt Bessie believed that anyone who asked for coins, including the legless guy on our corner, was actually the owner of an Upper East Side town house, a five car garage filled with Cadillacs, and a Swiss bank account.
I didn't care when she informed me of those facts, and I don't care now: I don't want to BE a panhandler and would probably die before asking a stranger for money… or even help of any kind.
I'm embarrassed when a man gets up to give me his seat on a train.
Oleg, promise me…. you are a nice guy!!… that you will from now on carry quarters to give to whomever asks for one…even two.
It's not really charity.. it's "there but for the grace of luck or whatever, go I."
Why would you believe Hubert Humphrey and not me?
Norma
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:11 am

Aztexan wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:Whining is a right too ya know!
So is remaining silent. :P
So too is ignoring someone when they whine... and the circle zeuzzz began is complete, with him whining and me no longer able to see it.

Om mani padme hum.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11961
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 am

nmblum wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Babbling incoherently to oneself is a great way to discourage the panhandlers from pestering one for spare change.
A heavy price to pay for a lack of generosity on your part.
My thought: someone who really needs something from you should have it (within reason of course.. no giving away your birthright, your fortune, your wife, or your computer) and the dishonest one is STILL never going to be YOU.
Because "pan handling" is a lousy, ill paid, job… it is humiliating and takes a man's dignity from him.
My Aunt Bessie believed that anyone who asked for coins, including the legless guy on our corner, was actually the owner of an Upper East Side town house, a five car garage filled with Cadillacs, and a Swiss bank account.
I didn't care when she informed me of those facts, and I don't care now: I don't want to BE a panhandler and would probably die before asking a stranger for money… or even help of any kind.
I'm embarrassed when a man gets up to give me his seat on a train.
Oleg, promise me…. you are a nice guy!!… that you will from now on carry quarters to give to whomever asks for one…even two.
It's not really charity.. it's "there but for the grace of luck or whatever, go I."
Why would you believe Hubert Humphrey and not me?
Norma
Surely you're not . . . Norma, you're not taking me too seriously, are you? :shock:

Most of the panhandlers I encounter around here are addicts of one sort or another, who are looking for some help with the next dose. Sometimes I help out a bit because I know the alternative is shoplifiting or sex trade, not abstinence.

Dogs and cats like me.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Babbling incoherently to oneself is a great way to discourage the panhandlers from pestering one for spare change.
A heavy price to pay for a lack of generosity on your part.
My thought: someone who really needs something from you should have it (within reason of course.. no giving away your birthright, your fortune, your wife, or your computer) and the dishonest one is STILL never going to be YOU.
Because "pan handling" is a lousy, ill paid, job… it is humiliating and takes a man's dignity from him.
My Aunt Bessie believed that anyone who asked for coins, including the legless guy on our corner, was actually the owner of an Upper East Side town house, a five car garage filled with Cadillacs, and a Swiss bank account.
I didn't care when she informed me of those facts, and I don't care now: I don't want to BE a panhandler and would probably die before asking a stranger for money… or even help of any kind.
I'm embarrassed when a man gets up to give me his seat on a train.
Oleg, promise me…. you are a nice guy!!… that you will from now on carry quarters to give to whomever asks for one…even two.
It's not really charity.. it's "there but for the grace of luck or whatever, go I."
Why would you believe Hubert Humphrey and not me?
Norma
Surely you're not . . . Norma, you're not taking me too seriously, are you? :shock:

Most of the panhandlers I encounter around here are addicts of one sort or another, who are looking for some help with the next dose. Sometimes I help out a bit because I know the alternative is shoplifiting or sex trade, not abstinence.

Dogs and cats like me.
Forget dogs and cats…. they have no real discrimination and think only of dog biscuit treats.
More to the point, I like you.
But I take seriously everything I read here….
And how, without little nodding yellow balls, can I tell what is solemn and what can be dismissed as joking?
Seriously? I have no doubt that you are thoughtful and generous.
I shouldn't have said what I did…. it was uncalled for, especially as I didn't use the little nodding yellow balls.
But they were THERE!
In spirit.
And spirit, the ephemeral, so often goes unnoticed, or is quite rightly taken as goofy.
Thanks for your patience and good humor.

Norma
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator
Location: My own little world

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:54 am

nmblum wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Babbling incoherently to oneself is a great way to discourage the panhandlers from pestering one for spare change.
A heavy price to pay for a lack of generosity on your part.
Often true jems flow thru you. :D

I do wonder at the direction of the thread, however. But I suppose if a topic must 'go off', then this is the best thread for it.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:32 am

Rob Lister wrote:
nmblum wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Babbling incoherently to oneself is a great way to discourage the panhandlers from pestering one for spare change.
A heavy price to pay for a lack of generosity on your part.
Often true jems flow thru you. :D

I do wonder at the direction of the thread, however. But I suppose if a topic must 'go off', then this is the best thread for it.
Tell the truth!
Did you ever give a tinker's damn who Daedalus does or doesn't ignore ?
Or why?
Or for that matter who is and who isn't ignored by whom?

Think of this as a grab bag thread where fun chatter can be exchanged among people who have no animosity toward one another and like having fun as well as delving into the serious where and when it comes up.
Man does not live by curses, warning and pointless threats alone.

Norma
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:34 am

Rob Lister wrote: I do wonder at the direction of the thread, however. But I suppose if a topic must 'go off', then this is the best thread for it.
The point is that MR Daedalus lost a few arguments with me and thusly found it fit to put me on ignore, which is surely a perversion of the ignore function.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by Daedalus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:51 am

Rob Lister wrote:
nmblum wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
nmblum wrote:Unless you want to talk only to yourself as a way of life.

Norma
Babbling incoherently to oneself is a great way to discourage the panhandlers from pestering one for spare change.
A heavy price to pay for a lack of generosity on your part.
Often true jems flow thru you. :D

I do wonder at the direction of the thread, however. But I suppose if a topic must 'go off', then this is the best thread for it.
If not this thread as an OT chat, then where? it seems only fit to turn one man's whining into everyone else's fun.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)