Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Why has Dadalus put me on ignore

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 am

scrmbldggs wrote: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/1201/p2478.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Big red flag, it opens with sentences about recreational use and abuse, I expect this study is government funded.

I notice most of their evidence against it is misrepresentational; they quote case studies (more like horror stories) of people who have been using way too much and have been combining other drugs with it as if that tells us anything meaningful about it's effects alone.

There is one study in mice that shows mild neurotoxicity, but extrapolating this to humans is hard. And there are 10x more papers that show it has a neuroprotective effect.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 am

zeuzzz wrote:ethyl-alcohol has never been prescribed for anything
Methanol poisoning.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 am

zeuzzz wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/1201/p2478.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Big red flag, it opens with sentences about recreational use and abuse, I expect this study is government funded.

I notice most of their evidence against it is misrepresentational; they quote case studies (more like horror stories) of people who have been using way too much and have been combining other drugs with it as if that tells us anything meaningful about it's effects alone.

There is one study in mice that shows mild neurotoxicity, but extrapolating this to humans is hard. And there are 10x more papers that show it has a neuroprotective effect.
OK, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :roll:

Oh, lookit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydr ... gal_status" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You sure you wanna keep pushing it?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lard, save me from your followers.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Methanol poisoning.
Fair point, but the literature seems to show fomepizole is far preferred. Methanol poisoning is a pretty serious thing, and not something that happens often.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 am

I edited my previous post. It might be of interest.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:21 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Oh, lookit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydr ... gal_status" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You sure you wanna keep pushing it?
You're conflating pushing with stating facts.

And legality in absolutely no way corresponds to scientific safety and efficacy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17382831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Drug misuse and abuse are major health problems. Harmful drugs are regulated according to classification systems that purport to relate to the harms and risks of each drug. However, the methodology and processes underlying classification systems are generally neither specified nor transparent, which reduces confidence in their accuracy and undermines health education messages. We developed and explored the feasibility of the use of a nine-category matrix of harm, with an expert delphic procedure, to assess the harms of a range of illicit drugs in an evidence-based fashion. We also included five legal drugs of misuse (alcohol, khat, solvents, alkyl nitrites, and tobacco) and one that has since been classified (ketamine) for reference. The process proved practicable, and yielded roughly similar scores and rankings of drug harm when used by two separate groups of experts. The ranking of drugs produced by our assessment of harm differed from those used by current regulatory systems. Our methodology offers a systematic framework and process that could be used by national and international regulatory bodies to assess the harm of current and future drugs of abuse.
full text

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 am

zeuzzz wrote:Methanol poisoning is a pretty serious thing, and not something that happens often.
Not so often since some bright spark realised putting methanol in methylated spirits didn't deter alcoholic bums from drinking it, but it caused a lot of blind and dead kids from accidental poisoning.

And methanol poisoning is still common with home distillers that don't know {!#%@}. In fact, it's quite the danger in Bali and other cheap-arse tourist hotspots.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 am

zeuzzz wrote:And legality in absolutely no way corresponds to scientific safety and efficacy.
...and means nothing whatsoever, eh? ;)

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:10 pm

zeuzzz wrote:There is a very good reason why ethyl-alcohol has never been prescribed for anything, it would not even pass a phase one trial in terms of efficacy or safety.
It woud pass for efficacy! Its very effectiv for getting drunk.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Post by Daedalus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:28 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:And legality in absolutely no way corresponds to scientific safety and efficacy.
...and means nothing whatsoever, eh? ;)
Remember that he thinks any drug he wants to take must be healthy, so any information to the contrary must be part of a "Big Pharma/Government" conspiracy.

His old, "it's natural in your body" line is so ridiculous anyway. Oh it's naturally occurring in your body? So is formaldehyde, but I'd generally not try to drink or smoke it. Water is naturally occurring in your body, but if you drink too much if it, it can make you sick or kill you.

These little realities, along with the far larger realities, are what he chooses to ignore with his drug-addled noggin.

I'd add, that ethyl alcohol is also prescribed for cardiac ablation.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Methanol poisoning.
And preventing heart disease.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:
Methanol poisoning.
And preventing heart disease.
And emergency therapeutic intervention for delirium tremens
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:27 pm

Rob Lister wrote:And emergency therapeutic intervention for delirium tremens
Surely nowadays a gabagenic drug like a benzodiazepine would be used instead?

I thought diazepam was the first line of treatment for DT.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:47 pm

EMERGENCY therapeutic intervention. I don't carry benzodiazepine or diazepam with me.

Besides, Rob's reply had more than a touch of ironic humour to it. Do you always speak in pharmacologish?

No - don't answer that.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 am

Poodle wrote:EMERGENCY therapeutic intervention. I don't carry benzodiazepine or diazepam with me.

Besides, Rob's reply had more than a touch of ironic humour to it. Do you always speak in pharmacologish?

No - don't answer that.
He's a pharmacologist in the same way that someone who likes to get into car crashes is a mechanic.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:29 am

:lol:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 am

Daedalus wrote:
Poodle wrote:EMERGENCY therapeutic intervention. I don't carry benzodiazepine or diazepam with me.

No - don't answer that.
He's a pharmacologist in the same way that someone who likes to get into car crashes is a mechanic.
What have we here?
Dueling pharmacologists?

Don't fight, you ambitious to a fault, kids.

Surely this Forum is large enough to be able to accommodate TWO drug dispensers at the same time.

You each have your particular charms, and are equally adept at tossing around the lingo.
If not any actual substance.
For that… oh, those picky authorities!!… you need a license.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:43 pm

nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

No - don't answer that.
What have we here?
Dueling pharmacologists?

Surely this Forum is large enough to be able to accommodate TWO drug dispensers at the same time.

You each have your particular charms, and are equally adept at tossing around the lingo.

Norma Manna Blum
Yet another swing and a miss Norma... but keep trying, you might get a hit before the reaper does.

P.S. Would you actually recognize substance? Probably not.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 pm

[ytube][/ytube]
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

No - don't answer that.
What have we here?
Dueling pharmacologists?

Norma Manna Blum
Yet another swing and a miss Norma... but keep trying, you might get a hit before the reaper does.

Oh , Druggist?
Druggist?
Is that you?
And your revised and more temperate way of telling me to DIE!!
WIthout actually calling me the SHITHEAD judgment that you award to the other victims of your congenital ire?
I don't mind..
And WHY?
Because you are NEVER gonna get the date that might turn you into an actual human being..
NEVER.
And you know why.
::lol:: such a funny Dead of Lust.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:09 pm

nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

No - don't answer that.
What have we here?
Dueling pharmacologists?

Norma Manna Blum

Oh , Druggist?
Druggist?
Is that you?
And your revised and more temperate way of telling me to DIE!!
WIthout actually calling me the SHITHEAD judgment that you award to the other victims of your congenital ire?
I don't mind..
And WHY?
Because you are NEVER gonna get the date that might turn you into an actual human being..
NEVER.
And you know why.
::lol:: such a funny Dead of Lust.

Norma Manna Blum
I know it's hard for you to keep track of the details, but I've never told you to die, or called you a shithead... that's just your feigned outrage on behalf of some others.

As for the date thing... you do like to go back to that, don't you? Is there something lack in your love life that you're so focused on mine? Don't hold back dear, this is safe place. ;)

robinson
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Sometimes 0 is real cool hand

Post by robinson » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Currently, there is no accepted medical use for GHB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_oxybate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you tell people the truth, make them laugh. Otherwise they will kill you"
-- Oscar Wilde

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks, robinson.

This link I posted after that one also mentions that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robinson
Frequent Poster

Post by robinson » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 pm

I don't even know what is being discussed at his point.
-- Oscar Wilde

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:01 pm

robinson wrote:I don't even know what is being discussed at his point.
Just crawl back to the climate section where you belong. Like Sweetie, you're a one-trick pony at best, and it's never more obvious then when you're out of your presumptive element.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Many have attempted to derail this thread but it keeps coming back on topic.

It's a mystery what that topic is though.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robinson
Frequent Poster

Post by robinson » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:24 pm

I put Daedalus on ignore a long time ago. Being ignored by Daedalus would suit me just fine. Why anyone would complain about being ignored by Daedalus is a mystery.
-- Oscar Wilde

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Dead haz the world on ignore really. He haz sum memberz on automatic ignore with the forum software, otherz he duznt pay any attention to, and then the top level, thoze who he conversez with but nothing they say affects hiz thinking at all.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:46 pm

JO 753 wrote:Dead haz the world on ignore really. He haz sum memberz on automatic ignore with the forum software, otherz he duznt pay any attention to, and then the top level, thoze who he conversez with but nothing they say affects hiz thinking at all.

I have three names on my ignore list, you drama queen.

Reality > Your blather

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:51 pm

And therez the textbook typical response.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 pm

JO 753 wrote:And therez the textbook typical response.

JO: "You'd ignore everyone if you could!"
Me: "Obviously not, my list only has 3."
JO: "TYPICAL RESPONSE."
Me: "..."

No I get though JO... because I'm one of the EVERYONE on this forum who don't agree with your arguments regarding language and the state of your logic... I'm ignoring your ideas.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Incorrect.

Me: You are ignoring everybody.
You:
Daedalus wrote: I have three names on my ignore list, you drama queen.

Reality > Your blather
You got angry. Thats the standard textbook response.

Your top level ignore function iz to understand wut youre reading only well enuf to formulate an attack. Unless, naturally, its sumthing you alredy agree with, then its more bricks and mortar for your castle.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:38 pm

JO 753 wrote:Incorrect.

Me: You are ignoring everybody.
You:
Daedalus wrote: I have three names on my ignore list, you drama queen.

Reality > Your blather
You got angry. Thats the standard textbook response.

Your top level ignore function iz to understand wut youre reading only well enuf to formulate an attack. Unless, naturally, its sumthing you alredy agree with, then its more bricks and mortar for your castle.
That's not angry, that's incredulous. Learn to read. :mrgreen:

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Post by Kaepora Gaebora » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:17 am

JO, you're projecting anger into his posts.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:18 am

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:JO, you're projecting anger into his posts.
Not the only person in this thread that seems to do that with certain peoples posts. Seems to be only a tiny minority here that do it with every one of my posts tough. Whereas if you read Normas signature of all the comment D said against me, there is no hiding behind their interpretation, and I've never once said anything like that to D.
Snap.

But since I know i'm in the right and Daedalus put me on ignore on spurious grounds based on incorrect subjective projections of emotions onto my posts the longer people keep asking the question in the OP (and getting no answer) I'm fine with it staying open a while.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 am

You must liv on the impolite side uv the traks if you believe that name calling iz part uv a normal, unemotional comment.

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Post by Kaepora Gaebora » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:39 am

JO 753 wrote:
You must liv on the impolite side uv the traks if you believe that name calling iz part uv a normal, unemotional comment.
Certainly the language Daedalus uses is harsh, but that in no way means he is angry.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:44 am

Yes, It duz, you FCN viewer.

See how that works?

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Post by Kaepora Gaebora » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:58 am

JO 753 wrote:Yes, It duz, you FCN viewer.

See how that works?
The intended tone of someone is often lost when communicating across the Internet. So trying to tell the mood of a person from harsh language alone tends to be a futile effort in mind reading.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 am

zeuzzz wrote:...since I know i'm in the right and Daedalus put me on ignore on spurious grounds based on incorrect subjective projections of emotions onto my posts the longer people keep asking the question in the OP (and getting no answer) I'm fine with it staying open a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?