The stoned ravings of the DMT brigade

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: The stoned ravings of the DMT brigade

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 am

Is "stop plagiarizing your own blog! (sic)"" the new standard for reason here?
Or just the funniest remark made by a blowhard of no particular wit or wisdom to another poster similarly impaired?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Post by zeuzzz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:52 am

I brought me a new fiddle earlier. I think some members of this forum are going to love it.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 am

zeuzzz wrote:I brought me a new fiddle earlier. I think some members of this forum are going to love it.
I bet... what with Fiddle-Faddle being so popular of late.
Maybe you could learn to play Danse Macabre... maybe the posse will dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0glOYQBlSA

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:25 am

nmblum wrote:Is "stop plagiarizing your own blog! (sic)"" the new standard for reason here?
Or just the funniest remark made by a blowhard of no particular wit or wisdom to another poster similarly impaired?

NMB
You're confused again Norma, which is a little sad.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:38 am

Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:Is "stop plagiarizing your own blog! (sic)"" the new standard for reason here?

NMB

I'm not confused... and if I were, it wouldn't be at all sad...

What's sad is that you have already made that same remark about 100 times in your short tenure here.
YOu might consider not plagiarizing your own detritus.
Say anything you like about me.... by all means.
BUT for Jesus H. Christ's sake, get some new material.
::YAWN::
Norma Manna Blum
P.S...And the "bullying" bushwah needs some pepping up as well.
That one has the stench of death upon it by now, and it might (MIGHT) have transferred itself to your person.
Hope not of course (I'm a humanist).

NMB
Skepticism:

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 am

nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

NMB

You are, and it is. I suspect that at one point in your life you were a lively and far less nasty person, and it's a pity to see what you've come to at this late date. I'm starting to wonder if your aggression is ultimately compensating for your overall loss of coherence.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 am

Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

NMB

You are, and it is. I suspect that at one point in your life you were a lively and far less nasty person, and it's a pity to see what you've come to at this late date. I'm starting to wonder if your aggression is ultimately compensating for your overall loss of coherence.
Pawing and the dirt and snorting at the picador t will get you nowhere with me Senor Toro..
I am more coherent than you are.
And smarter.
With sharper wits.
And better educated.
And that's not saying much... in fact I could have graduated at the bottom of my Head Start class and still be thinking more clearly than you ever will...
IF, IF... some indication of an actual thought ever emerges from YOUR fiddle-faddle.
Unlikely... but where there is life there is the certainly that not an elevator not programmed to reach the penthouse is never going to get there.

Norma Manna BLum
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 am

Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

NMB

Pawing and the dirt and snorting at the picador t will get you nowhere with me Senor Toro..
And smarter.
With sharper wits.
And better educated.
And that's not saying much... in fact I could have graduated at the bottom of my Head Start class and still be thinking more clearly than you ever will...
IF, IF... some indication of an actual thought ever emerges from YOUR fiddle-faddle.
Unlikely... but where there is life there is the absolute certainty that an elevator not programmed to reach the penthouse is never going to get there.

Norma Manna BLum
Last edited by nmblum88 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skepticism:

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:58 am

nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

NMB

And smarter.
With sharper wits.
And better educated.
Unlikely... but where there is life there is the certainly that not an elevator not programmed to reach the penthouse is never going to get there.

Norma Manna BLum

These would be profound statements if you weren't making assumptions and your posts did not so often convey your bitterness and lack of coherence.

I'd pity you more if you weren't so unpleasant to so many.

P.S. Check your spelling, and double posting... it's a dead giveaway that you're pissed, and rushing.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 am

I case some of the posters in this thread have not kept up with the recent trends in the literature:

Why Kids With High IQs Are More Likely to Take Drugs

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/15/w ... z2ZMVADmCu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘Magic Mushrooms’ Can Improve Psychological Health Long Term

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/16/m ... z2ZMVQdZux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magic Mushrooms Expand the Mind By Dampening Brain Activity

A new brain-scan study helps explain how psilocybin works — and why it holds promise as a treatment for depression, addiction and post-traumatic stress.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/24/m ... z2ZMVW1l00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance
Psychopharmacology August 2006, Volume 187, Issue 3, pp 268-283
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 006-0457-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mystical-type experiences occasioned by psilocybin mediate the attribution of personal meaning and spiritual significance 14 months later
J Psychopharmacol August 2008 vol. 22 no. 6 621-632
http://jop.sagepub.com/content/22/6/621.short" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Psilocybin occasioned mystical-type experiences: immediate and persisting dose-related effects
Psychopharmacology, December 2011, Volume 218, Issue 4, pp 649-665
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 011-2358-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mystical experiences occasioned by the hallucinogen psilocybin lead to increases in the personality domain of openness
J Psychopharmacol November 2011 vol. 25 no. 11 1453-1461
http://jop.sagepub.com/content/25/11/1453.short" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:08 am

[/quote]

You are, and it is. I suspect that at one point in your life you were a lively and far less nasty person, and it's a pity to see what you've come to at this late date. I'm starting to wonder if your aggression is ultimately compensating for your overall loss of coherence.[/quote]

Your isights are brilliant...
But as it happens I am much more lively than you are, or ever were... of that there is no doubt whatever...
And I am actually much more mellow now, than I once was, in the good old days when I would have wiped up the floor with you with no concern for your feelings whatever.

So pawing and the dirt and snorting at the picador t will get you nowhere with me Senor Toro..
And smarter.
With sharper wits.
And better educated.

Norma Manna BLum[/quote]

These would be profound statements if you weren't making assumptions and your posts did not so often convey your bitterness and lack of coherence.

P.S. Check your spelling, and double posting... it's a dead giveaway that you're pissed, and rushing.[/quote]

Lucky for you that I am careless, and that I have double posted: it might make you feel brainer than you are...
And I am in a rush... I am off to play poker. ...
What exciting social entertainment do you have planned for yourself?
Or is it just another evening with your nose in the law books, the medical journals, the molecular biology studies, the Physics text-books?
All work and no play, you know, makes for a DEAD-ly dull DEAD-a-lus..

LOL..
Norma Manna BLum
Skepticism:

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:49 am

Norma I'm not sure exactly what Daedalus and co have done to you but you are coming across as rather embittered in every thread I've seen you post in.

Wait why am I getting involved in this? Consider that a one off comment on the issue ...

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:44 am

Zeuzzz, the quote you posted in this post -- http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p348006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- looks to be excessively long. I think you should shorten it. Posting such long quotes is a copyright issue or something (I forget exactly what). The point is, a quote should be short, and people who are interested enough will then follow the link to find out more.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:25 am

nmblum wrote:

You are, and it is. I suspect that at one point in your life you were a lively and far less nasty person, and it's a pity to see what you've come to at this late date. I'm starting to wonder if your aggression is ultimately compensating for your overall loss of coherence.[/quote]

Your isights are brilliant...
But as it happens I am much more lively than you are, or ever were... of that there is no doubt whatever...
And I am actually much more mellow now, than I once was, in the good old days when I would have wiped up the floor with you with no concern for your feelings whatever.

So pawing and the dirt and snorting at the picador t will get you nowhere with me Senor Toro..
And smarter.
With sharper wits.
And better educated.

Norma Manna BLum[/quote]

P.S. Check your spelling, and double posting... it's a dead giveaway that you're pissed, and rushing.[/quote]

Lucky for you that I am careless, and that I have double posted: it might make you feel brainer than you are...
Or is it just another evening with your nose in the law books, the medical journals, the molecular biology studies, the Physics text-books?

LOL..
Norma Manna BLum[/quote]

You forget again Norma, that I skim your posts, and in a case this long, windy, and poorly formatted I skip it entirely.

tl;dr is... tl;dr. ;)
Last edited by Daedalus on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Character_Assassin
Poster

Post by Character_Assassin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 pm

nmblum wrote:Lucky for you that I am careless, and that I have double posted: it might make you feel brainer than you are...

LOL..
Norma Manna BLum

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Character_Assassin wrote:
nmblum wrote:Lucky for you that I am careless, and that I have double posted: it might make you feel brainer than you are...

LOL..
Norma Manna BLum
I knew I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

Character_Assassin
Poster

Post by Character_Assassin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Daedalus wrote:

LOL..
Norma Manna BLum
I knew I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!
Flat-out one of the best lines ever. And one of the most useful!

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Gord wrote:Zeuzzz, the quote you posted in this post -- http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p348006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- looks to be excessively long. I think you should shorten it. Posting such long quotes is a copyright issue or something (I forget exactly what). The point is, a quote should be short, and people who are interested enough will then follow the link to find out more.
Thanks gord, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:16 pm

And smarter.
With sharper wits.
And better educated.

Norma Manna BLum

P.S. Check your spelling, and double posting... it's a dead giveaway that you're pissed, and rushing.
::Yawn::
You are... but perhaps have failed to notice, that you are, LOL... plagiarizing your own ineptitudes.

And they were less than impressive, the intrusions of a neighborhood busybody, in the first place.

My statements COULD be profound.
And they could be distinctly NON-PROFOUND.
But as you are hardly a judge of profundity, it's more than difficult, in fact impossible for me to take you remarks seriously.
And if any one else does, they do so at some peril to sense and sensibility...
But carry one...
Who would want to stop you?
Uhuru!!

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Gord wrote:Zeuzzz, the quote you posted in this post -- http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p348006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- looks to be excessively long. I think you should shorten it. Posting such long quotes is a copyright issue or something (I forget exactly what). The point is, a quote should be short, and people who are interested enough will then follow the link to find out more.

Fair use...
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Daedalus wrote:[,,,

You forget again Norma, that I skim your posts, and in a case this long, windy, and poorly formatted I skip it entirely.

tl;dr is... tl;dr. ;)

Even better when she's just on ignore. :mrgreen:
Kenny A. Chaffin

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:32 pm

zeuzzz wrote:Norma I'm not sure exactly what Daedalus and co have done to you but you are coming across as rather embittered in every thread I've seen you post in.

Wait why am I getting involved in this? Consider that a one off comment on the issue ...

Well, clearly some banalities are true:, in this case "no good deed goes unpunished."

While I find your remarks here, from the beginning, the meaningless, the entirely self-absorbed outpourings of an ordinary doper, certainly not as bright as some, I have defended your right to be here, and remonstrated against those petty, self-appointed monitors who "DEMANDED" in their offensives ways, that you be removed.

Look what it got me!!
LOL..
But that's okay.
I would do it again.... and again.
Defend, that is, the right of anyone to say anything that isn't physically threatening, or obscene, or violates rules of barter, in an open Forum, with no means, or I.Q. test for membership.
No dues, no qualifications... come one, come all.
I stand on that.
Otherwise, your foolishness, your narrow obsession, your inane opinions are none of my business.
You are no Wm Burroughs, or Jack Keroac, no Thomas De Quincy, nor Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and drugs have done nothing to enhance your reasoning or your flights of fancy... but no matter.
You have a right to be here, along with Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and with the good, the bad and the ugly.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Deadalus:

tl;dr is... tl;dr. ;)

::Yawn::
Of course you do, of course you do.....
And of course, I didn't forget..
How could I?
::Titter::
You repeat it after ever response to one of my posts...
Ignore..
Don't ignore....
What difference do you possibly think it could make to anyone at all?
(OH, I forgot... you can't answer because you can't see the question!.. Silly me.)
Norma Manna Blum
Last edited by nmblum88 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepticism:

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 pm

nmblum wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:Norma I'm not sure exactly what Daedalus and co have done to you but you are coming across as rather embittered in every thread I've seen you post in.

Well, clearly some banalities are true:, in this case "no good deed goes unpunished."

While I find your remarks here, from the beginning, the meaningless, the entirely self-absorbed outpourings of an ordinary doper, certainly not as bright as some, I have defended your right to be here, and remonstrated against those petty, self-appointed monitors who "DEMANDED" in their offensives ways, that you be removed.

Look what it got me!!
LOL..
But that's okay.
Defend, that is, the right of anyone to say anything that isn't physically threatening, or obscene, or violates rules of barter, in an open Forum, with no means, or I.Q. test for membership.
I stand on that.
Otherwise, your foolishness, your narrow obsession, your inane opinions are none of my business.
You are no Wm Burroughs, or Jack Keroac, no Thomas De Quincy, nor Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and drugs have done nothing to enhance your reasoning or your flights of fancy... but no matter.
You have a right to be here, along with Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and with the good, the bad and the ugly.

Norma Manna Blum
:lol:

I wish you could appreciate the humor in this Norma! Tell me, do you think you'd come to the same conclusion about our resident halfwit holocaust denier Davie if he dared to call you a nasty piece of work, or bitter?

I bet you would. ;)

I really can't tell if you're a just a psychological wasteland, or if this is some kind of dementia. I'm betting on the former, but if it turns out to be the latter I'll apologize to your next of kin.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:

Look what it got me!!
LOL..
But that's okay.
I stand on that.

Norma Manna Blum
:lol:

I wish you could appreciate the humor in this Norma! Tell me, do you think you'd come to the same conclusion about our resident halfwit holocaust denier Davie if he dared to call you a nasty piece of work, or bitter?

I bet you would. ;)

I really can't tell if you're a just a psychological wasteland, or if this is some kind of dementia. I'm betting on the former, but if it turns out to be the latter I'll apologize to your next of kin.

Commendable, subtlety... admirable even.
(Although there is the cyber equivalent of a sweaty odor of desperation.)
However, if you are trying to make a connection between me and holocaust denial, or a denier, I can only speak openly and from the heart:
Best of luck to you.
Keep it up 'til you drop.

Oh, and no need to apologize: none of my next of kin are likely to think anything you have to say has the slightest connection with either reality or rationality...
Or has any moral substance whatever..

Norma Manna Blum
P.S... And by all means keep betting on whatever you wish to bet.
And hardly for me to suggest, but you might want to keep your wagers really minuscule (penny ante, or less).
And you certainly should stay away from poker.... or any game that takes some human insight along with luck of the draw.

NMB

Skepticism:

Character_Assassin
Poster

Post by Character_Assassin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:54 pm

nmblum wrote:Commendable, subtlety... admirable even.
However, if you are trying to make a connection between me and holocaust denial, or a denier, I can only speak openly and from the heart:
Best of luck to you.

Oh, and no need to apologize: none of my next of kin are likely to think anything you have to say has the slightest connection with either reality or rationality...

Norma Manna Blum
And hardly for me to suggest, but you might want to keep your wagers really minuscule (penny ante, or less).
And you certainly should stay away from poker.... or any game that takes some human insight along with luck of the draw.

NMB

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Best of luck to you.

Norma Manna Blum

NMB
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 pm

kennyc wrote:
Best of luck to you.

Norma Manna Blum

NMB
:lol: :lol: :lol:
He REALLY captured the disorganized nature of her raving. :lol:

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Accusations of plagiarizing seem pretty replete here. I can understand why I got deactivated for copying my blog here, I can also understand why plagiarizing is frowned upon so harshly in scientific journals, I can also understand why in art plagiarizing and expanding on other peoples work is strongly encouraged, but last I checked forum posts were not academic journals.

Accusing someone of plagiarizing is an extremely good method of shooting the messenger and ignoring the message IMO.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 pm

zeuzzz wrote:Accusations of plagiarizing seem pretty replete here. I can understand why I got deactivated for copying my blog here, I can also understand why plagiarizing is frowned upon so harshly in scientific journals, I can also understand why in art plagiarizing and expanding on other peoples work is strongly encouraged, but last I checked forum posts were not academic journals.

Accusing someone of plagiarizing is an extremely good method of shooting the messenger and ignoring the message IMO.
Unless they're plagiarizing, in which case you're shooting the messenger with good cause. A simple way to avoid that is, wait for it... DON'T PLAGIARIZE!

It's basically 100% effective, and accusing someone who doesn't plagiarize, of plagiarism makes the accuser look like an {!#%@}.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm

zeuzzz wrote:Accusing someone of plagiarizing is an extremely good method of shooting the messenger and ignoring the message IMO.
"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet; ..."

William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act 2 Scene 2.

See - that's a quotation, and a particularly apt one. Had I quoted the entire balcony scene or, in desperation, the whole of Act 2, it would have been inappropriate and, had Willy been alive recently, probably a breach of copyright.

Had I included all of that lot but without the quotation marks and attribution, then that would have been plagiarism. As well as being a case of stooping about as low as it's possible to get and being contrary to the rules and regulations of this forum, it is actionable under law. Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

Remember George Harrison and "My Sweet Lord"?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:23 am

kennyc wrote:
Fair use...
Yeah. Thanks. I mean, words and stuff is hard. What'm I, a lawyer? No I am not.
Character_Assassin wrote:Image
That's how I type! :shakefist:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Monster wrote:
zeuzzz wrote: Essentially all I did it elevate the amount of an endogenous neurochemical we all use every night when we sleep. Can't see the harm in that.
I'm sorry, but that's dumb.

Hydrochloric acid is in your stomach, and thus, it's totally natural. Maybe you should drink tons of it?

Testosterone is totally natural, so maybe you should take a heaping injection of it?
That would be retarded. I was making a simple point about the bodies ability to metabolize this compound extremely quickly and efficiently. Hydrocloric acid would not even reach your stomach before burning your tongue into your neck. Testosterone overdose will make your body metabolize the testosterone into other hormones, including estrogen, ending with gynecomastia, and eventually a nice pair of knockers to play around with :D

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Monster wrote:
zeuzzz wrote: Essentially all I did it elevate the amount of an endogenous neurochemical we all use every night when we sleep. Can't see the harm in that.

Hydrochloric acid is in your stomach, and thus, it's totally natural. Maybe you should drink tons of it?

Testosterone is totally natural, so maybe you should take a heaping injection of it?
That would be retarded. I was making a simple point about the bodies ability to metabolize this compound extremely quickly and efficiently. Hydrocloric acid would not even reach your stomach before burning your tongue into your neck. Testosterone overdose will make your body metabolize the testosterone into other hormones, including estrogen, ending with gynecomastia, and eventually a nice pair of knockers to play around with :D
Just don't state that nonsense about a substance being endogenous, thus it's safe. That's moronic. Hydrochloric acid and testosterone are both endogenous to the human body.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:30 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Monster wrote:

What do you think the body does with DMT?

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Daedalus wrote:What do you think the body does with DMT?
Not much apart from metabolize it away. I expect that it is metabolized by an enzyme readily in the blood, which is why it's eliminated so unbelievably quickly, but at this point the exact enzyme is not known, even though all the metabolites are.

A 2012 study into the metabolites of DMT:

Metabolism and disposition of N,N-dimethyltryptamine and harmala alkaloids after oral administration of ayahuasca.
Results showed that less than 1% of the administered DMT dose was excreted unchanged. Around 50% was recovered as indole-3-acetic acid but also as DMT-N-oxide (10%) and other MAO-independent compounds. Recovery of DMT plus metabolites reached 68%. Harmol, harmalol, and tetrahydroharmol conjugates were abundant in urine. However, recoveries of each harmala alkaloid plus its O-demethylated metabolite varied greatly between 9 and 65%. The present results show the existence in humans of alternative metabolic routes for DMT other than biotransformation by MAO. Also that O-demethylation plus conjugation is an important but probably not the only metabolic route for the harmala alkaloids in humans.
In terms of side effects, they are extremely minor, and nothing to worry about, and return to normal within 15 minutes of inhaling/IV'ing the substance. When Strassman studied it he took comprehensive physiology reading during the trip and noted:
Dimethyltryptamine dose slightly elevated blood pressure, heart rate, pupil diameter, and rectal temperature, in addition to elevating blood concentrations of beta-endorphin, corticotropin, cortisol, and prolactin. Growth hormone blood levels rose equally in response to all doses of DMT, and melatonin levels were unaffected.
Strassman R.J., Qualls C.R. (February 1994). "Dose-response study of N,N-dimethyltryptamine in humans. I. Neuroendocrine, autonomic, and cardiovascular effects". Archives of General Psychiatry 51 (2): 85–97.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:37 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:What do you think the body does with DMT?
Not much apart from metabolize it away. I expect that it is metabolized by an enzyme readily in the blood, which is why it's eliminated so unbelievably quickly, but at this point the exact enzyme is not known, even though all the metabolites are.

A 2012 study into the metabolites of DMT:

Metabolism and disposition of N,N-dimethyltryptamine and harmala alkaloids after oral administration of ayahuasca.
Results showed that less than 1% of the administered DMT dose was excreted unchanged. Around 50% was recovered as indole-3-acetic acid but also as DMT-N-oxide (10%) and other MAO-independent compounds. Recovery of DMT plus metabolites reached 68%. Harmol, harmalol, and tetrahydroharmol conjugates were abundant in urine. However, recoveries of each harmala alkaloid plus its O-demethylated metabolite varied greatly between 9 and 65%. The present results show the existence in humans of alternative metabolic routes for DMT other than biotransformation by MAO. Also that O-demethylation plus conjugation is an important but probably not the only metabolic route for the harmala alkaloids in humans.
In terms of side effects, they are extremely minor, and nothing to worry about, and return to normal within 15 minutes of inhaling the substance. When Strassman studied it he took comprehensive physiology reading during the trip and noted:
Dimethyltryptamine dose slightly elevated blood pressure, heart rate, pupil diameter, and rectal temperature, in addition to elevating blood concentrations of beta-endorphin, corticotropin, cortisol, and prolactin. Growth hormone blood levels rose equally in response to all doses of DMT, and melatonin levels were unaffected.
Strassman R.J., Qualls C.R. (February 1994). "Dose-response study of N,N-dimethyltryptamine in humans. I. Neuroendocrine, autonomic, and cardiovascular effects". Archives of General Psychiatry 51 (2): 85–97.
I understand that, but your previous statement seemed to ignore metabolism of the drug.

In any case, the best current assessment, for which there is not a TON of rigorous work or longitudinal studies, does indicate that it's pretty safe unless you have an underlying heart condition. That's great, but history is also full of such substances which are thought to be perfectly safe, and turn out to have unwanted long-term effects.

It's generally a good rule of thumb to assume that anything with an effect, has adverse effects, from aspirin on up. It may be worth it to some, or not. Personally, before taking a drug that can induce transient psychosis I'd need a LOOOOOOT more evidence of safety, on the scale of a full phased trial.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm

We have evolution and the tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) year old tradition of shamanism also in support of it's safety. If there were some devastating unknown side effect yet to be discovered these tribes and people with their intense knowledge about the exact right MAOI root to combine with the exact right leaf of the the exact right tree in the exact ratio they do would have been selected against evolutionarily thousands of years ago. Yet this knowledge has passed the test of time, and so have the using populations that use it as a sacrament.

I'm a bit of a puritan in this regard. Sure, a lot of the modern drugs pass rigorous phase III clinical trials and that's all well and good for now, but we could be setting ourselves up for disaster in the future with some of these new exotic chemicals we have introduced. Which is why I'm now wary of most synthetic drugs (never used to be, am now), semi synthetic like LSD or natural opiates which are natural but just refined is borderline. Since things like mushrooms, cannabis, kava-kava, kratom, DMT, Iboga and other natural psychoactives have millenniums of cultural use and the populations are still going strong today we have a kind of perfect proof of their true long term safety, not just to the people who use them but also to their progeny over centuries.

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Post by Kaepora Gaebora » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 pm

zeuzzz wrote:We have evolution and the tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) year old tradition of shamanism also in support of it's safety. If there were some devastating unknown side effect yet to be discovered these tribes and people with their intense knowledge about the exact right MAOI root to combine with the exact right leaf of the the exact right tree in the exact ratio they do would have been selected against evolutionarily thousands of years ago. Yet this knowledge has passed the test of time, and so have the using populations that use it as a sacrament.

I'm a bit of a puritan in this regard. Sure, a lot of the modern drugs pass rigorous phase III clinical trials and that's all well and good for now, but we could be setting ourselves up for disaster in the future with some of these new exotic chemicals we have introduced. Which is why I'm now wary of most synthetic drugs (never used to be, am now), semi synthetic like LSD or natural opiates which are natural but just refined is borderline. Since things like mushrooms, cannabis, kava-kava, kratom, DMT, Iboga and other natural psychoactives have millenniums of cultural use and the populations are still going strong today we have a kind of perfect proof of their true long term safety, not just to the people who use them but also to their progeny over centuries.
"Lots of people have used it in the past" is not valid in proving its safety, let alone with their 'intense knowledge'; do you think that tribes or other people then would really understand transient psychosis? Or would they reduce that to demons in the body and proceed to stone them or other painful rituals?

And natural vs synthetic drugs is not a valid argument as many drugs have been derived from biologic sources down to the chemicals that make the source effective in treating symptoms and disease. The other stuff is removed to reduce the amount of negative or unintended side effects and have more control over the concentrations. Once a lab can synthesize it without a natural source, they do away with the source. This happened with thyroid hormones; pig or other animal thyroids were originally given as prescription for thyroid problems such as Hashimoto's disease, but the concentration levels for the hormones inside it cannot be controlled, so synthetic was produced and you don't see much prescription of animal thyroids anymore.

Sometimes they can't reduce the natural source to find out which chemical products are responsible for the wanted effect. This is true with the St John's Wart; there is a known effect on depression, but nobody knows exactly what compound(s) is/are doing it. Then you have side effects that are due to other chemicals interacting with the body (such as the increased risk of photo sensitivity) and reactions with other drugs that are probably unnecessary if the compound or compounds is/are reduced.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:We have evolution and the tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) year old tradition of shamanism also in support of it's safety. If there were some devastating unknown side effect yet to be discovered these tribes and people with their intense knowledge about the exact right MAOI root to combine with the exact right leaf of the the exact right tree in the exact ratio they do would have been selected against evolutionarily thousands of years ago. Yet this knowledge has passed the test of time, and so have the using populations that use it as a sacrament.

"Lots of people have used it in the past" is not valid in proving its safety, let alone with their 'intense knowledge'; do you think that tribes or other people then would really understand transient psychosis? Or would they reduce that to demons in the body and proceed to stone them or other painful rituals?

And natural vs synthetic drugs is not a valid argument as many drugs have been derived from biologic sources down to the chemicals that make the source effective in treating symptoms and disease. The other stuff is removed to reduce the amount of negative or unintended side effects and have more control over the concentrations. Once a lab can synthesize it without a natural source, they do away with the source. This happened with thyroid hormones; pig or other animal thyroids were originally given as prescription for thyroid problems such as Hashimoto's disease, but the concentration levels for the hormones inside it cannot be controlled, so synthetic was produced and you don't see much prescription of animal thyroids anymore.

Sometimes they can't reduce the natural source to find out which chemical products are responsible for the wanted effect. This is true with the St John's Wart; there is a known effect on depression, but nobody knows exactly what compound(s) is/are doing it. Then you have side effects that are due to other chemicals interacting with the body (such as the increased risk of photo sensitivity) and reactions with other drugs that are probably unnecessary if the compound or compounds is/are reduced.
^This.

I mean, people have smoked tobacco for millennia... still not good for you.