The stoned ravings of the DMT brigade

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: The stoned ravings of the DMT brigade

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am

zeuzzz wrote:http://banoosh.com/blog/2013/07/08/psil ... o-50940/0/
..., and erases frightening memories from mice. Mice trained to fear electric shock when hearing a noise associated with the shock, stopped reacting in fear to the noise when given a small dose of psilocybin, much more quickly, in contrast to mice given no psilocybin. “They simply lost their fear”, exclaimed the co-author of the study, Dr. Juan Sanchez-Ramos, a professor of movement disorders...
So there seems to be a chemical zeuzzz would like to see tested and approved because it is said to make fear disappear...
zeuzzz wrote:The best way to overcome the anxiety is to overcome your fear by confronting it, not run away from it.
:blink:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:11 am

I'm afraid of bears. One time I tried confronting my fear, but the bears killed me and ate me. I'm never doing that again!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:12 am

Gord wrote:I'm afraid of bears. One time I tried confronting my fear, but the bears killed me and ate me. I'm never doing that again!
Thank you, Gord. That's one fear off my list!!

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Gord wrote:I'm afraid of bears. One time I tried confronting my fear, but the bears killed me and ate me. I'm never doing that again!
Reminds me of the fear of flying in an aeroplane being insane yet the fear of crashing in an airplane being perfectly sane.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:18 pm

It's the probabilities that make the difference in risk taking, like when we scientifically compare the relative risks of horse riding and using MDMA, or if we are using them for psychedelics ... hang on what what was the point against them?

Even though the paper is tongue in cheek at points its in a very respected journal and raises many pertinent points overall about cultural bias to what activities actually cause harm statistically to society and how we can try to reduce them via a method of harm reduction.

Excerpt:
So what was her addiction, what is equasy?
It is an addic-tion that produces the release of adrenaline and endorphins and
which is used by many millions of people in the UK including
children and young people. The harmful consequences are well
established about 10 people a year die of it and many more
suffer permanent neurological damage as had my patient. It has
been estimated that there is a serious adverse event every 350
exposures and these are unpredictable, though more likely in
experienced users who take more risks with equasy. It is also
associated with over 100 road traffic accidents per year
often with deaths. Equasy leads to gatherings of users that often are
associated with these groups engaging in violent conduct.
Dependence, as defined by the need to continue to use, has
been accepted by the courts in divorce settlements. Based on
these harms, it seems likely that the ACMD would recommend
control under the MDAct perhaps as a class A drug given it
appears more harmful than ecstasy (See Table 1).

Have you worked out what equasy is yet? It stands forEquine
AddictionSyndrome, a condition characterised by gain-
ing pleasure from horses and being prepared to countenance the
consequences especially the harms from falling off/under the
horse. I suspect most people will be surprised that riding is
such a dangerous activity. The data are quite startling–people
die and are permanently damaged from falling–with neck and
spine fracture leading to permanent spinal injury (Silver and
Parry, 1991; Silver 2002). Head injury is four times more com-
mon though often less obvious and is the usual cause of death.
In the USA, approximately 11,500 cases of traumatic head
injury a year are due to riding (Thomas,et al., 2006), and we
can presume a proportionate number in the UK. Personality
change, reduced motor function and even early onset
Parkinson’s disease are well recognised especially in rural clini-
cal practices where horse riding is very common. In some shire
counties, it has been estimated that riding causes more head
injury than road traffic accidents. Violence is historically inti-
mately associated with equasy–especially those who gather
together in hunting groups; initially, this was interspecies aggres-
sion but latterly has become specific person to person violence
between the pro and anti-hunt lobby groups.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 am

Argue with me god dammit.

Else I'll have to spill the beans all over the forum floor.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Post by Daedalus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34 am

zeuzzz wrote:Argue with me god dammit.

Else I'll have to spill the beans all over the forum floor.
I obviously can only speak for myself, but I suspect that it's probably true in some fashion for others here... nobody is debating with you, because you don't really say anything worth debating. Your beliefs amount to a kind of quasi-religion and nobody (IMO) cares about why or what you believe in those regards.

It's not as though you're raising new and shocking issues, you're just very passionate about a subject that isn't really a major element of this forum's bailiwick.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:09 am

The reason why I am here is JREF. I don't know if my posts here have been re-iterated thoroughly enough for me to continue my excursions, or if i'm merely flailing in the wind on a disparate forum ...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:16 am

It's foggy, ain't it?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:08 pm

zeuzzz wrote:The reason why I am here is JREF. I don't know if my posts here have been re-iterated thoroughly enough for me to continue my excursions, or if i'm merely flailing in the wind on a disparate forum ...
I don't know what tell you, beyond what I have before and elsewhere: move on. Trying to recapture the past, however unfairly you feel it was taken from you, is a pointless and frustrating endeavor.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:13 pm

The reason why DMT of all seems unique is that it definitely does not effect your mind. Where ever you end up you are there 100% still the same person you left, dmt is not like a psychedelic drug in the sense that your getting into the contents of your emotions, fears, hopes or dreams, it's much more like a parallel continuum, it's much more as through you have broken through to some alien dataspace. It does not effect your mind, it simply replaces the world with something completely unrelated. And your reaction to this is not one of fear, or 'oh great' the world has just been replaced by multidimensional elf machines, you are appalled, it's like 'What the hell just happened'? Because you don't feel your mind moving, the world just gets totally replaced by something you could never have even conceived of or imagined before.

If this sort of thing interests you scientifically I can highly recommend this 25 minute video of some DMT visuals to Terence Mckenna explaining his subjective opinions on DMT.

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Post by Kaepora Gaebora » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:53 pm

zeuzzz wrote:The reason why DMT of all seems unique is that it definitely does not effect your mind. Where ever you end up you are there 100% still the same person you left, dmt is not like a psychedelic drug in the sense that your getting into the contents of your emotions, fears, hopes or dreams, it's much more like a parallel continuum, it's much more as through you have broken through to some alien dataspace. It does not effect your mind, it simply replaces the world with something completely unrelated. And your reaction to this is not one of fear, or 'oh great' the world has just been replaced by multidimensional elf machines, you are appalled, it's like 'What the hell just happened'? Because you don't feel your mind moving, the world just gets totally replaced by something you could never have even conceived of or imagined before.

If this sort of thing interests you scientifically I can highly recommend this 25 minute video of some DMT visuals to Terence Mckenna explaining his subjective opinions on DMT.
If it doesn't affect the mind, why is it hailed as such an awesome drug then?

Poodle
Has No Life
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:35 am

zeuzzz wrote:The reason why I am here is JREF. I don't know if my posts here have been re-iterated thoroughly enough for me to continue my excursions, or if i'm merely flailing in the wind on a disparate forum ...
The reason I'm here is cheese. Wensleydale, preferably.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Kaepora Gaebora wrote: If it doesn't affect the mind, why is it hailed as such an awesome drug then?
It effects consciousness rather than you or your mind. The only other drug that does this that I know of is Iboga. Both ayahuasca (the oral version of DMT) and Iboga are both extremely effective at treating people with addictions or OCD type symptoms, I think it is this trait of effecting only consciousness but not your mind that does this.

You are able to have this experience and absorb the entire thing whilst still thinking completely coherently. Not like LSD or other psychoactives where you'd just be giggling or 'out of it' or marijuana where you'd just be monged out or paranoid.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 pm

In my opinion, the brain is the physical part of the equation, the mind is the interface or operating system, and consciousness is the source/code.

Poodle
Has No Life
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Zeuzzz, you've been smoking too much dope. That is the worst analogy I've ever had the pleasure to meet. An operating system is not merely an interface. Source code has no existence beyond its purpose as input to the compilation process. This is akin to allotting psychological functions to the various parts of a cabbage.

Try harder.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Poodle wrote:Zeuzzz, you've been smoking too much dope.
Don't touch the stuff, it doesn't agree with me.
That is the worst analogy I've ever had the pleasure to meet. An operating system is not merely an interface. Source code has no existence beyond its purpose as input to the compilation process. This is akin to allotting psychological functions to the various parts of a cabbage.
Your thinking about this too much like a computer model. I should not have said code, that was misleading, I should have said information, or informational field. But as a metaphor, the mind being like your operating system which you can change due to neurplastcitity and conscious rewiring of neurons (ie, upgrading your operating system) works well in this simple regard. The mind and brain are more like two sides of the same coin, whereas in my opinion consciousness is a different beast entirely.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:02 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Poodle wrote:Zeuzzz, you've been smoking too much dope.
Don't touch the stuff, it doesn't agree with me.
That is the worst analogy I've ever had the pleasure to meet. An operating system is not merely an interface. Source code has no existence beyond its purpose as input to the compilation process. This is akin to allotting psychological functions to the various parts of a cabbage.
Your thinking about this too much like a computer model. I should not have said code, that was misleading, I should have said information, or informational field. But as a metaphor, the mind being like your operating system which you can change due to neurplastcitity and conscious rewiring of neurons (ie, upgrading your operating system) works well in this simple regard. The mind and brain are more like two sides of the same coin, whereas in my opinion consciousness is a different beast entirely.
In case this made no sense to anyone (which I suspect) this short 2 minute video touches the tip of the iceberg about what I am on about.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 pm

The stoned ravings of the DMT brigade?

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:The stoned ravings of the DMT brigade?
They were the ravings, yes.

The evidence comes later if needed ;)

Eric D R
Regular Poster

Post by Eric D R » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:06 am

Magic Mushrooms Expand the Mind By Dampening Brain Activity

A new brain-scan study helps explain how psilocybin works — and why it holds promise as a treatment for depression, addiction and post-traumatic stress.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/24/m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... z2ZMVW1l00
Thank you very much for that link, zeuzzz! I didnt notice anyone else commenting on it or the other interesting links you sent, but i havent read thru all the pages of this thread yet. Nonetheless, the links touch on things that are much more worthwhile to discuss in this forum than the petty personal squabbling i've seen in this thread so far. I am sorry you have encountered so much prejudice and irrational reaction to your original post, and i invite you to look at the thread i just started on the topic of DMT in the "brain mind and consciousness" topic under General Subjects.

As for the above link to the Time article, it seems some psychadelic trips can help give a person an expanded psychological perspective the way physical trips can give us a more expanded view of the physical world around us.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:03 am

Eric D R wrote:

A new brain-scan study helps explain how psilocybin works — and why it holds promise as a treatment for depression, addiction and post-traumatic stress.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/24/m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... z2ZMVW1l00
Thank you very much for that link, zeuzzz! I didnt notice anyone else commenting on it or the other interesting links you sent, but i havent read thru all the pages of this thread yet. Nonetheless, the links touch on things that are much more worthwhile to discuss in this forum than the petty personal squabbling i've seen in this thread so far. I am sorry you have encountered so much prejudice and irrational reaction to your original post, and i invite you to look at the thread i just started on the topic of DMT in the "brain mind and consciousness" topic under General Subjects.

As for the above link to the Time article, it seems some psychadelic trips can help give a person an expanded psychological perspective the way physical trips can give us a more expanded view of the physical world around us.

So can reading a book. :roll:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 pm

kennyc wrote:So can reading a book. :roll:
So can sitting on your thumb.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:36 pm

kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:

Right, but can a book make you trip balls? :roll:

I mean really... learning to expand your view of the world... how very passé.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Daedalus wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:

Yes, if you trip over it with your balls.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Gord wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:

Yes, if you trip over it with your balls.
Such balls! :shock:

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Daedalus wrote:...

Right, but can a book make you trip balls? .....

Yes, actually it can, it can be a mind and life-altering experience.

Engines of Creation - Eric Dexler
The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
The Immense Journey - Loren Eiseley

and a few others have done it for me.
Kenny A. Chaffin

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm

kennyc wrote:

I think you're conflating an experience that enriches the mind and soul, expanding and altering your view of the world and fellow man...

...with TRIPPING BALLS. I don't want to read a book and learn, just shoot me full of hallucinogens and give me a false sense of awe and insight.

Yep... that's the way to do it!

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Daedalus wrote:
kennyc wrote:

I think you're conflating an experience that enriches the mind and soul, expanding and altering your view of the world and fellow man...

...with TRIPPING BALLS. I don't want to read a book and learn, just shoot me full of hallucinogens and give me a false sense of awe and insight.

Nah, I'm not or I wouldn't have said it.
:D
Kenny A. Chaffin

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 pm

kennyc wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
kennyc wrote:

Sounds like you need some DMT to clear your head! :P

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Daedalus wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
kennyc wrote:

Sounds like you need some DMT to clear your head! :P
Nah, but you clearly missed my "Writing is a Drug. Embrace it!" post.
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... ug#p358302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)
Kenny A. Chaffin

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:01 pm

kennyc wrote: Engines of Creation - Eric Dexler
Good book.
Tribute to genealogy at the time, very dated now.
Not read it, good reviews though.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
kennyc wrote: ....
Tribute to genealogy at the time, very dated now.

Not in the least, the core issue of the book is still at the forefront of life and its origins.
Kenny A. Chaffin

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Daedalus wrote:...I don't want to read a book and learn, just shoot me full of hallucinogens and give me a false sense of awe and insight....
Ohhhhh, why didn't you say so!

Dianetics - L. Ron Hubbard
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Gord wrote:
Daedalus wrote:...I don't want to read a book and learn, just shoot me full of hallucinogens and give me a false sense of awe and insight....

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Gord wrote:

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Eric D R
Regular Poster

Post by Eric D R » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm

What I was trying to say was that a psychadelic trip or DMT trip has the potential to show you the bigger picture of your own psyche, to expand your field of vision of what you can experience mentally. This is analogous to how taking a trip to a neighboring city or wilderness area expands your field of vision and awareness of your physical surroundings. That's what I'm trying to say. And I am basing this on evidence. Did you read the article that I reposted the link to? Here it is again:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/24/m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Eric D R wrote:What I was trying to say was that a psychadelic trip or DMT trip has the potential to show you the bigger picture of your own psyche, to expand your field of vision of what you can experience mentally. This is analogous to how taking a trip to a neighboring city or wilderness area expands your field of vision and awareness of your physical surroundings. That's what I'm trying to say. And I am basing this on evidence. Did you read the article that I reposted the link to? Here it is again:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/24/m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that it's a reach to assume that perspective gained on drugs is a real view of, "your own psyche" and not just a bit of delusion you happen to believe because it feels so real.

There is no evidence that the "insight" gained is real or valuable... just a lot of anecdotal testimony from people who have subjected their brains to drugs.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:48 pm

I can't see any of those huge images....I feel I'm missing something.....perhaps the subjective experience of the color red......

:cry:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 pm

kennyc wrote:I can't see any of those huge images....I feel I'm missing something.....perhaps the subjective experience of the color red......

:cry:
No, no, count yourself lucky.

http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/wallpaper/b ... 336237.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/wallpaper/s ... 208688.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?