JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:14 am

Major Malfunction wrote:That depends. Do you?
I believe I have said most of what I need to in my previous posts. Would you care to comment on anything I have said?
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14613
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:16 am

Well, it's been fun. But it's probably time you left. So long.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:20 am

Why do you say that?
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14613
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:26 am

You've had enough oxygen.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Gord » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Gord wrote:What's a UDV? I thought that stood for Underwater Diving Vehicle.
I explained about them in my lengthy blog post
Yeah but I don't read blog posts.
zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote: You're a goober for repeatedly soliciting drugs on JREF.

Oh it feels so good to get that off my chest...
Evidence?
Yes, here: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ght=zeuzzz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...Most of the offending material will be in Deep Storage so it might not look so bad to regular members. But the mere fact I can use the word "most" there indicates that this was far from a one-off problem....

...I reported a post recently in community that sought places he could go to for spiritual use of psychoactive drugs....

...He was talking about DMT, and in the more distant past he's talked about how he always does tests for purity on cocaine....

...If not for the drugs promotion, I would see no reason for banning him....

...He was asking where he could get psychoactive drugs in his area. That kind of question is never, ever going to be allowed here. Coupled with his history of Rule 1 breaches, he went one toke over the line....

...he had been explicitly warned about such breaches....

...Starting a thread asking where you can get illegal substances will quite likely get you banned regardless of any prior warnings although, as others have noted, in Zeuzzzz's case he did have warning....
Does that satisfy you? I assume it won't.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Gord wrote:
...Most of the offending material will be in Deep Storage so it might not look so bad to regular members. But the mere fact I can use the word "most" there indicates that this was far from a one-off problem....

...I reported a post recently in community that sought places he could go to for spiritual use of psychoactive drugs....

...He was talking about DMT, and in the more distant past he's talked about how he always does tests for purity on cocaine....

...If not for the drugs promotion, I would see no reason for banning him....

...He was asking where he could get psychoactive drugs in his area. That kind of question is never, ever going to be allowed here. Coupled with his history of Rule 1 breaches, he went one toke over the line....

...he had been explicitly warned about such breaches....

...Starting a thread asking where you can get illegal substances will quite likely get you banned regardless of any prior warnings although, as others have noted, in Zeuzzzz's case he did have warning....
Does that satisfy you? I assume it won't.
Thank you for taking the time to select these quotes, from what I can imagine is a rather lengthy thread in which the consensus was far less concrete.

Do you know what deep storage is? I have no single clue. I think I myself requested an 'abandon all hope' thread to be deleted from public viewing once, but that was my own request, not for breaking a rule. Is that what deep storage is?

And the statement I 'was asking where I can get psychedelic drugs in my area' is false. I asked for the location of a local UDV center. I found one. I broke no laws in asking, I broke now laws in participating.
Last edited by zeuzzz on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23845
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Have you ever stopped and asked yourself who the {!#%@} cares?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Have you ever stopped and asked yourself who the {!#%@} cares?
Yes all the time. I've concluded no one. Which I why I write these annoying posts when i'm bored. As technically I am correct, and no one cares. That is in fact, oddly, the exact reason.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Daedalus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Have you ever stopped and asked yourself who the {!#%@} cares?
Yes all the time. I've concluded no one. Which I why I write these annoying posts when i'm bored. As technically I am correct, and no one cares. That is in fact, oddly, the exact reason.
You write annoying posts when bored... i.e. you were kicked out of JREF, and now you're trolling here. How long do you figure it'll be before you're booted here if you keep it up?
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Daedalus wrote: You write annoying posts when bored... i.e. you were kicked out of JREF, and now you're trolling here. How long do you figure it'll be before you're booted here if you keep it up?
You've been the only one to use the ad hominems in this thread so far, I can assure you that I will be impossible to get into an argument with, no matter how hard you try to make me react. And I will not break a rule here. So you better just live with it and get over it. I look forward to a productive time spent here. How you culturally perceive my posts is not my problem.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23845
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Image
Awesome!

A shame its a fake meme/quote. Try my album for some actual Einstein quotes. They will probably be a little bit more profound.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Image
Think he'll be banned, or will he just fade away first?

I'm betting on fading.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Gord » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:23 am

zeuzzz wrote:Thank you for taking the time to select these quotes, from what I can imagine is a rather lengthy thread in which the consensus was far less concrete.
No, the consensus was that you had broken the forum rules before and had been banned for doing so again. There was a smaller consensus that some people would miss you and considered you harmless. I don't think anyone said they were glad to see you gone.
Do you know what deep storage is?
Presumably, they keep old posts in a place where no one but the moderators can see them. Presumably.[/quote]
And the statement I 'was asking where I can get psychedelic drugs in my area' is false. I asked for the location of a local UDV center.
That amounts to the same thing.
I broke no laws in asking, I broke now laws in participating.
You don't have to break a law, you just have to do the following:
...if the post contained instructions ... or information about ways to get high with (usually, illegal uses of) legal substances, or information about little-known drugs or how to obtain them -- then the posts breach rule 1. More importantly, the posts threaten the continued existence of these forums.
Just the appearance of such is enough to get you banned, to protect the website.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Gord wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:Thank you for taking the time to select these quotes, from what I can imagine is a rather lengthy thread in which the consensus was far less concrete.
No, the consensus was that you had broken the forum rules before and had been banned for doing so again. There was a smaller consensus that some people would miss you and considered you harmless. I don't think anyone said they were glad to see you gone.
Again thank you for actually taking the time to read the thread in question and give a much more honest overview than the other previous posters, who did in a rather bizarre quote mining ad hominem type fashion. I do not want you to interpret this post in a way that I am arguing with you. I am merely stating the facts of the matter as I see it.

I am just guessing again here as I can not see the thread, but are you sure that the main consensus from subsequent posts was that I had broken the forum rules, or was this just no discussed by other members? I would imagine (I read a fair few banning threads) that one moderator came and made a comment that cant be proven since the post was removed, and no one disagreed as they had not seen the post in question.
Do you know what deep storage is?
Presumably, they keep old posts in a place where no one but the moderators can see them. Presumably.
This seems a most odd thing to do, as I never got warnings about this deep storage moving, so maybe some of my posts have been moved here, but not only would I have no have been aware of this being a typically bad thing, but neither would other members. Maybe there were two, a survey I started to ask about drugs people have used, and the one I specifically requested myself to be moved due to another forum being uncomfortable with sharing some information cross forum. I would not know these were viewed particularly badly.
And the statement I 'was asking where I can get psychedelic drugs in my area' is false. I asked for the location of a local UDV center.

That amounts to the same thing.
As I said before, asking for the location of a pub there seems to be ok. You don't have to drink at a pub. Asking for the location of a rave seems ok there. You dont have to use MDMA at a rave. Asking for the location of a UDV center should be ok there too, as you don't have to use ayahusaca there, it depends on the congregation.
I broke no laws in asking, I broke now laws in participating.
You don't have to break a law, you just have to do the following:
...if the post contained instructions ... or information about ways to get high with (usually, illegal uses of) legal substances, or information about little-known drugs or how to obtain them -- then the posts breach rule 1. More importantly, the posts threaten the continued existence of these forums.
Well this is wrong due to the fact of that ayahusaca is not a legal substances whose use of is illegal, the very use of it is legal with the UDV. Also ayahusaca is not a little known drug, its a religious sacrament that has over 5000 years of use by various cultures, a proven scientific record of being safe. That is why I asked for the person who has used a UDV center to PM me instead of use the thread. Getting the DMT was not the goal, I have DMT nearly all the time, the whole point was finding a geographic location to use it in the correct context. Again, this was misinterpreted. And lacking any evidence of these previous breaches of rule one I will need to see them to be convinced. If I had gotten a suspension and was allowed to return this would be a lot easier and I would love to speak to a moderator about these past breaches of rule out I am still completely unaware of.
Just the appearance of such is enough to get you banned, to protect the website.
I addressed the neurosis and almost schizophrenic attitude behind this based on and faulty reasoning in my blog. I will quote below why this statement is totally wrong:

http://puttingtheeinjref.blogspot.co.uk ... tom-0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clearly the self administration of psychoactive substances, legal or illegal, will be increasing worldwide as a part of the future unfolding of global culture; in fact the stats show this pretty much worldwide, to varying degrees. By JREF coming down on the harsh side of the law by banning users who make drug related posts without even a suspension to warn them what they did wrong first, they not only are turning their back to a rich counter culture that has spent decades building up a database of harm reduction science for recreational drugs which would be an invaluably more friendly environment for posting members and readers, but it increases the risk of adding to the damage done by anti-science based drug education (confusion might be a better word). It would enable a productive dialogue to ensue about recreational drugs, their health effects, their side effects, etc, rather than what often happens, some of the more intelligent posters just wondering what they are allowed to post and not even risking posting valid information. I can not remember ever having a specific warning about posts that could be interpreted as drug related, I in fact asked for a couple of my own posts to be moved to deep storage retrospectively myself as I was not happy with making some of my pharmacology knowledge so public, most of my cautions were for posting images and hijacks, if I recall correctly.

This a change to the rules that I'm sure would not even raise an eyebrow online as it's already largely in place, drugs-forum.com ( a purely medicine/drug forum that had always erred on the side of caution with site rules being in accordance with 'international law' ) is now adopting a change to the site rules that allows admitting use of and planned use of drugs, much to the amusement of the spectrum of drugs forums that have been using first person prose since the beginning. It turns out that after speaking to people running drug related forums for nearly a decade not one of them has any evidence that posts made on a forum even attract the attention of drug law enforcement agencies, let alone compromise the security of them (the days of operation web tryp and the hive are long gone). The main forum rule to enforce seems to be not letting users reveal any more precise geographical information than city level in drug related posts and banning discussion of the price of drugs (it can can look like advertising).
If drug forums specifically geared towards drugs have never had any problems from law enforcement agencies in ten years of existence, the very idea that a few drug related posts compromises the security of a forum such as JREF is an absurd position to take.

I would be happy to show the data and messages from the seven main drug forum managers I have conversed over the past year with the moderators at JREF. I just want to help the forum, as this idea that drug posts compromise the forum is such a dated view to enforce they are severely impeding the scientific literacy of the forum as it relates to pharmacology and neurophysiology. I would be grateful if someone could PM myriad this information, she always seems an extremely reasonable moderator and was always really nice to me as she was a scientific and very logical thinker.

‘Drugs’ is a word which has polluted the well of language. Part of the reason we have a drug problem is because we don’t have an intelligent language to talk about substances, plants, psychedelic states of mind, sedative states of mind, states of amphetamine excitation. We can’t make sense of the problem and the opportunities offered by substances unless we clean up our language. ‘Drugs’ is a word that’s been used by governments to make it impossible to think creatively about the problem of substances and abuse and availability and so forth and soon.

In our society Drugs mean that which cures us and the greatest social problem of the generation. So there, right there, you see schizophrenia involved in thinking about drugs. Apparently there are ‘good’ drugs sanctioned by science and medicine and ‘bad’ drugs used by brown people in strange rites and growing in unusual plants in distant parts of the world. This kind of thinking – because it’s naïve – leads of course to social problems and bad politics, bad social policy and awfully scientifically illiterate use of forum rules as they relate to that.
Last edited by zeuzzz on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Daedalus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:27 pm

It really comes down to this zeuzzz... a given website is not a democracy, you agreed to the rules of it, you broke them, they booted you.

The end.

That you disagree with the rules, doesn't in any way change what happened. That you think they're silly could be a reason for you to try to change them, but you didn't bother with that, you just broke them. "Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Enjoy the ride.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Daedalus wrote:It really comes down to this zeuzzz... a given website is not a democracy, you agreed to the rules of it, you broke them, they booted you.
Can you be more exact where my instant ban (a pretty rare action on that forum) broke a rule and how? I still maintain it did not, I explained this above.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Daedalus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:10 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:It really comes down to this zeuzzz... a given website is not a democracy, you agreed to the rules of it, you broke them, they booted you.
Can you be more exact where my instant ban (a pretty rare action on that forum) broke a rule and how? I still maintain it did not, I explained this above.
You can maintain it, but just how it broke their rules has been spelled out many times in this thread. Again, you're welcome to take the classic, "Oh hey officer, those drugs aren't mine! My cousin was just wearing these pants!" approach.

Don't expect any results though.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1239
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator
Location: My own little world

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:15 pm

zeuzzz, how likely do you think it is that you're going to get anyone here to take your side in this?

You've told many whole and half-truths throughout this thread; lying by omission. That started in post one. Some were quite funny. Here's a funny one where you contradict yourself parenthetically in a single sentence.
zeuzzz wrote:I would not use a new account there as that's against the forum rules (I only tried once)
I'm impressed with your sticktoitness though.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Gord » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:48 pm

zeuzzz wrote:I am just guessing again here as I can not see the thread, but are you sure that the main consensus from subsequent posts was that I had broken the forum rules, or was this just no discussed by other members? I would imagine (I read a fair few banning threads) that one moderator came and made a comment that cant be proven since the post was removed, and no one disagreed as they had not seen the post in question.
Yes, that was the consensus, insofar as several non-moderators agreed that you had posted about drugs before, and no one said you had not. At least three moderators posted in agreement that they had seen what you had posted and that it was ban-worthy due to the factors I previously mentioned. So when I say "consensus", I'm saying those who made any statement about whether or not you deserved it were in 100% agreement, and the rest of the posts did not give an opinion one way or the other and could only be considered to have abstained.

I should also mention that these comments I'm referring to were not made in your actual banning thread, but in a separate "Why was zeuzzz banned?" thread that extended beyond one page. There was no argument that you did not deserve banning; but there were several statements that you would be missed, even though you had made (at least one) ban-worthy post.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 am

Gord wrote: Yes, that was the consensus, insofar as several non-moderators agreed that you had posted about drugs before, and no one said you had not. At least three moderators posted in agreement that they had seen what you had posted and that it was ban-worthy due to the factors I previously mentioned. So when I say "consensus", I'm saying those who made any statement about whether or not you deserved it were in 100% agreement, and the rest of the posts did not give an opinion one way or the other and could only be considered to have abstained.

I should also mention that these comments I'm referring to were not made in your actual banning thread, but in a separate "Why was zeuzzz banned?" thread that extended beyond one page. There was no argument that you did not deserve banning; but there were several statements that you would be missed, even though you had made (at least one) ban-worthy post.
Thanks again, so it seems more a consensus of moderators (I bet not the scientifically literate ones used to my posts in the science section) than members. I rarely if ever annoyed any members with my substance related posts as I always supplied adequate references when asked.

Anyway I'm over it. I'd still love my account back. I'll still continue to post bad press on my blog about what happened and some cultural biases I've remembered off the forum now I can not discuss it more productively on forum. Which is unfortunate for the community I used to respect and enjoy so much.

I'll have to continue discussion of the topics I was mid way through at JREF here I guess. I just hope we have some resident experts in these fields for some intellectually stimulating debates.

I'll rekindle the consciousness, morphogenetic fields theory, epigenetic inheritance theories, earth crust displacement hypothesis, gaia hypothesis, fractal cosmology, cognitive neuroplascitiy, physiological pharmatopia theories and human plant symbiosis threads in due course here.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28016
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:41 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Gord wrote: Yes, that was the consensus, insofar as several non-moderators agreed that you had posted about drugs before, and no one said you had not. At least three moderators posted in agreement that they had seen what you had posted and that it was ban-worthy due to the factors I previously mentioned. So when I say "consensus", I'm saying those who made any statement about whether or not you deserved it were in 100% agreement, and the rest of the posts did not give an opinion one way or the other and could only be considered to have abstained.

I should also mention that these comments I'm referring to were not made in your actual banning thread, but in a separate "Why was zeuzzz banned?" thread that extended beyond one page. There was no argument that you did not deserve banning; but there were several statements that you would be missed, even though you had made (at least one) ban-worthy post.
Thanks again, so it seems more a consensus of moderators (I bet not the scientifically literate ones used to my posts in the science section) than members. I rarely if ever annoyed any members with my substance related posts as I always supplied adequate references when asked.

Anyway I'm over it. I'd still love my account back. I'll still continue to post bad press on my blog about what happened and some cultural biases I've remembered off the forum now I can not discuss it more productively on forum. Which is unfortunate for the community I used to respect and enjoy so much.

I'll have to continue discussion of the topics I was mid way through at JREF here I guess. I just hope we have some resident experts in these fields for some intellectually stimulating debates.

I'll rekindle the consciousness, morphogenetic fields theory, epigenetic inheritance theories, earth crust displacement hypothesis, gaia hypothesis, fractal cosmology, cognitive neuroplascitiy, physiological pharmatopia theories and human plant symbiosis threads in due course here.
How old are you?
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23845
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:48 am

Waiting for Edith Anne to reply.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 9950
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am

Hmm. Although the "boilerplate" users have to agree to when they sign up here contains the statement,

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, pornographic, slanderous, libelous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “The Skeptics Society Forum” is hosted or International Law.

I seem to have neglected the area of selling and buying illegal drugs--and other illegal behavior--in the more specific forum rules. I'll have to give that some thought, primarily because I do not want my ass to be in someone else's sling.

Suffice to say that at this point I strongly discourage either advertising for supplying others with illegal drugs or giving instructions about where to get them...or, for that matter, advertising for other criminal enterprises.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Gord wrote: Yes, that was the consensus, insofar as several non-moderators agreed that you had posted about drugs before, and no one said you had not. At least three moderators posted in agreement that they had seen what you had posted and that it was ban-worthy due to the factors I previously mentioned. So when I say "consensus", I'm saying those who made any statement about whether or not you deserved it were in 100% agreement, and the rest of the posts did not give an opinion one way or the other and could only be considered to have abstained.

I should also mention that these comments I'm referring to were not made in your actual banning thread, but in a separate "Why was zeuzzz banned?" thread that extended beyond one page. There was no argument that you did not deserve banning; but there were several statements that you would be missed, even though you had made (at least one) ban-worthy post.
Thanks again, so it seems more a consensus of moderators (I bet not the scientifically literate ones used to my posts in the science section) than members. I rarely if ever annoyed any members with my substance related posts as I always supplied adequate references when asked.

Anyway I'm over it. I'd still love my account back. I'll still continue to post bad press on my blog about what happened and some cultural biases I've remembered off the forum now I can not discuss it more productively on forum. Which is unfortunate for the community I used to respect and enjoy so much.

I'll have to continue discussion of the topics I was mid way through at JREF here I guess. I just hope we have some resident experts in these fields for some intellectually stimulating debates.

I'll rekindle the consciousness, morphogenetic fields theory, epigenetic inheritance theories, earth crust displacement hypothesis, gaia hypothesis, fractal cosmology, cognitive neuroplascitiy, physiological pharmatopia theories and human plant symbiosis threads in due course here.
Oh joy, and thus JREF's "loss", becomes our pain.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 am

scrmbldggs wrote: How old are you?
25. Why?
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 am

Daedalus wrote:Oh joy, and thus JREF's "loss", becomes our pain.
Your posts have been an inspiration to me so far. Don't shoot the messenger before you've even heard the message. I'm not wedded to any theory. Oddly I encountered the same type of reaction on JREF, but skeptic forums would be an odd place if no one posted the occasional controversial thing for people to be skeptical of.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:08 am

Pyrrho wrote:Hmm. Although the "boilerplate" users have to agree to when they sign up here contains the statement,

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, pornographic, slanderous, libelous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “The Skeptics Society Forum” is hosted or International Law.

I seem to have neglected the area of selling and buying illegal drugs--and other illegal behavior--in the more specific forum rules. I'll have to give that some thought, primarily because I do not want my ass to be in someone else's sling.

Suffice to say that at this point I strongly discourage either advertising for supplying others with illegal drugs or giving instructions about where to get them...or, for that matter, advertising for other criminal enterprises.
You honestly have nothing to fear from me about posting drug related material. I never encourage people to use drugs, I just link to science and evidence. Its fairly obvious when someone is breaking law and advocating dangerous behavior and when someone is posting material in the spirit of science and harm reduction. A distinction that some on JREF never seemed to be able to distinguish between.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:10 am

Rob Lister wrote:zeuzzz, how likely do you think it is that you're going to get anyone here to take your side in this?
I'm not really expecting anyone here to take a side about anything much. This thread is mainly so people and moderators on JREF can read it and try to improve the conduct and applications of their rules as they relate to science and harm reduction so similar mistakes like were made with me do not become a recurring theme for other well intentioned members.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:20 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Oh joy, and thus JREF's "loss", becomes our pain.
Your posts have been an inspiration to me so far. Don't shoot the messenger before you've even heard the message. I'm not wedded to any theory. Oddly I encountered the same type of reaction on JREF, but skeptic forums would be an odd place if no one posted the occasional controversial thing for people to be skeptical of.
Yes, how odd... it's almost like they (and we) had seen many people like you over and over... each thinking they're that perfect combination of open-minded and rational. I've met one such person who really panned out in all of my years on or offline, and buddy... you do NOT seem like the second.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 9950
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:27 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:zeuzzz, how likely do you think it is that you're going to get anyone here to take your side in this?
I'm not really expecting anyone here to take a side about anything much. This thread is mainly so people and moderators on JREF can read it and try to improve the conduct and applications of their rules as they relate to science and harm reduction so similar mistakes like were made with me do not become a recurring theme for other well intentioned members.
I kinda sorta doubt the JREF moderators take much interest in discussions here about the rules there, FWIW.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:33 am

Pyrrho wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:zeuzzz, how likely do you think it is that you're going to get anyone here to take your side in this?
I'm not really expecting anyone here to take a side about anything much. This thread is mainly so people and moderators on JREF can read it and try to improve the conduct and applications of their rules as they relate to science and harm reduction so similar mistakes like were made with me do not become a recurring theme for other well intentioned members.
I kinda sorta doubt the JREF moderators take much interest in discussions here about the rules there, FWIW.
Well, maybe they oughtta.

I mean, just look at the sampling of wisdom being shared here at skeptiforum in today's active topics.

Clearly, the planet is richer for it.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 am

Pyrrho wrote: I kinda sorta doubt the JREF moderators take much interest in discussions here about the rules there, FWIW.
I agree, but i have no other means by which to converse with them to try to improve the forum so future mistakes do not happen.

I've cross checked some google data and this is the second most viewed forum by JREF members, it's only a matter of time before someone posts this thread there for discussion.
Last edited by zeuzzz on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 9950
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:37 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:zeuzzz, how likely do you think it is that you're going to get anyone here to take your side in this?
I'm not really expecting anyone here to take a side about anything much. This thread is mainly so people and moderators on JREF can read it and try to improve the conduct and applications of their rules as they relate to science and harm reduction so similar mistakes like were made with me do not become a recurring theme for other well intentioned members.
I kinda sorta doubt the JREF moderators take much interest in discussions here about the rules there, FWIW.
Well, maybe they oughtta.

I mean, just look at the sampling of wisdom being shared here at skeptiforum in today's active topics.

Clearly, the planet is richer for it.
Gonna be hell paying off the carbon credits.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 9950
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:39 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Pyrrho wrote: I kinda sorta doubt the JREF moderators take much interest in discussions here about the rules there, FWIW.
I agree, but i have no other means by which to converse with them to try to improve the forum so future mistakes do not happen.
I assume they are bouncing your emails...

Anyway, whatever...I may add to the rules to protect my legal tuchis anyway. After all, the NSA might be watching.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:42 am

Pyrrho wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:zeuzzz, how likely do you think it is that you're going to get anyone here to take your side in this?
I'm not really expecting anyone here to take a side about anything much. This thread is mainly so people and moderators on JREF can read it and try to improve the conduct and applications of their rules as they relate to science and harm reduction so similar mistakes like were made with me do not become a recurring theme for other well intentioned members.
I kinda sorta doubt the JREF moderators take much interest in discussions here about the rules there, FWIW.
Well, maybe they oughtta.

I mean, just look at the sampling of wisdom being shared here at skeptiforum in today's active topics.

Clearly, the planet is richer for it.
Gonna be hell paying off the carbon credits.
I'm doing my part by passing beer through my system prior to sequestering the end product.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 9950
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:42 am

Your efforts are appreciated by the dophins.

Or is that the harbor seals?

Killer whales?

Oh, wait, right, the sludge worms.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28016
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:43 am

zeuzzz wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote: How old are you?
25. Why?
zeuzzz wrote:
Gord wrote: Yes, that was the consensus, insofar as several non-moderators agreed that you had posted about drugs before, and no one said you had not. At least three moderators posted in agreement that they had seen what you had posted and that it was ban-worthy due to the factors I previously mentioned. So when I say "consensus", I'm saying those who made any statement about whether or not you deserved it were in 100% agreement, and the rest of the posts did not give an opinion one way or the other and could only be considered to have abstained.

I should also mention that these comments I'm referring to were not made in your actual banning thread, but in a separate "Why was zeuzzz banned?" thread that extended beyond one page. There was no argument that you did not deserve banning; but there were several statements that you would be missed, even though you had made (at least one) ban-worthy post.
Thanks again, so it seems more a consensus of moderators (I bet not the scientifically literate ones used to my posts in the science section)...

Anyway I'm over it...I'll still continue to post bad press on my blog about what happened...Which is unfortunate for the community I used to respect...so much...
This. And what Rob said earlier.
zeuzzz wrote:[This thread is mainly so people and moderators on JREF can read it and try to improve the conduct and applications of their rules as they relate to science and harm reduction so similar mistakes like were made with me do not become a recurring theme for other well intentioned members.
And this. You really think you are qualified to improve JREF?

Kid, If I'd misbehaved once, leave alone multiple times, to the extend that it would warrant a ban, I'd try to apologize to Pyrrho and all respectable forum members. And I would simply accept it, learn from it, and move on. That's what grown ups do.
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:50 am

Pyrrho wrote:Your efforts are appreciated by the dophins.

Or is that the harbor seals?

Killer whales?

Oh, wait, right, the sludge worms.
There, see?!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:14 am

Pyrrho wrote:You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, pornographic, slanderous, libelous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “The Skeptics Society Forum” is hosted or International Law.
Suddenly I feel like I have a lot to apologize for....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?