JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:31 am

scrmbldggs wrote:That's what grown ups do.
I'm not grown up. And I never intend to. Adults are boring. The secret to life is to keep childlike intrigue and interest alive throughout your existence.

I'm quite mature, but being 'grown up' is something quite different in my mind.
Last edited by zeuzzz on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:32 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Pyrrho wrote: I kinda sorta doubt the JREF moderators take much interest in discussions here about the rules there, FWIW.
I agree, but i have no other means by which to converse with them to try to improve the forum so future mistakes do not happen.
zeuzzz wrote:Well this is wrong due to the fact of that ayahusaca is not a legal substances whose use of is illegal, the very use of it is legal with the UDV. Also ayahusaca is not a little known drug, its a religious sacrament that has over 5000 years of use by various cultures, a proven scientific record of being safe. That is why I asked for the person who has used a UDV center to PM me instead of use the thread. Getting the DMT was not the goal, I have DMT nearly all the time, the whole point was finding a geographic location to use it in the correct context. Again, this was misinterpreted.
Please explain this to me. You want to have a "spiritual experience"... besides being doped up all the time anyway?
União do Vegetal (Portuguese: Centro Espírita Beneficente União do Vegetal [ˈsẽtɾw isˈpiɾitɐ benefiˈsẽtʃ uniˈɐ̃w du veʒeˈtaw]; or UDV) is a spiritualist belief with Christian imagery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uni%C3%A3o_do_Vegetal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and violated a JREF rule to achieve that?
Lard, save me from your followers.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 am

^ Enough of the pseudo profundities :D I am not going to learn anything from a forum that made a clear mistake. No one has really defended the decision here or come up with a reason why their actions were in accordance with the forum rules.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:37 am

zeuzzz wrote:...keep childlike intrigue and interest alive throughout your existence...
I actually agree with you here.

And that's about it...

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:37 am

scrmbldggs wrote: Please explain this to me. You want to have a "spiritual experience"... besides being doped up all the time anyway?
I would hardly call using ayahuasa twice in my life as being doped up all the time. It's been proven clinically to be a medicine with extraordinary mental healing efficacy. Do you want the scientific literature?
...and violated a JREF rule to achieve that?
I did not violate a rule. I've been over this. I can quote why again if you want?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 am

zeuzzz wrote:^ Enough of the pseudo profundities :D I am not going to learn anything from a forum that made a clear mistake. No one has really defended the decision here or come up with a reason why their actions were in accordance with the forum rules.
Why would anyone defend the decision here?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Nucken Futs

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 am

It's not our place.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:53 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
zeuzzz wrote:^ Enough of the pseudo profundities :D I am not going to learn anything from a forum that made a clear mistake. No one has really defended the decision here or come up with a reason why their actions were in accordance with the forum rules.
Why would anyone defend the decision here?
...And really, given the course this thread took from VERY early on... why would we care even if we could?

Really Zeuzzz... I hate to break it to you, but there is a VAST gulf between how you clearly view yourself and your role on any given forum, and how you actually manage to act.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:55 am

zeuzzz wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote: Please explain this to me. You want to have a "spiritual experience"... besides being doped up all the time anyway?
I would hardly call using ayahuasa twice in my life as being doped up all the time.
zeuzzz wrote:I have DMT nearly all the time
:?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:56 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
"DMT"? What's that, some kind of dementia?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:58 am

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
A REALLY powerful psychedelic drug... hypothesized to be one of the culprits in NDE's in its endogenous form.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:05 am

Daedalus wrote:
Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
A REALLY powerful psychedelic drug... hypothesized to be one of the culprits in NDE's in its endogenous form.
Ohhhhhh! Dimethyltryptamine? Yeah I really haven't kept up with my drug terminology. I'm probably still back in the 80s on that scene, baby.

In Canada, it is an indictable offence to attempt to acquire dimethyltryptamine but not an offence to possess it. Same with quaaaaaaaaluuuuuuuudes. :nuts:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:13 am

Gord wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Ohhhhhh! Dimethyltryptamine? Yeah I really haven't kept up with my drug terminology. I'm probably still back in the 80s on that scene, baby.

In Canada, it is an indictable offence to attempt to acquire dimethyltryptamine but not an offence to possess it. Same with quaaaaaaaaluuuuuuuudes. :nuts:
:lol:

Well if you take enough DMT you can probably really start to believe that it appeared to you as if by magic.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:16 am

Daedalus wrote:
Gord wrote:"DMT"? What's that, some kind of dementia?
Something I'd like to try, given the opportunity, and my scientific curiosity. But I don't go around soliciting on forums, nor hang with the 'right' crowd. Although there was one time... Sadly, it never came to pass. Opportunity knocks but once, as they say.

Here in Australia, they've now banned the sale of certain native trees that produce it in their bark. It's a shame, as a number of them are rare, and pretty, and the ridiculous sledgehammer law potentially makes gardeners into hardened criminal druglords.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:21 am

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/this-must-be-heaven" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...and:
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/drug ... ng-of-life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But these drugs can also produce mental states that are best viewed in clinical terms as forms of psychosis. As a general matter, I believe we should be very slow to make conclusions about the nature of the cosmos based upon inner experience — no matter how profound these experiences seem.
Ingesting a powerful dose of a psychedelic drug is like strapping oneself to a rocket without a guidance system.
I cannot account for why my adventures with psychedelics were uniformly pleasant until they weren’t—but when the doors to hell finally opened, they appear to have been left permanently ajar. Thereafter, whether or not a trip was good in the aggregate, it generally entailed some harrowing detour on the path to sublimity. Have you ever traveled, beyond all mere metaphors, to the Mountain of Shame and stayed for a thousand years? I do not recommend it.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:23 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
Gord wrote:"DMT"? What's that, some kind of dementia?
Something I'd like to try, given the opportunity, and my scientific curiosity. But I don't go around soliciting on forums, nor hang with the 'right' crowd. Although there was one time... Sadly, it never came to pass. Opportunity knocks but once, as they say.

Here in Australia, they've now banned the sale of certain native trees that produce it in their bark. It's a shame, as a number of them are rare, and pretty, and the ridiculous sledgehammer law potentially makes gardeners into hardened criminal druglords.
I would count yourself lucky for missing out on that particular experience, although I also deplore ignorant anti-drug laws such as the ones you describe.

Beyond that... what Scrambles posted.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:36 am

Daedalus wrote:I also deplore ignorant anti-drug laws such as the ones you describe.
^This.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:46 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Have you ever traveled, beyond all mere metaphors, to the Mountain of Shame and stayed for a thousand years? I do not recommend it.
I used to vacation there, until I had to move there permanently.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:52 am

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Have you ever traveled, beyond all mere metaphors, to the Mountain of Shame and stayed for a thousand years? I do not recommend it.
I used to vacation there, until I had to move there permanently.
:(

HUGS!!

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:15 am

scrmbldggs wrote:HUGS!!
lol Now I feel ashamed for that! :P
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:47 am

zeuzzz wrote:I'm quite mature, ...
You'll never make it into a box of Cheez-its.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:47 am

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
DMT is a natural neurochemical found in the blood of all mammalian life. It is also one of the strongest, shortest acting and safest hallucinogens known to man. It's role in creating our everyday perception and reality is a fascinating ongoing area of scientific study.

It is involved in certain psychological and neurological states. As DMT is naturally produced in small amounts in the brains and other tissues of humans, and other mammals, some believe it plays a role in promoting the visual effects of natural dreaming, and also near-death experiences and other mystical states.

Western and Eastern mystical traditions are replete with descriptions of a blinding bright white light accompanying deep spiritual realization. This "enlightenment" usually is the result of a progression of consciousness through various levels of spiritual, psychological, and ethical development. All mystical traditions describe the process and its stages.

The pineal gland is unique in its solitary status within the brain. All other brain sites are paired, meaning that they have left and right counterparts; for example, there are left and right frontal lobes and left and right temporal lobes. As the only unpaired organ deep within the brain, the pineal gland remained an anatomical curiosity for nearly two thousand years. No one in the West had any idea what its function was.

The pineal gland of evolutionarily older animals, such as lizards and amphibians, is also called the "third" eye. Just like the two seeing eyes, the third eye possesses a lens, cornea, and retina. It is light-sensitive and helps regulate body temperature and skin coloration—two basic survival functions intimately related to environmental light. Melatonin, the primary pineal hormone, is present in primitive pineal glands.

As animals climbed the evolutionary ladder, the pineal moved inward, deeper into the brain, more hidden and removed from outside influences.

Not all these hypotheses are proven, mainly due to ethical concerns and anti-drug legislation making studying DMT illegal, but they derive from scientifically valid data and inferences. The pineal is very hard to test as it is in the centre of the brain, and the person would have to be alive to produce any DMT because it is absorbed and metabolized into the body nearly instantly.

The most general hypothesis is that the pineal gland produces psychedelic amounts of DMT at extraordinary times in our lives. In some of us, pineal DMT mediates the pivotal experiences of deep meditation, psychosis, and near-death experiences. As we die, the life-force/consciousness leaves the body through the pineal gland, releasing another flood of this psychedelic.

The pineal gland contains the necessary building blocks to make DMT. For example, it possesses the highest levels of serotonin anywhere in the body, and serotonin is a crucial precursor for pineal melatonin. The pineal also has the ability to convert serotonin to tryptamine, a critical step in DMT formation. The unique enzymes that convert serotonin, melatonin, or tryptamine into psychedelic compounds also are present in extraordinarily high concentrations in the pineal. These enzymes, the methyltransferases, attach a methyl group—that is, one carbon and three hydrogens—onto other molecules, thus methylating them. Simply methylate tryptamine twice, and we have di-methyl-tryptamine, or DMT. Because it possesses the high levels of the necessary enzymes and precursors, the pineal gland is the most reasonable place for DMT formation to occur.

Reference for above: Some of the above is from Strassmans book the Spirit Molecule, I am not sure which parts, but I copied a fair amount of it when I wrote this summary four years back.
Last edited by zeuzzz on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:03 am

DMT does not provide an experience that you analyze, nothing so tidy goes on. What happens on DMT is that a legion of self transforming rainbow elfs comes to your house and smashes your front door in. The very mechanism of language and description undergoes some type of hyperdimensional inflation, and you are left appalled at how far into the bardo you have gone, you are left not even knowing what it is you know anymore.

It's extremely similar to many neurochemicals and is very closely related to serotonin and melatonin. It's replete throughout the plant kingdom in thousands of plants and is also found in certain genus of grass, mainly phalaris.

Mckenna sums it up quite well in this short 3 minute clip: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:49 am

You are copying and pasting from numerous online sources. Here's one:

http://myayahuasca.diyadventurer.com/dm ... eal-gland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please do not continue to violate copyright in this manner.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:53 am

Ah, what's wrong with a little plagiarism, Pyrrho? It make him sound mo 'telligent.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:06 pm

I am unlikely to score very highly on this test.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Mr. Turing stumps me regularly.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Hmm... remember my bet that Zeuzzz would fade away before he gets banned? I think I was wrong...

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Pyrrho wrote:You are copying and pasting from numerous online sources. Here's one:

http://myayahuasca.diyadventurer.com/dm ... eal-gland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, since I added this text to the description of a youtube video a while back I presumed it was my own words. But I've just realized a lot of it was probably copied from Strassmans book. Rick Strassman was the first person allowed legal right to study it's properties in a clinical setting. He had to end the research for his own sanity, as what people were reporting completely defied any sort of rational scientific explanation.

The book is here. I have a ebook of it if anyone is interested PM me.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Notice how my version excluded most of the woo though and only kept in the more empirical facts, it is kind of my own version.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Sorry, since I added this text to the description of a youtube video a while back I presumed it was my own words.
That's probably the best version of "I stole it, it's MINE!" I ever heard.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sorry, since I added this text to the description of a youtube video a while back I presumed it was my own words.
That's probably the best version of "I stole it, it's MINE!" I ever heard.
Lol. First year uni subject, ethics in science, among other things taught correct referencing. Even if you rewrite it all in your own words, but leave out the correct references, even some, that's still plagiarism.

The tutor set us an exercise to purposefully plagiarise a few paragraphs. I was particularly good at. He said, "We'll have to keep an eye on this one!"

But this isn't as rigorous as a scientific paper. As the rules state, a few paragraphs and a link is enough.

The soul enters and exits through the pineal gland?!? C'mon...

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:01 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:You are copying and pasting from numerous online sources. Here's one:

Sorry, since I added this text to the description of a youtube video a while back I presumed it was my own words. But I've just realized a lot of it was probably copied from Strassmans book. Rick Strassman was the first person allowed legal right to study it's properties in a clinical setting. He had to end the research for his own sanity, as what people were reporting completely defied any sort of rational scientific explanation.

The book is here. I have a ebook of it if anyone is interested PM me.
I think I spent the last 25 years of my working life as a technical author, so I wrote a hell of a lot of stuff. Never once, zeuzzz, have I ever mistaken anyone else's work for my own, and I'm pretty sure that I'd recognise any of my own work. I don't think I'm unique in that - I'd suggest it was fairly normal.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Poodle wrote: I'd suggest it was fairly normal.
Well, there's the problem, ain't it?

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Maybe a little clarification is in order. I knew when I copied it here from my video some of it was from Strassmans book. What are the rules on plagiarism here? I know that in science it is severely discouraged to the point of academic misconduct in journals (a sensible approach) yet in art plagiarism and using others ideas in new and innovative ways is strongly encouraged.

The wikipedia page gives a surprisingly good overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, the chemistry he cites in the closing paragraphs would be next to impossible to say in any different way. They are simply the raw scientific facts of the matter. Trying to reword that myself would have been a perversion of IUPAC.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Quotation marks and a citation would be a good start.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:55 pm

From the rules:
Copyright infringement. Users may post very brief excerpts of content from other websites, with a link to the online source. This should be no more than a short paragraph, accompanied by commentary.
Posting large extracts with small portions missing is not "fair use," especially when the source is not cited. Copying from a source that already violates a copyright isn't fair use either. Mr. Strassman owns the content and I am obliged to respect his rights.

I need a nap, though.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Grab him, try him, hang him, and let him appeal.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Poodle wrote:Quotation marks and a citation would be a good start.
Yes I should've in retrospect.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:07 am

I just miss people like quarky, the moderator Myriad, dancing david, Tim Thompson, Ziigurat, and many other members that I had gotten to know as friends there so much :(