JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by zeuzzz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 pm

I've noticed in the last few weeks that JREF forum is not allowing any new signups to the forum. Does anyone know why?

It started off with me trying to sign up a week or two back, and Lisa Simpson eventually getting back to me and saying that the signup had failed. So I asked someone else to try for me from a different IP address. The same happened. So I asked on my facebook groups with 100k people in and over 20 of them tried, all of them also got the same message from Lisa Simpson. This is over the last 1-2 months or so.

At least three of them actually did want to set up an account and use it as they had heard of Randi from other sources and liked the ideals of the community. For them to not be allowed baffled them just as much as it baffled me.

This is the message everyone gets:

"Dear x,

*Automated response*

Unfortunately we couldn’t complete your registration for the JREF Forum.

We do not retain details of accounts that have not been approved however the most likely reason is that some required information wasn’t entered during the registration process (First name, Last name, Country and State if in the USA).

Please either try again to register or drop me an email and I will do my best to sort out any problems you may be experiencing.

**Note** my email address is lisa_simpson@randi.org, if you reply to the email address this email was sent from (jrefweb@gmail.com) it will cause a delay in our response to any query you may have,

Regards

Lisa Simpson
lisa_simpson@randi.org
JREF Forum Administrator"
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: JREF forum not allowing any new signups?

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:13 pm

That looks like a standard automated response.

Have you tried sending a separate email to the forum administrators?
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Or asking someone to posts an ...---... over there for you? ;)
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Character_Assassin
Poster

Post by Character_Assassin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 pm

The same thing happened to me, as well, after several attempts.

After years of lurking at both this site and over there, I decided to sign up to both.

This one was no problem, but JREF simply doesn't work.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Okay, I'll ask Lisa to tune in on this.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 pm

PM sent.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 pm

PMS
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Lisa says to contact her via the email addy in the mail you got from the server.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Austin Harper wrote:PMS
Don't. I've suffered from PMS for years.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:38 am

I got that message twice when I tried to sign up, way back...uh...when did I sign up over there again?
15th November 2012
Yeah, then!

My point is, this isn't entirely a new problem, but in my case the third time worked.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Lisa says to contact her via the email addy in the mail you got from the server.
Most of the people that wanted accounts there did follow up and email her, she never replied. I'll copy their replies here:

* "Wow. Rejected again. This time I emailed Lisa Simpson for an explanation.

I mean, even if I wanted to sign up legitimately I couldn't. Which seems strange. I'm aware of James Randi and have been entertained in the past by his debunking. I don't get why they keep rejecting the sign ups.

She didn't even reply, lol.

* "I've tried emailing her and it's been a week now and she hasn't even replied. I give up."

* "Bad news. Rejected again. No idea what the problem was this time, and my email was ignored again, lol. Oh well."

* "Take a look at the messages. I think even if I wanted to register with my real name and data even then I would be refused on jref forum."

* Este Nuno Re: (No subject)
No luck i'm afraid, Lisa is stonewalling me. Not sure what else to do"

* sorry zeuzz, just got this one: (all info was entered)
Dear x, *Automated response* Unfortunately we couldn’t complete your registration for the JREF Forum.

And thats just a fraction of the 30 or so people from my facebook pages that could not register ... maybe they don't want any new members?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm

The question must be asked. Why do you care so much?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm sure they'll sort out the problem eventually.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:The question must be asked. Why do you care so much?
I was instantly banned due to a total misinterpretation of what my post meant. No warning, no suspension, no caution, nothing. And I've no way to even contact anyone to inform them how my thread was totally misinterpreted. I wrote a blog about the incident here. I think there is a thread about me being banned but no members saw the post in question so none of them could explain the difference between asking for a UDV centers location and what the moderators thought I was asking.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I'm sure they'll sort out the problem eventually.
I think they already have.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Post by Daedalus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:The question must be asked. Why do you care so much?
I was instantly banned due to a total misinterpretation of what my post meant. No warning, no suspension, no caution, nothing. And I've no way to even contact anyone to inform them how my thread was totally misinterpreted. I wrote a blog about the incident here. I think there is a thread about me being banned but no members saw the post in question so none of them could explain the difference between asking for a UDV centers location and what the moderators thought I was asking.
So you went to JREF... to find hallucinogens?

What the what?!?!

You could have just said that, and that you were trying (unsuccessfully) to dodge a ban and saved the kind people here some time.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Daedalus wrote:
lol no. I joined JREF forum due to the high literacy level there and the like minded people able to engage me in intellectually stimulating debate about nearly every subject possible. I made friends there, I contributed an inordinate amount of time learning the skeptical mindset and discussing things with people there. My entire world view has pretty much been shaped by the knowledgeable users there, and for that I am eternally grateful for. I was mid discussion on numerous interesting topics at the time when my account simply stopped working for no stated reason.

It just so happens I asked if anyone knew of a UDV center in the UK. I don't need to find a UDV center to use clinically efficacious hallucinogens any more than I need to find a hospital to prescribe medication or a rave to drink alcohol.

Please bear in mind that in the context I asked the brew in question is as legal as alcohol and tobacco. Just very few people are aware of this, and I bore the brunt of the cultural bias in spite of the scientific and political facts of the matter.
You could have just said that, and that you were trying (unsuccessfully) to dodge a ban and saved the kind people here some time.
Irrespective of my motivations other people that genuinely want to sign up to the forum are not able to. I have inadvertently found a rather strange signup phenomenon on the forum. I quoted a few people above.

I would not use a new account there as that's against the forum rules (I only tried once), which is why I asked people in my facebook group to sign up for me instead, all I would need to do is inform a member there of what happened to my account so they can post it in the thread, as there was a gross misrepresentation of the situation from what I have seen. I am still unsure of the reason for the ban. As far as I can tell asking people for the location of a church and congregation of like minded people is not against the rules. No more than asking where the location of a rave is.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 pm

I owe myself $5.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
lol no. I joined JREF forum due to the high literacy level there and the like minded people able to engage me in intellectually stimulating debate about nearly every subject possible. I made friends there, I contributed an inordinate amount of time learning the skeptical mindset and discussing things with people there. My entire world view has pretty much been shaped by the knowledgeable users there, and for that I am eternally grateful for. I was mid discussion on numerous interesting topics at the time when my account simply stopped working for no stated reason.

It just so happens I asked if anyone knew of a UDV center in the UK. I don't need to find a UDV center to use clinically efficacious hallucinogens any more than I need to find a hospital to prescribe medication or a rave to drink alcohol.

Please bear in mind that in the context I asked the brew in question is as legal as alcohol and tobacco. Just very few people are aware of this, and I bore the brunt of the cultural bias in spite of the scientific and political facts of the matter.
Irrespective of my motivations other people that genuinely want to sign up to the forum are not able to. I have inadvertently found a rather strange signup phenomenon on the forum. I quoted a few people above.

I would not use a new account there as that's against the forum rules (I only tried once), which is why I asked people in my facebook group to sign up for me instead, all I would need to do is inform a member there of what happened to my account so they can post it in the thread, as there was a gross misrepresentation of the situation from what I have seen. I am still unsure of the reason for the ban. As far as I can tell asking people for the location of a church and congregation of like minded people is not against the rules. No more than asking where the location of a rave is.
Right, literacy and intellectual engagement... then your first post was basically, "Hey bro, where can I get lit?"

Shocking that they'd ban you. :lol:
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Daedalus wrote:Right, literacy and intellectual engagement... then your first post was basically, "Hey bro, where can I get lit?"

I was a member for five years and had over 5000 posts on just about every subject imaginable.

Can you please quote where I ever said anything remotely like "Hey bro, where can I get lit?"
Last edited by zeuzzz on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Right, literacy and intellectual engagement... then your first post was basically, "Hey bro, where can I get lit?"

I was a member for five years and had over 5000 posts on just about every subject imaginable.
My bad, I misread something I believe.

So let me ask... had you gotten any previous warnings or pm's regarding previous posts? Any conflicts with other members or staff?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I owe myself $5.
Buy me a pint and we'll call it even.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Daedalus wrote:My bad, I misread something I believe.

So let me ask... had you gotten any previous warnings or pm's regarding previous posts? Any conflicts with other members or staff?
Nope the staff have always been courteous an just doing their job. I never had a particular beef with any of them. I got a few cautions mainly for posting images on the site (their rules about hotlinking are quite strict) but as far as I can recall I never got a serious warning about anything, and never got a suspension.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Bad choice of intoxicant :D Awful effects on memory hepatoxicity and other things, there's a very good reason why alcohol is never prescribed for anything, whereas other substances have proven clinically efficacious.

What was the bet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Except your account was somehow inexplicably disabled and you've never been able to sock-puppeteer your way in since, so now you've come begging to us?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:My bad, I misread something I believe.

Nope the staff have always been courteous an just doing their job. I never had a particular beef with any of them. I got a few cautions mainly for posting images on the site (their rules about hotlinking are quite strict) but as far as I can recall I never got a serious warning about anything, and never got a suspension.
This sounds... unlikely to be honest. You might be telling the unvarnished truth, but in my experience online there is more to this story.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
I can get you a quart of 'shine for $5. Guaranteed less than five hours old.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Except your account was somehow inexplicably disabled and you've never been able to sock-puppeteer your way in since, so now you've come begging to us?
Begging? I don't want to give that impression. I was asked to explain why I was motivated about my inquiry into the JREF registration process and I did that.

I wasn't trying to sock puppet I was mainly curious as to why the people I've been conversing with are not allowed to sign up even though some of them genuinely showed an interest in joining the forum totally independently of my circumstance.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Daedalus wrote: This sounds... unlikely to be honest. You might be telling the unvarnished truth, but in my experience online there is more to this story.
My entire posting history there is completely public for all to see. I'm not hiding anything. I've had the woo beaten out of me many a time on that forum. It was most enjoyable and educational in all.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I can get you a quart of 'shine for $5. Guaranteed less than five hours old.
I'll take it.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Daedalus wrote:This sounds... unlikely to be honest. You might be telling the unvarnished truth, but in my experience online there is more to this story.
To expand on this maybe the reason for it was my sudden posting of this topic in the community forum, whereas I usually stuck to the science section. I can appreciate how a moderator that had never come across my posting in the science section could have viewed a post about the UDV in a law enforcement type of mentality, whereas I had in fact been posting the same material for months in the science section with extensive references to literature and well reasoned scientific arguments. The moderators in the science section had no qualms with my posts on the subject, yet as soon as I posted in a different sub forum with different moderators my posts were completely out of their usual context and easily misinterpreted.

I'll stop whining now.

Still a reason why seemingly completely independent people from me are all finding it impossible to sign up is still a phenomenon I would like to get to the bottom of. Maybe the forum is deemed too full?
Last edited by zeuzzz on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I can get you a quart of 'shine for $5. Guaranteed less than five hours old.
I'll take it.
Okay, but you have to name me in your will.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Daedalus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:55 pm

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:This sounds... unlikely to be honest. You might be telling the unvarnished truth, but in my experience online there is more to this story.
To expand on this maybe the reason for it was my sudden posting of this topic in the community forum, whereas I usually stuck to the science section. I can appreciate how a moderator that had never come across my posting in the science section could have viewed a post about the UDV in a law enforcement type of mentality, whereas I had in fact been posting the same material for months in the science section with extensive references to literature and well reasoned scientific arguments. The moderators in the science section had no qualms with my posts on the subject, yet as soon as I posted in a different sub forum with different moderators my posts were completely out of their usual context and easily misinterpreted.

I'll stop whining now.

Still a reason why seemingly completely independent people from me are all finding it impossible to sign up is still a phenomenon I would like to get to the bottom of. Maybe the forum is deemed too full?
I don't know... maybe the rules about drugs are really strict there.

Really as someone with no first-hand knowledge I can only surmise the following:

1.) They have extremely strict policies about soliciting a crime in the USA.

2.) You pissed someone off, somewhere along the way.

3.) You exhibited a pattern of behavior that led to this, but don't recognize it.

4.) You're not telling us everything.

I honestly don't know which, or if it's some combo of the above. Assuming you're telling the truth it would seem wise to email their moderation team and ask for clarification and/or a second chance.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 am

Daedalus wrote:Assuming you're telling the truth it would seem wise to email their moderation team and ask for clarification and/or a second chance.
That would be wise, but I have literally no means by which to even find out why I was banned yet alone email a moderator.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:15 am

zeuzzz wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Assuming you're telling the truth it would seem wise to email their moderation team and ask for clarification and/or a second chance.
That would be wise, but I have literally no means by which to even find out why I was banned yet alone email a moderator.
Zeuzzz has been banned for repeated breaches of Rule 1.
You will not post anything that is considered to be potentially criminal.
In other words, you're a slow learner.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 am

Daedalus wrote: 1.) They have extremely strict policies about soliciting a crime in the USA.
In regard to this one, at risk of sounding like a broken record, the UDV are legally allowed to use ayahuasca especially in the USA where a high court order has given them the legal right to do so. I doubt the moerator(s) that banned me were even aware of this fact. I broke no law or even solicited the breaking of any law.
Last edited by zeuzzz on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Zeuzzz has been banned for repeated breaches of Rule 1.
You will not post anything that is considered to be potentially criminal.
In other words, you're a slow learner.
Well that's certainly news to me. I've checked my emails and I only ever received one breach of rule one (I will stand corrected on this given ample evidence, but I have been posting there for five years of my life) I never even tipped the caution balance over into the temporary suspension level like many other users do. I never openly advocated the use of anything, this seems to be a retrospective proclamation with no supporting evidence. I kept my arguments quite scientific and exact, in the spirit of the science forum there. My substance related posts were all harm reduction based, not advocacy based or legalization based.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 am

What's a UDV? I thought that stood for Underwater Diving Vehicle.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:23 am

You don't get warnings by email at JREF.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Post by zeuzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You don't get warnings by email at JREF.
You get notifications for threads and other things if you keep that option open. I've got the emails here, maybe you turned off that functionality somewhere along the line.