Life Coaches, oh boy!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Cherry Blossom

Life Coaches, oh boy!

Post by Cherry Blossom » Thu May 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Anyone here familiar with life coaches? Maybe they're more popular in the US, but hey...I'm gathering information on the validity of them is all.

My grandmother is a life coach. She sets up these workshops to help people deal with their every day life problems, usually a whole weekend is set aside for this. A workshop can range from $400-$5000, depending on which one you sign up for.
She's very much into "What the Bleep Do We Know?!" And "The Law of Attraction" and Deepak Chopra. A lot of her beliefs are like a new age (newage! Haha...) Christian. Despite all this, I've been doing her workshops for years now (she lets me in for free since I'm family).

It seems like the core concepts of her work seem to help others. Sure they spend tons of money on her, but at the end of every workshop, and every phone call in between everyone talks about how their life has changed, how they are happier, healthier, their relationships are better and so on and so forth.

Here's her website: http://www.liveatchoice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What she doesn't mention is the "core filters" thing. Basically, as a child, we develop beliefs about the world and ourselves based on the experiences we have. For instance, some one might feel "not good enough" because of something that happened as a child. Growing up, this person resists "not good enough" and tries to prove that they are the exact opposite. In this, they are suffering and unhappy. My gram says that going to "a place of willingness" (another words, not resisting), you embrace the core filter and you are free to just be yourself instead of this thing you made up about yourself a long time ago.

There is way more to it than this, and posting it here just SOUNDS ridiculous, but I'm just trying to pull everything together and really try to see if this is a legitimate thing. I've seen other life coaches--they're full of it! But I wonder if my gram is the exception.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
"Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!" -Gandalf

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: Life Coaches, oh boy!

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 am

Nah. I am not familiar with life coaches, just as I am not familiar with smallpox. I do my best to avoid both of them.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 am

Most of my familiarity with the concept of a life coach comes from the comedy show Hiccups.

But anyone who thinks highly of Deepak Chopra...well. Brrr. Not a good sign.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri May 03, 2013 6:55 am

Life coaching is BS!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Have you ever seen Peep Show?
It's available on Channel 4 in the UK and on Hulu in the US.

Anyway, one of the main characters becomes a life coach in Series 8 and it is hilarious.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

horn2908

Post by horn2908 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Hey there. Not sure if anyone will read this reply, as this is a really old thread. There may be some valid systems/techniques used by your grandmother in her "Life Coaching" practice. It's quite possibe she uses a mixture of techniques, some of which are valid, and some of which are basically nonsense.

The factor of course for figuring out which is which, as you probably know as a skeptic, is evidence. The techniques and concepts that she uses are most likely used elsewhere in Psychotherapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. For example, the idea of "core beliefs" is covered in Transactional Analysis, and is no doubt covered in other therapy modalities but under a different name.

There are many factors to consider when thinking about whether her techniques work, and are valid. Which are two separate things. They may work, but not for the reason that they thinks they do.

Firtsly, there's the placebo effect. Because her clients think that they should be getting happier, they will. It's effectively the power of suggestion. Secondly, the fact that they spend some time each week with someone who is genuinely interested in helping them with their problems, alone, may help. Now, if their situation improves, then they are getting what they wanted from it. It "works". But, understanding why it works is also important. Whether the service she provides is worth what she charges.. well I'll let you decide. In one sense it's worth what people are prepared wo pay for it. But, if them being willing to pay for it is based on incorrect beliefs, is that moral? It doesn't sound like your gram is the kind of person who would knowlingly peddle half-truths for money, if anything she probably believes in the things she's teaching. But that doesn't make them true.

For these types of situations, I'd stick with professionally registered Cognitive Behavioural Therapists and Integrative Psychotherapists.

The debate in the therapy world about the validity of different modalities of psychotherapy rages on, but CBT is widely accpeted as true and valid, as it has a large evidence base.

If your interested in the topic, I'd reccomend this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0801 ... ge_o06_s00

DavidMorganLC

Post by DavidMorganLC » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Hey horn2908, thank you for sharing that piece.

Since I'm a business coach I have to say that I feel a little bit provoked, but I completely understand you guys.
Although I'll have you know that Life Coaches actually have to undergo a serious training and education before acquiring a valid license and diploma - so yes, it is a legitimate profession.

http://blog.evercoach.com/5-places-find ... -training/

Other than that, a certain life coach helped me personally. She helped me regain my focus after a tragedy, supported me when I needed support through some very rough times, and overall made me realize that I am the master of my destiny and helped me to get my life back on track. Today I am a successful marketer and a business coach.

If life coaching is something you don't consider to be a legitimate profession that is your opinion, but most of us are genuinely good people and qualified therapists.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:37 pm

Well, if one can afford to go to Peru and do the Ayahuasca, have people to cook , to wipe his/her ass and change TV channels for them then all the power to them providing they pay all of their taxes.

For ordinary people though, a little peyote or the magic mushroom can be just as curative as the life coach. :bag:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:18 am

I clicked the OP web link, and see that `Grams` has a name… Belanie Dishong., which I assume comes from Baloney Dishonest:D (If not - maybe she should engage a life coach to select a new name...)