Bush 41 RIP

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

George Bush RIH

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:59 pm
Tom Palven wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:43 pm
BTW, back when Bush 43 was running for President, someone from either American Atheists of Freedom From Religion Foundation waylaid him at an airport and asked him what he was doing to get the atheist vote, and he responded that he didn't think that atheists should be considered US citizens.

That's pretty sketchy, and it could even have been Reagan who said that instead of Bush. Maybe some old-timer here can fill in the blanks.
I believe that he could have made that statement, perhaps without enough forethought to see how it might be misconstrued as a bit too anti-freedom of belief. He certainly didn't offend the religious base with it. But it's not at all certain that he made the statement at all.

Here is a well-written article about it:
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/201 ... -citizens/

Thanks.

I checked further. Snopes didn't take a stand, while Yahoo answers said that the best answer is that he did say it:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... ccounter=1
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: George Bush RIH

Post by landrew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 pm
landrew wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:59 pm
Tom Palven wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:43 pm
BTW, back when Bush 43 was running for President, someone from either American Atheists of Freedom From Religion Foundation waylaid him at an airport and asked him what he was doing to get the atheist vote, and he responded that he didn't think that atheists should be considered US citizens.

That's pretty sketchy, and it could even have been Reagan who said that instead of Bush. Maybe some old-timer here can fill in the blanks.
I believe that he could have made that statement, perhaps without enough forethought to see how it might be misconstrued as a bit too anti-freedom of belief. He certainly didn't offend the religious base with it. But it's not at all certain that he made the statement at all.

Here is a well-written article about it:
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/201 ... -citizens/

Thanks.

I checked further. Snopes didn't take a stand, while Yahoo answers said that the best answer is that he did say it:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... ccounter=1
I think it's probably true that he said it, but it wasn't taken in the context at the time that we do at present.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

George Bush / The Facts

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:21 am

Tom Palven wrote:BTW, back when Bush 43 was running for President, someone from either American Atheists or the Freedom From Religion Foundation waylaid him at an airport and asked him what he was doing to get the atheist vote, and he responded that he didn't think that atheists should be considered US citizens.
...Or you could look it up. Here is the real interview. You can see that Landrews is correct
landrews wrote:......but it wasn't taken in the context at the time that we do at present.

August 27, 1987. / O'Hare Airport
Robert I. Sherman / American Atheist Journal : "What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are Atheists?"
VP Bush : I guess I'm pretty weak in the Atheist community. Faith in god is important to me.
Sherman : "Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are Atheists?
VP Bush : "No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
Sherman : "Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?"
VP Bush : "Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on Atheists."

( Mr. Sherman had filed to stop the Community Consolidated School District 21 (Chicago, Illinois, suburb) from forcing his first-grade Atheist son to pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States - "one nation under God")

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

George Bush / The Facts

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:29 am

Tom Palven wrote:Back in 2013 I speculated as to whether Bush Sr. and Dubya are sociopaths,
You are a forest ranger with no psychology training. Which DSM-5 standards did you apply? Show us your work. :lol: :lol: :lol:

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Bush 41 RIP

Post by gorgeous » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

George Bush RIH

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:29 am
Tom Palven wrote:Back in 2013 I speculated as to whether Bush Sr. and Dubya are sociopaths,
You are a forest ranger with no psychology training. Which DSM-5 standards did you apply? Show us your work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just one layman's opinion based on personal observations fwiw to anyone.

I also have opinions about secret police, although I never attended the School of the Americas or worked for ASIS.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Conspiracy theories abound about nearly every person with a measure of fame. Not to pass judgement on Bush 41, but it's customary to show a bit of respect for the dead once they've passed on.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Bush 41 RIH

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:54 pm

Yes, that's customary, but I'll show no more respect for the dead Bush 41 than I did the dead Charles Manson. No respect, none.

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2018/12/01 ... ng-legacy/

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Re: Bush 41 RIH

Post by TJrandom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:54 pm
Yes, that's customary, but I'll show no more respect for the dead Bush 41 than I did the dead Charles Manson. No respect, none.

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2018/12/01 ... ng-legacy/
Sure - Manson did some great things in his life and has a great following. Right? 🙄

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Bush said he should be lynched...how much respect did the nazi have for those he had tortured and murdered and slaughtered? helpless men, women and innocent babies...
Last edited by gorgeous on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:07 pm

so true....fox----Limbaugh on media's 'phony' praise of Bush 41: They were 'vicious and partisan' when he was in office

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:09 pm

I may be the weird one here, but once an evil person dies, there's nothing left to hate.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 pm
Bush said he should be lynched...how much respect did the nazi have for those he had tortured and murdered and slaughtered? helpless men, women and innocent babies...
Bush said Tom should be lynched? I doubt that.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm

“George Herbert Walker Bush: ‘Sarah, if the American people ever find out what we have done, they would chase us down the street and lynch us.’ That is a famous 1992 quote by George Herbert Walker Bush to Sarah McLendon,

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm
“George Herbert Walker Bush: ‘Sarah, if the American people ever find out what we have done, they would chase us down the street and lynch us.’ That is a famous 1992 quote by George Herbert Walker Bush to Sarah McLendon,
Context and link that can be verified to an original source please... Snopes says False.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 pm

on previous page duhhhh...I was watching the interview when he said it....

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Don`t lie.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 pm

like nazi bush and the media?

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

No, like gorgeous...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:38 am

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 pm
like nazi bush and the media?
You are a senile moron Gorgeous. You got Prescott Bush and George Bush Snr, confused only two days ago. You are now making stuff up on the spot to hide your ignorance.

Don't make any more posts unless you supply links to your sources.
Gorgeous 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm

didn't know you were a woman