Atheist Invocation

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Atheist Invocation

Post by Tom Palven » Wed May 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Earl Coggins gave his second non-theist invocation at the Jacksonville Town Council meeting last night. Prior to Earl's invocations the meetings always started with an invocation that mentioned God and usually ended with "in Christ's name, Amen."

As in his first invocation, Earl gently and specifically stated that atheists also want to be included in wishing for good, effective, government in Jacksonville.
https://www.meetup.com/FirstCoastFreeth ... 260740461/

As an aside, I was seated next to Steve and Karen Leibowitz at The Burrito Gallery. Karen is a sweet, 75-year old artist and educator, and her husband, also an artist, is the person I mentioned in another thread who told me he calls himself a conspiracy analyst rather than a conspiracy theorist, and they are both members of the Jacksonville Humanist Book Club.

I mentioned to them that I'd like us to discuss an anti-war book at a future book club meeting, and Karen said something like "Wasn't that a 70's thing?" I said Yes, but look at the wars the US is now involved in in the Mid-East, and then just let it go.

I thought to myself that that is good evidence that even solid humanitarian social justice warriors are blind to the death and destruction going on. And so I've gotten myself assigned to hosting the discussion of William Blum's Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower in August.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: Atheist Invocation

Post by Gord » Thu May 30, 2019 12:07 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower
No agreed definition of what is a 'superpower' exists, and may differ between sources. However, a fundamental characteristic that is consistent with all definitions of a superpower is a nation or state that has mastered the seven dimensions of state power: geography, population, economy, resources, military, diplomacy and national identity.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?