Post by OutOfBreath » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm
OutOfBreath wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am
The insanely rich money people. I know.

Peace
Dan
No, politicians like Nancy Pelosi and Trump may be rich, but they are just a circus sideshow, imvho.
https://www.earnthenecklace.com/nancy-p ... -congress/
You missed my point. The wealth of individual congress people is by no means the point. At best a symptom.
Citizens united is what keeps {!#%@} you up. The insanely rich can spend whatever they want to get their points out, drown out others and find enough shillls to push it. With big data this gets even worse as their targetting improves dramatically. The republican party has been completely hijacked to the degree that they stopped making any sense 2 decades ago. And what's the only thing they are capable of doing? Giving tax cuts and goodies to the already richest.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: A Peace Conspiracy

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:19 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm
Tom Palven wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm
OutOfBreath wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am
The insanely rich money people. I know.

Peace
Dan
No, politicians like Nancy Pelosi and Trump may be rich, but they are just a circus sideshow, imvho.
https://www.earnthenecklace.com/nancy-p ... -congress/
You missed my point. The wealth of individual congress people is by no means the point. At best a symptom.
Citizens united is what keeps {!#%@} you up. The insanely rich can spend whatever they want to get their points out, drown out others and find enough shillls to push it. With big data this gets even worse as their targetting improves dramatically. The republican party has been completely hijacked to the degree that they stopped making any sense 2 decades ago. And what's the only thing they are capable of doing? Giving tax cuts and goodies to the already richest.

Peace
Dan
This is a list of top political contributors:
https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topindivs.php

The Republicans have their huge contributors, but I'm not sure that these top contributors are the main problem. Imho the Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious right, which may consist mainly of a lot of small contributors.

Anyway, at least as far as war and peace is concerned, the main problem to me are the contributions of the MIC and AIPAC, which contribute to politicians of BOTH PARTIES who they think they can influence; and the size of the US military budget is evidence of that.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 am

Hopes for peace renewed on the Korean peninsula:
https://news.antiwar.com/2019/06/30/sur ... ear-talks/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:48 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am
North and South Korea to launch joint Olympic bid:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... r-olympics

Bolton be damned, another development to make neocons cringe. :mrgreen:
They won't need to expend resources to kidnap the next generation of translators and language instructors... :roll:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 am