The Associated Press

Who else knows what we know, Jerry?
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14613
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:31 pm

JO 753 wrote:Just a little languaj trivia - 'our' in Matt's statement duz not exclude you, Tom.
I hope Tom is taking offence for the sake of taking the piss.

It's also why I reckon getting rid of ye, thee, thy, thou, and thine was a bad idea.

You, your, and yours just doesn't cover it. Too many dickheads seeking offence take it personally.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
JO 753 wrote:Just a little languaj trivia - 'our' in Matt's statement duz not exclude you, Tom.
I hope Tom is taking offence for the sake of taking the piss.
Sorry mate, I can't quite grasp your meaning, but anyway, I'm not taking offense to the point of losing sleep.

If it suits Matt's agenda to sound, to me anyway, like a presumptuous control freak, I'll say no more. He can have at it with smilies on top.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14613
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:07 am

You can always make your own Safe Space thread with puppies and bubbles if you don't like playing with the bullies. I've mostly just been hanging out in the social and entertainment threads. Waiting for the next big stupid thing to debunk...

If you think he's stepped across the line, you can always report him. Pyrrho is a very reasonable guy.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 am

Major Malfunction wrote:You can always make your own Safe Space thread with puppies and bubbles if you don't like playing with the bullies. I've mostly just been hanging out in the social and entertainment threads. Waiting for the next big stupid thing to debunk...

If you think he's stepped across the line, you can always report him. Pyrrho is a very reasonable guy.

Nah, I'm a true believer that free unbridled speech is best- that ridcule, slander, whatever should be allowed. Hopefully people will consider the source, examine the evidence, and so on, and if they choose to be misinformed that's the breaks.

Btw, apparently Voltaire didn't actually say "I may disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." I've read that it was his biographer who stated that that was Voltaire's opinion, but not a direct quote, and the biographer may have been taking some poetic license.


Anyway, I agree with Voltaire that speech should be unimpeded, even if it is said to harm the reputations and/or finances of others or myself, but will not defend it to the death.

It' does bug me, however, that the people of the US including me pay people like James Clapper, Ollie North, and John Brennan to lie to us.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14613
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:48 am

Rough-housing is an important social interaction. Have at ye, and tally ho!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 am

Tom Palven wrote: You have used the term "our forum" before, insinuating that my views are not welcome here.
This is the Skeptic's Society forum where skeptics use critical thinking, evidence and the scientific method to pull apart lunatic claims.

You are a just another idiot making bull-{!#%@}, lunatic, conflicting propaganda claims, without an iota of evidence....that skeptics are pulling apart.
:lol: :lol:

We also have idiots here claiming lizard aliens rule the world (without any evidence), the CIA runs the world (without any evidence), that the holocaust never happened (without any evidence), that humans travelled back in time to cause the Big Bang (without any evidence) and so on and so on.

You are not a skeptic.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:37 am

Tom Palven wrote:[Hopefully people will consider the source, examine the evidence, and so on, and if they choose to be misinformed that's the breaks.
You never provide any evidence for your propaganda. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Running away.jpg
Tom Palven wrote:It' does bug me, however, that the people of the US including me pay people like James Clapper, Ollie North, and John Brennan to lie to us.
How is the USA's taxes currently paying for any of these people to do anything?

You simply cannot stop lying.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14527
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: The Associated Press

Post by JO 753 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm

If I may, Tom, let me explain to Matt how.

1. They get a pension, so, even tho they may not be currently lying in an official capasity, any appearensez on the newz, testimony in court, contributionz to print media coud possibly contain liez, therefor it wuz at least partly funded by taxez.

2. Tom rote "people like...", to include the current crop uv Uncle Skam'z lie ajensy top dogz.

3. Accuzing Tom uv lying iz a lie, kuz he iz just expressing hiz belief. Wether he iz correct or not duznt chanje that.

My opinion iz that they do lie. Its just part uv the job. Sumtimez it turnz out lying wuz the rite thing to do, sumtimez its a mistake.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:09 am

JO 753 wrote:1. They get a pension, so, even tho they may not be currently lying in an official capasity, any appearensez on the newz, testimony in court, contributionz to print media coud possibly contain liez, therefor it wuz at least partly funded by taxez.
Ollie North is now president of the NRA. Clapper teaches at a uni. Tom Palven is copying his "Deep State" propaganda from Sean Hannity's show on Fox as Tom is a Donald Trump supporter who copies Russian talk points onto the forum..
hannity deep state 6.jpg
Tom Palven wrote:If you look up "deep state" on Wikipedia you will see it described as a "government within a government."
Neither Clapper, North or Brennan are in government.
JO 753 wrote:2. Tom rote "people like...", to include the current crop uv Uncle Skam'z lie ajensy top dogz.
Tom wrote "people like North Clapper" and so on, because Tom Palven can't name one person who runs his magical "Deep State Illuminati". (...and Tom has previously directly claimed James Clapper is part of his insane Deep State Illuminati conspiracy)
Matthew Ellard wrote:Name one person who belongs to this "Deep State" that you and Sean Hannity claim is the real enemy of Trump?
Tom Palven wrote:James Clapper.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29399&p=645786&hil ... er#p645895
JO 753 wrote:3. Accuzing Tom uv lying iz a lie, kuz he iz just expressing hiz belief. Wether he iz correct or not duznt chanje that.
Tom has been directly lying. Would you like to see the list of his lies?

Can either you or Tom Palven
1) Define the "Deep State" hidden government conspiracy and how it works?
2) Name any member of the "Deep state" with supporting evidence.
Running away.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matthew Ellard on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 am

Tom Palven wrote:.... and we should know within a week or so if the US Deep State/MIC can prevent the North and South Koreans from signing a peace treaty.
Gee gosh Tom..... It wasn't your magical Deep State Illuminati at all. It was North Korea continuing to test nuclear weapons after tricking Trump to end US war games.

North Korea is ‘making improvements’ to nuclear test site
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 5e50264706

So Tom.....tell us all how the "Deep State" and "US Military Industrial Complex" tricked the North Koreans into continuing to test nuclear weapons in North Korea, after the Trump conference? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14527
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: The Associated Press

Post by JO 753 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:31 am

Liez are like gunz - both the good guyz and the bad guyz uze them.

Trump and hiz gang are hozing liez out like machine gun bullets in all directionz. Sum sheepl get hit so many timez they cant tell the differens any more. Other want to believ, so never try.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Gord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 am

Major Malfunction wrote:You can always make your own Safe Space thread with puppies and bubbles if you don't like playing with the bullies.
Or you can do what I do, and just play this game for hours and hours each day: http://www.puffgames.com/games/trump-falling-game/
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: The Associated Press

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote: Can either you or Tom Palven
1) Define the "Deep State" hidden government conspiracy and how it works?
2) Name any member of the "Deep state" with supporting evidence.

1) A fair question. Undefined and imprecise, it's mythology.
- Your question does introduce facts not in evidence, though. No actual conspiracy is required, even a number of powerful like-minded people operating independently could suffice.

2) Not a fair question. It is beyond the capabilities of poor schmucks on the internet to investigate a high level clandestine operation. Geez, Matthew, even the IRS can't accurately investigate their incomes for tax purposes (See: Panama Papers)
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:11 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Can either you or Tom Palven
1) Define the "Deep State" hidden government conspiracy and how it works?
OlegTheBatty wrote:1) A fair question. Undefined and imprecise, it's mythology.
- Your question does introduce facts not in evidence, though. No actual conspiracy is required, even a number of powerful like-minded people operating independently could suffice.
I understand your point but the "Deep State Illuminati" conspiracy, like the "Jewish Illuminati" conspiracy or the "Alien-Lizards disguised as humans controlling the world" conspiracy, still requires the secret members to conspire. If they don't conspire, then they really don't have any control and are really just individuals who could be saying totally different things.

How do these Deep State secret members give each other orders? Carrier pigeon? Secret nods & winks on buses? Secret messages in Stormy Daniels porn movies?

Even KGB illegals, in the USA, had to pick up orders from dead letter boxes and send information back home hidden on microfilm under postcard stamps.
:D
Matthew Ellard wrote:2) Name any member of the "Deep state" with supporting evidence.
OlegTheBatty wrote:2) Not a fair question. It is beyond the capabilities of poor schmucks on the internet to investigate a high level clandestine operation. Geez, Matthew, even the IRS can't accurately investigate their incomes for tax purposes (See: Panama Papers)
Well Tom Palven has all the answers.......
Matthew Ellard wrote:Name one person who belongs to this "Deep State" that you and Sean Hannity claim is the real enemy of Trump?
Tom Palven wrote:James Clapper.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29399&p=645786&hil ... er#p645895
Hannity.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14527
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: The Associated Press

Post by JO 753 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Deep State = any gubmint employee not loyal to Trump.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: The Associated Press

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:[/i] If they don't conspire, then they really don't have any control and are really just individuals who could be saying totally different things. [/color]
They would not be saying totally different things if they all think the same. The 1% pretty much all:

- support lower taxes on the wealthy
- sharply reduced government spending except on the military (gotta protect corporate interests in those shithole countries)
- medicine for maximum profit
- deregulation of corporations and especially the financial industry


So, Matthew, perhaps you can give some evidence of what these 'totally different things' they could be saying are, and give examples of who is saying them.

The only thing that might get their knickers in a twist (that Trump is doing) is tariffs because then they can't run their plants in shithole countries for shithole wages without penalty.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:29 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:So, Matthew, perhaps you can give some evidence of what these 'totally different things' they could be saying are, and give examples of who is saying them.
Too easy.

We actually see examples here in the anti holocaust denial thread. You get two sort of Trump supporters. At face value all holocaust denier are the same. However as soon as you go into detail, the anti-Muslim holocaust deniers are against all "darkie Arabs & Muslims" and yet the Iranian funded (under Ahmadinejad) holocaust deniers love Arabs as they had a war against the Jews. They both support Trump yet I can drive a wedge between them and make the groups fight each other.

We can then look at exactly what the Russians saw in the USA. At face value we have a unified country of USA loving patriots. However if you go into detail, some love the USA because of its free rights, fight against discrimination and equality of all people. The other group love the USA because it has no darkies, white guys still rule, Christianity is the guiding light and so on.

Therefore, if there were a secret Deep State Illuminati running the USA government, (which there isn't) we should easily be able force divisions by stating their goals and beliefs openly. You can sort of see this already with the awful treatment of the FBI. Trump claims the pro-Clinton Deep State is entrenched at FBI to get rid of Trump. Clinton claims the anti-Clinton Deep State is entrenched at the FBI to get rid of Clinton. Both groups believe in a "Deep State"

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14613
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:16 am

I saw an interesting interview with an ex-USSR guy (I can't remember his name) in the '80s, who said that's exactly what they were doing. Driving a wedge by infiltrating universities with Marxist propaganda-touting professors. They were playing the long game. Looking 30 years ahead. And this was in the '80s.

I guess it works.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:44 am

Major Malfunction wrote:I saw an interesting interview with an ex-USSR guy (I can't remember his name) in the '80s, who said that's exactly what they were doing. Driving a wedge by infiltrating universities with Marxist propaganda-touting professors. They were playing the long game. Looking 30 years ahead. And this was in the '80s.
It's a British 18th and 19th century technique. India was all about wedging apart tribes, making them fight each other, then selling them weapons to maximise carnage and then the British could march in and establish law and order.

The Russians from the 1930s tried to wedge apart the International Communist movement (Comintern) from the Stalinist "communist in one country" mobs and in the 1950s further wedge apart the International Maoists from the Comintern, simply so Russia could control all international groups.

Here we are today with the European members of NATO fighting the USA in NATO....with the European trade block having a trade war with the USA trade block. Russia will offer free trade barriers to Europe to allow Europe to maintain GPD as the trade war deepens and Europe will drop economic sanctions against Russia.....after the world cup , which the USA did not participate in.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Gord » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:20 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:25 am

Thank you Gord.

We can now date the expression "Deep State" from as early as 1992, from the cartoon strip. Bloom County
:D

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Gord » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:58 am

That one's from today. It's new. 2018.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Aztexan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:07 pm

The Deep State wants you to think it's new.
trump is Putin's bitch

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 am

Gord wrote:That one's from today. It's new. 2018.
Bloom County is back? I had to check that and it appears to be true. I was a fan in the 80's.

In July 2015 Breathed hinted at a return to the strip when he posted a photo to Facebook of him at his computer, starting a cartoon entitled "Bloom County 2015". He added: "A return after 25 years. Feels like going home."[10] The strip was later posted to Facebook.[11] He has subsequently been posting new Bloom County strips via Facebook on an almost-daily basis, as of January 2018.[12][13] (In 2016, "2015" was dropped from the new strip's name.)[14]

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Gord » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 am

Yes, it's sort of back. I've been following it on Gocomics, but not every strip he puts on bookface ends up there. I think Gocomics refuses some of them due to their content, but I'm not sure -- maybe Breathed just doesn't send them to Gocomics when he thinks they're a bit more risque than usual?

https://www.gocomics.com/bloom-county/2 ... ti=2227990
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
JO 753 wrote: I think you meant 'frustrate', not 'fraught' Matt.
I think "fraught" is OK. We will need to check with Gord.
"They used early fiber optic cables to fraught debugging devices"
I think you mean thwart.
Yes, it seems he meant "thwart" debugging devices.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Gord » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:31 pm

We already did this a year ago:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:Hamper. It's a synonym of "fraught" and would fit in there, too.
Thank you Gord. However, Major Malfunction is right. I had a brain seizure and confused thwart with fraught. :D
Image
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:55 am

Gord wrote:Hamper. It's a synonym of "fraught" and would fit in there, too.

"They used early fiber optic cables to hamper debugging devices."

"Fraught" as an adjective means "laden or burdened".

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... sh/fraught
fraught adjective

1. fraught with something filled with something unpleasant
  • - a situation fraught with danger/difficulty/problems
2. (especially British English) causing or feeling worry and anxiety
  • - She looked/sounded fraught.
    - There was a fraught silence.
    - The atmosphere remained fraught.
    - Things are as fraught as ever in the office.
Hamper doesn't seem to be a synonym of fraught:

Definition of hamper
hampered; hampering play \ˈham-p(ə-)riŋ\
transitive verb
1
a : to restrict the movement of by bonds or obstacles : impede
pitching … violently in the seaway, hampered by her heavy tow —R. S. Porteous
b : to interfere with the operation of : disrupt
radio communications hampered by static —Globe & Mail
2
a : to moderate or limit the effect or full exercise of : curb, restrain a work environment that hampers creativity
b : to interfere with : to impede the natural activity of : encumber Bad weather hampered the search effort. a project hampered by budget restraints
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34978
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Gord » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:41 pm

They're both related to the concept of something being impeded.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19333
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: The Associated Press

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:29 am

There is no impeding in fraught. Fraught is a worry. If you worry, you may be impeded, or you may be encouraged to act more forecefully. In either case, there is no impeding in fraught. At best....it is one step removed and too variable to be "part of" its definition...…...which is why it isn't.

A grease fire on the stove might interrupt my composing this posting thereby impeding it.....but by definition, grease fires do not impede.

Its the difference between what is, and what is related. Only what is, is. Everything is realted to everything else....just a matter of degree.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:00 am

From 7/3/17 to 7/3/18 , 456 MSNBC articles on Stormy Daniels, zero articles on the US war in Yemen:
https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/msm- ... 774266dbfe
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:20 am

Tom Palven wrote:From 7/3/17 to 7/3/18 , 456 MSNBC articles on Stormy Daniels, zero articles on the US war in Yemen:
https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/msm- ... 774266dbfe
The USA is not at war in Yemen, you complete idiot. The Saudi Arabians, UAE, Morocco, Sudan and Senegal are at war the Houthis. France, the UK and the USA are supplying weapons to the Saudis. Iran, North Korea and Hezbollah are supplying weapons to the Houthis.

A third of the country is still controlled by Al Qaeda and ISIL.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Not a Treasury Dept. press release covered by the AP as news:
https://www.rt.com/business/446355-us-d ... al-crisis/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19333
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: The Associated Press

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:19 pm
Not a Treasury Dept. press release covered by the AP as news:
https://www.rt.com/business/446355-us-d ... al-crisis/
Must be time to cut social welfare programs. "Starve the Beast" has been GOP SOP for a few decades now. Ultimately.........the beast will die. Sad, those who rely on the beast for their very existence are still cheering this result.

.............silly hoomans.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm

An Associated Press article by Bassem Mroue in today's Times-Union, Jacksonville, FL, begins;

"BEIRUT-- An Islamic State suicide bomber targeted a joint convoy of U.S. and allied Kurdish forces in northern Syria on Monday, marking the second attack against U.S. troops in less than a week and further highlighting the dangers surrounding U.S. plans to withdraw forces after a declaration that the extremist group had been defeated."

The spin that the attack highlights the dangers of leaving Syria instead of the dangers of staying in Syria even makes Russia Today look less biased than the AP; biased in favor of the Pentagon, State Dept., MIC, Lindsey Graham, entrenched neoconservative Deep State imperialist running-dog warmonger position, imvho.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2301
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: The Associated Press

Post by OutOfBreath » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:39 pm

A fan of IS now? Or just anxious for russia to have syria for itself...

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:12 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:39 pm
A fan of IS now? Or just anxious for russia to have syria for itself...

Peace
Dan
Why should the US be trying to overthrow the Assad regime instead of something really, truly, despicable like the elite royal Saudi regime or the repressive Egyptian regime?

Ask yourself that question.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Tom Palven is an idiot

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 am

Tom Palven wrote: "BEIRUT-- An Islamic State suicide bomber targeted a joint convoy of U.S. and allied Kurdish forces in northern Syria on Monday, marking the second attack against U.S. troops in less than a week
Trump lied and said the USA defeated ISIS. ISIS is now killing as many USA soldiers as possible before they go, to show how ISIS defeated the USA. The Kurds swapped sides to join Syian and Russia to destroy ISIS.

Tom Palven shows his solidarity with ISIS and looks forward to ISIS banning women's education, amputating limbs for minor crimes and shooting non Islamics again.
:lol: :lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6258
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

"Ellard" iz an (@#$&)

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 am
The Kurds swapped sides to join Syria and Russia to destroy ISIS.
:lol: :lol:
So, if the objective is to destroy ISIS, why not let the Kurds, Russia, and Syria do it?
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11990
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: "Ellard" iz an (@#$&)

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 am
The Kurds swapped sides to join Syria and Russia to destroy ISIS.
:lol: :lol:
So, if the objective is to destroy ISIS, why not let the Kurds, Russia, and Syria do it?
In the meantime, ISIS attacking Americans is ok with you?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist