Woman claims to be allergic to water and also not drink any water.

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Willywizz

Woman claims to be allergic to water and also not drink any water.

Post by Willywizz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 pm

I recently came across this cheesy article about a girl named ''Heidi Falconer'' who is so severely allergic to water (and was born with it, apparently!) that if she gets just a teeny drop of water in her throat, she could die of severe shock. Here's the article - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/thie ... 17690.html

She also says she cannot drink water or she will die. Instead she has to drink milk and orange juice, ''which because of their chemical composition bring her no harm''.

There are also other articles about her for instance her celebrating her 21st birthday - https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/l ... 21st-58672

mmm lets see here.....

Her symptoms aren't consistent at all with ''Aquagenic Urticaria'' which is a skin condition only and it is not an allergy, more to do with water on the skin reacting with a compound, and then producing an irritant. The only overlap is she reacts on her skin...It does not affect drinking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_urticaria However ''Heidi'' here claims that she will go into shock if she swallows it or if she's injected with water *ill get to that in a lil bit*~

It also seems as if others have followed her lead as there were a bunch of other women claiming they were ''so allergic'' to water that they could not drink water without their throats closing up - this woman says she has to drink diet cola/pepsi to survive - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tears.html some others were named Rachel Warwick and Barbara Ward iirc but don't quote me on that..

edit I just found another article, this one says she once drank a ''mouthful'' of water by mistake and her body went into shock that was only reversed when she was given adrenaline -

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JUST+ONE ... a061152595
quote-
''Heidi once drank a mouthful of water by mistake and her body went into shock which was only reversed by a dose of adrenaline. ''

The same source also says she had a major allergic reaction after she had an 'appendix surgery' and required an IV drip, and then reacted because the drip was ''water based''!

The parents seem pretty eccentric themselves as they say they gave up on seeing doctors when they told them an allergy to water isn't possible so they instead referred themselves to Chinese herbalists and Homeopathic 'doctors'

what's going on here? A hoax for fame and attention? I tried looking through medical literature *thru google, mainly the https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov site~* and her case is.... nowhere to be seen.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: Woman claims to be allergic to water and also not drink any water.

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Here, drink up. What's next? Human spontanous combustion? :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Willywizz wrote: She also says she cannot drink water or she will die.
Do you know what that means? She's a shai-hulud!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandworm_(Dune)
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:22 pm

I have known a few winos... she isn`t alone.

Io
Poster

Post by Io » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:10 am

She must be constantly spitting.
Sounds like a stress or anxiety-related condition. I wonder what happens if she's wiped with a wet sponge whilst unconscious.

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am

Io wrote:She must be constantly spitting.
Sounds like a stress or anxiety-related condition. I wonder what happens if she's wiped with a wet sponge whilst unconscious.
spitting?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:15 pm

psych problem....orange juice, sodas have water in it...other foods she's had likely had water in it...I knew an elderly woman in the hospital who insisted she couldn't swallow...she had many emotional and psychological problems...I sat with her and chatted about her animals...soon she swallowed her meds with water and didn't realize it...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:20 pm

I knew a man who was suffering from osteoporosis. He claimed he was allergic to calcium.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm

gorgeous wrote:psych problem....orange juice, sodas have water in it...other foods she's had likely had water in it...I knew an elderly woman in the hospital who insisted she couldn't swallow...she had many emotional and psychological problems...I sat with her and chatted about her animals...soon she swallowed her meds with water and didn't realize it...
The sad thing about psych problems is that you can't just snap out of it, otherwise you would.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

it's weird how the mind works ...people with multiple personalities sometimes have one personality with allergies, one that needs glasses, one that stutters...one that has no problems..
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:30 pm

the elderly lady did snap out of it...literally...she hated being in the hospital and those trying to get her to eat and drink were the 'enemy'....I was an acquaintance who distracted her with talk of her home life with the animals...

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:47 pm

another weird thing...before glasses existed people seemed to have better eyesight ...someone asked why so many people suddenly decided they needed glasses when they had good eyesight before they were invented....I said before that I gave myself suggestions for months before going to sleep that my eyesight was improving...months later I went to the doctor who said my eyesight had improved...

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 pm

I read about a surgeon who gave his patients he was operating on suggestions on where he wanted their blood pressure and heart rate levels to stay ....it worked over and over again...

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:51 pm

gorgeous wrote:psych problem....orange juice, sodas have water in it...other foods she's had likely had water in it...I knew an elderly woman in the hospital who insisted she couldn't swallow...she had many emotional and psychological problems...I sat with her and chatted about her animals...soon she swallowed her meds with water and didn't realize it...
hmmm you may be onto something.. could anaphylactic shock be psychogenic? it mentions how she accidentally drank a mouthful of water and her body went into shock, which required an epi pen to reverse, and also that she had the worlds first appendix surgery where the surgeons didnt use any water, but then she reacted to the IV drip afterwards cause it was 'water based'

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:54 pm

sounds like a psych problem definitely...

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:56 pm

gorgeous wrote:sounds like a psych problem definitely...
Have you got any references to psychologically induced anaphylaxis? im interested!
according to her parents...... she's been this way since she was born and shes now in her 30s. why do you think her mind reacts badly to water that it causes physical symptoms? what would be the trigger?

ive heard rabies causes some huge fear of water.... but im not sure she has rabies lol

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:03 pm

no references ...just from my experience with people with psych problems...they might try placebo effect type of test on her...get her to eat or drink something with water telling her it has no water , then show her later the ingredients....or have tapes made with positive water suggestions...who knows...maybe she was forced to drink water as a kid or almost drowned/choked on water....

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:23 pm

after doing some googling stress induced analphlaxis is indeed a thing~
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=uk

so if someone feels theyre gonna go into shock after eating/drinking something its easy to see they could go into shock cause of the stress of thinking about it, seems pretty rare tho

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:24 pm

mind/body connection is gaining more acceptance....I wonder about people with chronic pain with no known cause ...how often suggestion therapy or meditation or hypnosis works for that...

Io
Poster

Post by Io » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Willywizz wrote:
spitting?
Yes, spitting. Saliva is mostly water, after all.

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Io wrote:
Willywizz wrote:
spitting?
Yes, spitting. Saliva is mostly water, after all.
no mention of her having problems with saliva always in her mouth ....yet a sip of water or IV of water sends her into anaphylaxis? lol
also something I noticed after rereading the article is her parents say she drinks 4 small glasses of milk or oj a day but she eats 'dry cereal' and can't eat ice cream or ice lollies~

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Rather obviously psychosomatic.
Not that this helps. People have 'believed ' their way into an early grave before today. Psychological ills are still a real problem, often not able to be cured.

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Rather obviously psychosomatic.
Not that this helps. People have 'believed ' their way into an early grave before today. Psychological ills are still a real problem, often not able to be cured.
yep i believe it is, if the case isn't just an attention grab. but i am curious what initially triggered the relation between water and anaphylaxis? what are your thoughts on the ''world first'' surgery where surgeons believed the parents and didn't use any water products during the surgery only for her to have a reaction all over her body including hives all over her body when given a drip / IV as it was water based ?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 pm

She already uses and drinks water. Just not pure water. An IV drip is not pure water. It is saline isotonic with blood serum. That is, it contains salt.

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:She already uses and drinks water. Just not pure water. An IV drip is not pure water. It is saline isotonic with blood serum. That is, it contains salt.
Her parents still said she had an anaphylaxis reaction after being given the IV because it contained water and water was going inside her body.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 pm

the parents are suspect...

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 pm

gorgeous wrote:the parents are suspect...
Can you elaborate?

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 am

The parents are H and O, and the woman is an H too. She runs into problems when another H is added.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:19 am

they said she had this problem since birth...maybe it was for fame and attention, maybe they brainwashed her...

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:59 am

Maybe they lied.

Gorgeous, you are so gullible.
Accept this. People tell lies. When a statement is not credible, the strongest probability is that it is a lie.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm

could be a lie , but could be they convinced her...

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:40 pm

gorgeous wrote:could be a lie , but could be they convinced her...
They apparently also convinced the surgeons to not use any water while operating on her appendix...
I'm wondering though, would surgeons take parents seriously if they said not to put any H2O inside of her body because she's severely allergic to it..?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:59 pm

wouldn't think so...humans can't live without water

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 pm

I don`t think that surgeons use water in surgeries - instead they use `solutions`. :roll:

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:19 am

Human saline is used. That is, water with the right amount of salt added to be isotonic with our internal fluids, and then sterilized.

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:43 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Human saline is used. That is, water with the right amount of salt added to be isotonic with our internal fluids, and then sterilized.
Yet they gave her a saline drip after surgery so she reacted to it..? idk this whole narrative of hers is full of inconsistencies

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:59 am

Absolutely.
When it is all in the mind, do you expect it to be consistent ?

Io
Poster

Post by Io » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am

Obviously she's not allergic to water: there's water in saliva, sweat, orange juice, milk, mucus, food, blood and the air. How is she cleaning herself? What if she cries? Gets caught out in the rain? Bleeds?
It's fairly clear that the problem is either psychosomatic brought on by stress or anxiety, or it's bullshit. I expect her reactions are to the things she perceives as being watery, which is why I wondered what would happen if she was exposed to water while completely unconscious (and away from subtle subconscious cues from others around her before and after that test that might stimulate a reaction).

Just knowing it's all in the mind is no solution, unfortunately. I have constant problems with my throat seizing up - there's nothing wrong with it as numerous exams with lights, tubes & cameras inserted into my face have proved, but knowing it's all in my mind doesn't make it go away. At least admitting the actual source of the problem allows the correct treatment to be pursued, though.

I'm assuming the surgeons concessions to this woman's treatment are down to them admitting the effect if not the cause.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Attention seekers

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:58 am

gorgeous wrote:could be a lie , but could be they convinced her...
Amazing. Here you are, as an elderly bloke in their 70s, posting 1960's rubbish about Jane Robert's invented chanelled alien "Seth" and claiming another human was duped.

It amazes me how stupid some people are. Do you think for a nanosecond, this person may be as stupid, or simply seeking attention, as you are?
:lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Not worried about this kind of allergy, my heritage protects me...
Spoiler:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.