opinions on past lives?

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm

You don't need to agree with someone to show basic respect.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:46 pm
no one mentioned castes...
I did. Societies that believe in reincarnation as part of their general religion (we know which ones I'm talking about), tend towards castes.

Say I'm wrong.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27994
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 pm

landrew wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm
You don't need to agree with someone to show basic respect.
Wrong! :mrgreen:
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27994
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Now what happens if I agree with Malf? :scratch:
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:54 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 pm
landrew wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm
You don't need to agree with someone to show basic respect.
Wrong! :mrgreen:
Too true, Scrams. Nicely put.

To disagree with someone and show basic respect, you have to have an agreement beforehand to have basic respect if you have a disagreement.

It sounds like circular logic, but it's one of the foundations of civilisation.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:57 pm

well castes are wrong...we are to help each other....decent people don't need to call names to feel superior to others.....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27994
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 pm

:laff:
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19314
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:15 pm

landrew wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm
You don't need to agree with someone to show basic respect.
Doesn't that pretty much depend on the subject?

"I hate all xyz." ///// How much "respect" should be shown such a person?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 pm

from "The Watchers II" by raymond fowler............woman abducted by grey aliens has encounter...her husbund has encounter with the Elders (beings of light) ...they teach him how multiple lives work.......they tell him------"How you react , what you do in your life...it is all recorded...the process determines how rapidly you will advance....what teaching you need...what hardship you must undergo to deepen your understanding.-------Evil serves a necessary purpose. ...There must be a degree of evil....without evil there can be no good....there would be nothing to overcome....there would be no growth.".......-----------------same elders as previous past life guy encountered....in another nde a woman complained how hard life on Earth was...she was told by the elders that life is meant to be hard...without struggle lessons are not learned.....a common teaching is in many books---"A soul only evolves from suffering"....in other nde people are told the fast track in evolving and learning is also through suffering....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:41 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 pm
from "The Watchers II" by raymond fowler............woman abducted by grey aliens has encounter...her husbund has encounter with the Elders (beings of light) .
It's science fiction, you idiot. In his book, Anatomy of an Abductee, Fowler writes a novel about his own abduction by aliens, using the outline of the story from the Betty and Barney Hill abduction story.

Fowler's more recent novels don't have UFOs at all but are about human brains working in synchronicity.
:lol:

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:19 am

I think it was Terry Pratchett (or perhaps Douglas Adams?), that put forth the idea of the "inspiron particle" (inspiration particle) to explain why a bunch of people all have the same idea at the same time.

His hypothesis goes that every now and then, there's a rain of inspiron particles, kinda like a burst of cosmic rays from a supernova thousands of light years away.

The particles contain information, similar to the quantum information in photons, but more like neutrinos, in that they don't normally interact with anything. They just pass right through...

But under very rare circumstances, they might intersect with a particularly receptive mind on the cusp of a revolutionary breakthrough idea, and cause the "ping" that lights up their whole brain.

He suggests there's a normal constant rate of inspiron particles in the Universe, which drive steady advancement, but there's usually no more than a few receptive individuals at any one time.

However, when there's a massive inspiron particle burst, that's what causes a massive simultaneous shift in thinking, culture, and technological advancement.

It's fun to think about. Next time you have a good idea that suddenly just springs into your mind. Maybe you were just intersected by an inspiron particle....

;)
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:28 am

And now I think about it, maybe there are "anti" or "dark" inspiron particles, too. It only makes sense.

That would explain why the world seems to have suddenly turned stupid in the last few years.

A dark inspiron supernova nearby, and only a few of us were immune.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 am

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 am

gorgeous wrote: The girls who had a vision of being in a fire
The girl simply had a vision of being in a fire and that's it. There is no evidence presented that this is about reincarnation. It is evidence that a girl had a dream. So What? :lol: :lol:

User avatar
TJrandom
Has No Life
Posts: 11996
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Custom Title: Salt of the earth
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by TJrandom » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:20 am

I have had recollections of having been in a threesome - surely it is proof of a prior life, since I swear it hasn’t happened in this one. :)

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 am

ellard---"The girl simply had a vision of being in a fire and that's it"-----------...and where is the evidence for that???....where is your evidence that it was a dream???
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:26 pm

You're funny, gorgeous. That's why we keep you around.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 pm

what is funny? they have no evidence
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Humour is subjective.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:43 pm

so is humor
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Walk a kilometre in my thongs.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

americans don't walk kilos ...yards or miles....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:07 pm

But you do wear thongs.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:07 pm
But you do wear thongs.
BoratThong.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Those are sensible shoes.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by gorgeous » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm

never wore thongs in any life
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Snails only have one foot, so they never really developed the need for thongs.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Just for the record, I never wore a loincloth either.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14612
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I imagine you wear scrungies.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 am

gorgeous wrote: ellard---"The girl simply had a vision of being in a fire and that's it"-----------...and where is the evidence for that???....where is your evidence that it was a dream???
The girls said she had a dream of being in a fire and is scared of fires. That's it. List any other evidence from this Oprah interview that it is reincarnation.. You can't. There isn't any.

Are you admitting you didn't watch your own idiotic video link?
:lol: :lol:

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 am
gorgeous wrote: ellard---"The girl simply had a vision of being in a fire and that's it"-----------...and where is the evidence for that???....where is your evidence that it was a dream???
The girls said she had a dream of being in a fire and is scared of fires. That's it. List any other evidence from this Oprah interview that it is reincarnation.. You can't. There isn't any.

Are you admitting you didn't watch your own idiotic video link?
:lol: :lol:
Are you a fan of Philip Klass, perhaps?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:01 am

gorgeous wrote: never wore thongs in any life
Thank god for that.

It would look like a small old wrinkled half-plucked chicken being hung by two bits of string, tied around the middle of the chicken.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:03 am

landrew wrote: Are you a fan of Philip Klass, perhaps?
I am a fan of evidence.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:13 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:03 am
landrew wrote: Are you a fan of Philip Klass, perhaps?
I am a fan of evidence.
Aren't we all, but some of us have different rules for weighing it.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 am

landrew wrote: Are you a fan of Philip Klass, perhaps?
Matthew Ellard wrote: I am a fan of evidence.
landrew wrote:Aren't we all, but some of us have different rules for weighing it.
Yes. In my world, there actually has to be some evidence to examine. List the claim and all the supporting evidence in the Oprah video Gorgeous posted. You can't. There isn't any. :lol:

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:20 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 am
landrew wrote: Are you a fan of Philip Klass, perhaps?
Matthew Ellard wrote: I am a fan of evidence.
landrew wrote:Aren't we all, but some of us have different rules for weighing it.
Yes. In my world, there actually has to be some evidence to examine. List the claim and all the supporting evidence in the Oprah video Gorgeous posted. You can't. There isn't any. :lol:
Of course there's only one skeptic doing it properly. Witness testimony counts for nothing.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:23 am

landrew wrote: Of course there's only one skeptic doing it properly. Witness testimony counts for nothing.
A girl remembering a dream is not witness testimony you absolute idiot.. :lol: :lol:

Is that your "skill level" in weighing up evidence? :lol: :lol:

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:23 am
landrew wrote: Of course there's only one skeptic doing it properly. Witness testimony counts for nothing.
A girl remembering a dream is not witness testimony you absolute idiot.. :lol: :lol:

Is that your "skill level" in weighing up evidence? :lol: :lol:
Do you have a book of fallacies that you use for reference? Is opened to "straw man fallacy" right now?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: color=#000080]A girl remembering a dream is not witness testimony you absolute idiot.. [/color] :lol: :lol:

Is that your "skill level" in weighing up evidence? :lol: :lol:
landrew wrote:Do you have a book of fallacies that you use for reference? Is opened to "straw man fallacy" right now?
No. I ask again. How is a girl remembering a dream eye witness testimony? Do you want to borrow my book on fallacies to see why this is not eye witness testimony?

You didn't watch Gorgeous's "Oprah" video at all did you? :lol:

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11264
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: opinions on past lives?

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:40 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 am
Matthew Ellard wrote: color=#000080]A girl remembering a dream is not witness testimony you absolute idiot.. [/color] :lol: :lol:

Is that your "skill level" in weighing up evidence? :lol: :lol:
landrew wrote:Do you have a book of fallacies that you use for reference? Is opened to "straw man fallacy" right now?
No. I ask again. How is a girl remembering a dream eye witness testimony? Do you want to borrow my book on fallacies to see why this is not eye witness testimony?

You didn't watch Gorgeous's "Oprah" video at all did you? :lol:
Yep ,that's how Philip Klass behaved. If you can't argue, just badger.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.