Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Dr. Alex Tanous is cited by believers as the only psychic that was able to identify the pictures in a Out of Body experience. I am posting this because I found not threat about this or any skeptical information:

Its on the page 12:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 278175.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have some skeptical information about this guy??
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by kennyc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I don't know, but that was published over 30 years ago.....

And I'd want to know a lot more about the setup, the science, the tests, etc.

As you and I both know, none of these things have ever held up under Rational Scientific Inquiry.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:13 pm

This is my conclusion:

Dr. Alex Tanous a critical look:

First lets look onto the study – Out of Body research at the ASPR by Karlis Osis.

1. The date is very leading here. The study that verified Alex Tanous powers happened in summer in the year 1974.

Project Alpha which was a hoax and fooled many parapsychologist happened in 1979.
Project Alpha was an elaborate hoax in 1979, orchestrated by the stage magician and skeptic James Randi.
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Alpha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“After the pilot study with Ingo Swann.”


Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 278175.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the study they started with Ingo Swann who is a known fraud who believes that aliens are already here and skeptics have destroyed his claims several times. The info on this can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingo_Swann" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.skepdic.com/remotevw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However lets return to the mentioned study. They had gathered about 100 people who had the task to identify objects on a table where the OBErs were located in another room. When the person has returned he then had to answer a questionnaire. Those who passed were then send into the laboratory test. The researchers concluded from this test that the overall results were not significant and only some OBErs it seemed were able to “see”.

However lets move onto Alex Tanous:

The researchers use biblical terms where Alex Tanous wanted to separated the OB vision and the rest – chaff. They even claim that he was not right every time but in the end his scores became better. However this happened even for one female subject – page 2 in the pdf.

This is odd to me. So he was not right every time and he was not precise. It seems this is more to do with guessing. I admit I have problem to translate some of the words because they are very old.

Then there we have the photography section of the study. They claim that when a psychic did OBEs he they were able to see a ball light and a blue mist. However it was STOLEN what a coincidence. – page 3.

This was the first study that happened in 1974.

Now lets continue with the study that happened in the year 1980 in October. It was again headed by the same person - Karlis Osis along with Donna McCormick. It beings on page 4 of the pdf.:

This experiment is about Alex Tanous. He was put into a soundproof room. He then uses a relaxation technique and meditation. The he sends his double – which he calls Alex 2. Hmm nice he can create soul clones of himself.

Then Alex 2 was sent into a room where was a computer that generated images which he should describe – they are composed of form, position and color. They write he had misses and founds in their findings but no results how many misses and how many hits..

Found more info in the pdf:

He scored 114 out of 197. Page 12 in the pdf.

In this http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 278175.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However coming this leaves me skeptical. For many reasons. Project Alpha has happened in the year 1979 but the results came out in 1981:
In mid-1981, the two were fairly famous in the psi world, and even outside it, and Phillips decided to release a research brief at a workshop of the Parapsychological Association Convention (August 1981). According to the researchers' official version, Phillips also wrote to Randi to ask for a tape of fake metal-bending, which was to be shown alongside the recording of Shaw and Edwards. The researchers were looking for opinions and critical input from the parapsychology community and finally released a revised abstract that reflected the received criticism in its conservative and skeptical language.[9] After the announcements in the press, Randi wrote to the lab again and stated that it was entirely possible the two were magicians, using common sleight of hand to fool the researchers.


Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Alpha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The study was conducted in 1980. It is also shocking that no one besides Dr. Karlis Osis tested Dr. Alex Tanous. If he would be a true psychic this would change the world as we know it. He would proof that we are immortal.

Second thing on page 7 of the pdf. He claims that everyone can leave his body by doing only some relaxation techniques?? This is odd then every human in the world would be a OBE master and not only he.

Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 278175.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the PEAR lab where they even tested OBEs was established in 1979 and closed down with no results that would verify PSI and one of the projects was also Remote viewing:

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/pear_lab_ ... _research/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.skepdic.com/pear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why didn’t Alex Tanous work there? Why didn’t he tried when he is such a OBE master??

Also the researcher Karlis Osis is a believer nothing good:
He repeated this experiment again in 1976, this time investigating the effects high fevers, painkillers and diseases which specifically affect the brain, had on a patients reported experiences at the time of death.[5] Despite the far smaller pool of data (the newer study involved just 877 doctors in the USA alone), Osis concluded to his satisfaction that what he called the "sick brain hypothesis" – that the decrease of brain activity was causally linked to near death experiences – did not stand up to scrutiny.[5]

On being asked about the practical applications of his theories, Osis remarked that "One definite finding of the research is the diminishing fear of death".[6]
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlis_Osis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also as for Alex Tanous he done many “claimed” remarkable feats. Some of them are even too foolish – like that he was born like a psychic god:
Before he was born—even before his parents met—it was foreseen that he would have Psychic Powers. “You will have a son,” Kahlil Gibran counseled Alex’s father, “a man of exceptional gifts, of great abilities—but also a man of great sorrows.” Alexander Tanous, born in Van Buren, Maine in 1926 began to display unusual psychic powers at the age of 18 months. By the time he was nine he had accurately predicted the imminent death of an apparently healthy family friend. At thirteen, he cautioned a neighbor’s son against crossing railroad tracks—within a short time, the boy was killed by a train. Coincidence? Not according to the evidence of his later years.
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/biography-alex-tanous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He even “predicted” the death of John Lennon like many psychics before therefore nothing new:
On August 23, 1980, Lee Spiegel, who hosted an NBC radio show Unexplained Phenomena, was interviewing psychic Alex Tanous for a show that was to be broadcast later. The interview took place at the American Society for Psychical Research at West 73rd Street in New York, directly across the street from the Dakota Apartments. Spiegel asked Tanous to predict something that would occur in the next few months that would be of interest to the many rock fans in the audience.

Tanous replied: "The prediction that I will make is that a very famous rock star will have an untimely death and this can happen from this moment on. I say untimely because there is something strange about his death, but it will affect the consciousness of many people because of his fame."
Taken from: http://browse.feedreader.com/c/Haunting_Breaks/13120731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Tanous doesn’t name the name of the person who will die. This is very vague and not a hit on his psychic powers.

Also another information about him:
Also documented by the ASPR are his powers of astro-projection, bilocation, ESP, psychometry, the Bergman test, and all of his past predictions. In addition, he demonstrated the ability to practice teleportation, faith-healing, communication with ghosts, solidifying light and projecting his thoughts on a screen.

Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/biography-alex-tanous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tanous, a self-proclaimed psychic who made headlines with his predictions, died Saturday in South Portland, Maine, of heart failure. He was 63. Tanous was credited with helping police trace a man who abducted and killed an 8-year-old boy by providing them with a sketch that turned out to resemble the suspect.
Taken from: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/199 ... illed-alex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


As for the boy story: Tanous said only that they will find him dead and under something. That is all a very vague answer. Also he died in the age of 63 on cancer. Didn’t he foreseen that??

Taken from: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 19,2200608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If he had so many powers. He would be a rulling god by now and we would not doubt that psychic powers exist.

Also this leaves me very skeptical:
In an experiment using neuroimaging to resolve the psi debate (Moulton and Kosslyn, 2008) wrote:

Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) was used in an effort to document the existence of psi. If psi exists, it occurs in the brain, and hence, assessing the brain directly should be more sensitive than using indirect behavioral methods (as have been used previously). To increase sensitivity, this experiment was designed to produce positive results if telepathy, clairvoyance (i.e., direct sensing of remote events), or precognition (i.e., knowing future events) exist. Moreover, the study included biologically or emotionally related participants (e.g., twins) and emotional stimuli in an effort to maximize experimental conditions that are purportedly conducive to psi. In spite of these characteristics of the study, psi stimuli and non-psi stimuli evoked indistinguishable neuronal responses-although differences in stimulus arousal values of the same stimuli had the expected effects on patterns of brain activation. These findings are the strongest evidence yet obtained against the existence of paranormal mental phenomena.[7]
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi_(parapsychology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)


The studies have been done by The American Society for Psychical Research and if they would find PSI then they would be doing something more useful and have a Nobel prize in their pockets and not only doing this:
In recent years the ASPR has participated in groundbreaking exhibits of rare photographs at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and the Maison Europeenne de la Photographie in Paris. It also participated in exhibits at the Hammer Gallery in Los Angeles, the Shelburne Museum in Vermont, Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, Design and Culture, and at the Drawing Center in New York City. The ASPR is currently developing a special exhibit from its archives that was initially funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Taken from: http://www.aspr.com/who.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is my look. Everyone can contribute if he wants..
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 pm

kennyc wrote:I don't know, but that was published over 30 years ago.....

And I'd want to know a lot more about the setup, the science, the tests, etc.

As you and I both know, none of these things have ever held up under Rational Scientific Inquiry.
Yes I know that it will not hold up. However if you want to help me I would be grateful. The setting is on page 4 - October 1980 study in the papers and the results are in the end page 12..

If someone could help me with debunking the setup of the study how it can be opened to error. I will appreciate that very much..
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by kennyc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Well, yes, but why? Particlularly when it's something over 30 years ago and much more critical tests and scientific examination of these claims have been done. If it's just for your personal experience, research, debunking skill, then fine, but I really see no need or reason to examine it further.

It's like that UFO believer guy that has been posting all his anecdotes (AKA "Cases") from 20/30 years ago.

And laser beams burning through underwear and not pants 120 years ago and ....

and...

Sorry, this definitely seems to have a bit more real information behind it, but still it's not really worth much effort IMO.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:19 pm

kennyc wrote:Well, yes, but why? Particlularly when it's something over 30 years ago and much more critical tests and scientific examination of these claims have been done. If it's just for your personal experience, research, debunking skill, then fine, but I really see no need or reason to examine it further.

It's like that UFO believer guy that has been posting all his anecdotes (AKA "Cases") from 20/30 years ago.

And laser beams burning through underwear and not pants 120 years ago and ....

and...

Sorry, this definitely seems to have a bit more real information behind it, but still it's not really worth much effort IMO.
I get your point and I agree. I just wanted to debunk this case because its the last OBE that claims that there is a soul and when this one is debunked. There will be nothing for the believer crowd.. However like you said it is useless because there are more and better studies which destroyed this but I would like to see a debunk attempt of this..
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:23 am

If ever someone like Sam Parnia gets a positive result of identification of a hidden image from a person who had an OBE, it will be dismissed by skeptics as fraud or as poorly controlled methods. That you can be certain of. Even if it happens under James Randi's watchful eye, it will be considered suspicious. At least people will demand repeats before believing it. And if they get them, James Randi will be skeptically suspected of fraud himself.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Daedalus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:28 am

Eric D R wrote:If ever someone like Sam Parnia gets a positive result of identification of a hidden image from a person who had an OBE, it will be dismissed by skeptics as fraud or as poorly controlled methods. That you can be certain of. Even if it happens under James Randi's watchful eye, it will be considered suspicious. At least people will demand repeats before believing it. And if they get them, James Randi will be skeptically suspected of fraud himself.
It would be a HUGE claim, and it would be shocking. It would be examined like the incredible event it is, but given time and repeatability it would be accepted.

That's how science works.

Don't worry though, because it will literally NEVER happen. Wild tales and BS sell books and lectures... actual claims end even the careers of pseudoscientists.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:18 am

Eric D R wrote:If ever someone like Sam Parnia gets a positive result of identification of a hidden image from a person who had an OBE, it will be dismissed by skeptics as fraud or as poorly controlled methods. That you can be certain of. Even if it happens under James Randi's watchful eye, it will be considered suspicious. At least people will demand repeats before believing it. And if they get them, James Randi will be skeptically suspected of fraud himself.
I agree that this will happen but I doubt that there will be some results in AWARE. Sam Parnia said it would be 3 years study and after 4 years he did what? Released a book to earn money and said that it will be longer. As for his definition of dead also brings doubts to me that he is the right person and authority which will make a world change. Also many people in the past tried and produced tada nothing.. Even Susan Blackmore who is open to this stuff has said that besides Miss Z of Tart there was nothing of interest to report of a verified OBE/NDE.

Also new scientific evidence is pointing out that cardiac arrest rats or even patients have a working brain and that its not so fast dead like the believers are claiming therefore it can all be just a hallucination.

Also it would need years to be established as a fact and many things would have to change. I think when we would find a soul science would completely change and we would look on many things different. We would even need to change psychiatry from the ground or even physics and religion would become a scientific discipline. Or maybe not. I will now return to debunking Alex Tanous.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:09 am

Ok found new info:

There is even a foundation of this guy but its more like a religious organization of his cult:
The Foundation

Dr. Alex Tanous began the Alex Tanous Foundation in March of 1990.

Research

Activities, which the Foundation will focus upon, will be related to specific interests and topics to which Dr. Tanous devoted his working life. These include:

Research of Anomalies
Power of the Mind/Will
Healing
Psychic Children
Psychic and Spiritual Development
Physical Research
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/foundation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its like a cult they even give money for the research done on Alex Tanous:
*In 1996, The Alex Tanous Foundation awarded a $50,000 grant to two researchers, Dr. Fred Frohock and Polly Bennell, for the purpose of collecting and preserving information about the life of Dr. Tanous.

The outcome of this project, which continued during 1996 and 1997, includes extensive data on the life and work of Dr. Tanous in the form of audio/video taped interviews (approximately 70 hours), written reports, photos, surveys, and other memorabilia. The overall goal of this research was to prevent information loss through the collection of materials and information about Dr. Tanous and to provide access to the materials and information to those who may be researching the field. The interviews, combined with the additional materials collected, provide a wealth of information about Alex and also indicate areas where further inquiry may be helpful.

The material collected by these researchers will not only help those who want to go further in the study of the unusual and interesting Dr. Tanous but also contribute to a more complete record of his life.
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/grants-and-gifts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the only person so far who worked with him is Dr. Osis the same guy who verified his OBE:
"Who ya gonna call; Ghostbusters"! This paper is a collection of documented ghost stories which entail case histories of some of the most fascinating experiences by Dr. Alex Tanous and Dr. Karlis Osis, from the American Society of Psychical Research.
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/conversations-ghosts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had even a look on the pdf there:

On page 3 in the pdf. Alex Tanous is in control of the whole study because Dr. Osis takes only the phone and if Alex Tanous feels something then they will go there. Not a very good scientific way.

Finally some new info Donna McCormick who was mentioned in the studies of the verified OBE is a assistant of Dr. Osis. Now it makes more sense. An assistant mostly is influenced by his mentor and if the mentor believes this then the assistant also – page 4 in the pdf.

Page 6: Alex Tanous believes in ghosts. In ghosts that have been debunked several times.

Page 11 Cedar Rapids: First house year 1980..again too old. Ok it continues that he was send into a box and all was Alex done was making up a story of the ghost hunting and the persons involved in there. Just a normal story which people make up. No names are mentioned besides some Margaret as always. From the first house I get the impression its all only a story made up by Alex who was not there but in a box and heard information from the phone line of Dr. Osis and recreated a story out of it. In the end Dr. Osis said thtat all from the information Alex said these were true – that a small pox epidemic killed this people but Alex said only that there was a epidemic or a disease he was not precise. Its 50:50. .

I will not continue here.. Because its long and all suff is done only by Dr. Osis and Alex Tanous. No other researcher besides them is mentioned. All are anecdotes and even a Ouji Borard is mentioned which is enough woo for one day for me.

All info besides my comments are from: http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 644976.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jennifer Allen is coming to RRC to talk about Alex Tanous. During her years in Portsmouth, NH, Alex was her longtime friend and became Godfather to each of her four daughters. For years, she attended his parapsychology classes University of Southern Maine, where Alex taught students that they all had the ability to do what he did, if they would only open their minds and spirit to join in.

She will open with personal stories about his many abilities, including:
• To find missing people.
• To send healing energy to cancer patients who were far away and who went into remission within three days after he did so.
• To Bilocate.
• To see Auras.
• To throw light from his eyes.
• To search for UFO’s with Betty Hill, written up in her last book.
• To talk with Jesus, St. Anne, Isaac Newton, incredible people throughout history.
• Alex’s experiments in the Bermuda Triangle.
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/alex- ... ifer-allen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmm strange. He could heal cancer but he himself died on pancreatic cancer??? Or like here the pdf cliams of heart-failure. What a healer is he then?? In this mentioned pdf:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 376352.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 19,2200608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also if he was such a healer he would be by default immortal..

Also another time Alex Tanous runs to his only prove Dr. Osis:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 590507.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This pdf is about the Amityville Horror where some people claimed that Alex Tanous was levitating however Tanous denies this and claims that he found nothing in the house and that he doesn't believe in devil possession.

Alex Tanous believes in the story of Betty Hill UFO abduction - page 2 of the pdf:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 488927.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This case was debunked several times:

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/over_the_ ... bductions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theironskeptic.com/articles/ ... _index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Also on page 5 of the pdf. Alex claims they can duplicate and they are like energy. Like he puts it that Star Trek is real for them.

Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 488927.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is a wooist, no surprise really..

Found new person who claims he has special powers. James T. Hayes from a magazine Occult besides Osis:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 076631.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 4: He claims that before the year 2000 there will be a holocaust in the U.S. where many cities will be destroyed and that it will come from the ocean and it will unite the people. - Nothing like this has happened.

He was criticized by the Catholic Church because he is associated with them. Page 5 pdf and page 7 he is a professor of theology.

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 076631.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here we go with this pdf:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 376352.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not read it whole because my head is starting to hurt from all the woo.

Page 7-8:

- Osis is the man behind him again
- He claims he can be twice on one place. He can do bilocation like in the Catholic Church some saints can do.
- He claims that the future can be changed by the persons free-will. Oops according to science we don't have free will to begin with.
- Osis again - to me it seems that Tanous was used as a promoter for parapsychology. Nothing more or less.
- He claims that he is the last resort for the police. So why don't they use him more?
- He claims that he helped win a friend in Las Vegas but he didn't wanted to do it once.
- He claims that his home, Maine has the best energy.. Ahh give me a break..

Dr. Osis again. He wanted to use psychic for crime detection. Wow a great idea but it never works:
Dr. Karlis Osis, Researcher and former Director of the ASPR in New York had worked on developing the art of using psychics in police work back in the 1970's.
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/appli ... -detection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also Tanous has written prayers for psychics.. Oh woo:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 172537.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now lets look onto the doc file on this page: http://www.alextanous.org/content/healing-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He speaks of Jesus. Mixing psychics with Jesus nice..
Alex Tanous wrote:Wholeness and the spirit has been one of the center themes of Jesus.... The parable of the lost sheep, where he says he would rejoice over the finding of the one who is lost then the 99 he has together- why because he needs that one to make it whole. Again he says, the father and I are one ....Again he speaks that all may be one....Where there is oneness there is also the Spirit...which makes all things perfect....
He heals through god:
Alex Tanous wrote:I have been criticized because I say I healed someone of cancer, I healed someone of a headache and so on...They say you cannot heal, it is God that heals. HEALING CAN ONLY TAKE PLACE IN THE GOD CONSCIOUS. There when I enter into that conscious through no power of my own, but through that of God coming through me, and the outpouring of the spirit, I can say I am healing with the I AM. Through the center of my consciousness I enter the universal conscious of healing and the energy flows through me...and I am chosen to heal and in that manner I call myself a healer and I have healed.
The mind is made of non-matter:
Alex Tanous wrote:We must recognize that in the universe there is a universal healing power..and active anger...I call the Spirit...This energy influences the dimension of matter and the non-matter mind
This is whole woo and foolishness and even some believers in the paranormal would not agree here..

Here: http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 206421.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On page 2: Alex could fuse his back together again. However the person received a therapy.
On page 5: Alex claimed he saved a woman from cancer but there was a procedure of week and a half and then it went away. There is even one type of person who had also cancer and he was again cured. This is odd to me personally because according to the links above:

There were only 3 episodes reported. That is little..

Dr. Alex Tanous died himself of cancer. He could cure others from many things like making their backs grow back again but he died of cancer or heart failure?? This is very odd.
Last edited by Shen1986 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:30 am

Let's all try the experiment that Alex Tanous suggests and see what happens. Just go to the link that Shen posted at the top of this thread and scroll down to the page where there is just a box of text in the center of the page with the headline that says something like, "Alex Tanous believes anyone can leave his body".

We can all try that technique and see what happens. I will try it tomorrow and report back.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 am

This will be my last take:

http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 821428.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 2: Alex claims that everyone is psychic...
Page 3: Good memory and ESP makes a good psychic.. wow..
Page 4: He does not believe in reincarnation. Oh wow. A lot of believers will not be happy about this.
Page 5: Jesus was a psychic and witches of Salem were not witches but psychics.. Ohh boy..
Page 6: He has a 5-point star on his hand. This was told to him by a astronomer. Wow the stupidity..
Page 8: Illnesses are caused by the mind and the mind can cure them. Yeah its all about the mind chum..
Page 10: Some dreams are psychic and can tell the future..Wow this is debunked several times over..

Taken all from: http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 821428.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conclusion:

This guy is a hoax. Nothing more his claims are backed up only by two persons:

Donna McCormic who is a ssistant of Donna McCormic.
Dr. Osis - who is a believer of the highest degree.

Also several of his predictions have failed and many of his claims are doubtful or have been debunked. He himself has died from cancer or heart failure(according to believers) but as a psychic who can heal almost everything he has failed because he would be immortal. The only place for his claims and information about him is his foundation that worships him like a god. Therefore there is nothing to add to this only the fact that he is a hoax and fraud..

The only good thing I got from this is that Michael Grosso who wrote in Irreducible Mind book has written about this long ago:
Author: Michael Grosso
Date: 1978

This essay written by Michael Grosso is in three sections. Mr. Grosso writes about the human conception of death and the radical changes that has undergone with the gradual waning and repression of archaic modes of thought. He further goes on to explain the two types of near-death experiences.
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/content/towar ... -phenomena" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:01 am

Eric D R wrote:Let's all try the experiment that Alex Tanous suggests and see what happens. Just go to the link that Shen posted at the top of this thread and scroll down to the page where there is just a box of text in the center of the page with the headline that says something like, "Alex Tanous believes anyone can leave his body".

We can all try that technique and see what happens. I will try it tomorrow and report back.
Already tried nothing happened. Only fell asleep..If sleep is OBE then ok. I had a OBE but try it. | want to see your result.


I will write here the full test that someone can try it if he wants:
Open a magazine and place it down in front of you without looking at it. Take three or four deep breaths and think of something happy and relaxing. Then breath again and think of yourself as floating. Just outside of the middle of your forehead, create a ball of light, then sharpened it down to a pinpoint. Breath again and when you think you have the energy say:"Mind go under the magazine and tell me what is there." Bring in the first impression no matter how crazy it seems. But don't try to be too specific-simply describe the forms, shapes and colors.
Taken from: http://www.alextanous.org/sites/default ... 278175.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also it is foolishness:
Open a magazine and place it down in front of you without looking at it.
This is foolish because you always see a part with your eyes when you open a page.

Also this debunks itself:
Bring in the first impression no matter how crazy it seems. But don't try to be too specific-simply describe the forms, shapes and colors.
So you just tell yourself that you had a OBE when you were right that there was a symbol that you saw when you were twisting the magazine? This is what I got when I was using his technique. All I got was that I was relaxed and could think more clearly about the memories when I was twisting the magazine..

However I will see what you can produce Eric because I tested it and even my wife and no results or OBEs.

Update: I have been looking over to Osis:

Here is what I have found:
In 1957, Osis became the director of the Parapsychology Foundation in New York, being elected as president in 1961.
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlis_Osis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was a head of a strange organization:
The Parapsychology Foundation is a non-profit organisation founded in 1951 by clairvoyant Eileen Garrett and Frances Payne Bolton, Ohio's then Congressman.[1][2] The foundation is based in New York. They offer grants and scholarships to those undertaking study in the paranormal.[1][3] The organization also founded the Eileen J. Garrett Library, in Greenport.[2]

Garrett was a medium and founded the organization with the explicit purpose of scientifically proving the existence of the soul.[4]

The current executive director is Lisette Coly, granddaughter of Garrett.[1][3]
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapsychology_Foundation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for Garrett:
Eileen Garrett

Tymn mentions the mediumship of Eileen Garrett and claims she was in contact with spirits.[30] What Tymn does not mention is that Garrett came to reject the spirit hypothesis of mediumship. According to the psychic researcher Peter Brookesmith, Garrett "had no doubt about the reality of paranormal phenomena. What she did doubt was the spirit hypothesis of mediumship that so many accept blindly."[31]

In her autobiography Garrett abandoned the spirit hypothesis in favor of a "magnetic field" that can be contacted.
Taken from: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Michael_E. ... en_Garrett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also here:
In 1931, she was invited to America by the American Society for Psychical Research (ASPR) to participate in a series of experiments under the direction of Hereward Carrington. During that period she was studied at Duke University where she was brought into a circle of mediums that had been arranged by William McDougall. He was impressed and said of her that she was "one of the finest mediums I have ever met."
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eileen_J._Garrett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Therefore the American Society for Psychical Research is also open to error and fraud.

He was also working there:
In 1962, he began working with the American Society for Psychical Research, work which continued for many years.[7]
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlis_Osis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For more Eileen Garrett info see here:

Garrett was a failure as a medium because of these things that happened in her life:
She said that she had imaginary playmates, whom she called "the children". She claims that their appearance was a very normal part of her life and that she "did not have to go to them in any particular place, or make any adjustments" in order to see them.
- hmm this sounds like schizophrenia.
She stayed in England with relatives and, very soon thereafter, was courted by an older gentleman named Clive, whom she married within a few months. She gave birth to three sons, all of whom died at very early ages. The eldest and second-born sons both died of meningitis within weeks of each other. The third died a few hours after birth.
- as a psychic she could have foreseen that no??
Eventually, she gave birth to her daughter, Eileen. Once again her health deteriorated, and, by the time she recovered, her marriage had ended in divorce.
- again as a psychic she could have foreseen this also no?

Taken from: http://www.fst.org/garrett.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 1939, she was considering ending her participation in experiments when McDougall convinced her to assist Nandor Fodor in the investigation of The Ash Manor Ghost. She was in southern France visiting friends and doing readings for clients of William McDougall in 1940 when Germany once again invaded France. She stayed there in relative obscurity until 1941 when she was allowed to travel to Portugal where she found passage on a refugee boat to the United States.
- why did she travel to Europe when there was a war coming? Didn't she foreseen that??

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eileen_J._Garrett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its all about money mostly:
Associates
Join as an Associate for $70. Multi-year discounts are available. Associate/spouse discounts are available.
Please choose an option from the pull-down menu that includes an additional $20 (US Dollars) per year for foreign postage if you live outside the United States.
Fellows

Fellows enjoy all benefits of joining the ASPR for $100.

Sponsors

Sponsors enjoy all benefits of joining the ASPR for $2,500.

Students and Seniors

Full-time students enrolled at accredited secondary schools, colleges, or universities are eligible to join the ASPR at the reduced cost of $60.

Patrons and Founders

The Society invites tax deductible gifts from Patrons ($5,000) and Founders ($10,000) for the ongoing work of the Society.
Taken from: http://www.aspr.com/become.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the same organization that made the tests ASPR mentioned above.

Also ASPR believers that Dreams are paranormal:
Dream Telepathy: Experiments in Nocturnal ESP
Montague Ullman & Stanley Krippner with Alan Vaughan

Presents spontaneous cases, then experimental research into the connection between dreams and telepathic phenomena. A classic. 2nd edition.
Or here:
Working with Dreams
Montague Ullman & Nan Zimmerman

Self-understanding, problem solving, and enriched creativity through dream appreciation. Learn how to: remember and record your dreams, discover the meaning of dream imagery, recognize creative, telepathic and warning dreams.
Taken from: http://www.aspr.com/dreams.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Shen1986 wrote:
Eric D R wrote:Let's all try the experiment that Alex Tanous suggests and see what happens. Just go to the link that Shen posted at the top of this thread and scroll down to the page where there is just a box of text in the center of the page with the headline that says something like, "Alex Tanous believes anyone can leave his body".

We can all try that technique and see what happens. I will try it tomorrow and report back.
Already tried nothing happened. Only fell asleep..If sleep is OBE then ok. I had a OBE but try it. | want to see your result.


I will write here the full test that someone can try it if he wants:
Open a magazine and place it down in front of you without looking at it. Take three or four deep breaths and think of something happy and relaxing. Then breath again and think of yourself as floating. Just outside of the middle of your forehead, create a ball of light, then sharpened it down to a pinpoint. Breath again and when you think you have the energy say:"Mind go under the magazine and tell me what is there." Bring in the first impression no matter how crazy it seems. But don't try to be too specific-simply describe the forms, shapes and colors.
I tried it this morning, but I couldn't even properly imagine a ball of light in front of my forehead. The dog yapping from a nearby house didn't help either. But I went ahead and just told my mind to go under the magazine even though I wasn't in an altered state of any sort. The first thing that came to my mind was an image of trees and buildings on a college campus. I turned over the magazine, and guess what? It was a photo of a bunch of guys and girls modeling sports clothes.

I think I need to try again at night when there are fewer distracting noises and it's easier to imagine a ball of light in contrast with the darkness. But of course, then it will be too dark to see the magazine! There's no perfect solution. Didn't this guy think about the fact that it's too dark for your astral eyes to see a magazine page that's laying on your lap? This is idiotic.

What needs to be done is that we need to open the magazine facing away from us, as if showing it to a classroom of children, instead of opening it towards ourselves. Then we need to place it face-down on a glass table so that our astral eye will be able to see it. And then? The final requirement is to be able to have an OBE, which is not nearly as easy for most of us as it is for Mr. Tanous.

User avatar
octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5047
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk
Location: West of Chester

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by octopus1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Eric D R wrote:
Shen1986 wrote:
Eric D R wrote:Let's all try the experiment that Alex Tanous suggests and see what happens. Just go to the link that Shen posted at the top of this thread and scroll down to the page where there is just a box of text in the center of the page with the headline that says something like, "Alex Tanous believes anyone can leave his body".

We can all try that technique and see what happens. I will try it tomorrow and report back.
Already tried nothing happened. Only fell asleep..If sleep is OBE then ok. I had a OBE but try it. | want to see your result.


I will write here the full test that someone can try it if he wants:
Open a magazine and place it down in front of you without looking at it. Take three or four deep breaths and think of something happy and relaxing. Then breath again and think of yourself as floating. Just outside of the middle of your forehead, create a ball of light, then sharpened it down to a pinpoint. Breath again and when you think you have the energy say:"Mind go under the magazine and tell me what is there." Bring in the first impression no matter how crazy it seems. But don't try to be too specific-simply describe the forms, shapes and colors.
I tried it this morning, but I couldn't even properly imagine a ball of light in front of my forehead. The dog yapping from a nearby house didn't help either. But I went ahead and just told my mind to go under the magazine even though I wasn't in an altered state of any sort. The first thing that came to my mind was an image of trees and buildings on a college campus. I turned over the magazine, and guess what? It was a photo of a bunch of guys and girls modeling sports clothes.

I think I need to try again at night when there are fewer distracting noises and it's easier to imagine a ball of light in contrast with the darkness. But of course, then it will be too dark to see the magazine! There's no perfect solution. Didn't this guy think about the fact that it's too dark for your astral eyes to see a magazine page that's laying on your lap? This is idiotic.

What needs to be done is that we need to open the magazine facing away from us, as if showing it to a classroom of children, instead of opening it towards ourselves. Then we need to place it face-down on a glass table so that our astral eye will be able to see it. And then? The final requirement is to be able to have an OBE, which is not nearly as easy for most of us as it is for Mr. Tanous.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I must be really not myself today!

I thought for one moment, "Why the hell would he receive an OBE (Order of the British Empire) just for being a Psychic?!

Je suis tres confuse :|
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 am

I tried it this morning, but I couldn't even properly imagine a ball of light in front of my forehead. The dog yapping from a nearby house didn't help either. But I went ahead and just told my mind to go under the magazine even though I wasn't in an altered state of any sort. The first thing that came to my mind was an image of trees and buildings on a college campus. I turned over the magazine, and guess what? It was a photo of a bunch of guys and girls modeling sports clothes.

I think I need to try again at night when there are fewer distracting noises and it's easier to imagine a ball of light in contrast with the darkness. But of course, then it will be too dark to see the magazine! There's no perfect solution. Didn't this guy think about the fact that it's too dark for your astral eyes to see a magazine page that's laying on your lap? This is idiotic.

What needs to be done is that we need to open the magazine facing away from us, as if showing it to a classroom of children, instead of opening it towards ourselves. Then we need to place it face-down on a glass table so that our astral eye will be able to see it. And then? The final requirement is to be able to have an OBE, which is not nearly as easy for most of us as it is for Mr. Tanous.
So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:01 am

So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. Very few people are able to have them without spending a lot of time and effort to learn how. I just thought maybe if all of us tried Tanous's little technique, maybe someone would feel something happen, but I think Tanous was not aware of how hard it is for most people to have an OBE. He apparently has them easily, quickly, and at will. I have tried to have them, at night while going to sleep, using some of the techniques recommended by others. I have been able to begin to feel the change that happens before an OBE, but it is so shocking and strange-feeling that I immediately panic and snap back. A couple of times I have heard voices (they sound real) or felt a presence as I started to separate. It is said that this is typical of the beginning of the OBE separation and people are advised not to be afraid and to keep pushing forward, but I have found it impossible to do so. I have no idea if it's just a mind experience or if there's really something spiritual going on. My friend who has OBE's all the time thinks it's real and not just a hallucination, but I won't know what I think until and unless I can experience it for myself.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:07 am

Eric D R wrote:
So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. Very few people are able to have them without spending a lot of time and effort to learn how. I just thought maybe if all of us tried Tanous's little technique, maybe someone would feel something happen, but I think Tanous was not aware of how hard it is for most people to have an OBE. He apparently has them easily, quickly, and at will. I have tried to have them, at night while going to sleep, using some of the techniques recommended by others. I have been able to begin to feel the change that happens before an OBE, but it is so shocking and strange-feeling that I immediately panic and snap back. A couple of times I have heard voices (they sound real) or felt a presence as I started to separate. It is said that this is typical of the beginning of the OBE separation and people are advised not to be afraid and to keep pushing forward, but I have found it impossible to do so. I have no idea if it's just a mind experience or if there's really something spiritual going on. My friend who has OBE's all the time thinks it's real and not just a hallucination, but I won't know what I think until and unless I can experience it for myself.
So you tried other techniques but the Tanous stuff did work or not during the night?? Also what techniques did you try?? I want to hear more of it. If you can share..

When you reply this I will tell you more about OBEs what I have found.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by kennyc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:31 am

Eric D R wrote:
So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. ....

BS Eric. Not only is it not easy, it's {!#%@}' IMPOSSIBLE.

What is wrong with you? Do you really believe OBE is real? If so how do you support the concept scientifically. How do you prove it and why hasn't it already been proven?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by kennyc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:35 am

Eric D R wrote:....

Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. Very few people are able to have them without spending a lot of time and effort to learn how. I just thought maybe if all of us tried Tanous's little technique, maybe someone would feel something happen, but I think Tanous was not aware of how hard it is for most people to have an OBE. He apparently has them easily, quickly, and at will. I have tried to have them, at night while going to sleep, using some of the techniques recommended by others. I have been able to begin to feel the change that happens before an OBE, but it is so shocking and strange-feeling that I immediately panic and snap back. A couple of times I have heard voices (they sound real) or felt a presence as I started to separate. It is said that this is typical of the beginning of the OBE separation and people are advised not to be afraid and to keep pushing forward, but I have found it impossible to do so. I have no idea if it's just a mind experience or if there's really something spiritual going on. My friend who has OBE's all the time thinks it's real and not just a hallucination, but I won't know what I think until and unless I can experience it for myself.
Experience doesn't matter. Proof does. The mind is an amazing thing, it can make you feel and believe all kinds of bogus {!#%@}. The only thing that matters is independent scientific verification and that has never happened.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:39 am

kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:....

Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. Very few people are able to have them without spending a lot of time and effort to learn how. I just thought maybe if all of us tried Tanous's little technique, maybe someone would feel something happen, but I think Tanous was not aware of how hard it is for most people to have an OBE. He apparently has them easily, quickly, and at will. I have tried to have them, at night while going to sleep, using some of the techniques recommended by others. I have been able to begin to feel the change that happens before an OBE, but it is so shocking and strange-feeling that I immediately panic and snap back. A couple of times I have heard voices (they sound real) or felt a presence as I started to separate. It is said that this is typical of the beginning of the OBE separation and people are advised not to be afraid and to keep pushing forward, but I have found it impossible to do so. I have no idea if it's just a mind experience or if there's really something spiritual going on. My friend who has OBE's all the time thinks it's real and not just a hallucination, but I won't know what I think until and unless I can experience it for myself.
Experience doesn't matter. Proof does. The mind is an amazing thing, it can make you feel and believe all kinds of bogus {!#%@}. The only thing that matters is independent scientific verification and that has never happened.
I agree here. Just look at these studies:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 124852.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141057.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or here a schizophrenic has a OBE all his life and he cannot the difference between a lab OBE and his OBEs:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... psychosis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However I want to know how Eric achieved his OBE because from the text his wrote it is eminent that it was not by the method of Tanous. So I want to know the method how he achieved it to have a look and try on it.

Also please Eric tell me if you achieved it by Tanous method or not. I want to know for sure. Thanks..
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:38 pm

kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:
So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. ....

BS Eric. Not only is it not easy, it's {!#%@}' IMPOSSIBLE.

What is wrong with you? Do you really believe OBE is real? If so how do you support the concept scientifically. How do you prove it and why hasn't it already been proven?
It's an experience, Kenny. That's all. I'm not saying whether it is real or just a hallucination. Is that not clear from what I wrote? I think it should be.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by kennyc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Eric D R wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:
So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. ....

BS Eric. Not only is it not easy, it's {!#%@}' IMPOSSIBLE.

What is wrong with you? Do you really believe OBE is real? If so how do you support the concept scientifically. How do you prove it and why hasn't it already been proven?
It's an experience, Kenny. That's all. I'm not saying whether it is real or just a hallucination. Is that not clear from what I wrote? I think it should be.

So you think it might be REAL. Proof, give us proof.
i.e. it's not friggin' real.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Daedalus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Eric D R wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:
So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. ....

BS Eric. Not only is it not easy, it's {!#%@}' IMPOSSIBLE.

What is wrong with you? Do you really believe OBE is real? If so how do you support the concept scientifically. How do you prove it and why hasn't it already been proven?
It's an experience, Kenny. That's all. I'm not saying whether it is real or just a hallucination. Is that not clear from what I wrote? I think it should be.
You don't bother to write about the many other subjective experiences produced by the brain, so what is he or anyone else to conclude about your beliefs?
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:03 am

kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:
So what now Eric? Do you believe its all bogus or not?

Even from the logical point this is all bogus because if it would be so easy all of us can have OBEs in a second and there would be no privacy or we would not need a TVs...
Well, I already knew that it's not easy for all of us to have OBE's. ....

BS Eric. Not only is it not easy, it's {!#%@}' IMPOSSIBLE.

What is wrong with you? Do you really believe OBE is real? If so how do you support the concept scientifically. How do you prove it and why hasn't it already been proven?
It's an experience, Kenny. That's all. I'm not saying whether it is real or just a hallucination. Is that not clear from what I wrote? I think it should be.

So you think it might be REAL. Proof, give us proof.
i.e. it's not friggin' real.
1) I don't have any reason to give you proof for something that I don't believe in the first place.
2) That isn't even what Shen and I are talking about anyway. We are talking about how easy or difficult it is to learn to have an OBE.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:06 am

You don't bother to write about the many other subjective experiences produced by the brain, so what is he or anyone else to conclude about your beliefs?
It doesn't matter Daedalus. I stated my beliefs explicitly in the post that Kenny was replying to. I had told Shen in that post that I didn't know if OBE's were just occurring in the mind or if there was something spiritual about them. That's all Kenny had to read if he wanted to know my beliefs. I am agnostic.

And whether or not OBE's are real or not was not even the subject of Shen's and my discussion there. We were discussing how easy or difficult it is to learn how to have an OBE.

TheUltimateBlitz1
Regular Poster
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 pm
Location: the 4th dimension

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by TheUltimateBlitz1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:12 am

Well if you test OBEs and observe a person's brain you would probably detect different patterns.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by kennyc » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:59 am

Eric D R wrote:.......




1) I don't have any reason to give you proof for something that I don't believe in the first place.
2) That isn't even what Shen and I are talking about anyway. We are talking about how easy or difficult it is to learn to have an OBE.

Well Eric, you are talking, acting, treating it as if it is real, not some self-delusion. Even above in #2 you state it as if it is a real thing and all you are trying to do is figure out how easy it is to do it. Well buddy, you got the cart before the horse. First thing is to decide what it is you are talking about a real phenomena or a delusion and then to determine how to investigate it.

As far as what you and Shen are discussing, you are sorely mistaken in two ways, one is what I just said above and two is that this is a public forum if you want to discuss it privately then take it to email or the coffee shop, but if you are going to discuss it here then you are discussing it with the world.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5475
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Daedalus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:44 am

Eric D R wrote:
You don't bother to write about the many other subjective experiences produced by the brain, so what is he or anyone else to conclude about your beliefs?
It doesn't matter Daedalus. I stated my beliefs explicitly in the post that Kenny was replying to. I had told Shen in that post that I didn't know if OBE's were just occurring in the mind or if there was something spiritual about them. That's all Kenny had to read if he wanted to know my beliefs. I am agnostic.

And whether or not OBE's are real or not was not even the subject of Shen's and my discussion there. We were discussing how easy or difficult it is to learn how to have an OBE.
Agnostic about something unknowable is one thing... agnostic about a brain process is just silly.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:38 am

kennyc wrote:
Eric D R wrote:.......




1) I don't have any reason to give you proof for something that I don't believe in the first place.
2) That isn't even what Shen and I are talking about anyway. We are talking about how easy or difficult it is to learn to have an OBE.

Well Eric, you are talking, acting, treating it as if it is real, not some self-delusion. Even above in #2 you state it as if it is a real thing and all you are trying to do is figure out how easy it is to do it. Well buddy, you got the cart before the horse. First thing is to decide what it is you are talking about a real phenomena or a delusion and then to determine how to investigate it.

As far as what you and Shen are discussing, you are sorely mistaken in two ways, one is what I just said above and two is that this is a public forum if you want to discuss it privately then take it to email or the coffee shop, but if you are going to discuss it here then you are discussing it with the world.
Kenny, OBE is a real experience that people have. That doesn't mean that they really have an astral body or astral conscience that actually separates from their physical body and travels thru the physical air; it just means that they have an experience like that. Shen and I are talking about how people can train themselves to have this experience. It all stems from my post from August 14 at 12:30 AM.

No, Shen and I are not having a private conversation; we're just going back and forth about one part of this thread. If you want to come in and object to something I'm saying in this sub-thread and quote it as if you're responding to it, that's fine as long as it relates to what I was talking about. But your demand for proof of the physical reality of OBE was out of place, because I wasn't claiming anything about that, just talking about trying to have the experience.
a real phenomena
"phenomena" is plural. The singular form is "phenomenon". Everyone seems to make this mistake, so I'm not singling you out.
Last edited by Eric D R on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:58 am

Shen1986 wrote:However I want to know how Eric achieved his OBE because from the text his wrote it is eminent that it was not by the method of Tanous. So I want to know the method how he achieved it to have a look and try on it.

Also please Eric tell me if you achieved it by Tanous method or not. I want to know for sure. Thanks..
I've only gotten a glimpse of how it feels to enter into the pre-OBE experience that people say accompanies the "separation". So that's not yet an OBE. But I achieved this beginning stage a few times simply by lying on my back before going to sleep and focusing intensely on the faces and places (hypnagogic images) that are flashing in front of my mind's eye (you don't always see such images when going to sleep; they tend to be more plentiful and vivid when you are going to sleep very late or when you are sleep-deprived). As I started to feel myself falling asleep, I told myself to separate out from my body, to rise up out of myself. Suddenly, I felt a very shocking feeling like I was actually beginning to do so, and it caused me to panic and snap back into regular consciousness. I also heard a voice talking to me or felt like someone was there.

Tanous method sounds too simple and immediate for someone like me who is not used to having OBE's. I think it would only work for someone like him who has had OBE's many times before.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28041
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:09 am

Eric, I think it would be interesting if you attempted to record that voice you felt you heard. It might be your own. Which, of course, sounds different to yourself, so it would be good for someone else to listen to what you might be able to capture.
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:16 am

I've only gotten a glimpse of how it feels to enter into the pre-OBE experience that people say accompanies the "separation". So that's not yet an OBE. But I achieved this beginning stage a few times simply by lying on my back before going to sleep and focusing intensely on the faces and places (hypnagogic images) that are flashing in front of my mind's eye (you don't always see such images when going to sleep; they tend to be more plentiful and vivid when you are going to sleep very late or when you are sleep-deprived). As I started to feel myself falling asleep, I told myself to separate out from my body, to rise up out of myself. Suddenly, I felt a very shocking feeling like I was actually beginning to do so, and it caused me to panic and snap back into regular consciousness. I also heard a voice talking to me or felt like someone was there.
I know this feeling. I had this also but I would not call it a OBE but a hallucination and its definitely not good because of this what you wrote:
(you don't always see such images when going to sleep; they tend to be more plentiful and vivid when you are going to sleep very late or when you are sleep-deprived)
This is dangerous and can mix up your brain pretty much. I know what I am talking about. I had this also when a patient attack me and I could not sleep thanks to stress a couple of nights. I had to take sleeping pills. Therefore its a hallucination and I also had these voices in my head.. My doctor was scarred very much he wanted to bring me into a hospital if it would get worse. The OBE you had was from the fact you were too tired and had little sleep. Not good..
Tanous method sounds too simple and immediate for someone like me who is not used to having OBE's. I think it would only work for someone like him who has had OBE's many times before.
So you have not achieved it by Tanous method and his method does not work. This is no surprise for me either because I tried his method and had no results. Therefore all his OBE stuff is woo. He was just used by the society to make them known nothing more or less and therefore the OBE experiment was a success and I will not even go into the details of the process that it was open to error because the only person who tested him was Dr. Osis and no one else. Every tale about Tanous and his super powers is from Dr. Osis besides the three "healings" but he could not heal himself which is odd..

Ok I am done with this if you want to add something Eric ok. Thanks for sharing your story..

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:19 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Eric, I think it would be interesting if you attempted to record that voice you felt you heard. It might be your own. Which, of course, sounds different to yourself, so it would be good for someone else to listen to what you might be able to capture.
The one I specifically remember sounded like a woman. I doubt I was making any sounds. I hadn't even felt a true separation from my body yet. I think it's an auditory hallucination. If not an actual discarnate entity.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:22 am

Eric D R wrote:The one I specifically remember sounded like a woman. I doubt I was making any sounds. I hadn't even felt a true separation from my body yet. I think it's an auditory hallucination. If not an actual discarnate entity.
It was a hallucination. I could also hear voices raging from people I met in the day to total unknown sounds.. The brain just had to filter all stress out from not sleeping. Sleep is very important. If you do not sleep for about 10 days you get serious hallucinations from sounds to even seeing people. I know this from a caretaker who had a old woman to take care of and the woman was nuts. She had Alzheimer and could not sleep the whole night and so the caretaker of her because it was a 24 hours job for 2 weeks. The caretaker told me that after 10 days of not sleeping he saw and heard strange things and had to stop making this job.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28041
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:27 am

Eric D R wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Eric, I think it would be interesting if you attempted to record that voice you felt you heard. It might be your own. Which, of course, sounds different to yourself, so it would be good for someone else to listen to what you might be able to capture.
The one I specifically remember sounded like a woman. I doubt I was making any sounds. I hadn't even felt a true separation from my body yet. I think it's an auditory hallucination.
Sounds plausible.
If not an actual discarnate entity.
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for your concerns about my health and safety, Shen, but i wasnt as sleep deprived as the situations you are describing. I dont think i was in any danger. I certainly did not have any hallucinations until i got to that point where i was starting to fall asleep yet focused on separating my conciousness.

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Eric D R wrote:Thanks for your concerns about my health and safety, Shen, but i wasnt as sleep deprived as the situations you are describing. I dont think i was in any danger. I certainly did not have any hallucinations until i got to that point where i was starting to fall asleep yet focused on separating my conciousness.
So how did you do it? When you were not sleep deprived or something like that? Were you tired or were you long up??

Because I had the same thing but I was sleep deprived.
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.

User avatar
Eric D R
Regular Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Eric D R » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:13 pm

i was just up late and a little bit deprived of sleep from not having slept enuff the previous nite. But i was trying to initiate an OBE using techniques suggested in a book (i dont remember the book title now). I just lay on my back and tried to relax my body completely and focus on the hypnagogic images i was seeing. As i started to feel like my conscious was shifting toward sleep and my body felt heavy and still, i thought of separating from it, and i suddenly felt like it was really going to happen. I could feel myself starting to "separate". I had this experience twice that i can remember. On one occasion i heard a womans voice right next to me call out something unclear. It sounded real. I was alone in bed. So this is what they call an auditory hallucination. On both occasions i was so shocked by the sensation that i panicked and immediately returned to regular state of perception.

Here is something interestinng from wikipedia:

"English psychologist Susan Blackmore and others suggest that an OBE begins when a person loses contact with sensory input from the body while remaining conscious.[101][111] The person retains the illusion of having a body, but that perception is no longer derived from the senses. The perceived world may resemble the world he or she generally inhabits while awake, but this perception does not come from the senses either. The vivid body and world is made by our brain's ability to create fully convincing realms, even in the absence of sensory information. This process is witnessed by each of us every night in our dreams, though OBEs are claimed to be far more vivid than even a lucid dream."

User avatar
Shen1986
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Dr. Alex Tanous OBE

Post by Shen1986 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Eric D R wrote:i was just up late and a little bit deprived of sleep from not having slept enuff the previous nite. But i was trying to initiate an OBE using techniques suggested in a book (i dont remember the book title now). I just lay on my back and tried to relax my body completely and focus on the hypnagogic images i was seeing. As i started to feel like my conscious was shifting toward sleep and my body felt heavy and still, i thought of separating from it, and i suddenly felt like it was really going to happen. I could feel myself starting to "separate". I had this experience twice that i can remember. On one occasion i heard a womans voice right next to me call out something unclear. It sounded real. I was alone in bed. So this is what they call an auditory hallucination. On both occasions i was so shocked by the sensation that i panicked and immediately returned to regular state of perception.

Here is something interestinng from wikipedia:

"English psychologist Susan Blackmore and others suggest that an OBE begins when a person loses contact with sensory input from the body while remaining conscious.[101][111] The person retains the illusion of having a body, but that perception is no longer derived from the senses. The perceived world may resemble the world he or she generally inhabits while awake, but this perception does not come from the senses either. The vivid body and world is made by our brain's ability to create fully convincing realms, even in the absence of sensory information. This process is witnessed by each of us every night in our dreams, though OBEs are claimed to be far more vivid than even a lucid dream."
Thanks for sharing this.. I had also lucid dreams and I know how it feels..
"Death Dies Hard." - Deathstars.