Earliest recorded UFO sightings

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 pm
I love it when he says "True Skeptic" when he has no {!#%@} idea what that might be.
Yer one humorless dude.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23834
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Oh, I laugh at you a lot.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Image
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19287
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Well.......I'd take that F-111 and the B-2 off that chart.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm
Well.......I'd take that F-111 and the B-2 off that chart.
I think it's a B-1 Bomber, not an F-111. I saw a B1-B flying over the Idaho Falls airport, and I was amazed that it could fly so slowly, making steep turns without stalling.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19287
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 am

landrew....could be. I just gave my guess re not UFO's. F-111 is similar and B-1==B2===I don't know. I did see ONE such chart during basic flight school just to show us what identifying enemy aircraft would look like. But as a cargo pilot.........they just didn't care. Of note, the c-141 I flew looked very similar to the bigger C-5 so that at a distance you had to look at the undercarriage if the thing was near landing or takeoff and absent that just the ratio of the body width compared to length........and then look again.

Luckily, I was not called on to make a kill shot all that often.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 am

landrew wrote: Who gave Bobbo the power to compel people to answer his inane questions?
It's his method of trolling. When he gets trapped by his own BS, he demands members answer his irrelevant and incoherent questions.

Even funnier he thinks he is the first person to invent terms like "Matticisms" for other people's posts, when he gets caught out. Zuezzz did this and so did the holocaust deniers........who have all departed or been banned from the forum.
:D

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26434&p=498133&hil ... ms#p498103

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:20 am

JO753 wrote:"Witnessez drew picturez uv the major events."
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: Q22: Matt: were there any "pens" in Egypt in 36AD?
Yes Bobbo. So that means you still haven't been able to find one example or one historian mentioning any realistic "eyewitness drawings" in the classical or Egyptian history. What makes you a true idiot is that Jo753 claimed these magical drawings were being used by Renaissance painters 1350 later...... but still can't find an example.

Did you think for a microsecond to look up the history of drawing realistic images?
:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23834
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 am

Art History 101.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23834
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:44 pm

There's a damn fool for every job.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:48 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote: Art History 101.
You can imagine my frustration. Art history is very well documented and realistic drawings of real events arrived in the middle ages and allowed for the Renaissance.

If we had realistic "eyewitness account" drawings of major events in classical history, then historians would not have to guess what the Battle of Actium looked like, or the Battle of Salamis, or the real important events.
In troduction of perspective.jpg
The introduction of Perspective in the Middle Ages
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am

landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23834
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:30 am

I'm sure the Egyptians would record Roswell accurately.

"Found aluminum foil, pieces of rubber balloons, balsa wood sticks with ink transfer from tape, etc., after storm in desert. Apparently some Mogul had been littering the place up."
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34971
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gord » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D
Yeah, I mean, good grief. Seriously? The Tulli Papyrus?

http://www.catchpenny.org/tulli.html

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D
That makes logical sense.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34971
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gord » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:57 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:11 am
re member? Wuts that?
That's when they sew it back on.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34971
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gord » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:03 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:43 pm
Earliest rocorded UFO sitingz thred summary:

Ellie O Really: Ancient UFOz?
Lance: No. Humanz can be fooled.
Gord: No. Everybodyz silly...
I remember it differently. It was more like:

Gord: [evidence]
JOnumbers: Dismissed! It's aliens. Flying sawrserz, bay-bee! YEH!!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Gord wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D
Yeah, I mean, good grief. Seriously? The Tulli Papyrus?

http://www.catchpenny.org/tulli.html

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake? Sometimes the "logic" being presented here makes me shake my head.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34971
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gord » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm
Gord wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D
Yeah, I mean, good grief. Seriously? The Tulli Papyrus?

http://www.catchpenny.org/tulli.html

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake? Sometimes the "logic" being presented here makes me shake my head.
In what universe does a document that nobody has seen proves it was not only real, but was recreated accurately by third parties? Sometimes the things people cling to in order to maintain their weird beliefs makes me shake my head.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14527
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by JO 753 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:55 pm

A bug flew in my ear wen my handz were filthy with enjin grease. That made me shake my hed.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Gord wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm
landrew wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm
Gord wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D
Yeah, I mean, good grief. Seriously? The Tulli Papyrus?

http://www.catchpenny.org/tulli.html

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake? Sometimes the "logic" being presented here makes me shake my head.
In what universe does a document that nobody has seen proves it was not only real, but was recreated accurately by third parties? Sometimes the things people cling to in order to maintain their weird beliefs makes me shake my head.
How about this? "We don't know."
Ever heard of that?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:13 am

landrew wrote: In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake?
You can only make a hypothesis to explain a particular fact or phenomena.

I don't have to reach any conclusion about evidence that doesn't exist. I'm not saying the missing document is real of not. I don't have to. The person asserting that this non existent document had evidence of flying saucers has to first make a claim., otherwise we are making our own strawman argument.

Entertainingly, Joseph Smith (who founded the Mormons) forged the entire book of Moroni using hieroglyphics that he subsequently lost. The hand drawn copies of some segments of these magical hieroglyphics accidentally found their way to some real historians who found they were totally bogus.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:14 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:13 am
landrew wrote: In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake?
You can only make a hypothesis to explain a particular fact or phenomena.

I don't have to reach any conclusion about evidence that doesn't exist. I'm not saying the missing document is real of not. I don't have to. The person asserting that this non existent document had evidence of flying saucers has to first make a claim., otherwise we are making our own strawman argument.

Entertainingly, Joseph Smith (who founded the Mormons) forged the entire book of Moroni using hieroglyphics that he subsequently lost. The hand drawn copies of some segments of these magical hieroglyphics accidentally found their way to some real historians who found they were totally bogus.
There's no claim, hypothesis or conclusion being made. The point is simply that we can't make any conclusions about whether it existed or not based on absence of evidence.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 am

landrew wrote: There's no claim, hypothesis or conclusion being made. The point is simply that we can't make any conclusions about whether it existed or not based on absence of evidence.
You did link us to that website.....

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19287
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:13 am
landrew wrote: In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake?
You can only make a hypothesis to explain a particular fact or phenomena.

I don't have to reach any conclusion about evidence that doesn't exist. I'm not saying the missing document is real of not. I don't have to. The person asserting that this non existent document had evidence of flying saucers has to first make a claim., otherwise we are making our own strawman argument.
What you said was that no such documentation was possible because the Egyptians did not have pen and paper.

Did you......................................... forget..................................... Matt?

Jumping horses faster than they can gallop does that to a fellow.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: What you said was that no such documentation was possible because the Egyptians did not have pen and paper.
No you complete idiot. The Egyptian hieroglyphs (Tulli Papyrus) that claims the pharaoh saw a flying saucer doesn't exist. That was the whole discussion with Landrews. :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19287
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:36 am

I haven't checked to confirm..................just relying on my memory........................will you "leave this forum forever" if I copy and paste when you said exactly that????????????????????????

.........and since I think it is a complete dick head move, aka: Matticism, to say so..................I rescind the "leave this forum forever" and merely request that you admit to error when its presented to you.

Would you do that Matt?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:38 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 am
landrew wrote: There's no claim, hypothesis or conclusion being made. The point is simply that we can't make any conclusions about whether it existed or not based on absence of evidence.
You did link us to that website.....
That's me making a claim?
You're delusional.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:43 am

landrew wrote: Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
The Tulli papyrus doen't exist
landrew wrote: That's me making a claim?
You are claiming someone is looking into a document that doesn't exist.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19287
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:50 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:38 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 am
landrew wrote: There's no claim, hypothesis or conclusion being made. The point is simply that we can't make any conclusions about whether it existed or not based on absence of evidence.
You did link us to that website.....
That's me making a claim?
You're delusional.
landrew: you offered it as an alternative to consider. Did you mean a claim based on a complete lack of evidence should be considered or not?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:50 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:43 am
landrew wrote: Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
The Tulli papyrus doen't exist
landrew wrote: That's me making a claim?
You are claiming someone is looking into a document that doesn't exist.
Have you been drinking?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 am

landrew wrote: Have you been drinking?
No. Are you still claiming people are looking into flying saucer evidence that doesn't exit? :lol:

"Tulli had supposedly copied it during a single viewing of the original papyrus using an "Ancient Egyptian shorthand",

Tell me more about this "ancient Egyptian shorthand" that only Tulli knew about, before the papyrus disappeared? Was it the same short hand Joseph Smith used to copy down the book of Moroni, that he could view by looking through his hat? :lol:
Joseph Smith.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 13165
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 am

I think we are all aware that there are and have been numerous swindlers. Joseph Smith was one such. Before he began the Mormon religion, he had served time in prison for his con jobs. He claimed an angel told him what he wrote in the Book of Mormon. Mormonism was simply a vehicle for Joseph Smith to swindle men out of their money and swindle women into his bed, and it worked very well until, inevitably, people got angry and delivered him a high velocity lead pill.

Interestingly, Mohammed said exactly the same thing about the Koran. It was given to him to write down by an angel. This makes me think that Islam is just an earlier religious swindle.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:23 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: Joseph Smith was one such. Before he began the Mormon religion, he had served time in prison for his con jobs.....
We went to see the "Book of Mormon" comedy musical. It was excellent. I thought it would be like "Life of Brian" but it wasn't. It was about a bad young Mormon "doorknocker", sent to Uganda, who didn't study and made up his own ridiculous version of the Mormon Bible......which still made more sense than the actual book of Mormon. That was the clever theme of the musical. :D

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34971
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gord » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 am

landrew wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:08 pm
Gord wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm
landrew wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm
Gord wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D
Yeah, I mean, good grief. Seriously? The Tulli Papyrus?

http://www.catchpenny.org/tulli.html

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake? Sometimes the "logic" being presented here makes me shake my head.
In what universe does a document that nobody has seen proves it was not only real, but was recreated accurately by third parties? Sometimes the things people cling to in order to maintain their weird beliefs makes me shake my head.
How about this? "We don't know."
Ever heard of that?
That's right, we don't know! And yet there are people out there who point to this thing we don't have and say, "look at our evidence"!

The Tulli papyrus, pfft. Same level of evidence as the yeti skull cap from the monastery in Pangboche. It also cannot be found. Therefore, it's whatever anyone needs it to be in order to tell the story they want to tell!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Gord wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 am
landrew wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:08 pm
Gord wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm
landrew wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm
Gord wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Take it into consideration or dismiss it wholesale, but someone has tried to look into ancient sightings of strange things in sky:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... ory-021327
"The above quote comes from the so-called Tulli Papyrus (now lost), after Alberto Tulli, the director of the Vatican Museum who found the document while in Cairo searching for antiquities. A great deal of controversy surrounds it, not the least because all that remains are copies,
Hmmmm...... this Egyptian account must be with the UFO that landed at Roswell that has also been lost. :D
Yeah, I mean, good grief. Seriously? The Tulli Papyrus?

http://www.catchpenny.org/tulli.html

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
In which universe does the fact that a document went missing, proves it was fake? Sometimes the "logic" being presented here makes me shake my head.
In what universe does a document that nobody has seen proves it was not only real, but was recreated accurately by third parties? Sometimes the things people cling to in order to maintain their weird beliefs makes me shake my head.
How about this? "We don't know."
Ever heard of that?
That's right, we don't know! And yet there are people out there who point to this thing we don't have and say, "look at our evidence"!

The Tulli papyrus, pfft. Same level of evidence as the yeti skull cap from the monastery in Pangboche. It also cannot be found. Therefore, it's whatever anyone needs it to be in order to tell the story they want to tell!
The day you stop conflating a position of examining evidence with being a "believer," I'll buy you a beer.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23834
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:15 pm

The day you discriminate between good evidence and bad evidence I'll buy you a brewery in St. Louis.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14527
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by JO 753 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 pm

The day you stop equating your personal experiensez with a complete picture uv reality...

sorry, I cant afford to by you anything.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11251
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Earliest recorded UFO sightings

Post by landrew » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:57 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:15 pm
The day you discriminate between good evidence and bad evidence I'll buy you a brewery in St. Louis.
That's the purpose of examining it. You seem to be suggesting that it should be dismissed without knowing anything about it.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.