landrew
Has No Life

Re: Let's Talk Ancient Aliens Theory

Post by landrew » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm

mack_10 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:08 pm
One thing I have never understood?
Aliens come to earth
The best building technology they can impart is stacking rocks into pyramids?
And then, for some reason, the only use for these piles of rock is for burying kings/pharoahs
The romans build aquaducts, sewers and used an arch to overcome the spanning of column problems, shouldn't the aliens have been able to do better?
If they had colonized the earth, they'd be here now.
Obviously they aren't.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Gord wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:14 pm
Gord wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 pm
you, Ed, Art, Nun, Dobs, Griff, Ray, other Ray, Justin, 2 anonymous people on Youtube, 2 people whose names I forget on another old forum....
I forgot Ama. And Don. Oh yeah, and Don's girlfriend!

If I start adding people I've known who watched it because they believe at least some of the nonsense presented on Ancient Aliens, the list would only grow by three or four. Hmm. Okay, only three, I can't think of a fourth.
How do you know what they believe? The show has been on for years, and millions have watched it. They all can't be believers.
I've rarely watched it for more than 5 minutes at a time, because I get tired of the excessive speculation, where they seem to be ignoring simple explanations in favor of more elaborate ones. It would be better if they simply showed us interesting things, asked a few reasonable questions, and left us to speculate on our own. Besides, I don't like Tsoukalos (Crazy Hair) because he says a lot of things that don't make sense, and he seems to be in love with the camera.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 pm

landrew wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm
mack_10 wrote:
One thing I have never understood?
Aliens come to earth
The best building technology they can impart is stacking rocks into pyramids?
And then, for some reason, the only use for these piles of rock is for burying kings/pharoahs
The romans build aquaducts, sewers and used an arch to overcome the spanning of column problems, shouldn't the aliens have been able to do better?
If they had colonized the earth, they'd be here now.
Obviously they aren't.
Or are they? I saw a woman in the square in Quito last month, she had a sandwich board of signs and a powered megaphone. I couldn't understand a word she said because she was speaking Spanish, but you could tell she was adamant about it. I got close enough to see the names of prominent politicians, then David Icke, the guy who says powerful people are actually lizardmen from space in disguise. What fascinates me about people like this is they are basically folklore come to life. We know that 500 years ago people believed in sprites and fairies and regularly blamed their little problems on them and maybe even spread some extra seed or made other offerings to them. We know some people teased them about it. This is the modern version of that.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 am

mack_10 wrote:
One thing I have never understood? Aliens come to earth. The best building technology they can impart is stacking rocks into pyramids? And then, for some reason, the only use for these piles of rock is for burying kings/pharoahs
I get irritated because Ancient Aliens claims the Egyptians did not have the technology to move massive rocks, whilst ignoring Egyptian wall reliefs, made at the time, depicting the Egyptian doing exactly that and how they did it. .
stone block builders egypt pyramids.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 am

landrew wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm
Gord wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:14 pm
Gord wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 pm
you, Ed, Art, Nun, Dobs, Griff, Ray, other Ray, Justin, 2 anonymous people on Youtube, 2 people whose names I forget on another old forum....
I forgot Ama. And Don. Oh yeah, and Don's girlfriend!

If I start adding people I've known who watched it because they believe at least some of the nonsense presented on Ancient Aliens, the list would only grow by three or four. Hmm. Okay, only three, I can't think of a fourth.
How do you know what they believe?
Because I ask, "Why do you watch that stuff?" and they say, "Because I believe it." And then there's either an awkward silence, or they try to explain to me why it's all real. Often there's alcohol involved, so I get plastered on their booze while they ramble on.

I forget about Ed's mother, too. She's the worst! She believes in everything, from aliens to angels, all mixed together somehow. When she flies in a plane, she spends the entire time looking out the window for aliens and/or angels. Amazingly, she's never seen any.

She also believes in fairies. So does one other person I know, that I know of (there may be more, I just don't know about it).
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 am

Lausten wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 pm
she was speaking Spanish
She's an alien!!!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:50 am

Lausten wrote:she was speaking Spanish
Gord wrote:She's an alien!!!
"Soy un extraterrestre del espacio exterior!" :D
Zorro 2.jpg
Zorro 1.jpg
Zorro 3.jpg
Zorro was an alien because he spoke Spanish. That's why he made the Jupiter II go off course in Lost in Space. I thought everyone knew that. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:08 pm

No, es porque usaba métrica en lugar de imperial.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Cognitive dissonance: "Based on the size of the universe, and what we know about the rapid appearance of life on earth, and the extreme tenacity of extremophiles, it's likely that the universe is teeming with life." and: "But no intelligent life has ever visited here, because it's imply too far for them to travel. Not only that, intelligent life is extremely rare, and in fact we may be the most intelligent life in the universe."

I see a contradiction, partially at least. How do we know that ETs never visited earth? Even ourselves, we know better than to leave things lying around after we go camping. One would expect that any civilization advanced enough to reach earth would know about the devastating effects of interfering with our normal development. We have abundant evidence of it ourselves, on our own planet where contact between cultures resulted in massive devastation to the less advanced culture.

You don't need to be a believer, or a fan of Mr. Crazy-hair to entertain a few thought experiments about the possibilities contained in the extraterrestrial hypothesis.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm

They visited every hundred million years for a long time, then gave up on this place. No intelligent life found.

Last visit was around Christmas last year.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:24 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:32 pm
How do we know that ETs never visited earth? Even ourselves, we know better than to leave things lying around after we go camping. One would expect that any civilization advanced enough to reach earth would know about the devastating effects of interfering with our normal development. We have abundant evidence of it ourselves, on our own planet where contact between cultures resulted in massive devastation to the less advanced culture.
Gawd wrote: They visited every hundred million years for a long time, then gave up on this place. No intelligent life found.

Last visit was around Christmas last year.
Alien interference -> Our collossally {!#%@} up version of civilization.

Just Look. :mrgreen:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm

I heard they left because we don't have very many good restaurants.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:08 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm
I heard they left because we don't have very many good restaurants.
Well, most of them. I'm still about because I actually like the food.

Ate myself half to death, and while I was sleeping it off, everyone else left.

Now I'm stranded.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 am

One should never eat oneself.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 am

Gord wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 am
... When she flies in a plane, she spends the entire time looking out the window for aliens and/or angels. Amazingly, she's never seen any. ...
Well, duh! They are holding the plane up. She'd see them if the windows were in the floor. :roll:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:20 am

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 am
Gord wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 am
... When she flies in a plane, she spends the entire time looking out the window for aliens and/or angels. Amazingly, she's never seen any. ...
Well, duh! They are holding the plane up. She'd see them if the windows were in the floor. :roll:
She's seen youtube videos of UFOs outside airplane windows, so she believes they're real and expects they're always going to be out there whenever she's on a plane.

Oooh, look, the exaust from another plane's engines:

Aliens. :|
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 am

Well of course it's aliens - that muzac screams aliens!

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Gord wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:20 am
Oooh, look, the exaust from another plane's engines:

Aliens. :|
It was jet exhaust, but the music makes it a UFO.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:34 pm

I wonder why the passengers on Oumuamua aren't calling for help for their tumbling out-of-control spacecraft?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm

where is the proof it was exhaust? oh yeah....you have no proof...just what makes you feel more comfortable...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm
where is the proof it was exhaust? oh yeah....you have no proof...just what makes you feel more comfortable...
Argumentum ad Ignorantiam, also known as argument from ignorance. I'm sure you could show that video to 50 pilots and they would all say that they've seen the exact thing many times before. Most airliners use turbofan engines which burn efficiently and don't produce much smoke, but turbojet engines produce more smoke.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 pm

no evidence
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 pm
no evidence
Actually there is evidence, because it looks exactly like what a smoke trail from a turbojet powered plane would look like climbing to altitude.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm

your words look exactly like what an alien would say....not fooling anyone...

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm
Anyone?
Anyone agreeing with you?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm

maybe

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Anything is possible, but some things are extremely unlikely. If you guess all 10 questions on a multiple choice quiz with 4 possible answers, the chance of getting them all right is less than 1 in 10,000.

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 am

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm
I've already admitted I was an alien.
Gord wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 am
Well there's not enough copper in Human food for my nutritional needs. I can either eat myself or eat a horseshoe crab, and the latter sounds unappetising.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm
We've been reading your posts for years now, which makes us experts in recognising exhaust. What form of (and I use the wordly loosely just for you) "proof" would you like to see?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Wordbird wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 am
Gord wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 am
Well there's not enough copper in Human food for my nutritional needs. I can either eat myself or eat a horseshoe crab, and the latter sounds unappetising.
Have you tried a white wine sauce?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:45 pm

any proof

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:45 pm
any proof
Oh. Well then, I already posted it. It's the video itself. Watch it and look at the exhaust!
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 pm

not proof...looks like an alien ship

Wordbird
Poster

Post by Wordbird » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 am

gorgeous wrote:
any proof
My intellect? I solved the red hat and blue hat problem rather easily.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 pm
not proof...looks like an alien ship
The evidence of the video strongly suggests otherwise. We experts have identified it as exhaust from another aircraft. It most definitely does not look like "an alien ship" as no such thing has ever been shown to exist, therefore it is impossible to claim anything else looks like it. You might as well say it looks like a zeebadoo, which is a thing I just made up and therefore also has no defined shape.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Wordbird wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 am
gorgeous wrote:
any proof
My intellect? I solved the red hat and blue hat problem rather easily.
By putting on the black hat?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 pm

:lol:
Lard, save me from your followers.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Dr. Paul Czysz is a Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at Parks College in St. Louis. He spent 8 years in the Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, and another 30 years working for McDonnell Douglas in the field of exotic technologies. While at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, he was involved in tracking UFOs over Missouri, Ohio and Michigan. These UFOs were seen by many people: military, local police, and civilians, and were clocked at speeds around 20,000 MPH as they performed unusual silent maneuvers. Dr Czysz spent more than half his career at McDonnell-Douglas working on classified and compartmentalized projects, and testifies to the processes involved in maintaining secrecy on these projects. He warns against the human tendency to make every new technology into a weapon, pointing out that our weaponization of space does not address the threat of earth terrorists, and the idea of using these weapons against extraterrestrial targets would be suicidal.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:44 pm

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 pm

I have little doubt that such sightings could eventually be explained by something mundane, but it's a bit unsettling to think that it's being handled by people who are acting like jackasses, and it's being dismissed by the navy with lame explanations. Something similar happened with the Pearl Harbor attack, when a radar operator reported a formation of planes headed for the fleet at anchor, but his report was casually dismissed.

Face it, the jury's still out, or it should be until this can be clarified as a threat to security or not.