Defending Reincarnation

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5046
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by gorgeous » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm

it is fact ---------seth--“You will reincarnate whether or not you believe that you will. It is much easier if your theories fit reality; but if they do not, you will not change the nature of reincarnation one iota.” (From the book: THE SETH MATERIAL
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Confidencia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 pm

gorgeous wrote:it is fact ---------seth--“You will reincarnate whether or not you believe that you will. It is much easier if your theories fit reality; but if they do not, you will not change the nature of reincarnation one iota.” (From the book: THE SETH MATERIAL
Consciousness is the fact, not its forms. There will be another idea or form if you like that this consciousness will identify with. It cannot be called reincarnation because it is not the same person that is born again it is just another idea that you the consciousness has and identifies with. How can the brain recognise anything other than that which is in the present? You are not the idea, you are the fact. Consciousness does not die because it was never born.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29578
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Confidencia wrote:There is nothing that you can experience that is real.
No. You don't believe your own religious bull-{!#%@}.

You make posts on our forum with your expectation that we will read them. Therefore your religious claim "nothing is real" self debunks itself the moment you made that post.

The depth of your ongoing hypocrisy is enormous. You changed your forum name, numerous times, from Shaka, to Clarifyit4me and so on, out of embarrassment for your conflicting previous posts, as you know they are real and we can all see them.

You are simply a sad lonely person, who seeks attention from skeptics.
:D

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29578
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:24 pm

gorgeous wrote:it is fact ---------seth--“
Gorgeous? Did you forget from last week? Seth was a 1960's fictional invented character by an alcoholic clairvoyant called Jane Roberts. Every "Seth Prediction" failed.

Jane Roberts as Seth, said in 1973, that "the continents would rise from the oceans in 2000" and nothing happened.

Can you name one prediction that Jane Roberts or "Seth" got right?
dung Gorgeous.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zealous
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Zealous » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 am

The problems trying to explain reincarnation are very tall mountains to overcome. For one thing, if souls are immaterial, they must therefore be capable of faster the light travel because they have no mass and are not composed of subatomic particles. Why then does no one ever remember their previous life in the Zeta Reticuli star cluster? Why are immaterial souls bound to the planet Earth?

If souls are bound to this planet, or coupled to it, souls must therefore have an element of materiality to them and are not immaterially composed of 'nothing' and must therefore have mass.

Nonetheless I was once showing a magazine to a pre-two year old relative and my little relative saw a piece of art composed of a couple of decorative masks, pointed and shouted "Buddha! Buddha!" I asked him what is that, and again his eyes lit up in happiness and pointed and shouted "Buddha!" I didn't let it go. I pointed out other things in the magazine and would ask what is it and got nothing but an uninterested toddler. If I went back to the picture in question, it was "Buddha". Obviously I am spelling Buddha correctly whereas the toddler simply shouted it.

That was one of those things in life that you never forget. We were not Buddhists and the child I can promise you had never heard the word Buddha mentioned in the household. Just FYI, I was probably 18 or 19 and therefore not a child.

The problems in explaining reincarnation scientifically are just so many and so irreconcilable with logic..... Its likely a waste of time to try and presume it exists and then to try and dissect it with the scientific method.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29578
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:39 am

Zealous wrote:The problems trying to explain reincarnation are very tall mountains to overcome. For one thing, if souls are immaterial,
There is no evidence for a soul at all. It is a legacy myth from religious fiction.

Try define a soul for us and list its characteristics and abilities. You can't can you?

Do you know why? (Hint : What brand of tobacco did Sherlock Holmes, the fictional character, use? )

Zealous
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Zealous » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:42 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Zealous wrote:The problems trying to explain reincarnation are very tall mountains to overcome. For one thing, if souls are immaterial,
There is no evidence for a soul at all. It is a legacy myth from religious fiction.

Try define a soul for us and list its characteristics and abilities. You can't can you?

Do you know why? (Hint : What brand of tobacco did Sherlock Holmes, the fictional character, use? )
You need to go back an reread my post before you start firing questions like that. Point out in my post where I said I believe in a soul? I don't think you can because I didn't say that.

So please go back and READ what I wrote and not your superposition of what you want to pretend that I said.

Oh wait, you have 26000 posts. You poor man...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29578
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:23 am

Zealous wrote: You need to go back an reread my post before you start firing questions like that.

I did. You proposed a question about whether souls are bound to earth or not. That is a stupid as wondering if Snoppy's dog house is Jet propelled or propeller driven. They are stories from fictional literature. :lol:

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Phoenix76 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:57 am

Sorry Matthew, but after reading all this BS, I have to say something.

"How To Write an hypothesis", not "a hypothesis".

This surely shows how bored and turned off I am on this thread. I don't even know why I have responded. Maybe it bores me so much that I have to say something. Bobbo, you know exactly what I mean.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 15574
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 am

Yep. sometimes, nothing is all we've got.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5046
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by gorgeous » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:15 pm

it's real....between physical lives you have a non-physical body, in the non-physical dimensions you hang out with friends /family/former animals, can take classes on any subject, get counseling on next life and improving your behavior ,assist others when they are out of body or recently dead, explain the 'ropes' to them, help them meet with family, can learn to travel to other dimensions for experiences, can assist those on Earth...or just relax from a difficult life... wiki------The astral plane, also called the astral world, is a plane of existence postulated by classical (particularly neo-Platonic), medieval, oriental, and esoteric philosophies and mystery religions.[1] It is the world of the celestial spheres, crossed by the soul in its astral body on the way to being born and after death, and is generally believed to be populated by angels, spirits or other immaterial beings.[2] ------------------and there are people shocked to learn they have lived on other planets and have been non-human....some learn it from being regressed, some from a nde...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 15574
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:48 pm

gorgeous wrote:it's real....between physical lives you have a non-physical body,
I stopped reading right there. bodies are PHYSICAL. Crap to say otherwise. I'll leave the details........ to you.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5046
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by gorgeous » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:15 pm

wrong.....we have a physical body, astral body, etheric body...maybe another one...only one is physical...the astral body is the body of desires and passions is related to the astral dimension...the etheric body contains all your life memories and experiences..when you have a shock it will often release the life memories from the etheric body---'my life flashed before my eyes'....some astral and etheric bodies of very highly evolved souls are preserved and used for incarnating highly evolved teachers on earth....normally they will dissolve after a life as the physical body does... ------------------The Principle of Spiritual Economy - Rudolf Steiner Archive


wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/GA109/English/AP1986/PrSpEc_index.html


-----------They reveal one aspect of how humanity has been guided spiritually throughout history: the etheric and astral bodies of great Initiates and avatars were preserved, duplicated, and woven into leading personalities of history. Steiner gives numerous examples of this process but says that such inspired people are now a rarity.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29578
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 pm

gorgeous wrote:wrong.....we have a physical body, astral body, etheric body...
No Gorgeous. Prove us wrong by joining an astral forum and going away.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by mirror93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:11 pm

ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.
you die you dead... show evidence of someone who died and got back, for the soul evidence, there is no physical evidence now if u want to talk about immaterial theories go to another forum cuz that has nothing to do with physics or science, i think ur arguing for dualism or whatever , go to a philosophy forum
Last edited by mirror93 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:paladin:

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by mirror93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:21 pm

Confidencia wrote:
ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.

There is nothing that you can experience that is real. The mind is as false as the ideas that it conjures up. As for reincarnation there is no argument counter or otherwise. Reincarnation is a belief, a matter of opinion; it is not a fact. There is no proof for it and even if there were the evidence would be very flimsy. The fact of the matter is nobody or nothing dies in the real sense of the word or is even born for that matter. People and things simply appear and disappear. Ideas are born and it is the idea that dies nothing else. You have an idea about yourself, that idea that you have about yourself is what dies, not you. Reincarnation can easily be dismissed as mere make believe or wishful thinking. Find out what what you are in reality and you will find the answers to your questions about reincarnation.
:paladin:

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Confidencia » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:19 am

mirror93 wrote:
ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.
you die you dead... show evidence of someone who died and got back, for the soul evidence, there is no physical evidence now if u want to talk about immaterial theories go to another forum cuz that has nothing to do with physics or science, i think ur arguing for dualism or whatever , go to a philosophy forum
This is both true and false, but the fact of the matter is unless the immaterial is there, there is no scope for anything material. End of, point simple, point blank.
Nobody dies and comes back, the soul is just another illusion along with the rest of your ideas.
Whether philosophical or scientific all thoughts emanate from that which is unthinkable.

Try exercising some intelligence mirror93

Btw,if you are going to post YouTube vids try not to post the ones that are narrated by hill billies.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29578
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 am

Confidencia wrote:Nobody dies and comes back,
Confidencia Movie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by mirror93 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:39 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Nobody dies and comes back,
Confidencia Movie.jpg

LMFAO
Last edited by mirror93 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:paladin:

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by mirror93 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 pm

Confidencia wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.
you die you dead... show evidence of someone who died and got back, for the soul evidence, there is no physical evidence now if u want to talk about immaterial theories go to another forum cuz that has nothing to do with physics or science, i think ur arguing for dualism or whatever , go to a philosophy forum
This is both true and false, but the fact of the matter is unless the immaterial is there, there is no scope for anything material. End of, point simple, point blank.
Nobody dies and comes back, the soul is just another illusion along with the rest of your ideas.
Whether philosophical or scientific all thoughts emanate from that which is unthinkable.

Try exercising some intelligence mirror93

Btw,if you are going to post YouTube vids try not to post the ones that are narrated by hill billies.
srsly, your computer is not material?

" that which is unthinkable. " if it's unthinkable then how do you know the "unthinkable" exists ? if it's unthinkable? you are a clown

of course nobody dies and comes back. if you die you're f dead. there is no way someone who is dead to come back, that has nothing to do with whether the soul exist or is an illusion or not. we are talking another thing here.

and the moment you say "there is no death" "all is 'x'" "we are an illusion", deep deep down you are affirming the existence of soul, because you really are afraid of death and you INDIVIDUALLY are expressing your beliefs that make you feel good about life after death, you just don't assume that it's a soul, you say it's the "true self" the "real you" the "alone self" or whatever crap you believe in

"Try exercising some intelligence mirror93"
says who? do I have the free-will to do that? but arent you the anti free-will idiot that denies that the agent the experiencer is real? then who is going to do that? 'me'??? how so? so am I the 'me' that can change something? the 'me' you say doesn't truly exist with free-will ? then who is going to do that?
see your contradictions?

and I forgot to mention. it's not an idea about yourself that dies, it's yOU who is having the ideas that dies, evident by the fact that when you die, you won't be able to post garbage here anymore, then who died? your ideas, your posts, or you who was having the ideas?? yes, you, the thinker behind the posts and behind ur ideas, that's the one who will die.
:paladin:

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Confidencia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:21 am

mirror93 wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.
you die you dead... show evidence of someone who died and got back, for the soul evidence, there is no physical evidence now if u want to talk about immaterial theories go to another forum cuz that has nothing to do with physics or science, i think ur arguing for dualism or whatever , go to a philosophy forum
This is both true and false, but the fact of the matter is unless the immaterial is there, there is no scope for anything material. End of, point simple, point blank.
Nobody dies and comes back, the soul is just another illusion along with the rest of your ideas.
Whether philosophical or scientific all thoughts emanate from that which is unthinkable.

Try exercising some intelligence mirror93

Btw,if you are going to post YouTube vids try not to post the ones that are narrated by hill billies.
srsly, your computer is not material?

" that which is unthinkable. " if it's unthinkable then how do you know the "unthinkable" exists ? if it's unthinkable? you are a clown

of course nobody dies and comes back. if you die you're f dead. there is no way someone who is dead to come back, that has nothing to do with whether the soul exist or is an illusion or not. we are talking another thing here.

and the moment you say "there is no death" "all is 'x'" "we are an illusion", deep deep down you are affirming the existence of soul, because you really are afraid of death and you INDIVIDUALLY are expressing your beliefs that make you feel good about life after death, you just don't assume that it's a soul, you say it's the "true self" the "real you" the "alone self" or whatever crap you believe in

"Try exercising some intelligence mirror93"
says who? do I have the free-will to do that? but arent you the anti free-will idiot that denies that the agent the experiencer is real? then who is going to do that? 'me'??? how so? so am I the 'me' that can change something? the 'me' you say doesn't truly exist with free-will ? then who is going to do that?
see your contradictions?

and I forgot to mention. it's not an idea about yourself that dies, it's yOU who is having the ideas that dies, evident by the fact that when you die, you won't be able to post garbage here anymore, then who died? your ideas, your posts, or you who was having the ideas?? yes, you, the thinker behind the posts and behind ur ideas, that's the one who will die.
All happens by itself, there is no me you only imagine so. You are not very intelligent mirror. It would be great if you actually knew what you were talking about and were able to read to understand. Perhaps then we could start a dialogue. :lol:
Last edited by Confidencia on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Confidencia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 am

mirror93 wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.
you die you dead... show evidence of someone who died and got back, for the soul evidence, there is no physical evidence now if u want to talk about immaterial theories go to another forum cuz that has nothing to do with physics or science, i think ur arguing for dualism or whatever , go to a philosophy forum
This is both true and false, but the fact of the matter is unless the immaterial is there, there is no scope for anything material. End of, point simple, point blank.
Nobody dies and comes back, the soul is just another illusion along with the rest of your ideas.
Whether philosophical or scientific all thoughts emanate from that which is unthinkable.

Try exercising some intelligence mirror93

Btw,if you are going to post YouTube vids try not to post the ones that are narrated by hill billies.
srsly, your computer is not material?

" that which is unthinkable. " if it's unthinkable then how do you know the "unthinkable" exists ? if it's unthinkable? you are a clown
Because I exist yet I do not.


and the moment you say "there is no death" "all is 'x'" "we are an e in

"Try exercising some intelligence mirror93"
says who? do I have the free-will to do that? but arent you the anti free-will idiot that denies that the agent the experiencer is real? then who is going to do that? 'me'??? how so? so am I the 'me' that can change something? the 'me' you say doesn't truly exist with free-will ? then who is going to do that?
see your contradictions?
There is no contradiction. Inside that body of yours there is an observer, you cannot know it or describe it or even see it because it is you. When the mind of this observer faces outwards it identifies itself with the mental formations that are generated via its consciousness. But because you lack intelligence and understanding you will struggle to grasp even the elementary level of such wisdom 8-) . The problem of agency is your own. See things as they are without involving your imagination and you will come to know and understand.

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Confidencia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:02 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Nobody dies and comes back,
Confidencia Movie.jpg
Still drawing pictures ellard? Isn't it about time you graduated from your infancy? :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29578
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 am

Confidencia wrote:Because I exist yet I do not.
Set fire to yourself. We will video you screaming. See how easy science is to do? :lol:
Confidencia Movie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
TJrandom
True Skeptic
Posts: 10730
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by TJrandom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:39 am

Confidencia wrote:
ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.

There is nothing that you can experience that is real. The mind is as false as the ideas that it conjures up. As for reincarnation there is no argument counter or otherwise. Reincarnation is a belief, a matter of opinion; it is not a fact. There is no proof for it and even if there were the evidence would be very flimsy. The fact of the matter is nobody or nothing dies in the real sense of the word or is even born for that matter. People and things simply appear and disappear. Ideas are born and it is the idea that dies nothing else. You have an idea about yourself, that idea that you have about yourself is what dies, not you. Reincarnation can easily be dismissed as mere make believe or wishful thinking. Find out what what you are in reality and you will find the answers to your questions about reincarnation.
Nobody is born? Mothers might disagree... well, fathers too.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 15574
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 am

Let's say reincarnation is real. What difference does it make? Like god: real but not interacting. Like God: I cannot observe/have never sensed or recognized his actions in this world, for me or for anyone else. Reincarnation, the details of it, would totally be a god product/service would it not? Or is it like math an outside constraint on God???

When the world/your life proceeds the same with or without a concept, the fact of its existence is irrelevant having the same value of not existing.

Know what I mean?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
TJrandom
True Skeptic
Posts: 10730
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by TJrandom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 am

I wouldn`t have thought of reincarnation as being a god product - just as I don`t think of living mater death and decay with resultant nutrient absorption into other living things as being a god product. I don`t believe in reincarnation simply because I see no evidence for it, just as I see no evidence for gods.

My guess is that reincarnation is simply a different interpretation on spontaneous generation – a concept created from ignorance of the time.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 15574
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:24 am

god product==just an allusion. Showing the common fallacy of each. As god is the creator/minder/cause of all things...of course reincarnation just as birth and death would be too. Given neither exist, or exist but don't interact, you can think of them as you wish....... as we all do, or don't. Its just word play.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Centaur
Poster
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:20 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Centaur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:29 pm

ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.
Wikipedia LInk: Russell's Teapot

"Russell's teapot is an analogy, formulated by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others."

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Confidencia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:23 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
ThinkingJim wrote:I want to defend the claim that reincarnation is real. Someone give me counter-evidence or a counter-argument, if you can, make it the ones you believe in.

There is nothing that you can experience that is real. The mind is as false as the ideas that it conjures up. As for reincarnation there is no argument counter or otherwise. Reincarnation is a belief, a matter of opinion; it is not a fact. There is no proof for it and even if there were the evidence would be very flimsy. The fact of the matter is nobody or nothing dies in the real sense of the word or is even born for that matter. People and things simply appear and disappear. Ideas are born and it is the idea that dies nothing else. You have an idea about yourself, that idea that you have about yourself is what dies, not you. Reincarnation can easily be dismissed as mere make believe or wishful thinking. Find out what what you are in reality and you will find the answers to your questions about reincarnation.
Nobody is born? Mothers might disagree... well, fathers too.
Of course.

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Dubious » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:54 pm

To defend it you need to give it a purpose. What is the purpose in reincarnation? I never could figure that out. The only type I can think of is one where your ashes get recycled into a tree in which case you would have your own little contribution to photosynthesis without ever knowing the source.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11594
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Why would reincarnation need a purpose. Evolution neither has nor needs a purpose.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
TJrandom
True Skeptic
Posts: 10730
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by TJrandom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:32 am

As with most religions - the purpose might simply be to dupe believers out of valuables. It takes cash to cross that river...

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Dubious » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:00 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:Why would reincarnation need a purpose. Evolution neither has nor needs a purpose.
Well, yes and no. Depends on where you're starting from.

No, since evolution is a process we didn't create; it created us and everything else on the planet. Every process has an "agenda" of some kind otherwise the process wouldn't exist. Compare reincarnation which is only our idea. What is the process there that would lead it to a purpose? We can only imagine one!

Yes, ontologically stated. Negating purpose in evolution begs the question '"what is the purpose in existence"? We never found any and so we usually default to there isn't any. The latter view makes the most sense because what you can't ever know you might as well forget about.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 33797
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Gord » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:Why would reincarnation need a purpose. Evolution neither has nor needs a purpose.
Well, technically, he said you need to give it a purpose. That might imply that natural things (which reincarnation would be if it were real) don't have purposes until someone gives them one in order to understand it.

I choose to read his post that way. It gives it some -*umph*- purpose.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10188
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Poodle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 am

Gord wrote:...Well, technically, he said you need to give it a purpose. That might imply that natural things (which reincarnation would be if it were real) don't have purposes until someone gives them one in order to understand it ...
Porpoises are natural. A porpoise has a purpose. All porpoises have purposes.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 33797
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Gord » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:07 am

My special porpoise ultimately had two purposes (three if you include gritting my driveway with its ashes).
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Confidencia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Because I exist yet I do not.
Set fire to yourself. We will video you screaming. See how easy science is to do? :lol:

Confidencia Movie.jpg
The reaction of the body to an impact merely proves something has happened to the body, not to me. The body functions by itself, if you don't believe me try to stop the feces from coming out of your mouth or arshole for that matter. :lol: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10188
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Poodle » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Because I exist yet I do not.
Set fire to yourself. We will video you screaming. See how easy science is to do? :lol:

Confidencia Movie.jpg
The reaction of the body to an impact merely proves something has happened to the body, not to me. The body functions by itself, if you don't believe me try to stop the feces from coming out of your mouth or arshole for that matter. :lol: :mrgreen:
And if you really believe that, con, go jump off a high cliff. Report back here with your observations after the event. With pics, of course.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Defending Reincarnation

Post by Aztexan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:45 pm

If anyone is dumb enough to believe the body and self are two distinct entities, then couldn't murderers claim that they didn't kill their victims, they just freed them from their physical constraints?
trump is Putin's bitch