Natural remedies may react adversely with heart medications

A skeptical look at medical practices
Pyrrho
Administrator

Natural remedies may react adversely with heart medications

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:41 pm

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news ... eart-drugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps it might be wise to consult your doctor and inform them of what you're taking for whatever ails you.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Natural remedies may react adversely with heart medications

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Pyrrho wrote:http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news ... eart-drugs

Perhaps it might be wise to consult your doctor and inform them of what you're taking for whatever ails you.
Meh, what's wrong with throwing random, and largely untested, medications into the mix? I mean, after all, we do drink water, and it's so cross-contaminated now we really shouldn't be buying medicine at all.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Kitiara
Frequent Poster

Post by Kitiara » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:20 pm

The non random, tested and approved meds carry a one page ad followed by three pages of side effects in the magazines, and 3/4 of the time used on the tv ads tell you why not to take them, too. Perhaps that should be considered as well. :?
------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with life is there's no background music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=669JgdXu-u0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgGQgmA1Ic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Kitiara wrote:The non random, tested and approved meds carry a one page ad followed by three pages of side effects in the magazines, and 3/4 of the time used on the tv ads tell you why not to take them, too. Perhaps that should be considered as well. :?
And home remedies have gone through such thorough testing? By whom, the local shaman?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Kitiara
Frequent Poster

Post by Kitiara » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:39 am

Hard to pin down what is meant by home remedies. Is that slippery elm bark, cod liver oil, vitamins, silicea, or just anything the medical profession does not make a buck on?

Here's another article similar to Pyr's...http://wellness.blogs.time.com/2010/02/ ... eart-meds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my opinion no one should ever take St. John's Wort or Ginko Biloba. I don't know how the public could educate themselves to be protected against using dangerous products that are all so available. The side effects of herbs are something I have studied and the info is not always easy to find.
I think if you are on medications you should have a very strict diet that would keep you from taking anything the doctor does not allow for you. I suppose that sometimes the doctor does not get the memo on stuff like garlic, or does not stress the no-nos enough to keep folks away from them.
Last edited by Kitiara on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=669JgdXu-u0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgGQgmA1Ic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:53 am

Kitiara wrote:Hard to pin down what is meant by home remedies. Is that slippery elm bark, cod liver oil, vitamins, silicea, or just anything the medical profession does not make a buck on?
The article gives a partial list. This is mentioned:
For almost two decades, researchers have known that grapefruit juice can increase dosages of some drugs to toxic levels by inhibiting a key enzyme in the intestine that breaks down medications.
I think I may be able to find the hardcopy journal. The online version costs $15.00 to read, or requires a subscription.

http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/conte ... t/55/6/515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Response from the Council for Responsible Nutrition:

http://www.crnusa.org/CRNPR10_CRNquesti ... 20110.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many herbal supplements offer healthful benefits, and fiber, garlic, and Hawthorne provide heart health benefits, and the potential risk for a drug interaction can be eliminated by speaking openly with your doctor.
At least they agree with what I wrote in the OP.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Kitiara
Frequent Poster

Post by Kitiara » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:02 am

Sorry, I edited to add stuff w/o making a separate comment and passed up your reply. I guess I thought I was here by myself. :)

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:06 am

I also think it's wise to be very careful about what pharmaceuticals a person takes for any condition. Drug-drug interactions are a real problem, let alone the risks of adverse events. The benefit|risk ratio has to be weighted well toward benefit. It's not a simple or easy thing to deal with.

Kitiara
Frequent Poster

Post by Kitiara » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:16 am

Me, I don't do drugs. I would be the one with the garlic and grapefruit seed extract. I use aspirin for high fevers and sodium cromylin for my sinus, that's about it. One problem with natural or home remedy is when you feel like crap it is hard to think, and you need to think a lot before you treat a symptom. Most people don't study up on things before they try them, either. Me, I'm paranoid about my health and have an extensive library so I have a big advantage over most folks when it comes to checking up on something before I consider taking it.
Huh, plus I have google...

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 am

As more people take herbal remedies, more is learned about the interactions with prescription meds, and as of late, there is a campaign to tell your medical doctors, dentists, etc., all of the vitamins, herbs, supplements and OTC's you are taking. Here's a list, from a holistic website, of some of the herbs, over the counter meds, and foods which can be problematic with certain meds. http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Me ... d_reac.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kitiara
Frequent Poster

Post by Kitiara » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:38 am

One can put out there that the interactions will not be there w/o the prescription meds. 8-)

jenthehero
Regular Poster

Re: Natural remedies may react adversely with heart medicati

Post by jenthehero » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Asprin kills lots of people.... lots of liver damage, skeptics will not talk of this. IMO because they are scammy and have an agenda....

Asprin was developed from a natural plant, white willow bark, thins the blood, reduces pain etc. the new 'patented' drugs are not attacked but the natural plant is????

What a crock o chit.

Rockefeller the guy who started all this deception, controlled the books and the study programs. He lived to be 98, he ate healthy organic foods, practiced homopathy, herbal cures and drank breast milk from 18 yr. old pregnant women.

So I think this forum is bunk.
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:46 pm

Kitiara wrote:One can put out there that the interactions will not be there w/o the prescription meds. 8-)
well the interaction won't be there if they die either

sorry, prescription meds prolong life, herbal remedies don't and in some cases cause harm

I think it's complete and totally asinine to ignore medical research for something "somebody made up" and then buy it lock stock and barrel. Holistic crap is NOT peer reviewed, studied or evaluated. Their claims have been disproven again and again. Adherence to the fiction is nothing more than a religion.

And for the record I don't take squat.. unless you count beer, bacon and whiskey...
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

jenthehero
Regular Poster

Post by jenthehero » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Baloney, Tim is a bagel boy.

I think it is totally asinine to read research that is conflicted and not out of arms reach of the profit circle and buy it. Many pharma and other studies are forced through using deception, manipulation and buying the right.

Aspartame is a good PROVEN example, then you look at these vaccines they are trying to force you to get...... full of thermisoral, squaline and other poisons....only to find the shot is for another strain of the virus that is active in society....

It is a racket by any other name. This is also proven and documented.

Adherence to the lie is nothing more than slavery.
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 pm

jenthehero wrote:Baloney, Tim is a bagel boy.
Wow... random isn't really the word to describe that

http://bagelboyonline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope, never been there... and I definitely don't own the store or franchise. So wrong on that account.

jenthehero wrote: I think it is totally asinine to read research that is conflicted and not out of arms reach of the profit circle and buy it. Many pharma and other studies are forced through using deception, manipulation and buying the right.
a) you have never read research, period
b) you have zero idea of what research means/does/works
c) your nonsense is "deception, manipulation" along with ad-hom attacks
jenthehero wrote: Aspartame is <snip blah...blah...blah...>

It is a racket by any other name. This is also proven and documented.
No it's not, you have been proven wrong again and again.

jenthehero wrote:Adherence to the lie is nothing more than slavery.
Then apparently you are a slave.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Adam_Y

Post by Adam_Y » Fri May 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Kitiara wrote:Me, I don't do drugs. I would be the one with the garlic and grapefruit seed extract.
Except garlic interacts with drugs also :lol:

jannette
Regular Poster
Custom Title: I am

Post by jannette » Sat May 08, 2010 4:12 am

Which is better for your health
citrus or anitbiotics? Cause you can't take both
at the same time.
Good bye cruel internet world. My days here are numbered.
This comp' sucks & I just lost my phone. :(
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.
I just tell it like I see it. <(*.*)>

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun May 09, 2010 5:36 am

jannette wrote:Which is better for your health
at the same time.
Sure you can. It depends on the antibiotic. You might be told to avoid citrus if you're on erythromycin, for instance, but not if you're on penicillin.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

jannette
Regular Poster
Custom Title: I am

Post by jannette » Sun May 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Gord wrote:
at the same time.
Sure you can. It depends on the antibiotic. You might be told to avoid citrus if you're on erythromycin, for instance, but not if you're on penicillin.
What is erythromycin made from? Is it natural or cinthetic?
Good bye cruel internet world. My days here are numbered.
This comp' sucks & I just lost my phone. :(
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.
I just tell it like I see it. <(*.*)>

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Mon May 17, 2010 3:22 am

jannette wrote:
Gord wrote:
at the same time.
What is erythromycin made from? Is it natural or cinthetic?
Yes, it's a drug.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?