POWER BALANCE - New Age Mumbo Jumbo for Athletes

A skeptical look at medical practices
MarkSportsman

Re: POWER BALANCE - New Age Mumbo Jumbo for Athletes

Post by MarkSportsman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks Pyrrho - we now seem to have the start of a disciplined and structured analysis of the Power Balance claims.

The balance we have now is between the "believers" who have the challenge of proving it scientifically versus the skeptics, who I believe should accept the challenge of scientifically disproving the claims, rather than just claiming not to believe...

I am now searching around for scientific groups who can undertake the study...

On the mobile phone test front, here is how to do the test:

1. Stand facing the person testing you with your left arm out to your side and perpendicular to your body (in an upside down "L" shape).
2. Have your right hand over your heart holding a mobile phone with its "home screen" on (ie, not phoning out but also not on sleep mode).
3. Have the tester place their right hand just above your left elbow and then push down against your elbow. The test is to see if your shoulder muscles can withstand the pressure they exert on your elbow.
4. Then put the mobile phone down and repeat the test above to see if your left arm strength is restored/improved at all without the mobile phone being held.
What you are trying to evaluate is whether your left arm shoulder strength is the same or weaker by holding a mobile phone near your heart.

Just having a mobile phone or iPhone on your body is not necessarily going to cause a general loss in performance as was pointed out above. But having it placed near or on your heart does seem to cause some level of disruption to immediate left arm strength in the informal tests that I have performed so far.

What is your experience like then in doing this test?

MarkSportsman

Post by MarkSportsman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:35 pm

MarkSportsman wrote:...the skeptics, who I believe should accept the challenge of scientifically disproving the claims, rather than just claiming not to believe....

I'm just here for the cooties, myself.
Last edited by Gord on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

JJM
Veteran Poster

Post by JJM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 am

MarkSportsman wrote:... [1] My hope is that someone on this forum might be prepared to bring some scientific discipline to disproving the claimed merits of a product such as the Power Balance band, rather than just to rant that "it's just another scam and why should we believe it".

[2] I have done the tests now on over 30 of my friends over the last few days with a 100% success rate. I have even had friends who know nothing about the product do the tests on their friends with the same success. I can see the effect, but I can't explain it. I was hoping that someone here might be able to. ...
1) The burden is on you to prove the case, not on us to disprove it. 2) If you have done adequate studies, publish them in a high-quality journal and we can discuss them.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 am

hol⋅o⋅gram
–noun
Optics. a negative produced by exposing a high-resolution photographic plate, without camera or lens, near a subject illuminated by monochromatic, coherent radiation, as from a laser: when it is placed in a beam of coherent light a true three-dimensional image of the subject is formed.

From the power balance site:
What is Power Balance?
Power Balance is performance technology that uses holograms embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body’s natural energy field to improve balance, strength, and flexibility.

How does it work?
Most everything has a frequency inherent to it. Some frequencies react positively with your body and others negatively. When the hologram comes in contact with your body’s energy field, it allows your body to interact with the natural, beneficial frequency stored within the hologram. This results in improved energy flow throughout your body.

"holograms embedded with frequencies"

So... we have different types of "holograms". We have the cheap ones you can put onto your cards, which in many cases are nothing more than multi-layered optical effect. And you have "real" holograms, using helium-neon lasers.

The problem I have is the "techno babble" they're using here. This is my first giant red flag. I'd need to know:
a. what the heck they mean by "holograms embedded with frequencies"
b. how do they "embed a frequency"?
c. what type of hologram are they saying they're embedding with a frequency?

Oh, and there's much more.

The 2nd giant red flag is their link to testimonials on the direct site. That is the tried and true hallmark of snake-oil... oh, I don't have any real science, but I do have testimonials...

The 3rd red flag for me is the sheer number of brand new forum members here to talk about this product I never heard of until this thread... and honestly don't give a roaring shiet about. Interesting....

My first take on this just from perusing their site is that they are shiesters selling you crap (i.e. snake oil salesmen). They don't even do a good job of making it look serious. Not really worth the effort to debunk IMO.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:35 am

MarkSportsman wrote:Thanks Pyrrho - we now seem to have the start of a disciplined and structured analysis of the Power Balance claims.

The balance we have now is between the "believers" who have the challenge of proving it scientifically versus the skeptics, who I believe should accept the challenge of scientifically disproving the claims, rather than just claiming not to believe...

I am now searching around for scientific groups who can undertake the study...

On the mobile phone test front, here is how to do the test:

1. Stand facing the person testing you with your left arm out to your side and perpendicular to your body (in an upside down "L" shape).
2. Have your right hand over your heart holding a mobile phone with its "home screen" on (ie, not phoning out but also not on sleep mode).
3. Have the tester place their right hand just above your left elbow and then push down against your elbow. The test is to see if your shoulder muscles can withstand the pressure they exert on your elbow.
4. Then put the mobile phone down and repeat the test above to see if your left arm strength is restored/improved at all without the mobile phone being held.
What you are trying to evaluate is whether your left arm shoulder strength is the same or weaker by holding a mobile phone near your heart.

Just having a mobile phone or iPhone on your body is not necessarily going to cause a general loss in performance as was pointed out above. But having it placed near or on your heart does seem to cause some level of disruption to immediate left arm strength in the informal tests that I have performed so far.

What is your experience like then in doing this test?

The resistance should be a mechanical method that applies exactly the same force each time, not another person. Tester and subject should be blindfolded, or unable to see when force is applied. I suggest some way to drop a small weight, perhaps attached to a loop handle of some sort the subject puts their arm through and which is randomly dropped so that the person cannot anticipate the force.

Have someone wrap up a mobile phone and an object the same size and weight as a mobile phone. They are not to tell you or the subject which is which. Better still, have 10 such items wrapped. Number them 1 through 10. Only one is the mobile phone.

Each alleged phone is to be used in a test on 10 people. Total should be 100 tests, i.e. 10 test of 10 items on 10 people. Insufficient at present, but enough to allow us to get a general idea if chance is involved or not.

Catalog the results.

After all that is done, see if there is a statistical difference among the tests. After all the statistics are done, then unwrap the items and see which was the real mobile phone.

If the results do not differ from that expected by chance, what does that suggest?
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:16 am

Pyrrho wrote:The resistance should be a mechanical method that applies exactly the same force each time, not another person. Tester and subject should be blindfolded, or unable to see when force is applied. I suggest some way to drop a small weight, perhaps attached to a loop handle of some sort the subject puts their arm through and which is randomly dropped so that the person cannot anticipate the force.

Have someone wrap up a mobile phone and an object the same size and weight as a mobile phone. They are not to tell you or the subject which is which. Better still, have 10 such items wrapped. Number them 1 through 10. Only one is the mobile phone.

Each alleged phone is to be used in a test on 10 people. Total should be 100 tests, i.e. 10 test of 10 items on 10 people. Insufficient at present, but enough to allow us to get a general idea if chance is involved or not.

Catalog the results.

After all that is done, see if there is a statistical difference among the tests. After all the statistics are done, then unwrap the items and see which was the real mobile phone.

If the results do not differ from that expected by chance, what does that suggest?

You did not pay your phone bill?
The phone was not mobile enough?
The batteries were dead?
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:53 am

bigtim wrote:a. what the heck they mean by "holograms embedded with frequencies"

Maybe they meant "holograms embedded by frequencies" instead.

But then that's the only statement that would make even a little bit of sense, and the rest of it would stand out by its continued nonsense. So I doubt it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Blacksamwell
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Buckfutter

Post by Blacksamwell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:20 pm

The Schumann resonance is a standing wave of electro-magnetic energy that echoes within the space between the surface of the planet and the lower limit of the ionosphere. The atmosphere "rings" within this frequency because the distance between the planet surface and the ionosphere matches the size of the wave for those signals at the Schumann resonance frequency.

The exact frequency of the Schumann resonance changes as the size of the atmosphere changes. Sun cycles, weather, and influences from the moon alter the distance between the surface of the earth and the ionosphere, thus "tuning" the atmosphere to "ring" in different frequencies.

That being the case... Why would anyone expect our bodies or parts of our bodies to resonate with the same frequency(ies) of electro-magnetic energy?

Aside from the mechanisms of vision, is there any solid documentation about our bodies or parts of our bodies harmonizing, synchronizing, or in any way picking up on electro-magnetic energy in the ways claimed by the makers of this product?

fluidz

Post by fluidz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 pm

travelled to the nec in birmingham, england for the gadget show live 2010. Was sucked into the belief that the balance demonstration was faked so tried it myself, it worked. after the guy asked me to wear the band and the test worked he asked me ro stand on it and yet it still worked. Amazing.

However quite the contrary.

After purchasing one for 20quid, 10 quid discount i took the efx wristband home and tried it on about 30 of my mates. I was still skeptic even though i convinced myself there cant be any other explanation other than it worked.

30 people, of all different ages and intelligence. even my boss at work was asking for the website of these so called nasa made magic bands.

Inconclusive of why i nobody failed the test i ran my own elastic band test.

I asked 3 people to wear a blindfold, which they agreed to. I Showed them the band before putting it on them. After blindfolding them i asked if they knew why i was conducting the test, they said no, but were curious. i put the bands on all 3 people and applied pressure to their arms, like how the site shows you (efxusa.com). the test showed that they were very balanced and resistent to my weight. So far they were doing as they claim. I took off the bands from over their sleeves (no skin contact) and conducted the same tests again. Balance was weak and not as strong.

While they were still blindfolded, out came 3 rather thick and similar in width to the power bands. I instantly told all 3 people i was going to put the efx bands back on their arms, but used the elastic bands instead. Moving the efx bands approx 5 metres away from the people so it was clear of their so called 'energy field'

The elastic bands did the same thing, and improved the subjects balance as did the efx bands.
I removed the elastic bands and reapplied them, each time they were on they worked wonders.

Power bands.. No power, just placebo.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:14 am

Please don't mock my lifestyle choice. :glare:
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:10 pm

These seem more interesting

http://skepticbros.com/store/

Internationale
Poster
Custom Title: Trickle-down reality

Post by Internationale » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:55 pm

I just remembered I wanted to see if anyone had posted about Power Balance (BS) Bands. Was nice to see someone got to it a long time ago. In my search I noticed this one has been put to bed by BBC Wales. Woot!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11805616

As a matter of interest, the Power Balance website has shut down its UK website for now.

The majority of people I have come across who knew what the bands are had no idea why the 'tests' in the videos on the website 'proving' the effectiveness of the bands were worthless. Ask the average person who has a high school diploma or equivalent what a placebo-controlled double-blind experiment is, and my guess is that if you've got a randomised, large sample population, you'll get a hit rate below 5%. Essential knowledge as far as I'm concerned; if you don't want to go through life being duped that is. Then again, 'the powers that be' will find it a hell of a lot harder to control a population possessing that essential knowledge, so maybe that's why most 'educated kids' (or adults for that matter) can't tell the difference between the truth and BS (seeing as corporations have the most influence on society, particularly through government). As one of the greatest comedians who ever lived said
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That’s against their interests. That’s right. They don’t want people who are smart enough to sit around a kitchen table and think about how badly they’re getting {!#%@} by a system that threw them overboard 30 {!#%@}’ years ago. They don’t want that. You know what they want? They want obedient workers. Obedient workers, people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork.

Another perfect reason why a working understanding of the scientific method and experimentation is an essential part of education and is not being prioritised. Carl Sagan was on the money! ;)
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"- Oscar Wilde
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong"- Voltaire

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:50 am

fromthehills wrote:These seem more interesting

Aw damn! I got no moneyyyyy!! :cry:
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:These seem more interesting

Aw damn! I got no moneyyyyy!! :cry:

I'll email you one. ;)

Blacksamwell
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Buckfutter

Post by Blacksamwell » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Power Balance looses class action lawsuit and offers full refund plus shipping to anyone who joins the class action... Linky.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm

“We are pleased to resolve these matters, which will enable Power Balance to get back to the business of building a brand and further developing our Performance Technology™,” said Nina Freeland-Ringel, general counsel for Power Balance. “As with many early technologies, especially one involving Eastern origins, we recognize the potential for confusion in the marketplace, and concede we got ahead of ourselves with claims about our first product. While we have yet to fully document its benefits, we are wholly committed to the continued development of Power Balance products in association with athletes around the world.”

That's brilliant.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

fromthehills wrote:
“We are pleased to resolve these matters, which will enable Power Balance to get back to the business of building a brand and further developing our Performance Technology™,” said Nina Freeland-Ringel, general counsel for Power Balance. “As with many early technologies, especially one involving Eastern origins, we recognize the potential for confusion in the marketplace, and concede we got ahead of ourselves with claims about our first product. While we have yet to fully document its benefits, we are wholly committed to the continued development of Power Balance products in association with athletes around the world.”

That's brilliant.

"We need to protect our phony baloney jobs, gentlemen" - Mel Brooks (Blazing Saddles)
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Sunszu

Post by Sunszu » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Might I propose a hypothesis which I feel may well serve to discredit these devices in spite of possible benefits.

I give you the upcoming launch of the RFID chip.

Let me explain. According to physics, everything resonates at a particular frequency. Rather than writing a verbose description of this I'd encourage you to simply research resonance yourself. Take a tuning fork. If you set it to resonate and provide another fork within a certain proximity that fork will also resonate at the same frequency as the first . Now it starts to get crazy when you introduce electromagnetic waves at certain frequencies and discover that this is the basis for the other half of the universe.

If people started to think that such devices could in fact impact on the resonance of their physical and metabolical rate, what then of electromagnetic programable RFID chips that they want to implant into your arm or leg? What could the potential impact of such devices be on both your health and psychological state?

Now I'm not stating that these devices do in fact work. I do know however from personal experiments that a tuned coil will resonate another coil that sits within a certain proximity to the first. Contrary to what a previous cementer stated, this is no radio device, rather a coil that resonates and impacts a second one without any "transmission device".

Now if the above concepts work, why is it not possible that such a concept as these power brackets or whatever they are called may have some impact? We know that binaural beats (frequencies at certain htz) effect psychological states. We know that water resonates at 100htz. We even know that mini earthquakes can be kicked off by certain waves. So why is such a concept so ridiculous? What is ridiculous to me, is the fact that many of the skeptics here may be too closed minded to see that there is possibly a far greater and rather darker reason why such devices should be discredited and thrown into the "scam" box, along with Rife, Tesla and every other source of advancement within this field over the last 100 years.

Do your own research of resonance, and you may well just be forced to think twice. Now excuse me, I'm off on my journey to prove the world is flat!;)

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 am

Sunszu wrote:According to physics, everything resonates at a particular frequency.

That sounds inaccurate. Do you have any sources for that information?

Rather than writing a verbose description of this I'd encourage you to simply research resonance yourself. Take a tuning fork. If you set it to resonate and provide another fork within a certain proximity that fork will also resonate at the same frequency as the first.

That will only happen if the second tuning fork is able to resonate at the same frequency as the first one. There's also the question of damping, which will absorb the energy.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:25 am

Gord wrote:
Sunszu wrote:According to physics, everything resonates at a particular frequency.

All molecules vibrate. There are many kinds of vibrations and frequencies, which coexist in nonlinear or complex molecules.

I suspect that the 'resonates at a particular frequency' is a New Agey misconception.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:29 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:

All molecules vibrate. There are many kinds of vibrations and frequencies, which coexist in nonlinear or complex molecules.

I suspect that the 'resonates at a particular frequency' is a New Agey misconception.

By "everything," I assumed the poster meant all objects.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:

At the molecular level all things do vibrate. Even at 0oK there is still a little. Resonance is an entirely different thing. The molecules in your butt and the molecules in your chair are vibrating, but your butt and the chair are not in resonance.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:43 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:

At the molecular level all things do vibrate.

I know, by "objects" I'm referring to "systems composes of molecules." Y'know, like chairs and butts and junk.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post by Bunyip » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:00 am

Sale of the power bracelets has been banned in Australia for nearly a year.

A WRISTBAND claiming to boost strength, balance and flexibility has been exposed as a fake.

The ACCC ordered Power Balance Australia to cease marketing its wristbands with claims of boosted sporting performance, and demanded they refund people already duped by the purported benefits.

Sports stars from Brendan Fevola to Damien Oliver have been seen with the faux performance enhancers on their wrists, but their scientific credentials have been well behind their marketing.

ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said the bands had been exposed as fake and warned people off them as a last-minute gift.

"I'm hoping they are not thinking it's a good idea," he said. "They cost a lot of money for something that may not do anything."

The wristbands were still available for $30 on Power Balance's website on Wednesday afternoon, but claims of their benefits had been removed, and would also be removed from packaging.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 5975163514
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.