Diamonds and Blood

Fun with supply and demand.
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Diamonds and Blood

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 22, 2017 7:18 pm

While it was filling up my tank this morning, the pump displayed on its video a nice story about a pair of diamond earrings that just sold for $97,000,000. Well, the world is screwed up in many ways, and I'm sure I'm complicit in the chaos, also in many ways. So this post is not a jeremiad, just a small vignette to show how diamonds and violence are connected. If Satan exists, he's got to be pleased. If God exists, one may be permitted to doubt whether he is pleased.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

― Frédéric Bastiat (1801–1850), French economist

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Diamonds and Blood

Post by Poodle » Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm

I would expect diamond earrings worth 97 million smackeroonies will be so heavy that the wearer's earlobes will gradually become severely distended. So there is still justice in the world.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Every asset is secured and kept by violence. Diamonds just remarkably stupid...... most people can't tell the difference between diamonds and broken glass...so I've never seen the interest.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Not to quibble tooooo much, but the record seems to be far less than that.... unless of course it is a new record that google can`t find.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/16/a-pair-o ... ecord.html

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 23, 2017 2:20 am

TJ--yeap. Don't know where the 97MM came from as the linked article seems to say the entire gem show sale grossed 94.5MM. Glitches and typos....when they count, you run into Mars.

Always of note regarding diamonds is the constant reminder that both Russia and De Beers supposedly keep "Billions" worth of diamonds off the market in order to keep their price high. Been a few years since last report of synthetic diamonds.... always a fun technology...... and I do love stories/tech regarding how they deposit diamond layers in industrial applications. "Materials Science." Evidently..... no end to what we don't know.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 am

It only matters if the diamonds are long lasting or not. Ask Dr Bassey :D

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue May 23, 2017 5:11 am

Those were the days when people used diamonds for what they are intended: building doomsday satellites!

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Tue May 23, 2017 11:31 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:While it was filling up my tank this morning, the pump displayed on its video a nice story ...
Video on a gas pump? Or is that a euphemism for drinking at the bar, watching TV?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 23, 2017 3:11 pm

fromthehills wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:While it was filling up my tank this morning, the pump displayed on its video a nice story ...
Video on a gas pump? Or is that a euphemism for drinking at the bar, watching TV?
No, some of the Mobile stations here actually have videos on the pumps. They figure our short attention spans just can't stand not to have something coming in for the 2 minutes it takes to fill a tank. :roll:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 23, 2017 3:13 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:TJ--yeap. Don't know where the 97MM came from as the linked article seems to say the entire gem show sale grossed 94.5MM. Glitches and typos....when they count, you run into Mars.

Always of note regarding diamonds is the constant reminder that both Russia and De Beers supposedly keep "Billions" worth of diamonds off the market in order to keep their price high. Been a few years since last report of synthetic diamonds.... always a fun technology...... and I do love stories/tech regarding how they deposit diamond layers in industrial applications. "Materials Science." Evidently..... no end to what we don't know.
Yeah, I couldn't find the $97M supposedly paid for a pair of earrings on line when I got home, but I had the idea of posting already, so I just looked for the next best story. Still I'm sure the fuel pump wasn't lying. Fuel pumps never do! :mrgreen:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 23, 2017 3:16 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Every asset is secured and kept by violence. Diamonds just remarkably stupid...... most people can't tell the difference between diamonds and broken glass...so I've never seen the interest.
Yeah, it just struck me as one of the great incongruities of the world, that anybody would pay an amount of money that I regard as obscene for a piece of shiny carbon crystal. But I try not to be judgmental, since I'm sure a lot of my expenditures could do more good if I was willing to make more sacrifices than I do. But I concur: Diamonds are a pure racket, as someone has already said. The market is artificially inflated.

And it could have been worse: At least it wasn't a Jackson Pollock painting.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Poodle wrote:I would expect diamond earrings worth 97 million smackeroonies will be so heavy that the wearer's earlobes will gradually become severely distended. So there is still justice in the world.
I've actually seen a few people who got earlobes down to their collar bones from wearing heavy earrings. Vanity of vanities, all is vanity!

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue May 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
fromthehills wrote:
No, some of the Mobile stations here actually have videos on the pumps. They figure our short attention spans just can't stand not to have something coming in for the 2 minutes it takes to fill a tank. :roll:
They probably have a study showing that a significant number of people will forget what they are doing and spill an extra couple of gallons on their foot.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
fromthehills wrote:
They probably have a study showing that a significant number of people will forget what they are doing and spill an extra couple of gallons on their foot.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Wed May 24, 2017 1:27 am

We have some of those video pumps too, but invariably they are pushing some advertisement. I hate them, since their noise sometimes causes me to miss the pump-cutie-voice telling me something important, like fuel flow will start, or stop, or to please be cafreful not to spill, etc.

And pumps that lie.... whodathunk it... :lol:

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed May 24, 2017 3:18 am

Weird.

Probably more rural here, so haven't seen those. But I have my own tanks. I just call the fuel guy and he comes and fills up to 500 gallons of diesel, and 300 gal of gasoline. Seems like a lot at one time, but I watch the prices and buy low. Plus, otherwise, I burn fuel to go get fuel. Either 2 hour round trip, or pay twice the going rate with the local bastard.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed May 24, 2017 3:26 am

Not to hijack the thread. Artificially placing value on some object that gets a lot of people killed is bad. Fuel doing that is at least understandable, albeit dubiously moral. Diamonds and gold, I really can't wrap my head around what makes them precious. I bought an axe made of munitions grade steel. Seems valuable. Make that from gold or diamonds and it's {!#%@}.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed May 24, 2017 3:51 am

Why does a peacock wear shiny feathers?
Luxury items are sexual signalling: or why else did you get that convertible?
The whole point of items of gold, diamond etc. is that no one needs them: you are signalling that you are so secure in all important things like shelter and food that you can afford to waste money on trinkets.
Of course, just like in the case of the peacock, its necessary to have more of this signal than the other bloke, so one must not only have a certain amount of diamonds, but more diamonds than the next competitor.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Why does a peacock wear shiny feathers?
The whole point of items of gold, diamond etc. is that no one needs them: you are signalling that you are so secure in all important things like shelter and food that you can afford to waste money on trinkets.
Of course, just like in the case of the peacock, its necessary to have more of this signal than the other bloke, so one must not only have a certain amount of diamonds, but more diamonds than the next competitor.
I understand what you mean. And that's fine. Except it's not.. I think we need to get the ludicrous idea that display of rich shite is still display of shite. And as sentient humans, the hope is to get beyond that.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 am

I fear all we humans can do is shift the display of richness to less wasteful displays of "I'm better than most": Youtube subscriptions and Facebook likes are displays of a kind of richness that don't require people to die in mines for.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Wed May 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:this post is not a jeremiad, just a small vignette
Quit making me look up words! :shakefist:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed May 24, 2017 1:44 pm

fromthehills wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:Why does a peacock wear shiny feathers?
I understand what you mean. And that's fine. Except it's not.. I think we need to get the ludicrous idea that display of rich shite is still display of shite. And as sentient humans, the hope is to get beyond that.

You two are both right. It would surely be desirable if we got away from consumerism altogether. The wisest people (well, I count them as wise---others may disagree) have always told us that "superfluous wealth can buy only superfluities". On the other hand, what are the chances that the human race as a whole is ever going to believe this and act upon it? I'm not optimistic there.

I remember once hopefully and unrealistically playing the lottery and imagining what I could do with all that wealth. I stopped playing, not for the very rational reason that I had no chance of winning, but for the realization that wealth is actually a curse. If you have a lot of money, you'll find yourself spending a lot of time simply looking after it and managing it. If you have sailboats and race horses and three houses, you have to "consume" those things. You have to spend time with them. And time is the one thing you can't hoard. If you spend it on one thing, it's not available for another.

For those who find great pleasure in sailing, a sailboat is a rational investment. For anybody else, the upkeep, the insurance, and the actual feeling that, having made this huge economic investment, one OUGHT to be out sailing would be an enormous burden. Well, maybe that's a bad example, since it IS precisely people who really enjoy sailing who buy sailboats. But I myself have a closet stuffed with clothes, most of which I never wear. Why did I acquire them? (Actually, why did my wife acquire them on my behalf? I don't buy clothes.) But I begin to ramble again...

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed May 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Speaking of superfluous...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ncis#img-1

Tried to pull the image in, it would have been funnier.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed May 24, 2017 2:08 pm

fromthehills wrote:Speaking of superfluous...

That is grotesque!!! Trump with his coprophagic grin and the Pope with a dignified scowl on his face. Hey, at least Melania and Ivanka remembered to cover their heads this time.

I'm going to try to bring the image in. You are right; it would be funnier that way:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm

TJrandom wrote:We have some of those video pumps too, but invariably they are pushing some advertisement. I hate them, since their noise sometimes causes me to miss the pump-cutie-voice telling me something important, like fuel flow will start, or stop, or to please be cafreful not to spill, etc.

And pumps that lie.... whodathunk it... :lol:
Maybe they're also intended to cause artificially long lines to make people think they're offering a bargain as precious as diamonds...

At one of the stations I occasionally (have to) stop extremely loud music/talk seems to start when you do. That's one I avoid as much as those with long lines...
Lard, save me from your followers.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Gord wrote:
No one is forcing you to understand them. Get a grip.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

That is grotesque!!! Trump with his coprophagic grin and the Pope with a dignified scowl on his face. Hey, at least Melania and Ivanka remembered to cover their heads this time.
Who's funeral are they attending?

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Thu May 25, 2017 1:16 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Who's funeral are they attending?

Their own, I believe.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:
No one is forcing you to understand them.
Yes I am!
Get a grip.
Medicate me. :beee:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu May 25, 2017 1:57 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Image
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Thu May 25, 2017 4:10 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

I'm going to try to bring the image in. You are right; it would be funnier that way:

Wasn`t there a TV show - The Adams Family?

Nobrot
Poster

Post by Nobrot » Thu May 25, 2017 6:44 am

The four of them look to be photo shopped in from different scenes, what's the misses looking at, is the photographers fly undone?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Wasn`t there a TV show - The Adams Family?
Yes, The Addams Family. Does the Pope look like Cousin Itt?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

Nobrot wrote:The four of them look to be photo shopped in from different scenes, what's the misses looking at, is the photographers fly undone?
:lol: :lol:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 am

Gord wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:Image

"One of these kids is not like the others. One of these kids is doing his own thing..." I can still hear that song; I didn't even have to click on the link. Heard it a million times when my kids were small. Thanks for the memories.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat May 27, 2017 1:20 am

Nobrot wrote:...what's the misses looking at, is the photographers fly undone?
She's looking back on her past life and regretting everything.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat May 27, 2017 1:24 am

...or at the guy that's trying very hard to make the pope smile for the camera :tease:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Sat May 27, 2017 4:04 am

When the photographer said "say cheese" Trump and Ivanka understood it but the pope and Melania thought he said "cut the cheese".
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Sat May 27, 2017 6:04 am

The Pope with some floozy.

Separated at birth?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun May 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Poodle wrote:The Pope with some floozy.

Separated at birth?
Hmm, she DOES look like I imagine Ivanka will look in a decade or two more, and the resemblance to the Pope is definitely there.